• Breaking News

    Monday, August 10, 2020

    Home security: I sleep next to patio glass doors and the proximity sensor went off meaning some large Mammal or Person came up to my glass door.

    Home security: I sleep next to patio glass doors and the proximity sensor went off meaning some large Mammal or Person came up to my glass door.


    I sleep next to patio glass doors and the proximity sensor went off meaning some large Mammal or Person came up to my glass door.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 02:00 PM PDT

    Should I get a firearm or get some external fense or wall for my patio area? Anyone can walk up to patio area of my townhouse.

    submitted by /u/xerxes7777
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision ColorVu Is the light always on in low light situations?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    Does the light of a ColorVu camera only turn on when it detects motion? Can it even detect motion with the light off? Does the light only turn on when it detects motion or is it always on in low light situations?

    submitted by /u/OccultMonk
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor Cameras and motion lights?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    Is there a current consensus on which oens are the best? No subscription for the cameras if possible, unless subscription models are advised?

    submitted by /u/1L_of_a_litigator
    [link] [comments]

    Need a System Fast: Thinking Arlo Pro 3 or give Lorex a chance?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 03:11 AM PDT

    Hello and thanks!

    So, long story short, caught someone trying to open a locked window today (he was trying to find his female friend who wasn't home). I don't think he'll be coming by again, but I want to get some cameras up ASAP. Been meaning to, regardless (just got confused by all the options available). I live on Maui though, and it seems I'm very limited in my choices of what's available in store.

    Costco has the Arlo Pro 3 in stock and I also think it has (Lorex 8-Channel 5MP DVR Security System with 2TB HDD and 4 5MP Active Deterrence Cameras with Color Night Vision™) in stock. The second being a wired system.

    I live in a neighborhood, the houses are fairly close together (maybe 20 feet max between them on the sides). Although once someone gets to the side of my house, they have privacy. Can only enter from the front, unless they go through a neighbors yard and jumps a fence. 1 story house, with an attic.

    Would love any possible feedback on the below.

    1. I like how easy the Arlo Pro is to set up, being wirelsss. While with the Lorex, it looks like I have to drill and connect the wire in to the back of the mounts? (not sure how easy that is going to be)
    2. I saw, if the Arlo Pro 3 is pointed towards a busy or active area, it could drain the battery really quickly? (but I think it can be plugged in for power?) Kids play in front of the house.
    3. Looks like the Lorex can be recording all the time, while the Arlo Pro 3 only records when it senses motion and then stops when no motion?
    4. I read the Arlo Pro 3 can have issues when more than one camera is streaming to the hub at once? (I have a 22 mbps upload speed if it matters)
    5. If I don't pay the subscription for Arlo Pro 3, video saves to a USB, would I be able to access that through the app or would need to plug the USB in to a computer?

    Today I was just going to grab the Arlo Pro 3, but costco closed at 6 pm. I could be "one of those" people and just get the Arlo Pro 3, if it doesn't work well... have something better shipped (suggestions?) and return the system. Or would go with the Lorex be better? I actually like this Lorex 4k UHD more, but 3 - 5 days shipping. Not too bad.

    Any and all feedback, totally welcomed. This is my first time with security cameras, if it wasn't obvious.

    submitted by /u/FunSprinkles8
    [link] [comments]

    Arlo pro 2 better than pro 3?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 10:28 AM PDT

    I've been wanting to buy a home security system for a while now. Corona and being at home virtually 24/7 has made this a lower priority than it would otherwise be but I should really get a move on...

    I really am heavily tempted by having cloud storage. That way if I am away and something is recorded I can access it and share it with the authorities- on site storage seems risky as they can always steal/smash my machine.

    I read however that the more recent arlos do not offer this without an expensive subscription. But with the older arlos you can get 7 days of storage free, which should be plenty for my purposes.

    Can anyone confirm the truth of this?

    And what would I be missing between the two? Has anyone had a play with both to tell the difference?

    submitted by /u/Josquius
    [link] [comments]

    complex requirement security system.

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    My house is about 6.5k square feet single story, almost every wall is cinder block and attic is to tight to run wires 4" gaps between beams. the last system I got couldn't connect to any camera farther then 30 feet from the dvr, most of the best spots for cameras are about 60 feet from the center of the house where I would keep the dvr. there is power at all the locations. what I want out of a system is 6+ cameras 1080p+ recording 24/7 to a central dvr 2+tb but through a wireless network strong enough to go through all the walls. cost doesn't matter. any suggestions are help full.

    submitted by /u/rysnap
    [link] [comments]

    Advice for security measures?

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 05:47 AM PDT

    I'm not sure if this is the right forum so kindly redirect me if it's not.

    I (24M) currently live on the third floor of an apartment building in the US and because of tighter finances I'll be moving to a smaller apartment on the first floor in a week.

    I mostly just wanted to hear if anyone has any solid advice for security measures for living on the ground level facing the street, it would give me a bit more peace of mind at night. Before anyone asks I'm not interested in buying a firearm but a bat wouldn't be out of the question. Here's a few things I'm already doing:

    -Got the landlord to replace the locks so there's no way the last tenant has a spare key to the place

    -Replacing the screws that hold the deadbolt into the door with much longer ones, I read somewhere this can buy you precious time if someone tries to kick down the door (not that it would matter much because the door is about 50% window)

    -The windows actually have little latches on them that prevent them from being opened more than two inches if they are unlocked but two of the windows will have AC units in them. For these I'll cut wooden dowels to fit in the window frame and accomplish the same thing

    -Putting up curtains so people hopefully can't look in and see if I'm home or if I'm worth robbing

    I'll answer any additional questions in the comments.

    submitted by /u/Tealsworth
    [link] [comments]

    Scantronic ION expander help!

    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    We've recently installed a scantronic ION40H alarm system, and I'm having problems addressing the 10 zone wired expander exp-w10. It sounds like it's been successful in getting an address, but then proceeds to beep for about 30secs. There are other keypads on the same bus connection, daisy chained through the expander, so I don't think it's a problem with the cable. The display on it says 1-03, on a repeating cycle. Any help appreciated

    submitted by /u/harriherring
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment