• Breaking News

    Thursday, August 20, 2020

    Home security: Honest opinions on Kuna?

    Home security: Honest opinions on Kuna?


    Honest opinions on Kuna?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 06:00 PM PDT

    Anybody love or hate Kuna? What would be your pros and cons? I have a friend who has Kuna and loves it, never had an issue. But then I see some of the amazon reviews on it and get concerned.

    If you're not a fan of Kuna, what would you recommend? We're interested in a system that looks nice, and doesn't look like a bunch of cameras. Something that I can pull up on my phone while working etc. We have good WiFi.

    Also, we don't mind having to pay a monthly subscription price for an app on our phone.

    submitted by /u/AfraidBullfrog5
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision vs Dahua DVR

    Posted: 20 Aug 2020 12:23 AM PDT

    I planned to buy a 4 CH DVR .. it's between the top 2 brands .. hikvision vs Dahua.

    Which one has better firmware/security updates record?

    I currently have dahua cameras and planned in buying hikvision cameras (prices got better lately)... can I mix dahua and hikvision cameras on dahua or hikvision DVR ?

    submitted by /u/yeahman2017
    [link] [comments]

    Napco iBridge Touchscreen Wireless Alarm Keypad

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 04:59 PM PDT

    Moved into a new house recently that has a Napco GEM-P9600 alarm system. The keypads are really old and I was thinking about trying to upgrade. Does anyone know if the Napco iBridge Touchscreen Wireless Alarm Keypad will work with this system?

    submitted by /u/SpinakerMan
    [link] [comments]

    Psychotic neighbor and sneaky ex-husband - looking for recommendations on a home security system.

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    Hi! I'm hoping I can get some recommendations on a home security systems that are reasonably priced ranging from just cameras I can install myself to security system companies. Price is my main constraint, I was figuring to just get a couple cameras to install myself but open to going with a company if it's reasonably priced and offers significantly more benefit. Thank you all for your thoughts!

    submitted by /u/nobutsmeow99
    [link] [comments]

    Touch alarm against nasty neighbor?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 03:59 AM PDT

    Hey there! I'm having an issue with a sneaky neighbor using our washing machine, they are all located in a communal room but have separate water meters. Water bills can be pretty expensive where I live, so I was wondering if anyone knows of some kind of affordable alarm system that would notify me whenever someone was messing with our machine's water hose. Cameras would be nice, but probably not allowed here. We can turn off the machine's energy from our home, but I've heard people just connect the water to their own machines, so if you know of a way to prevent that it would be nice. I'd love to know who this lovely person is, but preventing this from happening again should be our priority :)

    submitted by /u/mehvns
    [link] [comments]

    Exterior doors and toddler (physical security)

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    We moved my (2yrs) son's room to the largest secondary bedroom in our home due to a leak in his old room, deciding to make it a permanent room. The problem is, this room was specifically designed by the builder to be a guest suite, meaning it has its own patio and separate entry from that patio. Our toddler has been able to operate doors since before he could walk, and he's recently become much more interested in them, having locked me out a couple times when I was grilling by turning the deadbolt. We want to prevent him from getting out and getting hurt, as he can turn the deadbolt. The doors to the patio swing outward, and they are double doors (not French doors), the kind that has a lever and deadbolt on one side and the other side is latched in place by bolts on the top and bottom.l but has no latch. Unfortunately there is a ridge installed on the non-latched door on the interior, I'm assuming to prevent the other door from swinging too far inward and stressing the hinges, and to assist in weather sealing (there is weatherstripping on the other side of this ridge, exterior).

    Because of this ridge/doorstop of sorts, no conventional security bolts or such things can be installed on the interior either across both doors (like the types you see in hotel rooms) or between them (like the kinds that swing over). Because they swing outward they could be installed on the outside but this would be prevent us from going out the door, and this would make it a fire safety issue. I tried a sliding bolt, only to find that there is no place to install a strike plate. Then I thought I could improvise and rout out a hole for the bolt to go into, but the bolt is low-profile and there is weatherstripping where it would slide in.

    The doors are taller than standard, plus they are heavier. The latched side that we would actually use to go in and out is also difficult to open even for me sometimes because of the way it closes and meets the other door, but our toddler is an escape artist—he's surprised us many times in what he can do if he puts his mind to it, and we aren't willing to take chances. The door has an electronic smart lock, but again, it has a deadbolt on the interior, so we also can't turn it around and reinstall it backwards without completely defeating the point of a door lock.

    So, here I am asking for advice. Is there another type of interior door security that would work for this type of double doors that swing out, and wouldn't compromise weather sealing? My only option as I see it is to replace the door lever with a knob and add a child proof cover onto it, but wanted to see what others thought or if there were other options that I'm just not seeing. I feel as though they didn't mean for this to be a small child's room, but there have to be physical security options for this type of door, right?

    submitted by /u/the_paradox_lounge
    [link] [comments]

    Bedroom Door Security

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 02:51 AM PDT

    Hey all! Hope you are all well and safe. I need some input on the best ways to secure a bedroom door.

    The situation: My younger brother has problems with stealing alcohol, money, and anything else he can get his hands on from my parents. So after this happened several times the decision was made to put anything and everything he can't have in my room and we put a ≈$30 brinks exterior door lock on the door. This lock has the small second bolt that is supposed to keep it from being opened with a credit card. But somehow he keeps breaking in. I don't think he is picking the lock. It's already a hassle having to lock and unlock my door, so I don't want to just add a deadbolt as that's just twice the annoyance. The best idea I have had is to get a brinks digital deadbolt. How secure are those to picking/bumping/decoding?

    submitted by /u/No-Bottle-3824
    [link] [comments]

    Need some help on a simple security setup

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 07:35 AM PDT

    Thanks in advance for your help,

    My wife and I are expecting a baby here in the next month and we'd like to up our home security a bit. We're in a fairly safe neighborhood so we want to keep it simple.

    What I'm thinking of doing is placing contact sensors and outdoor cameras on all exterior doors. I want to do it myself, but I'm not really eager to go through the hassle of running cat5 to the cameras. We don't feel the need to have 24/7 monitoring of the home security which is why I would like something to allow me to set custom rules on how to handle alerts. It would be nice if the cameras had a bit of storage so we could go back like 8 hours to view triggered events.

    Any suggestions on products would be helpful. I wasn't sure if I should go the simple route and do simplisafe or Wyze, or if you all had some suggestions.

    If you'd like more information let me know I'll be checking this often.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ImSoSchmad
    [link] [comments]

    Vivint never came to reclaim equipment

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 10:47 AM PDT

    I canceled Vivint during the 3 days grace period a month ago and when the installer was here we waiting on the phone with customer service for a while. I ended up canceled service after he left and I think he marked all my equipment as pulled ? I have all of my cancelation information for everything including my loan but no one has called about reclaiming the equipment. When can I consider this equipment mine?

    submitted by /u/AdvertisingFunny
    [link] [comments]

    Wireless and wired dvr camera with network

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    Im looking to upgrade ny current system that is wired with one that is both wired and wireless ao i can add more cameras. I qould also like to be3able to see it remotely on my phone and get alerts. Thanks

    submitted by /u/salsashark99
    [link] [comments]

    I need a standalone battery powered camera that records to an SD card

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 09:57 AM PDT

    I need a camera for outside that doesn't require any kind of internet or computer/screen connectivity and runs on batteries.

    All the cameras i can find require a wifi connection or have to be connected to a computer or proprietary box to setup but these are no good.

    I have no idea what to even search for, can anyone help?

    submitted by /u/CodeineMartin
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get a security system through a company or purchase my own devices?

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 06:16 AM PDT

    I'm moving into a house soon and I want some sort of home security surveillance. Locally, we have Vivint, but I'm not sure if they're any good. Thanks for any help!

    submitted by /u/Wildwarrior94
    [link] [comments]

    how do you disable a window sensor? PLEASE HELP. I’m desperate guys.

    Posted: 19 Aug 2020 06:12 AM PDT

    (Skip to second paragraph if you don't want my reasoning as to why I need help disabling a window sensor.)

    My mom is a Karen. I'm 16 with a curfew of 8:30. We have a vivant security system with a camera at the front door and those locks that send an alert to my moms phone when unlocked on both the front and back doors. I've been able to sneak out when she forgets to lock the back door. However tonight I came home the the back door locked (I left it unlocked when I left so the notification wouldn't be sent to her phone) and had to unlock it with a code, window sensor it sent a notification to her phone. When I got in I cleared the notification from her phone, but if she goes into the app she'll see it, and if I keep sneaking out this way I'll probably be caught.

    We have simple window sensors in the basement. (I'm pretty sure it's the kind that uses magnets, I attached a link to an image of the kind I have) can someone please give advice on how to disable/make sure the alarm will not go off when I open the window?

    submitted by /u/megginan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment