• Breaking News

    Friday, July 17, 2020

    Home Improvement: This is silly, but I will feel much better about building a shed foundation like this if someone can explain why this is strong?

    Home Improvement: This is silly, but I will feel much better about building a shed foundation like this if someone can explain why this is strong?


    This is silly, but I will feel much better about building a shed foundation like this if someone can explain why this is strong?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    Example

    Working on plans for a shed that is on slightly sloped ground, so the best option as far as I can tell is deck blocks and posts for the foundation. The posts can be cut to different heights allowing the floor to be level.

    OK, I get all that, but what I can't wrap my hear around is how a 2x6 attached to the side of a 4x4 can be strong enough to hold the weight of a shed. If someone can ELI5 this to me, the engineering basics, I'd really appreciate it. I want to understand the how and why. Is it the bolts that are that strong? The quantity of posts and therefore and weight distribution? The strength of the wood?

    submitted by /u/jumpin_jumpin
    [link] [comments]

    P-Trap to Waste Pipe Connection (HELP!)

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    Hey Everyone,

    I need help figuring out how to connect a kitchen sink P-Trap to a Waste Pipe. We recently remodeled our kitchen cabinets and had to move the sink a few inches to the right from where it originally was. Now the P-Trap and Waste Pipe don't align (Off by 3 1/2 inches). Is there an easy way to remedy this solution? Here's a link to help explain what I'm talking about. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

    https://imgur.com/a/6zv1EMs

    submitted by /u/el_lamer_gamer
    [link] [comments]

    Breast

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 05:25 AM PDT

    Brick tidy https://imgur.com/a/LLuij2l

    I have repointed the bricks on this chimney breast but now want to finish by taking off any smudges, cleaning the brick and finally sealing to prevent the mineral salts drying on surface

    1 Removing dry smudges -suggest any agents or just a wire brush?

    2 Final clean- Some googles say ammonia? Some say vinegar?

    (Would just like the brick to looks as good as possible without damaging it any further)

    3 Sealing - I followed advice with pretty weak pva mix but didn't want to go too strong to avoid getting glossy appearance. Is their a product anyone suggests. Or have ppl had good results. With PVA and water.

    Thanks again to all who take time reply. J

    submitted by /u/shootforthegoon
    [link] [comments]

    Cape cod style home - Drainage at the sides of the home.

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/0AO3xec

    I recently bought a two story cape cod style home. I want to make sure I have appropriate drainage since we have a finished basement. The front and back of the house are pretty straightforward to handle with gutters and downspouts from the roof. However, as you can see in the image, at the sides of the home, there is no gutter at the roof to collect water from that direction, so I worry about water pooling at the foundation at the sides. Is there any way I can DYI something to take care of the water from the sides in this style of home since the roof isn't angled to the sides? Specially since the neighbor has an extensive driveway which obviously doesn't absorb any water.

    submitted by /u/jimmy_johnsS2
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain what are the pros/cons of an epoxy garage besides the cost? Is there any extra maintenance?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 03:20 PM PDT

    My parents are planning on building a new house and are unsure of what to do with the garage and I am trying to collect some information for them. They think epoxy looks nice but we don't know much about it. If money is not an issue, what are the pros/cons of an epoxy garage?

    submitted by /u/AlexPie2
    [link] [comments]

    Light controls on two switch panels with sliding dimmers and a horizontal power switch.

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    So my light controls stopped working and I was told it was because they were overheating, due to that blue box in the back being to small. How can I fix this? I cant really get deeper ones, maybe spread them out into multiple control units?

    submitted by /u/Killer_Panda_Bear
    [link] [comments]

    Sagging Floating Shelves

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 05:43 PM PDT

    Hi there -

    https://imgur.com/a/f6LMhom

    I just installed some small bamboo floating shelves in the drywall above my toilet. There was no stud within the area to attach it to, so I used the drywall anchors it came with. I started the hole with the screw, then hammered the dry wall anchors into each. I then fastened the metal brackets (a t shape with two screws on each side and a dowel coming out of the wall to slide into the shelf). There are two dowels per shelf. I am almost certain they are sagging down because the drywall isn't strong enough (this house is a flip and I am learning more and more about the materials used to "update" it).

    Anyone have any creative ideas that don't involve fixing a large piece of wood to my wall to fix the shelves to? I'm not particularly handy, but perhaps some kind of flat bracket I could fasten to the wall in the middle of the two dowels that would support the bottom of the shelf? Would kind of defy the purpose of the "floating" but I really don't want to undo this, try to fill the hole and paint over it all. I guess the alternative could be install actual shelves that would cover the gaping holes, but I'm afraid I'd end up in the same situation anyway.

    submitted by /u/bikingburgerpizza
    [link] [comments]

    Need help identifying this drywall damage

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:15 PM PDT

    My wife and I are about to paint and redo the floors in our bedroom. As we were prepping the walls we noticed a spot where the paint was bubbling. I feel like it has been there for awhile but I'm not entirely sure. Here are some pictures I took after I cut away the paint: https://imgur.com/gallery/rcLWkvU

    My initial was termites but I haven't seen any other signs in the house, which I've lived in for about 15 years

    We are in middle Tennessee if that changes anything.

    submitted by /u/GOBLOX001001
    [link] [comments]

    Moving ground clamp from main panel

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    Moving ground clamp

    I'm doing some plumbing work to my home and changing my feed to fixtures to pex.

    I have what I assume is a ground clamp on the existing copper plumbing. My question is, is this clamp necessary? I have a bare copper wire from the panel that exits my exterior wall. I also have this sheathed black one that attaches to a clamp on the pipe.

    If I need this ground clamp, can I extend it about 10ft and attach it to some copper pipe that I'm tying into? Or should I extend it about 20ft to a gas line?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/EyfKE7X

    submitted by /u/AngryBish
    [link] [comments]

    Advise asbestos

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 06:21 AM PDT

    Hey yesterday my girlfriend removed ceilings of 3 bed rooms that contained soft board material is what we thought until our neighbor said it looks like asbestos we were already finished by the time... so I'm very scared we got a day long exposure of the asbestos ceiling can you guys look at the picture and give some advise if it's asbestos I'm so scared..

    https://imgur.com/gallery/wChwQte

    https://imgur.com/tbAytgV

    submitted by /u/kappypwns
    [link] [comments]

    Insulating a garage floor?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 09:52 PM PDT

    I'm trying to make my detached garage liveable in winter so I can use it as a woodshop 365 days a year (I'm in Massachusetts, so it gets damn cold). There's a lot of information on how to insulate a basement floor, but I want to insulate the garage floor.... and still be able to park my F150 in there.

    If I put down 1" XPS with 5/8 (or whatever) OSB over it... would I be able to drive on top of it with my ~5000 pound truck? The stats on most of them say 25 PSI is ok...I presume the OSB would spread the load beyond the tires a bit wide... to at least a foot square, that's 144*25=3600 pounds per square foot. That seems well more than how much weight each tire would have (presuming I don't drive into the garage with a load of rocks in the back).

    Also, is there any other problem with just putting down XPS and OSB? Should I put a vapor barrier anywhere, or is the XPS good enough? The other reason for the floor is to help keep the moisture out so it doesn't rust out my tools (which has been happening). (addendum - the garage floor is never wet and never leaks, it's just normal moisture from concrete)

    Anyway, thoughts welcome. The garage is set into a hill, so the back and sides are concrete as well, sort of like a walk out basement, but it's a garage.

    submitted by /u/natefinch
    [link] [comments]

    We're looking to build a garage in the next year. When do we tell the contractor our budget requirements? And do we tell them the absolute nth number, or nth-15%?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    I'm just starting the research in finding a contractor. I have the plans for the garage, I spoke with the city permit department about the variance permits I'm going to need for the garage (taller than standard), and we have the money already saved up and ready to go.

    Where in the process do we tell the contractor how much our budget is? I know they'll ask when we do the quote meeting, but the plans for our garage were written with our budget in mind so we could save up the cash, so I'm expecting all the quotes to be relatively in line with that.

    Also, do we tell the contractor we have the cash available, and that it's a firm budget (we will not be spending more than our saved amount; if the quote(s) are hire than expected for some reason, we'll scrap the project and continue to save until we've met that goal)? Or, should we subtract the 10-15% that a budget is expected to go over, and tell the contractor that's our "drop dead" amount?

    I should note, we have three amounts budgeted: our hoped-for price, our maximum price, and our fuck-it-get-it-done price. We're not on a shoestring, here, we simply have other financial goals to make this year and if we go over our "fuck-it" price, we wouldn't be able to afford the other things we were planning on doing.

    submitted by /u/IamNotPersephone
    [link] [comments]

    Help with paint color choice

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    I'm planning to paint the front siding of my house Needlepoint Navy (SW) with the shutters in Tricorn Black (SW). Does anyone have a suggestion for a SW white for the trim? I want it to look good with the navy and black but also not be too harsh for exterior. I never knew choosing a white would be so difficult! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mmc1533
    [link] [comments]

    Metal Roof?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    Metal roofs? Any pros? Cons?

    Anyone have a bad experience with them?

    We are located in Minnesota and only downside I've heard is that they can become death traps when a lot of snow gets accumulated but aside from that, what is your input?

    Thanks a lot

    submitted by /u/luismakiavelo
    [link] [comments]

    Baseboards on angled walls?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:47 PM PDT

    We are renovating our new home in northern WA, and are running into a real head scratcher with the baseboards on our angled walls.

    Wall Angles

    Current Baseboard

    The house is an A-frame, except for instead of the walls angling in the tradition A, at the bottom of the house they angle out as well. A diamond-frame? I'm not sure if there's a name for this style.

    Anyway, everything we have researched has solutions for walls that are angled in (<90 degrees) whereas ours are angled out at about 116 degrees. The previous owners just put in regular baseboards (as shown in the photo), but that gap at the bottom is already a nightmare for trapping dog hair / dirt and just looks crummy.

    Are there any solutions to this??

    submitted by /u/DecentFig
    [link] [comments]

    Weeds coming up back patio... Need to repair

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Back patio https://imgur.com/gallery/JVJ4rjT

    Hey all,

    My back patio currently looks like this, with weeds coming up through the concrete between the rocks (or whatever it is). I'm not exactly experienced with this stuff. Obviously first of all I need to remove the weeds, but then I need to reseal in between the rocks.

    What does it take to do this? Also, for my own knowledge what is this style of patio called?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/StophJS
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about surplus maple hardwood flooring

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 10:46 AM PDT

    I'm looking at buying surplus maple flooring that's 1 inch by 2 1/4. It doesn't have a traditional tongue and groove joint. Does anyone know anything about this type of joint? Does it install the same way traditional flooring would? Is the thickness going to be a problem?

    Thanks any insight is appreciated

    https://imgur.com/5a4xc0F

    submitted by /u/PettiCasey
    [link] [comments]

    Power tools for lefties?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 02:52 PM PDT

    Getting ready to build a small power tool collection and realized that some items absolutely not ambidextrous. For a basic drill or reciprocating saw it really doesn't matter that I'm left handed. Circular saw? It starts being relevant. Hammer drill? Same deal.

    Any recommendations for left-handed power tools?

    submitted by /u/LogicalHeron
    [link] [comments]

    Deck in Need of Care

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    Our deck looks like it needs repainting/finishing. Here are photos of some of the bad spots: https://imgur.com/a/WAQaH6q

    A few boards look warped, and I'm worried about rot/water damage. I have thought about trying to rent a sander and staining or painting it ourselves, but I don't know if that is good enough.

    Is the damage so bad that we need a professional to replace boards (possibly all of them)? Would it be helpful to do any intermediate steps if we cannot afford to call a pro until next year or later?

    We don't really know where to start with this project. If it matters, this is a two story deck, and the upper deck is the damaged one shown in the photos. The lower deck looks pretty good, but a little green.

    Location: Georgia (USA)

    submitted by /u/Pinwheeling
    [link] [comments]

    Pulling up old carpet. Help identifying mold, source, and possible solutions?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    Here is an album with some more details and descriptions.

    Some background:

    My wife and I just replaced the carpet in the bedroom across the hall with LVP, and decided to continue our momentum into the next bedroom.

    When I ripped up the carpet, I was surprised to find what I assume to be mold, despite the carpet being in much better condition than the other room. I haven't taken too close of a look - I just decided to take some pictures and run to my computer.

    Is it worth getting a mold testing kit and/or an estimate for mold remediation? I'm always skeptical of services that may try to take advantage of people's fear or uncertainty about an issue.

    I also know that mold can be cleaned fairly easily, granted with a healthy supply of elbow grease. However, I want to make sure that I'm taking the right steps in removing the source of the problem if possible.

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    TL;DR - may have found mold under carpet, may not have. Halp!

    submitted by /u/draxthedestroyer22
    [link] [comments]

    Random specs in electric outlets throughout the house and throughout my bathroom

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 09:15 AM PDT

    The two photos might be two difference issues, but does anyone know what these specs are?

    The photo of the electric outlet is in one of my bedrooms, and the photo of the hole is in my bathroom. It was the one of the holes that held up my mirror.

    https://imgur.com/a/XxsDJCj

    Edit: We are new homeowners and just recently purchased this house.

    submitted by /u/czausam
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to treat layered siding bottom?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 02:45 PM PDT

    Hi—

    My house is sided with a three-layer sandwich consisting of OSB (attached to framing); One-inch rigid foam insulation (attached to OSB); and Hardie Board (attached to foam). Should there be anything capping the bottom of the sandwich or is it OK for it to remain "open?"

    Sorry if the description is vague—here's a picture of the sandwich taken from ground level:

    https://imgur.com/a/Ji4SJVN

    Just wondering if there's any sort of best practices for this.

    Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/joegrzenda
    [link] [comments]

    Fix stain on composite decking

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 09:39 AM PDT

    I accidentally used some acetone to clean off some epoxy splatter. I now made a couple drips into a big "bleached" stain on my bluish gray composite decking. How do I fix this? Do I need to paint it?

    The stain: link

    submitted by /u/Liberty1100
    [link] [comments]

    Does my ceiling look like water damage, delamination, or something else?

    Posted: 17 Jul 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    Hi folks. Pictures below are of my living room ceiling. Looks like ripples and areas of bulging. We have a master bathroom above this room. No visible signs of water dripping or wet, but it is soft to the touch. What does this look like to you? We just bought this house 3 weeks ago, had a plumber do a full inspection prior to purchasing and found no leaks during a pressure test.

    Ceiling Pictures

    submitted by /u/Casual--Loafer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment