• Breaking News

    Friday, July 31, 2020

    Home security: Could I get some friendly advice? I've been researching home security systems for years it seems, and I'm still not sure what to order. My block has escalated in violence this month and I'm not comfortable waiting until I figure it out on my own.

    Home security: Could I get some friendly advice? I've been researching home security systems for years it seems, and I'm still not sure what to order. My block has escalated in violence this month and I'm not comfortable waiting until I figure it out on my own.


    Could I get some friendly advice? I've been researching home security systems for years it seems, and I'm still not sure what to order. My block has escalated in violence this month and I'm not comfortable waiting until I figure it out on my own.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    My primary goal is to have high quality footage that will be good enough to use in police investigations. My neighbors have doorbell cameras, and have been told the footage was basically useless.

    Most of my neighbors are fixed-income retirees who care for their grandkids. My home is the millennial DINK house on the street, sitting high up on a hill so cameras at the right angle should be able to catch images clearly up and down the street. We have a lot of children on the block, which is why I feel like I need great camera footage.

    Our block has new residents in one of the homes across the street from me. There was a drive-by shooting and one of the residents got shot in the front yard. The day after, he asked us if we had cameras, because the doorbell cameras from the neighbors were too blurry to ID the car. This week, the same neighbor's house was targeted in another drive-by, where many cars parked in front of the house were lit up by multiple gunmen. Cars owned by other neighbors were also damaged. This type of violence is uncommon on my street, even if it does occur in my city far too often.

    Children used to play in the front yards safely all the time. Everyone used to sit on porches and chit-chat in the evenings and on nice weather days. Now these new neighbors are open carrying in the street and yard with poor muzzle control. While open carry is legal in my state, I'm worried about the direction of bullets if these neighbors open fire on a car.

    All neighborly attempts to talk to them about anything have ended in them yelling and chasing people back to their homes. I want documentation of all shenanigans in case my neighbors need the footage for insurance or police investigations, or if my home is the one catching bullets from their return fire. I'm hoping by placing cameras, the neighbors will be less inclined to engage in shenanigans.

    While we are DINKS, we do not have high salaries, which is why we moved into the quiet retiree neighborhood while we aggressively pay off student loans. I do not see the importance of paying for a camera system that will be useless when people need the footage, so I know that will come with a price. My home laptop is too old to manage the software, so I will need a new laptop/desktop to handle that, so I can purchase that to meet the requirements of the camera system.

    I think I would need 6 cameras. Two for the front, facing up and down the street, but if they cannot also catch the front of the home then I will need more. Both sides of my home have a driveway, so I need one camera for each driveway. I will also need 2 cameras for the back, since there is a small addition that would block the view. There is an alley behind the backyard, with the HVAC on one side of the addition and the back door and steps to the basement door on the other side of the addition. I do have an attic window in the front of my home to mount from if there is one camera that has a wide enough angle. I'm overwhelmed by brand names and not knowing which specs to look for for what I need.

    I'm open-minded to all recommendations and have a home-improvement budget I can pull from if things get pricey. I'd like to stay under $2k if possible, since I love my home and have some exciting projects coming up that I'd like not to delay too much. If I've forgotten any details that would help then I can provide that. Apologies for having a pre-occupied mind at this time. Thanks in advance for your kindness.

    submitted by /u/pontelier
    [link] [comments]

    Ring camera (without subscription) vs. Blink XT2

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    I currently have Ring security system that I self-monitor. I wanted to get some cameras and am looking between Ring and Blink XT2. I really don't like paying a subscription fee so even if I get Ring cameras, I was planning on just using it as live-feed only. Honestly I don't think I'll even use Blink's storage clips too much since I live in a relatively safe neighborhood and I'm mainly getting since my wife really wanted a security system in place.

    In this case, any recommendation between the two? I was leaning towards Ring since it'll integrate with my alarm system better (does it actually? other than being in the same app..), but if I'm not paying for subscription, it's basically similar to Blink I think? I read Ring cameras are of higher quality, but Blink is also cheaper, so little torn.

    Any input is greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/whiteorgo
    [link] [comments]

    Security cameras for rental properties

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    I currently live in a home that I've outfitted with Ring security cameras. A few of them are the elite cams running over POE. There is also a ring doorbell and floodlight camera. I will eventually use this home as a rental property and likely have more rental properties in the future. I am wondering if I was to change security camera setups what would be the most ideal way to do this for a rental property to make accessing the video and control a seamless transition between renters. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/elosorojo4
    [link] [comments]

    Non stop beeping...

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:18 PM PDT

    Hey! So I have a problem. At the apartment where I live right now the security system wont stop beeping! You can "turn off" it for max 30mins, after that the system starts beeping again in 10s intervals. The security system - DSC PC1555RKZ. I tried to run some system checks but it wont show any problem with the system... I cant even sleep normaly right now... Thanks for the help in advance!

    submitted by /u/gbrzund
    [link] [comments]

    IP Cam Viewer Pro for Roku

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 06:30 PM PDT

    I have 4 Reolink 520 cameras that are giving me some grief. They support RTSP and ONVIF. When I go to ONVIF autonconfig the app only gives me the option of the snapshot JPEG URL. Wasn't sure where to post this. I've reached out to the dev on github with no luck.... any ideas? I figured some of you might have something setup.

    BTW, my Dahua camera is recoingized as ONVIF and I get a great quality RTSP stream.

    submitted by /u/unkn0wn53r
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor motion security camera without lag or truncation?

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    I'm considering buying an outdoor security camera. One thing I have noticed reading reviews of many cameras on amazon is generally complaints of missing the beginning due to lag and/or missing the end due to length restriction. I don't understand why so many companies can't get it right so that they actually have the beginning of the recording when there's motion and they keep recording. What is the point if, say, someone pulls up and the camera either doesn't detect it or misses the beginning, and then stops the video within a few seconds, and then the person gets out of the car and that's missed?

    Arlo I've read too many negative reviews. Blink XT2 I'm on the fence about since it has the problems described above but otherwise seems good. I'm leaning toward battery powered but not sure yet. If it's a really good camera I could stand to wire it. I'm also looking for something without subscription, but again if it's really good I could stand to pay a small fee. If you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them. I've put a lot of work into reading reviews today but I'm just not convinced that any of them are that good.

    submitted by /u/beachedpail
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative app or NVR for Night Owl X.

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    Currently using Night Owl wireless cameras with Night Owl X app on Android. The cameras work fine, as does the NVR, but the app is trash. Playback of recorded video fails nine out of ten times making it practically worthless.

    Does anyone know of an app that will interface with the NVR as is or barring that, an alternative NVR and app combination that will work with the cameras?

    submitted by /u/MrMoxie
    [link] [comments]

    Blue by ADT Referral Deal

    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    I just started working for ADT in the Blue department and we have a referral deal going on where you can save a lot on a system if I refer you. Outside of that it's already the best deal in home security. No contract, DIY (no installation fee), wireless, no interest (no stupid monthly payments for the equipment) and it's the best product on the market. Message me and I can set you up. I won't be asking for your personal info so no worries, I promise I'm not trying to scam you 😂 [Blue by ADT](www.bluebyadt.com)

    submitted by /u/dragonballduragg
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment