• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 29, 2020

    Home security: Cancel ADT?

    Home security: Cancel ADT?


    Cancel ADT?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    I like my hardwired system but don't want to pay for ADT anymore, after being out of contract for several years. Anyone successfully transition to a cheaper company without changing equipment? I looked into Ring retrofit but apparently it doesn't support my hardwired siren and keypad.

    submitted by /u/evert1de101
    [link] [comments]

    Abode

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 08:49 PM PDT

    I'm about to sign up with Abode, does anyone have an additional inside or outside sirens? I was thinking of getting the outisde one, its rated 107dB. This system will be installed at a single family home. For cameras I was thinking of getting an independent system something like Lorex unless someone can suggest aomething better. Please clarify if you recommend something else.

    My motivation for choosing this is because these cameras will be all be placed outdoors and need to handle various weather conditions. It's price point is another reason. Appreciate your helpful feedback!

    5MP Lorex

    submitted by /u/Simple-90s
    [link] [comments]

    Reactivating a Vista 20P fault codes

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    I am in the process of reactivating a Vista 20P (with ADT Safewatch Pro keypads).

    I had all of my windows replaced and (per my request) the installers left the wires intact and exposed). I went back and twisted all of the pairs of wires together at the windows to complete the circuit.

    I fired up the panel and got an error code on a zone. I used a really long wire to check for continuity between each location in that zone and the wire coming off the panel in the box for that same zone. I found one window that still wasn't making a connection (assuming there is a break in that wire) so jumped the wires in my basement. Fired the panel back up and still have the fault.

    I went in my basement ceiling and tested continuity between the two leads coming down from every window. They were all good to go (except the one I jumped). Fired up the panel, still have a fault on the zone.

    I took the leads out of the box and twisted them together. I went around untwisting my wires at each window one-by-one and ran a multimeter between those leads to check for resistance and it seems as though the circuit is complete at every window (except the one I jumped).

    Is there a chance that I need to reset the faults on the panel itself? If the circuit makes a complete loop, it shouldn't have any faults, right? What else might I be missing?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/Polymath123
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with a XL-2T alarm system

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 04:49 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I bought a home that had a XL-2T alarm pannel installed with two XL4600SM LED keyped. (No LCD screen). The system is not connected with an alarm company or anything.

    The previous owner gave me the code to arm / disarm the system which work, but I want to change it for obvious reasons.

    I found this programming manual that explain how to get in the installer programming mode ( [CODE button] * 2468 1 where 2468 is the default installer code and 1 is to enter programming mode). That part works! So yay, I have the installer code.

    The same manual also says to press [CODE button] 2468 03 1234 , where 2468 is the installer code, 03 is the user number (there are 15 users, 01 and 02 are installers and can't disarm or arm the system) and 1234 is the new code... however that part doesn't work. After doing this, there's no longer beep or any kind of beep sequence to aknolewdge the code is set (there's some kind of beep to confirm I successfully entered in programming mode, so I expected one to confirm the code change), and of course the code is not working.

    Anyone have a suggestion?

    Edit : I found out the solution. My mystake was that I thought the installer code (default 2468) and the master code (default 1234) were the same thing, but it turns out they are not. The code the previous owner gave me was not the master code either, so I couldn't use it to change the code either.

    The solution was to reset the user codes by going into programming mode ( [CODE] * 2468 1 ) and then pressing 7 and 9 at the same time. The system reboots, and the new master user code is 1234. From there I could use the expected procedure to change the code and as a bonus I know it cleared all other existing codes as well \o/ (If anybody ends up here from a google search or something, disconnect your horn or something first because some of the sources I found about this said it triggered the alarm instead of clearing the user codes and they could only stop it by powering off the whole thing)

    submitted by /u/PatPatate
    [link] [comments]

    Use Power Adapter for Smart Doorbell - How do I hear a chime?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    I may be overlooking something obvious. But if I have a smart doorbell that's connected directly to it's power adapter and no chime, what option do I have to hear the doorbell ring inside the house? Is it only via smartphone notifications?

    I currently have a Ring doorbell and changing it to Ubiquiti

    submitted by /u/mp1845
    [link] [comments]

    Already have cameras, camera company went out of business... can I still use them?

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    Hi, I have a bunch of security cameras from telpix, and I tried hooking them up to a computer -- it did not work. I'm trying to see if the cameras can still be used or if there's no way to use them now. Would a DVR work?

    submitted by /u/money-car
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for camera system

    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    Purchasing a home and the wife has noted that she wants a camera system. She seems fond of the Ring doorbell, I'm ambivalent to brand but if we are installing I want it to be all the way and not just a doorbell.

    I've mapped out where we will need 3 indoor cameras, 3 outdoor cameras and the doorbell. I'd like to have the option to install more later if I need them. I'd prefer POE for some/most but there is an inside 1 and the doorbell that would need to be wifi. There is a shed/man cave I'd be running some of the stuff out of for the angels etc. so the shed will have wired power/ wired internet.

    I'm torn on selfhost/cloud storage, I dont mind paying a small fee. I'd like night vision, and the ability to check on the phones & notifications. 2 way speakers would be nice...

    Monitored systems are not off the table as long as we can still check with phones, etc. as the discount off the insurance may make the difference.

    Decent internet speeds, assume 20/200. I'm competent with tech and don't mind installing things as long as I have a fallback customer service number in case things go totally left field.

    So, I guess the next thing is "What are your suggestions?"

    submitted by /u/PalmettoBrian
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment