• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 27, 2020

    Home security: Stalker attempted a B&E and got the door open

    Home security: Stalker attempted a B&E and got the door open


    Stalker attempted a B&E and got the door open

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    Hi, I live in an apartment complex and I have a stalker who first made his presence known almost 8 weeks ago. I have one door to my apartment and the lock is such that in order to open the door the normal way, you have to dip a keycard into the slot and then punch in a 4-digit code. My entire door is aluminum. Two nights ago my stalker used a shim and forced the door open. Luckily, my two other indoor locks (a loop from the doorway that folds over a ball on the door, and a pole that goes from the ground to the doorknob) kept this person from entering. However, they may now know about one or both of my indoor locks. I bought an amazon peephole ring. Do you have any more advice?

    P.S. the police know and took a report.

    submitted by /u/raggedclaws_silentCs
    [link] [comments]

    How to secure home with elderly home alone

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    I have a grandmother who lives with me who can speak very little English. I have to leave her alone when I go to work, but I have a security system.

    I set it to "armed stay" when I leave. I already instructed her to stay in the house, or disarm it if she wants to go in the back to work on her garden or go take a walk.

    Being elderly, her memory isn't the best. A lot of times, she does forget and the alarm goes off and I get a call and all that. Cops show up sometimes.

    What can I do? It's only me and her. We live in a medium crime area. Have never been broke in yet but you never know.

    She also thinks me setting the alarm whenever I go out is restricting freedom.

    Should I risk it and just leave the alarm off when I go to work or go out and she is home alone?

    Yes, she is very outdoorsy and loves to work on her garden. She probably works on it every chance she gets. I do understand why having the alarm system on like that would feel like it is restricting freedom and alarming when it goes off. However, in my mind, I am protecting her.

    submitted by /u/BostonMakeupLove
    [link] [comments]

    Just built Blue Iris machine. Thoughts on BEST Bang for the Buck cameras for night quality?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    I'm thinking Dahua Starlights, a higher quality 5442 pointed at cars and few cheap 2431 for doors. All 3.6mm

    Anyone got better suggestions? Looking purely for night time quality / bang for the buck. I have some outside lights and installing a motion light as well. Nothing incredible lighting wise but will likely be the brightest house on the street.

    submitted by /u/Warptrooper
    [link] [comments]

    Can you build a PoE system for under $100?

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    Trying to decide if I can go the PoE route or get something like a Eufy Indoor Camera pointing out my front door window.

    submitted by /u/Freds_Premium
    [link] [comments]

    DSC "System is in Alarm" message

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    Hi all! Our DSC Alexor security system went off this evening with the alarm message "System is in Alarm." It didn't show any zones or any other message. As soon as I opened the door to exit the home, the full intrusion alarm continuous siren went off, and it appears me opening the door is what triggered the call to the central station, not the original alarm. I went through the user's manual, but do not see any mention of the message "System is in Alarm," and I couldn't find it online elsewhere. Was the system just literally telling me that the alarm was going off? Without any "why?" I appreciate any insight anyone can offer!

    submitted by /u/tigertoes77
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor with sound to document traffic

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 04:57 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Where we live, people are driving too fast and causing noise early and late - in the morning from vans, trucks and cars. In the evening by reckless drivers burning tires in the intersection next to our house. Most are driving way too fast (limit is 50 kph / 31 mph ) and combined with a few bumps in the road surface this causes excessive noise and the whole house to tremble.

    I'm not looking for accurate speed measures (I can calculate from the footage if needed) but mostly to document to the city counsel (and a few select companies who have the worst culprits) so the pickup of the caused noise is important. But I assume logging the levels is not within reasonable price range - if I get through I assume they will set up environmental measurements after the summer.

    Can anybody point me at a good brand / model that is not so pricey I need to take out another mortgage?

    I have a Synology DS918+ that can function as NVR. A slight preference for Ubiquity as I that brand them for my home network now.

    Thanks in advance.Nicolai

    submitted by /u/nicolai3230
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with choosing a camera system

    Posted: 27 Jun 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I need a smart camera setup ASAP for the outside of my house. A lot of houses being broke into every night in my area and I need some cams that will alert me to movement, good night vision and a good app for the phone. I know the obvious is ring but just seeing what's out there.

    submitted by /u/zulu202
    [link] [comments]

    NVR software suggestions (cheap Chinese cameras)

    Posted: 26 Jun 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    So here's the skinny, a year ago a bought a cheap Chinese camera and NVR combo. I currently selfhost several services on my home lab and want to get away from using the XMEYE Chinese software that the cameras came with.

    I ca probably dedicate a VPS with up to 4 Cores and 16gb of ram if needed to run the software.

    I'm wondering if anyone has had luck with adding the XMEYE usable cameras (onvif I believe but the stream urls are weird) to a selfhosted blue iris or milestone setup.

    Sorry if I'm lacking details, just starting to get into this whole security thing so consider me a noob.

    Any help would be welcome

    submitted by /u/holy_sweet_jesus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment