• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 11, 2020

    Home security: Wireless(wifi ideally) trip sensor that will send alerts to my phone while I'm out? What is best/what works well?

    Home security: Wireless(wifi ideally) trip sensor that will send alerts to my phone while I'm out? What is best/what works well?


    Wireless(wifi ideally) trip sensor that will send alerts to my phone while I'm out? What is best/what works well?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 11:20 PM PDT

    I am having trouble finding what I want.

    Basically I want laser trip sensors(so, only will go off if someone taller than a dog or cat walks past as it would be about hip height) around my property. I find motion detector systems in cameras give too many false alerts. All I need to know is if a human sized object has walked up my driveway, walked around the back of my house etc. From there I would access my home video system and see if its anything to worry about or just a delivery or something less neferious.

    What is a good(ideally not too expensive) system or option? I only need 2 or 3 sensors. Am happy to change batteries in them regularly. If anyone knows a DIY option that would be OK too.

    Really appreciate the help. Cheers.

    submitted by /u/kidnapisnofun
    [link] [comments]

    How to power on DSC PC1500RK keypad?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 09:17 PM PDT

    The DSC system in my home has been disconnected for many years and I'm trying to bring it back on. The wiring seems to be consistent with the installation manual but keypads remain off and I'm not sure how to turn them on.

    Here's a picture of the keypad. My guess is that the keypad battery has died but I couldn't find any manual or online video on how to replace them. Any help is appreciated on how these keypads are powdered and where I should start to look into why they have no power.

    submitted by /u/rand2000
    [link] [comments]

    My door got locked picked at 3 am

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 03:57 AM PDT

    I live in the basement. Yesterday night, I heard a noise that sounded like my door was being unlocked.

    There was a sound of the door being unlocked. Click*

    and, there was the sound of the door being opened. Thud*

    I didn't think much of it because I thought I might have misheard something from upstairs. Today when I went to the door, it was opened. I tested the noise to see if I heard what I heard and I am pretty sure I heard the click* and thud* from last night. I tested to see if the door could open itself if the lock wasn't latched all the way. It couldn't, even if I pulled.

    The chances of me not remembering to close the door, and not hearing the sound I heard is low.

    How would I go about preventing the person from lock picking my door again? Im looking for the cheapest way while being effective. I am okay with the method being crude.

    I supposed he didn't enter the basement because he saw that the light to my bathroom was on.

    I could hear the sound of the door being opened because I sleep down the hallway where the door is. The sound of the door opening echos down the hallway clearly.

    submitted by /u/boiboi131
    [link] [comments]

    New Homeowner - Looking for basic advice

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 10:40 AM PDT

    Hi - I just moved into a new home and there is a security system installed. I'm not positive but it looks just like the DSC PK5500 when i compare it to photos online.

    I contacted the security company (i'm honestly not exactly sure what they do) and they said I'd need to get a landline phone and the cost would be $30/month for monthly monitoring. An alternative they offered is that they can come install a wireless panel so no landline necessary but the cost would be $50/month (plus $250 installation).

    This is all new to me - I don't really want a DIY option so I'm tempted to just use the system already in place. Is this a reasonable option or would I be making a mistake? TIA!

    submitted by /u/rogerlittle1
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations needed: DIY integration-friendly replacement for my old Visonic Powermax+

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    I have a 12-year-old Visonic Powermax+ and I love it but it's finally dying. All of the sensors are going through rotating cycles of losing supervision which means it's probably a panel or antenna problem. It might be time for a replacement.

    My favorite thing about this panel is that I have it fully integrated into all of my local home automation, which is very old-school, nothing in the cloud. I'm monitoring via X10 outputs and I can arm/disarm the panel using the PowerLink APIs. I've been thinking of connecting it directly to OpenHab using the binding for the PowerLink serial protocol, but I haven't done that yet.

    The Powermax+ is all-wireless but that's not a requirement for me. My motion sensors need to be wireless but I have the ability to wire everything else.

    I've been thinking about getting a DSC 1832. It seems to meet all of the requirements and looks to be very automation-friendly (there's a mature OpenHab binding for this one as well). I know most people are moving in a different direction but I have zero interest in SimpliSafe or anything of that nature.

    I'm a bit worried though, because this line of DSC products seems to be several years old. I found a few online stores with stock, but can I trust that it's new? Are these still being made and do you think they will be for the foreseeable future?

    Also is there anything else you'd recommend considering? I looked at the ELK M-1 but I think the DSC looks better for my needs. Thanks for any advice!

    submitted by /u/TheOneTheyCallAlpha
    [link] [comments]

    ???I need help reprogramming gui on DVR cctv. Is it possible

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    I have a client that has multiple properties we have cam'd up. Currently he can access all the properties from 1 app. Those dvr have since been disco'dbut we have more jobs for him. I'd love to just add the current gui (superlive plus) to the rom In the DVR. Simple isn't it?? Help me out family

    submitted by /u/jettblkk
    [link] [comments]

    DIY or Buy?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    First timer looking at a new outdoor wired POE camera system for home. Something like a Reolink 16 channel/ 8 camera system from amazon vs buying a switch and some cameras and doing more work (I'm fine with work if it shows in the results). I think I would rather have a dedicated pc / network for this. I like to tinker with things and having options/control pleases me. also, I hate slow interfaces (think cheap smart TV's). Is there a significant difference between the 2 options? quality vs price? 4-8 cameras, room for growth (indoor). trying to keep under $1000, but if $100 more makes a big difference, $1100 it is. Have a spare PC (win/linux) already to dedicate, would just be switch w/ POE, cameras, and wiring/hardware, and software (open source or otherwise). thoughts or recommendations?

    submitted by /u/frostybeer
    [link] [comments]

    Help picking a camera please?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 07:39 AM PDT

    So I need to get at least 2 cameras to monitor my front and rear gardens. I have been looking at getting indoor cameras and then putting an external IR light source on the wall in the back. The street lamps out front do a good enough job for that zone.

    What I would like is a cheap camera that is able to record directly to my pc, rather than to an SD so I can back it up to the cloud and not lose footage if some breaks in and just takes the camera.

    Any ideas? My garden goes back about 25m I'd say.

    submitted by /u/luffychan13
    [link] [comments]

    ways to know if an intruder's been in?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    what are simple techniques with which i can tell instantly when i come home whether someone's got in? only way i know is the anime "death note" mechanical pencil method.

    submitted by /u/Bite-Expert
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment