• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 29, 2020

    Home security: How can I find a quality small safe?

    Home security: How can I find a quality small safe?


    How can I find a quality small safe?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 12:24 PM PDT

    Looking on Amazon, pretty much every safe has terrible reviews showing awful worksmanship with the safes literally breaking apart with normal use (not even attempted forced entry) and being broken into with a Bic pen. Does anyone know of a safe brand that doesn't suck?

    I'm specifically looking for like a 30 pound fireproof safe that locks with a key.

    submitted by /u/fresheneesz
    [link] [comments]

    Security system for home DIY

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 09:26 AM PDT

    I will preface this with I live in a very safe city but a decent neighbourhood nestled between two poorer areas and buses from downtown. The local area is seniors, renters or new homeowners that take pride in their place and are improving it. The area is gentrifying.

    Crime to date has been low-effort theft from unlocked cars, things stolen from a deck and that's it. A neighbour who has lived on her street has had a basement window broken and a couple cheap cable locks cut for stealing bikes.

    We've lost some low-value but high annoyance items from the car and deck like change, a winter jacket, steel toe rubber boots, Costco package of paper towel, an emergency car blanket.

    Local police crime mapping shows this is mostly the norm.

    My house is small 2 story, with a large detached garage with a big driveway. The house is on the sidewalk side and has some streetlight coverage. The street we are in is a semi-major cut through between two larger streets so there's a fair bit of vehicle and walking traffic

    Doors are Segal locks that I'm recylindering with medecos . The glass in the doors need to have bars but just need tweaks to be decent for our needs. I have a sliding patio door to the back that could use a security bar but has an integrated drop bar

    I'm keen on 3M window film for all the windows but that's on hold until some ground level windows are replaced.

    With the garage, the man door is solid with very good reinforcement. Window has bars and a blind to hide anything. The garage door is going to be replaced and secured better.

    Big ticket items in the garage are to be chained/bolted down and tools are in a secured job box.

    A spare car sits in the driveway, I should remember to move it periodically. I WFH for now so very limited opportunities for a B&E

    New wooden fences with new gates, looking at reasonable locks for them

    Lighting is excellent to the back, lighting in the front sucks but is to be improved with 2 new floodlights

    Camera system is coming and is to be installed soon. American made Arecont, hardwired, off the net, etc. I may eventually get an ALPR setup for vehicle traffic

    So the final key to this puzzle is an alarm system. I'm thinking DIY as I'm very handy and familiar with electronics, programming, Linux and arduinos and the like.

    I'm looking for a system that I can start small to begin with and expand. I want commercial quality, not cheap Chinese IOT. I'm looking for glass break sensors, door opening detection on the house, garage and garage doors. I will need 3 keypads. I won't be wiring in smokes. I would like UPS and eventually both network and cellular out. I'm debating wireless vs wired sensors as this is an old house. A high power siren will be in the house and perhaps one outside... I've also been meaning to see how difficult it would be to buy into a monitoring company with a self-install. Eventually I'd like to get a panic fob for my wife as she can be skittish.

    Thoughts? I'm finding it a bit difficult to figure out between an elk or vista 20p. What are some good resources to get started, especially with programming? Normally I'd have tons more time to deep dive but I have a family and a ton of other projects lined up

    submitted by /u/Newtodiesels
    [link] [comments]

    Cancelled ADT will i get first bill refunded

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    Idk if this is the right place to post but I canceled my ADT contract with in the 3 day cancellation period. I have been refunded the $138 one time payment but was wondering if i will get back the $83 they charged me for the first bill. They charged me the $83 (which was pro rated end of august plus September i think) on the day they installed the system. Will i get that $83 back i only had the system 2 days

    submitted by /u/johnson_carter911
    [link] [comments]

    [Canada] Bought/Moved into a home with vivint gear

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    Previous owners cancelled their contract; the house still has a vivint doorbell camera and central hub. The house also has dozens of other sensors (at least 2 previous iterations of systems in the house) - but some are definitely newer and tied to the Vivint install.

    I have a smattering of questions: 1. Anything to consider before trying to negotiate with Vivint on re-enabling services? Haven't done tons of research on them, but am aware of mixed reviews, and that their 'attractive' monthly prices require certain amounts of hardware spend (not opposed to 'smartening' our garage doors and adding a camera, but certainly don't want to over-commite with Vivint).

    1. Odds of being able to access the unlabled sensors if I opt for unmonitored DIY route (new hub, new doorbell cam)?

    2. Any recommendations for a hub based on the above? We also have 2 Kwikset 910 locks, 2 Nest thermostats (2 furncaes), several Google Home devices, Phillips Hue bulbs, smart plugs, house has some newer Samsung appliances, and we're planning to install several new smart switches. iPhones and Macs. Tech savvy, but short on time these days w/ wrangling a toddler. It seems like the DIY hub market has really stagnated? Seeing a lot of mixed reviews on Samsung Smart Things, which seems like the last 'big player' still standing?

    3. Any re-sale market for the used Vivint devices?

    4. Anything new coming on the horizon to look out for? My gut says the home automation market is going to look vastly different in 2-4 years...I just don't know how. Part of me feels like 'plug and play' with Vivint for a few years might be the easiest/efficient route at the moment, though I am certainly wary of the 'out clause' situation. I should add that we could see ourselves living in this house for decades, but that we will be re-assessing a possible re-location (near or far) in 3-4 years based on several factors (I'd say 51% sure we'll stay long-term).

    submitted by /u/powderjunkie11
    [link] [comments]

    Window Sensors vs. Break Glass

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    Been considering my alarm system, I'm still pretty basic and have 11 "reachable" windows.

    Considering doing 2 or 3 glass break detectors instead of window sensors? Thoughts on the efficacy of those detectors?

    submitted by /u/itwashotiwashungry
    [link] [comments]

    Good alarm for vacant houses that will work with cellular backup or Sim card

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    Proper tools for attic run

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    So I have a house that was built earlier this year, it's one of those mass construction houses, so i didn't get a choice as too what to have in there, and to be honest I was not thinking about running security cameras until recently.

    What sort of tools do I need to be able to properly drill holes from my attic down towards the eaves of my roof? I don't want to make holes to big or to small, I want so that wires from a secuity camera can easily pass through.

    For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-5-8-in-x-24-in-Shockwave-Lineman-s-Impact-Auger-Bit-48-13-6804/303196427

    The above is 5/8 inch drill bit that is usually used by line men to drill holes in tree trunks. Is that overkill? I'd like to get perspective from others about a clean install. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/CHIREU
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment