• Breaking News

    Tuesday, June 9, 2020

    Home security: Vivint or Xfinity or ADT?

    Home security: Vivint or Xfinity or ADT?


    Vivint or Xfinity or ADT?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    Hi, I live in an area that had some impact from the recent urban looting. I am all for peaceful protests, but given me and wife live alone, and I frequently travel, it made me more interested in getting a security system installed, just in case. I'm not super keen on installing stuff and monitoring it all myself, so am leaning toward a DIFM approach.

    The options that have come up most in my research are Vivint Smart Home ($30-45/month), Comcast Xfinity Home ($40/month), and ADT ($47/month). I understand that Vivint has some aggressive sales tactics and long term contracts, but beyond this, how does the actual product/service compare to these other big players? If I'm definitely going DIFM, is one of these way better than the others?

    Also am considering Vivint's Flex Pay which should reduce my upfront costs. Curious if any opinions on that as well.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/techwreck2020
    [link] [comments]

    Intrusion detection around field?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:18 AM PDT

    Hi r/homedefense, I was hoping you could help me identify a product or device that will help send a notification to a phone or device when an animal or person crosses a line.

    I wasnt sure if there is a laser or IR device that I could use. The location is roughly 3 acres and somewhat triangular which is a bonus.

    I know this seems like overkill but I have some valuable stuff I'd like to protect.

    The challenge will be wiring things however if I have to have power run I suppose I'm open to it.

    Through an unrelated project I have an account with ADI, I assume this may help!?

    Thank you, looking forward to hearing peoples thoughts.

    submitted by /u/Squiggy_Pusterdump
    [link] [comments]

    Home security noob here

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 03:58 PM PDT

    Our house is finishing in a couple months and we want security. But we want something kinda specific:

    1) no contract/monitoring service

    2) just door/window sensors (mb camera doorbell)

    There are so many services that I got overwhelmed trying to google.

    submitted by /u/HavokFist
    [link] [comments]

    Camera issue

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 03:42 PM PDT

    Any help with this would be great.

    I took over repairing a coaxial analog video system for a hotel. The video has rolling lines that I thought was a power supply issue. I replaced the power supply and with one camera only on the new power supply it works great, once i hook up 2 or more it gets wavy lines on all the cameras. The power supply is outputting 24vac this is with an analog dvr

    I tried different outlets from the DVR outlet, tried hooking to ups and unplugged everything that wasn't necessary on it the outlet.

    http://imgur.com/gallery/x1zHha0

    submitted by /u/pal251
    [link] [comments]

    Glass Break Sensors vs. Regular Door Sensors?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    Hi guys, I just bought a set of Samsung SmartThings door / window sensors. They pair with my Home Assistant setup over Zigbee and act as both a regular magnetic door sensor and an accelerometer, which means they can sense vibrations. I have installed several and they work well. My plan is to have my system alert me if my doors or windows are tampered with or smashed in the middle of the night. However, I'm concerned that the accelerometers might give me false positives due to thunder or frogs jumping on the windows. If I'm woken up by false alarms in the middle of the night, these sensors will quickly fail the girlfriend test, so I want to avoid that problem.

    So here's my question: would a magnetic door sensor work just as well for detecting a smashed window? Is it safe to assume that, if the sensor is on the window and the magnet is on the window frame, the two will most likely be separated if somebody smashes the window enough to enter?

    submitted by /u/Waffle_bastard
    [link] [comments]

    Best out of the box NVR PoE camera system?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    I am looking for an out of the box, plug and play type NVR PoE camera system. I don't need or want to do any custom set up. All I want is to buy the cameras/NVR, wire/connect them and go on with my day.

    I tried searching around this sub, but all of the answers are telling me to go get an HP i5 computer and all that and run my own set up. So please, if anyone can recommend a NVR PoE camera system that would be very appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Important-Brother-19
    [link] [comments]

    DIY (Ring, Nest, SimpliSafe, etc) vs. Traditional company (ADT, Vivent, alarm.com, etc)

    Posted: 08 Jun 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am looking to get a security system for my house. I work a job that requires traveling 4 days a week (although not lately because of Covid-19). At home, I have an elderly mom, who can barely speak English, and two young children, max age of five (5). I am a single dad and will rely on my mom to help take care of the kids when we will resume normal operations.

    I don't live in a super high crime area, but a few houses down had a home invasion about two weeks ago. The house across from mine was broken into a few days ago. That's all I've heard about anyway.

    I am looking for a cost effective security system that will allow my mom to press the emergency button if needed or will notify me.

    Upon research, I saw that there are pretty much two easy options for me:

    1) A DIY with a pretty cheap monthly price, such as Ring, where I can buy what I need from Costco and Amazon and just spend some time installing. This option is the most affordable to me. I consider myself low to moderately skilled at this kind of stuff, depending on what it is.

    2) A professionally installed security system such as ADT or an alarm.com dealer. This, of course, would relieve me of any headache of installing (or failing to install) any of the equipment, especially the outdoor cameras. I actually did get someone from an alarm.com dealer to come and they quoted me at about $2k for five 4k cameras connected to a PoE NVR system, where I would pay over three years.

    I'll be honest, I don't really have the time or energy or know-how even to install a PoE NVR system myself, especially the wiring stuff because I would like to conceal the wires so nobody snips them.

    I have a 2500 square foot two story house, in a hot climate. The house has attic access on the second story. I would like at least four cameras and four floodlights. One looking into my backyard, one on each side of the house just in case someone jumps the wall and one in front, overlooking the garage and front entrance.

    Best suggestion for me? Should I do a combination of both? For example, a Ring system for the monitored security alarm, and have a professional install the PoE NVR system?

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/Snoo83699
    [link] [comments]

    If two phones are connect to the same wifi router , can they live stream video to each other , through the router?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    TLDR: in a remote place with no internet but electricity , is it possible for a non-hacker non-programmer person , built a CCTV system buy connecting smart phones to a wifi router

    This question is for story writing purpose ( more specific for a trpg )

    Hero has to search an abandon house in a far far away forest where has no internet at all.

    Hero afraid monsters will come and attack him , so hero wants to set up a local CCTV system over-watching all the entrances. The hero is a ordinary geek who can only access to items found on civil market. Here is the plan:

    1. connect a powerful wifi router to a car-battery/ or a generator
    2. connect several smart phones to the wifi router.
    3. places phones on the entrances and use them as security camera , the hero keep one of the phone , the main phone , for monitoring other phones
    4. Somehow let each phones live stream videos to the main phone , only through the wifi router.

    I did some search and I believe this is in theory workable , but it seems there is no apps for live-streaming only through wifi. My friend told me there is security camera that can livestream through wifi router.

    Also , if the wifi router method works, can I skip the wifi router part by having one phone as hot-spot and other phones sending their video to the hot-spot phone.

    submitted by /u/madgecko2
    [link] [comments]

    Flood light recommendations

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 01:59 AM PDT

    Flood light recommendations

    Hi, I'm looking for a flood light and all I can find are items like this one.

    https://preview.redd.it/iz0zjb2fmu351.png?width=269&format=png&auto=webp&s=d7236c7dffe741d988603c7a286fc9c207bb6ee8

    They use LED lights and come with various levels of wattage and IP protection. They also seem to have quite a low price compared to what I would expect for a quality product.

    I'd like to know if there are other options.

    In particular I'd like to mount it to a railing and having out-of-the-box support for this kind of solution would be a plus. And even if I mount the light to a wall I'm afraid it will be quite easy to change the beam's orientation. I suspect even strong winds would be enough in time to change it.

    Apart from different installation options I'm also interested in hearing if there are brands that make particularly reliable products (even if they can't be easily found everywhere), if there are models that can be remote controlled or have lights that can easily changed (like having a light socket where you can install custom lights).

    Since I don't have particular aesthetic requirements, the light doesn't have to be flat, I'm fine with bulky ones. For example I wouldn't mind a model that allows me to install a random LED corn light bulb.

    Since I view this as an important investment I don't mind paying some more for a premium product.

    submitted by /u/vahadassu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment