• Breaking News

    Monday, July 13, 2020

    Home security: Network IP camera setup server vs nas

    Home security: Network IP camera setup server vs nas


    Network IP camera setup server vs nas

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 09:16 AM PDT

    TL/DR: If there's someone here that has experience with server network surveillance applications I'd like to talk to them.

    So I've been struggling with finding a solution that's both reliable and that works for my home. I have four IP cameras routed through POE and they're currently attached to a shitty NVR.

    It's an amcrest NVR and it's hot garbage. I hate the software. Before this I was using a Synology NAS and although I liked the software side of it, I wanted something expandable (more so than the 2 bays it provides) that also wouldn't kill my wallet.

    I have extra PC parts laying around and was recently thinking of getting a 2U server case for my server rack and just throwing it into that but the problem I'm finding is that I'm not sure if it would be better to run a surveillance system off of it through windows 10 or... Idk. There's a lot of unknowns right now.

    I need to get this setup complete soon with no frame loss because someone's chucking rocks at my house in the middle of the night and I don't wanna go sit outside with my shotgun as a show of force. This is a more peaceful solution.

    submitted by /u/_Resist-
    [link] [comments]

    Running Cables

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:49 AM PDT

    I have some questions about running Ethernet cables to cameras. I have a network switch and plan to hook 4-5 cameras to it. It is a POE switch. How would I route 4-5 cables in to my attic without making a big hole in the ceiling? Do I make a box in the wall and fish it from the ceiling? I do not want to put a switch in the attic since it will be very hot in my area. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/CompetitiveYou7
    [link] [comments]

    48V passive POE adapter with 802.3af camera?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    So I got some cameras that didnt come with power supply. They can either be powered via 12V adapter or as it says 802.3af. I can get either 12V power supply or for a few dollars more I could get 48V passive POE adapter. If I understood everything correctly, it should work with 48V since 802.4af should be from 37 to 57V.

    Should this work or did I misuderstand it?

    submitted by /u/Whereami259
    [link] [comments]

    Security system recommendations?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    Hi everyone.

    Moving into my very first home soon and I'm looking into security systems. Most of my family members have the Ring system, but I don't mind spending a little more for a more robust system that allows me to watch history and have higher quality cameras.

    I run an online business out of home and have the mailman pickup a large amount of packages daily, so I'd mostly need: a front camera, deck camera, and maybe hallway (front door) and dining room (next to deck).

    I've been looking into ADT, Arlo, Ring, Nest, Vivint, and Simplisafe.

    Any advice and recommendations would be great. Thank you

    submitted by /u/Agcryptonic
    [link] [comments]

    How do I wire security camera through stucco and into attic?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    The purpose for installing the cameras onto the stucco is to hide the wires (BNC) and prevent the wires from being tampered with. I do not have soffits so the only way to mount the cameras is onto the stucco. Also, the cameras will be installed under the wall plate/top plate of the house frame. What suggestions do you guys have?

    Some more Information:

    I have six security cameras that I will be installing.

    • 2 will be on the back/left corner of the house.
      • One covering the left side of the house
      • One covering the backside of the house where the backdoor is.
    • 2 will be on the back/right corner of the house.
      • One covering the right side of the house.
      • One covering the backyard
    • 2 will be mounted in the front.
      • One somewhere on top of the garage door, covering the driveway.
      • One mounted by the front porch, covering the front yard.

    I have my DVR in a closet and have the wires (BNC) run through the ceiling and into the attic. From there, the wires would run to the cameras. This will be my first time doing any projects on the house. I want to make sure that I am doing things safely and properly.

    submitted by /u/kiddkx
    [link] [comments]

    How to add certificates to Milestone Xprotect Essential for encryption

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    I'm setting up a VMS for some security cameras. This is on a Windows 10 machine. Can someone help me figure out encryption / certificates ?

    submitted by /u/Warptrooper
    [link] [comments]

    In search of a good home security system

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 10:25 AM PDT

    Last night several cars in my boyfriend's driveway had their brakes cut, and tires slashed. No one did anything to entice the person; we just live in Florida. It seems as if it was a highly intoxicated new neighbor. He left blood all over one of the tires, and when the cops found him, he had blood all over his hands, and his story didn't make sense. Anyways, he lives in the county on a lake where it is a bit swampy. I assume that would mean wireless is best, but I'm so ignorant to this that I wanted to ask this thread for advice. I would prefer to give him one he didn't have to subscribe to, but if it effects the quality of security or being able to get alerts on cellphones/checking in remotely, then paying for membership will have to do because that is non-negotiable. I just want the peace of mind for all of us, not too long ago my boyfriend was attacked by a neighbors dog while he was getting out of his car. This isn't the first incident with neighbors but it's the last straw. I am going crazy thinking about what could have happened, and so now I'm in the market for one. Any advice or recommendations is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

    Edit: I'm on a bit of a budget. I'm u employed because of the pandemic.

    submitted by /u/soulofflames
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on Arlo Pro3?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    I'd like to set up some outdo cameras. Costco has this 3 camera kit for $400. Worth it? If not, what else is out there that does a good job under $500?

    Any feedback is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/ElPatronLos
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor cameras with great motion detection recommendations ?

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 12:39 PM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I've had a few people creeping around my moms house this summer and want to install some security cameras to see what is going on. Something with excellent motion detection and night vision is the most important factor for me. Looking for a brand that has an app so I can monitor the cameras from my own house which is about 25 kms away. Ideally they will have an alarm/two way speak so I can trigger if need be. Here are a few I am considering from Amazon, have any of you used these cameras or have recommendations of your own?

    https://www.amazon.ca/Version】CHORTAU-Wireless-Waterproof-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B07KP73NMS/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-6

    https://www.amazon.ca/CACAGOO-Security-Wireless-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B079MBLC48/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-13

    https://www.amazon.ca/HeimVision-HM311-Surveillance-Floodlight-Waterproof/dp/B085ZTLMG2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-3#customerReviews

    https://www.amazon.ca/3MP-Outdoor-Security-Camera-Surveillance/dp/B07R3YH6CL/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-15

    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VKK73JB/ref=dp_cerb_2

    submitted by /u/idunnomangg
    [link] [comments]

    How to know house is being cased or if I'm just paranoid

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Hi

    So I work from home for now and just got off a meeting and decided to check my security camera at a random 2pm. I noticed that a car was just parked there in front of my house. I decided to check the history and that car had been sitting there for 5 minutes so far. That's a really really long time for someone to just be "checking the GPS" or "waiting to go pick up a Postmates order".

    So I took out my pistol, put it in my holster and walked out to confront them, making sure that they knew I had a gun on me. As soon as they saw me approaching them, they drove away.

    What kind of idiot criminal would park in front of someone's house with visible cameras and a beware of dog sign with their windows up for 5 minutes?

    Note that I do live in a pretty dense neighborhood, a few houses down from me, there is a house for sale, and I live right next to a community tennis court.

    submitted by /u/Dapper_Succotash8330
    [link] [comments]

    MyADT Account Registration Help

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 03:30 PM PDT

    We have an ADT system in our house and we want to use the mobile app but it requires a login. I tried registering in myadt and it says phone number not recognized. What do I do?

    submitted by /u/Xenonition
    [link] [comments]

    Someone's been snooping around our house. What should we do?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    So the last week or two we've started noticing someone seeming to Snoop around. Either last night or today while we were gone (neither of us can remember if we noticed these changes in the morning before we left), someone knocked over or dug out a planter in our back patio and moved one of the patio chairs down the side off our house up next to our gate, as if to use it to jump over. It definitely wasn't an animal moving the chair at least (it's somewhat difficult to move the chair down the side of the house).

    We'll be gone some times coming up for a week or two at a time and I want to beef up the security a little bit. I was looking at getting two cameras and two door alarms and some motion sensor lights, but have no idea what brands are worthwhile? I was intrigued by the blink cameras and think they'd work for what I want, but blink doesn't have the door alarms. Ring on the other hand has a kid with the door alarms but no cameras. I don't really want to buy both. And for lights I'm just not sue if there's something to look for other than a standard motion sensor light?

    Anyone have any setup advice?

    submitted by /u/2TitanUp7
    [link] [comments]

    Zmodo Camera never displays ZMD_SAP network to connect (Solved)

    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 11:10 AM PDT

    Warning, Zmodo change the settings and the new setup is

    1. Reset your camera on back button.
    2. In app tap + > Legacy > EZlink Devices and follow the instructions. I solved with this steps. Simple that.
    submitted by /u/Common_Structure_170
    [link] [comments]

    Someone was just on my property

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    Tonight, laying in bed, I saw a light hit the canvas on my back porch. This is not easy to do as I have several acres, and trees/bushes block any lights from the road. A minute later I heard a truck drive away.

    I do have a small access driveway on that side of the house, but the light was the old yellow light, as from a non-led flashlight.

    We think someone is scoping the area out as there have been two trucks drive through slowly the last few days.

    I'd like to put something out that would catch images and alert me, but I don't have a way to run power that distance, yet.

    I'm thinking something like Ring which alerts and gets video, but needs to get images at night as 2ell.

    Suggestions please?

    submitted by /u/No1h3r3
    [link] [comments]

    Who can recommend an IP camera (LAN / Ethernet) with CLoud storage?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 11:17 PM PDT

    Hello.

    Have you had any experience with IP cameras (if possible via LAN / Ethernet) and via cloud storage?
    Can someone recommend a product to me?

    Greetings MisterDraken.

    submitted by /u/MisterDraken
    [link] [comments]

    Nonstop Midnight Knocking

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    My dad and I are currently house sitting and watching pets for my dad's boss. I was letting the dog back inside when someone began persistently knocking on the door. My dad asked me what I was doing, but I didn't respond until I went back to the room he was in to inform him it wasn't me. He found his boss's pistol and texted his boss to let him know what was going on. The knocking went on for at least 8 minutes, and before it stopped they said "hello?! Somebody?!" And it sounded like a kid in distress. They left before we could look out to see if we could see them, and my dad's boss checked the cameras, but nothing was on them. We contacted the police but they aren't sending anyone down because we were the only ones to call something like this in. What do we do in case this happens again? We have the alarms armed and doors locked, but I'm scared that it could be a child in actual need of help.

    submitted by /u/strawberrymilklia
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a Good Security System for Elderly Parents

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    Title says all. I thought about Ring, but I'm not sure if I like that it only records if it senses motion, and I'm not sure how often the batteries need to be replaced even with the solar panels. I do like the ease of it, though, and I like the app.

    I currently live with my parents, but plan on leaving as soon as I can get a job outside of the state. we live in S. Florida. The house is a one-story house, maybe 1500 sq ft.
    We used to have alarm systems in previous homes (no cameras) and my only gripe with them is, especially during hurricanes, is that sometimes the alarms would get a bit busted when the power goes out, and it would have an annoying ring non-stop until you would have to completely disable it. Kind of hard to explain, but it almost sounded like the alarm that sets off when a door or window would open wouldn't go off.

    Anyway, things are getting a little scary and I worry for them. I'm trying to look for a home defense system with cameras that won't require a lot of occasional maintenance (e.g. changing batteries, etc). Thank you.

    submitted by /u/OutsideFly
    [link] [comments]

    Should I report potential break-in attempt to landlord/apartment management ?

    Posted: 12 Jul 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    I live alone in a safe gated community in a leased apartment unit. However, earlier today, sometime in the afternoon, I was sitting in my living room with my earphones on, when I heard some noise outside my front door. When I tried to see what was going on, I saw that someone was trying to turn the door knob of my door from outside and push it open. Fortunately my door was locked, so they couldn't open it. By the time I tried to look through the door peep hole, they were already gone.

    To get access to the main gate of the apartment, we have a key fob entry system, so usually its not possible for someone from outside to just randomly get access to the apartment.

    The apartment building is a 3-story building with approximately 10 houses on each floor and a lot of families stay here. I have been living here since the last 5 years and I haven't experienced such an incident before today. So my guess is that it was probably just a neighbor accidentally trying to get into the wrong house.

    But do you think I should still report this to the management ? I don't want to unnecessarily get involved with cops etc. for what could be a minor issue.

    submitted by /u/ancientnucleus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment