• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 18, 2020

    Home security: VRBO Burglary Defense

    Home security: VRBO Burglary Defense


    VRBO Burglary Defense

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 07:44 AM PDT

    The spouse is about to lose their minds in quarantine, so we're going on a nice VRBO vacation in a couple of days. The VRBO owner informed us last night there was a break-in, and laptops were stolen - suspect they burglar came in through an unlocked door/window. This house has 3 basic deadbolts (2 right beside windows), and sliding glass patio door. No alarm, no cameras. I was already concerned about the safety of the house. Last night I bought 3 indoor wireless cameras (not the best choices but had to prioritize shipping.) The spouse thinks I'm being paranoid, and it will be total meltdown if I try to stop this trip. What else do you guys recommend?

    submitted by /u/Emotional_Brother518
    [link] [comments]

    Terminating RJ-45 male ends for PoE cameras

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 11:41 AM PDT

    There are archived threads on this, but posts on those are not allowed (hence, archived).

    https://www.reddit.com/r/homedefense/comments/6rsal3/help_with_terminating_poe_cable_for_ip_camera/

    This link has good info, but the most important is why the crimp ends don't work but the supplied cables do. I know the wire order is correct as I made a 50 ft. Ethernet cable and tested it on my laptop and it connected to my internal network fine. I then used it for one of the cameras and it just sits there trying to negotiate. Does it have to do with resistance at the crimp ends being too resistive and causing the 48V to drop too much causing the camera to have problems?

    Anyone find a solution to crimping your own male RJ-45 ends?

    REOLink cameras btw...

    submitted by /u/RealRFpowerdude
    [link] [comments]

    I think someone might've tried to break into my window?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    So I had a very sturdy window that now appears to be very un-sturdy, and shows signs of tampering.

    Again, this window used to be very solid and now it feels like I could pull it off the frame if I really tried to. Also, the outside screen was completely hanging off, which I'm pretty sure it wouldn't just fall off for no reason.

    Here are some pictures of what looks like obvious tampering that wasn't there before.

    The window from inside - https://imgur.com/a/MzDJw2a

    The window from outside - https://imgur.com/a/NHErQa3

    It looks like the seal around the window was pushed in or something. They only managed to do it to about 60% of the window lining on the left side(left from where I'm standing inside.)

    It's just Mom and I, so she's kind of freaking out. I'm wondering if anyone has seen anything like this, and if they have any advice. We just moved some of our motion lights next to the window and faced a front door Ring camera towards it.

    A little more info... Mom said that she heard some noise by the window last night while I was asleep, and walked over there and talked very loudly on the phone. So this could have been last night.

    Any advice towards what to do or just information on what someone was trying to do, would be appreciated. I don't know much about windows or home defense, in fact I just discovered this sub-reddit like 10 minutes ago.

    submitted by /u/Ullrrific
    [link] [comments]

    Remote lock for rented AirBNB room.

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    We are looking at renting some Airbnb's in Europe, but most don't seem to have locks on the bedrooms only, to enter the premises as a whole.

    We would have the whole second floor, but the homeowner would live on the first floor. We've been told that there are no locks into the individual bedrooms but that's fine because the homeowners will keep it safe.

    Is anyone aware of a say radio or even magnet controlled temporary door lock solution we could use?

    There's a number of good options to keep the door shut when you're inside the room, but what about if you're not inside the room?

    submitted by /u/echo_61
    [link] [comments]

    Home Safety

    Posted: 18 Jul 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I just moved to another country 4 months ago from Asia to South Am. (I don't want to say what country specifically) I am staying in my inlaw for now and it's very safe here, we will be moving out once our home is done. Our place is good but it's near the open street.

    With different cultures, I am kinda scared. Do you have any ideas or tips for home safety?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Kieron_11
    [link] [comments]

    Any wired cameras with features like the nest?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 04:38 PM PDT

    I'm looking for wired/POE cameras but I also really like the features of the nest like the facial recognition and person notifications. Does a camera like this exist?

    submitted by /u/zhydoc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment