• Breaking News

    Sunday, September 13, 2020

    Home security: How can I get my elderly mom who lives alone to take home defense more seriously?

    Home security: How can I get my elderly mom who lives alone to take home defense more seriously?


    How can I get my elderly mom who lives alone to take home defense more seriously?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 02:09 PM PDT

    I live in another state from my mom. We are each other's last living family members. I live in another state, so she lives alone. She is very very resistant to moving.

    She has not ever been broken into or anything like that. I've installed an alarm system, put on security film on all of her windows and hardened her doors. I also installed some cameras in the interior and exterior.

    She is in no physical condition to accurately fire a gun, even with training, even a .22. She is in no condition to really take care of a dog either.

    What else can I do? Right now I am living with her because I can work remote. But we are set to go back to the office in January 2021.

    submitted by /u/Puzzleheaded_Oven_96
    [link] [comments]

    How do I avoid robbers in a student flat?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    I'm moving this week to my new flat for studying and sometimes I will be at my parent's house for some weeks. How can I avoid robbers to get in and stole things like my desktop computer or guitar?.

    submitted by /u/thedrenox
    [link] [comments]

    Detached Garage Window Bars

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    Wondering if anyone has found anything besides the few they have at HD or Lowes? Or if you built your own without needing a welder please share. I have a 6 ft by 3 ft large window in my garage that I like to keep the windows open in the summer to let the hot air out. I sometimes forget to close them at night. But even closed they are cheap windows that probably would not be to hard to break into anyway. It seems that everyone in the neighborhood has had their garage broken into so trying to avoid that since I have been buying a lot of tools lately. Thanks

    submitted by /u/handtossed
    [link] [comments]

    Defend home against gang?

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    Hey all

    My son messed with the wrong crowd and now the whole family is paying for it.

    Apparently my son pissed off a gang member's younger brother. Now they are going after us. A few nights ago, I woke up to a gun shot and a bullet hole in one of our room's wall. It was the room next to my son's room, our guest bedroom. I think they were trying to aim for him.

    I asked everyone how this could have happened and after some silence from my son, he finally confessed. Honestly, never thought my son would bully someone and never thought we would be targeted like this.

    We do have 2 Rottweilers and I have a shotgun and a G19. Other than that, nothing really that's suggested from this sub.

    What else can I do to protect my son? I can't opt him out of in person learning until next semester. I don't want him or anyone in the house to get shot, while in the house.

    The best I think i could do is ask the cops to patrol more. But even then the cops in my little city are useless unless we move to a better part if town, which we are now saving up for.

    Are there any cheap ways to bullet proof the windows and walls? We live in an old ass house made in the 50s.

    submitted by /u/Low-Somewhere-6503
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a brand who makes both battery powered doorbell cam and flood light cam?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 04:10 PM PDT

    Living in an older house and don't want to make any more holes than it needs. Was wondering if there's a company who makes both.

    Was narrowing it down to Eufy or Arlo but seems like neither does both.

    Bonus points if they make a zwave smart lock as well but not a deal breaker.

    submitted by /u/crutonic
    [link] [comments]

    Prevent someone from entering home while I'm away, even if they have the key?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 01:37 AM PDT

    Living an a condo where the building manager/countless contractors/developer employees have a master key to all units. Am prohibited from changing the lock.

    I have several solutions, such as a hotel lock for example, the ensure that no-one with the key can enter my home while I'm sleep. But what about while I'm away? Not sure what product I'm looking for, but something to make sure that even with the key a building manager or someone else isn't able to get it. But of course, I need to be able to get in.

    So far, the only thing I can come up with it an alarm/camera system, but that doesn't even prevent access.

    submitted by /u/InfoSecTrainee
    [link] [comments]

    Apartment security help...

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Apartment security help...

    The apartment we live in has this small lock and the door is extremely thin- we can hear every conversation in the hallway crystal clear as well as hearing neighbors inside their apartments when we are in the hallway. What things can I do to improve the security here? Only thing I can think of is strike plate screws and a security bar for the door. Its just such a thin door I cant imagine it would take much to get through.

    https://preview.redd.it/iq9nu61dvsm51.jpg?width=750&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=bc62a3f93cfcd2d50b2d7e0916e9567f636a3084

    submitted by /u/SatanSam
    [link] [comments]

    Need Help With Surveillance Outside Apartment

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:34 AM PDT

    Long story short, not sure what happened to set them off someone but lately I have been the victim of vandalism towards my car in my carport. I am too afraid to get my car detailed to correct some of the damage for fear of the culprit returning and ruining it again. The carport spot for my vehicle is approx 50-70ft away. I have a view of the very back of my car (from an angle) from my window (not a good view though). I am also on the second floor.

    I have talked with management to figure it out. I suspect neighbors (i'm not a common ethnicity in the not so friendly area) or someone from my past. Management refuses to let me move car port spots, refuses to install a camera in the roof overlooking my vehicle in the car port, and refuses quite frankly, to do anything. I don't have the money right now to move

    My idea was to get a simple stick up cam from Ring and screw it in pretty high. But I have heard the range is pretty s***. Also heard Arlo is good but these seem too consumer-like for me.

    I currently have a full Ubiquiti system running 225 down and 15 up from Spectrum. My system consists of USG + 60w POE switch + NanoHD. At my carport spot my wifi strength is -70 dbm with 80 down and 10 up (mbps obviously), this is through 2 concrete walls on a decline to my spot about 50-70ft away. I do not have access to a power outlet/line of any sorts at the carport location. I am limited to batteries and wireless. I am basically on my own to install.

    What are my options good folks, help me out!

    submitted by /u/BadLuckKupona
    [link] [comments]

    Affordable outdoor camera?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 12:25 AM PDT

    I live in a apartment and have had a constant problem for the past 6 months. Almost Every night sometime between 12 am and 2 am someone knocks loudly on my door. The bastards are fast and are never there when I look out the window (I will not open the door, I live in a bad neighborhood, I'm a mom who's partner works nights so I'm alone with the children at home when this happens) because of the time I can't imagine its children playing a prank, I'm not friends with any of my neighbors but we also don't have any hostility towards each other (at least as far as I know since there are no complaints one either side).

    So I'm basically looking for an affordable outdoor camera, like I said I live in a bad neighborhood so obviously we aren't exactly the most well off. I had bought one a few months ago but it was so glitchy and it would shut off randomly.

    submitted by /u/justatemp82
    [link] [comments]

    New to this. What are some good home defense weapons outside of firearms???

    Posted: 12 Sep 2020 10:22 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment