• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 7, 2020

    Home security: Trespasser was caught on camera, holding his phone up to one of my dummy security cameras... What was he checking for?

    Home security: Trespasser was caught on camera, holding his phone up to one of my dummy security cameras... What was he checking for?


    Trespasser was caught on camera, holding his phone up to one of my dummy security cameras... What was he checking for?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    My security camera caught a trespasser walking onto my property and then, holding his cell phone up to dummy security camera. It seemed he was using his phone to check and see if the camera was real. I'm assuming he had an app that can check for a hidden surveillance camera.

    He must have detected something because he quickly withdrew his phone and walked away (he must have received a "signal" from my working security camera).

    Can someone give me any insight? If it possible he was using an app to detect for hidden cameras? Whatever he was using, exactly how can a cell phone detect a working surveillance camera?

    submitted by /u/mtothej_
    [link] [comments]

    viewing cameras 10-16 on an NVR using IR remote

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! I have a 16ch. Amcrest NVR, but I feel like this question might apply to a lot of 16-32ch NVRs on the market, since most of their internals/OS are the same.

    Background: Amcrest NV-5216 NVR with 16 channels; HDMI output on the NVR goes to a whole house video distribution matrix, so I can view the feed from any display in the house; IR blaster placed on the NVR to blast IR commands captured from a remote.

    I have a generic looking IR remote from a Lorex NVR that works great on my Amcrest. It controls most of the critical on screen functions, such as multi view, instant record, view specific cameras, etc. However, using the number pad I am only able to view cameras 1-9 by directly hitting the respective number. I can't figure out any button combos to view channels 10-16 (i.e. pressing 1 + 0 doesn't display channel 10; pressing 1 + 1 flashes ch1 twice, instead of displaying ch11).

    To anyone with a 16-32ch NVR with IR remote, are any of you able to view channels 10 or greater directly from the IR remote? (short of pressing up/down to manually step through each channel).

    Any suggestions welcomed!

    submitted by /u/softbox3
    [link] [comments]

    Reolink or Lorex nvr ????

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    I currently have a Lorex 8 channel 4k POE system. Im finding the android app a little on the unpolished side. How is the Reolink android out? Im thinking of switching if its better.

    submitted by /u/lane777smith
    [link] [comments]

    Best camera system with real time cloud based backup

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 04:01 PM PDT

    Hey there - looking for a 3-4 camera system (also IR/Nightvision ideally for at least one of the cameras) that can be PoE or WiFi. The key part is a system ideally with real time cloud sync, in case a burgler is smart enough to damage/destroy the NVR. I'll have a 500Mbps business line so I don't foresee bandwidth as an issue. Ideally 1080p or better. The distance of viewing isn't going to be much (think office/lay entrances 5-10ft viewing area), wide angle is better. If anyone has suggestions it would be a great help.

    submitted by /u/secops_samurai
    [link] [comments]

    Can a 960H Analog system use 520 TVL BNC cameras?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 09:48 PM PDT

    I'm trying to help w friend with his shop. His Swann DVR 16-2600 surveillance recorder seems to have stopped working (only get startup splash screen then it goes blank). And Swann tech support is recommending taking it to a shop or buying a new DVR. Well his budget is low and it would be easiest to leave current cameras in place and replace the recording unit.

    The cameras are Swann PRO-500 Series (PDF link) w/ a 500TVL (652x582) resolution. I'm looking at a ZOSI H.265+ 1080N DVR. I'm assuming that the cameras fall within the analog D1 spec and will work just fine. But I want to make sure that this thinking is correct as while being techy, I am a computer person and haven't done much with CCTV systems other than install and configure a few here and there.

    submitted by /u/FauxReal
    [link] [comments]

    Experience with Alula?

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    Anybody have an experience with Alula, their communicators, or system? How do they compare to Alarm.com?

    submitted by /u/CowboyReaderYall
    [link] [comments]

    I got burgalized by a idiot help

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 08:27 PM PDT

    So long story short he opens my window walks in my alarm goes off and I stampeed down the stairs with a baton he's out running I need tips so this don't happen again and how to hide a baton from cops in a damage report haha...

    TLDR: Crazy dude break in tips

    submitted by /u/The-Oblivious-Nate
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to upgrade dvr and cameras while suing existing bnc wiring

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    using lol

    As the title suggests I'm not interested in rewiring anything. So PoE is a no go. I just want to use the same 4 camera locations and replace them with higher resolution options.

    The house has a Swann 4ch h.264 digital video recorder, it's old. Does 360p video and night vision is terrible. Other than that the product hasn't failed, it's 3 bullet cameras and a turret camera for the side of the house.

    I've read enough on the sub to know swann products aren't recommended... Would like to know if a $200 budget will be enough to get myself up to 1920x1080p.

    Amazon has a lot Chinese options at my price range, anyone have any experience with them? Brand suggestions?

    submitted by /u/the24531
    [link] [comments]

    Check 103 Long Range Radio 0005 (IGSMV4G/Vista 20P)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 05:48 PM PDT

    I have an intellipath series 4g GSM communicator with IP only monitoring. I've been getting these 0005 (Communicator has lost contact with the AlarmNet Cellular Network) errors at 3 and 4am these last few days. Is there any way to a) fix the issue b) turn off the supervision for the cellular network connection or c) silence the alarm so I can clear the fault after coffee?

    I also have an alphanumeric keypad for what that's worth.

    submitted by /u/Angelofpity
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with something that is probably simple. (Self built vs simplisafe or something similar)

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    I've searched through quite a bit and I'm still struggling. House will have wifi- but the quality of said wifi will be questionable (read: potentially not great at all, ruralish location by internet speed standard)

    I'm initially looking for a main panel (?) to arm and disarm from. I would ideally like at least 6 contact sensors, an option to add a secondary siren, maybe 2 motion sensors.

    I will eventually be adding cameras but that does not have to tie in.

    Other information that may or may not be needed: smart thermostat, alexa, considering smart locks.

    With that said, should I be looking at simplisafe? Or could you recommend something else thats fairly user friendly after install?

    submitted by /u/asheeleey
    [link] [comments]

    DONT BUY NIGHT OWL SYSTEMS

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 03:38 PM PDT

    We bought 2 sets and are having difficulty creating accounts. Their app is stuck. Customer service are no help. We were told wait 48 hours for more trained technicians to call back. Its been 5 business days. Tons of calling back and forth and they still dont have people to help. Terrible reviews on BBB

    submitted by /u/Chronic_milkT
    [link] [comments]

    Camera Storage

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 10:38 AM PDT

    I'm wanting to get a camera system and was wondering how long you could record 8 cameras with 10 terabytes of storage before it overwrites. Does anyone know how much footage it could hold?

    And what company is the best for security cameras?

    Also not sure between 4K and 1080p and how much more storage 4K would take.

    submitted by /u/YeetleYvetal
    [link] [comments]

    Front Entrance Camera Recommendation? No doorbell

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 11:04 AM PDT

    So I have an indoor entrance inside that I would like to be able to have someone press a button to call and notify me via a software on my phone or computer. This would not be a doorbell but just something that can be plugged in via power and on my wireless.

    What would be recommended for this? Everything I look for is a doorbell and requires power for something like that but I would want just a simple plug in power cable into a wall next to it.

    submitted by /u/Hxrn
    [link] [comments]

    Spending on home security in Ontario

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 10:54 AM PDT

    So we just bought a house in Brantford, ON and are looking at security options. We asked around the neighborhood and they say it's a pretty safe area. We are in West Brant. I have read almost every post on home security and it boils down to stickers and a dog. Pets are out of question for us and I really hate paying monthly fees as after getting this house, I am so done with those monthly things. We talked with ADT and he says it's a 3 year contract and if we break it, we still have to pay 70 % of the remaining. I would like to buy something I can install and monitor myself. I can pay $300 now rather than paying them $900 to them. Here's what the guy said

    25$ monthly for 2 years 9 months (Covid rate), 3 year contract, 3 months free

    Includes: 2 glass shatters motion detectors for the door and 2 for Windows

    $30 one time fee for garage door

    $70 one time for smoke detector

    He said I can add sensors with one time fee and my monitoring rate 25 dollars will not change.

    Is it a good plan? I so wanted to get one but after going through several posts, I am so confused. Any options or help would be nice. I just want something not on cloud. I don't want anyone snooping into my home through that.

    submitted by /u/iconaf
    [link] [comments]

    Securing a Wifi camera. Help.

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    So i just purchased my first security camera and got a TP Link tapo c200. Im aware they're not the best choice but I dont really have a budget for a full setup at the moment.

    This one can store the video on a sd card and has remote access through their app along with 2 way audio. Im gonna be installing this in my store.

    I havnt set it up yet and thought it'd be best to ask here first on how to go about setting it up securely. Im very new to all this and have average knowledge about network routers.

    I do want the remote access functionality.

    submitted by /u/peacedout
    [link] [comments]

    Frame loss on IPC-HDBW2831R-ZAS-S2

    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    I'm having some pretty serious frame loss (for lack of a better term). Every 2 to 3 seconds all 4 of my cameras freeze for a second and then continue. This happens in live view, channel and IVS/motion detection playback.

    My setup:

    • 4 - IPC-HDBW2831R-ZAS-S2
    • 1 - Dahua NVR4208-8P-4KS2 8CH 1U 8PoE 4K & H.265
    • Wiring = dedicated PoE lines from cameras to NVR and NVR wired directly to network (Orbi mesh router)

    I've tried changing encoding (h.265 & 264), CBR & VBR & custimized bit rates (max seems to be 8192..is this normal?), I frame interval time (maxed to 150...seemed to spread out pauses), smart codec (which shuts off my IVS) and lowering camera resolution to 2048/1536 (3mp).

    Any idea what else can be causing the problem?

    submitted by /u/edkoch25
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment