• Breaking News

    Monday, July 27, 2020

    Home security: Security camera in rural area

    Home security: Security camera in rural area


    Security camera in rural area

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 07:07 AM PDT

    Greetings,

    I am in rural australia and am looking to get a security camera on the gate to the property. The gate is not line of site to the house, but does have a decent 4G reception. I was thinking of getting a solar powered 4G camera. My only hesitation is that I would be beholden to the cloud of a particular vendor. What are my options here? What are good solutions, both off the shelf and DIY.

    submitted by /u/InnerChutzpah
    [link] [comments]

    Reinforcing apartment door? Help

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 02:12 PM PDT

    What's the best way to reinforce my apartment door? It's steel, has a deadbolt, and I've added wedges to the bottom, but they slip on the wood flooring. Any advice here?

    submitted by /u/Peeled_Skin
    [link] [comments]

    I am prioritizing pistol security and concealment over quick-access. Does anyone have recommendations on the most secure in-wall safe that can be hidden behind a picture or something? Or any general advice on how to keep a pistol hidden and extremely secure would be extremely appreciated. Thank you!

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    Do you carry a firearm on your person at home?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    How many of you carry at home? I made the choice to do it years ago. It's as natural now as putting on my pants in the morning. I also live downtown in a southern city. Just last night someone was held at gunpoint on their own front porch. Some people call me paranoid and crazy, but I dispute that claim. What will you do when you need your firearm and it's in a safe upstairs? Are you ready and able to defend yourself and your family at a moments notice? I'd love to hear your opinion and discuss.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/SavimusMaximus
    [link] [comments]

    Security Camera Setup for my Parent's House

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    My parents have recently moved into a new home and want to set up security cameras around the house so that they can keep an eye on things. I'd like to help them on this front as they're getting older (not as technologically literate) & should enjoy their time off. However, I'm also new to this front so I'm currently looking to get more information on this topic.

    I'm currently looking for at least the following:

    • Wired, PoE, NVR
    • Can back up to the cloud
    • Has a battery backup (Ie. An uninterruptible power supply in case a cable breaks or the power goes out).
    • Has a wire-free backup system in case a wire breaks (Ie. Can keep uploading videos without the Ethernet cable in case an Ethernet cable is cut).
    • Would like to avoid NVR built around proprietary PoE and video encoding compliant products (Ie. Would like video encoding to have ONVIF Profile S Version 2.x)
    • At least 8 cameras

    Optional, but would be nice to have:

    • Heat & motion sensor
    • Domed

    Price is not a concern. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks so much in advance.

    Also, as a side question - if I were to use PoE and the Internet goes out, would the cameras still be powered and collect video?

    submitted by /u/randomperson360
    [link] [comments]

    So you’ve got a nice set of 5-8MP exterior cameras recording on a loop to your NVR... now what?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 11:33 PM PDT

    This may sound a little naive, but assuming no suspicious activity has occurred at your home recently, are you actively doing anything else with your surveillance system? I ask because I'm starting to consider building a surveillance system - but I'm not really sure what I'll really use it for other than sticking the NVR in a closet, passively recording activity on a loop, and only reviewing it in the chance something happens. Any tips for a beginner thinking about a 4-8 channel ip system? It seems unlikely I'll be tying it into my alarm system in any meaningful "active" way. Also I probably won't be running a separate PC at this stage.

    Edit: currently deciphering these two systems -reolink clearly being more basic and designed for average Joes, no custom cabling probably would be a sloppier install, etc, vs nellys hikvisoon system but at the end of the day they're both from China. Amost 3x the price for non 4K system so it's very interesting to try and identify which features I actually will need on an ongoing basis.

    submitted by /u/SampsonRustic
    [link] [comments]

    MacOS Security Camera Viewer

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 09:35 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a macOS security camera viewer app. I have a Q-See NVR and a bunch of security cameras including 2 PTZ. Everything works well, but Q-See's macOS app doesn't support Catalina. I was contemplating rebuilding the NVR to go to BlueIris, but I just can't justify it--currently it does what I need.

    I know I can use VLC to view RTSP streams and I'm savvy enough I can hack something together if I had to, but that seems pointless: someone must have already had this problem and made an IP camera viewer?

    I looked at App Store and did a few searches, but only turned up one non-free that seemed like it might work (and they want $19.99/camera for software--fuck them). Suggestions? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/ndrwstn
    [link] [comments]

    I would like a biometric pistol safe WITHOUT backup key access to be extra safe for my family. Does this exist? Thanks!

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    I would like to ask for an advice for choosing camera.

    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 02:51 AM PDT

    I would like to buy and install set of poe cameras for my parrents house. Which one would you chose? US $207.06 42%OFF | Hiseeu H.265 8CH 4MP POE Security Camera System Kit Audio Record IP Camera IR Outdoor Waterproof CCTV Video Surveillance NVR Set https://a.aliexpress.com/_BOYGjn

    US $124.95 51%OFF | AZISHN H.265+ 8CH 5MP POE Security System NVR Kit Audio IP Camera IR Outdoor IP66 Face Detection CCTV Video Surveillance NVR Set https://a.aliexpress.com/_BSCsff

    US $197.80 54%OFF | Techage 8CH 5MP HD POE NVR Kit CCTV System Two Way Audio AI IP Camera IR Cut Outdoor P2P Video Security Surveillance Set 2TB HDD https://a.aliexpress.com/_B1DrzP

    I was looking for a better than 2mp.

    submitted by /u/B3CrAZy
    [link] [comments]

    Installing Vista 20P alarm system?

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 09:25 PM PDT

    I just bought a new house and I would like to install a Vista 20P. I plan to make it a hybrid system by purchasing a 6160RF keypad. The sensors will be wireless while the keypad and wave2 siren will be hard wired.

    I've never done this before, but I've been studying a lot of material online (particularly YouTube videos on how to install/program). Am I being too ambitious by wanting to do this myself? Will the programming and the inevitable hiccups along the way make it a huge headache? I really only plan to have about 6 wireless sensors and I do not plan to have monitoring, so I'm hoping it won't be too daunting of a task.

    submitted by /u/co4018
    [link] [comments]

    Reolink camera with first rain.

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 08:57 PM PDT

    My Reolink RLC-520, died with the first rain storm. The reset button, despite being covered in black tape, was damaged in the rain. It's unclear why the RLC-520 has 3 dongles hanging off of it. Is there a way to permanently remove them so the only cable is a poe?

    submitted by /u/Rs9OrxchP0
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for a Camera + Light combo

    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    I currently have a Ring outdoor light that I was gifted, but I need 2 more to cover the rest of my house. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FlyingNeonPoop
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment