• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 10, 2020

    Home security: New home in HOA and want a decent quality outdoor security cam system

    Home security: New home in HOA and want a decent quality outdoor security cam system


    New home in HOA and want a decent quality outdoor security cam system

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 07:12 PM PDT

    From some brief browsing I'm leaning towards REOLINK 4K Poe Security Camera Systems, 8mp Security Camera 4pcs. I can run my own cabling no problem. $500 budget, Would like some input or suggestions.

    submitted by /u/GeneratedUser
    [link] [comments]

    Montavue vs Generic Dahua

    Posted: 10 Jun 2020 01:50 AM PDT

    I was looking at some 4k cameras and had a couple questions. I found this camera on Montavue for $190 and what appears to be the same camera on Amazon sold by EmpireTech for $140. It looks like the camera on amazon is exactly the same, just without the Montavue branding. Are there any downsides to buying the one on Amazon?

    Montavue also sells the vari-focal version for $280 which also appears to be the generic Dahua version Amazon by EmpireTech (out of stock but regularly sells for $180) . Is there any downside to purchasing this version over Montavue's?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Administrative_Cut_8
    [link] [comments]

    Already have a home security system. Looking for recommendations for doorbell cameras

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 09:33 AM PDT

    As the title says, we have some strange activity that's been ramping up a few houses down. Lots of police activity and other things. We have decided we want a doorbell camera or cameras for front and back door. I believe the brand our home security system uses is Skybell. How do they compare to other brands such as Nest or any others you can get from a big box store? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ahester0803
    [link] [comments]

    budget 4k DVR?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    can you guys recommend some budget DVR capable of recording 4k HDCVI cameras?

    submitted by /u/yeahman2017
    [link] [comments]

    Long range outdoor motion sensors with different tones?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    I've purchased a few chamberlain driveway sensors. They are long range and work great to let me know if someone is at the top of our long 500ft driveway. I plan to place additional ones on our property. However they all play the same tone at the base station. Is there any long range outdoor motion sensors I can use to alert me which sensor was triggered?

    I'm open to all brands and if something exists that can be connected to an iPhone app that would be sweet (for now I play to write a raspberry pi relay to send notifications when they are triggered and not just the beep)

    submitted by /u/calmclear
    [link] [comments]

    Home security for new home owner

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Just bought a house and I'm looking for security tips.

    I already beefed up the security on the front and back doors. Is a monitoring system worth it? Are cameras and some signs in the front lawn enough?

    submitted by /u/stohm070
    [link] [comments]

    Cheaper Alternative to 5800CO with Vista 20P (safewatch 3000)

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    Hi All. I just moved into a 20 year old home with a Vista 20p (safewatch system). It has 5800CO sensors that are expiring one by one. I would like to replace them but at over $100 Canadian per piece it doesn't seem cost effective. Are there any alternatives (with the border being closed now)? Also I can not seem to find the wireless receiver. Did the Safewatch 3000 systems come with wireless already integrated into the keypad? Thanks in advance for reading.

    submitted by /u/2muchtruth
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision cameras

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    Is it just me or is Hikvision difficult to calibrate?

    I have a DS-7608NI-EV2 /8P DVR and 6 cameras total including 4 x DS-2CD2120-F cameras, 1 x DS-2CD2142FWD-IS a HD 1 x DS-2CD2152F-I.

    Email alerts were a pain to setup, but now that I have, I'm getting spammed.

    I've done a couple of things to help.

    I've reduce motion sensitivity to as low a 5, and tree shadows still trigger it. I setup line crossing in VCA and set that sensitivity to 5. Still, I get alerts.

    I've removed the trees from being monitored, but it's the shadows that keep tripping alerts.

    I've even gotten tamper alerts with that set at halfway (only 3 options, off, half way of full).

    I'm at the point of allowing people to make me an offer for all of this and I'll buy something else.

    What am I doing wrong?

    submitted by /u/Burnbabyburnnn
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding on a brand, DIY Canada

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 08:26 AM PDT

    I've been reading a bit, and seeing what I can buy in Canada that doesn't need shipping from US.

    Anyone use aartech or have a suggestion?

    It looks like everyone recommends Honeywell 21p or DSC Neo. I'm looking to wire my house myself, and I want to self monitor.

    I was also reading about a konnected interface that makes it integrate into smart home apps.

    Does anyone have preferences over which brand has more user control and options to upgrade or have neat things to play with? Thanks

    Edit: I decided to try aartech and get a dsc 1832 for starters, see how it goes!

    submitted by /u/toasohcah
    [link] [comments]

    Taking over pre-owned system.

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 01:50 PM PDT

    The house i purchased came with a honeywell keypad (m6983) and ademco vista 20p panel. I have pre-installed door sensors and motion sensors.

    1. I do not know the master password. Would i just need to replace the keypad, or does the panel also have to be reset? Even better, is there a way for me to reset password
    2. I'd like to add window sensors. I do not want to run wire myself. Is there a way for me to add wireless sensors? I understand some upgrades might be necessary. I'd like to know what those are.

    Thanks for helping out!

    submitted by /u/Mr__H
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for recommendations on first time security system

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:32 AM PDT

    Hello - After a recent car ransacking and continuously finding mysterious objects in my yard, I've decided it's time to invest in some home security. That said, I live in a duplex so I don't really want to be mounting cameras outside or running wiring.

    I think what I'm looking for is two, maybe three cameras that can be placed on the inside of windows. Something wireless and MAYBE battery powered? I'd like to not have ugly wires running around. This may not be feasible though.

    I'd like to either store to SD or preferably central HDD (I have a 2TB NAS drive I've never used). I would also like to have desktop software and mobile app compatibility (iOS and Android...).

    I have never used a Raspberry Pi but it could be a fun project so long as I can find a tutorial to follow, otherwise I'd be using my main desktop PC.

    I'd also like to keep it under $300 total...

    Geeze anything else you want buddy?

    Sure! I'd like motion tracking, at least 1080p, and even some night vision. And a pot of gold.

    What I don't want is anything cloud storage or subscription based. I don't want to run a ton of wiring around my house.

    Just looking to get pointed in the right direction. I'm 100% new to this. I see a lot of information on this subreddit and I'm piecing bits together but I don't think I've seen a solution that ticks all my boxes. It would be helpful to know if it's possible, or if not, where concessions would have to be made to keep my price down.

    Thanks in advance, sorry it's such a long read!

    submitted by /u/Wannabanana17
    [link] [comments]

    What competes with the Nest IQ Outdoor?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    Looking to evaluate options. I tried the regular nest outdoor cam but the video quality and view distance wasn't adequate.

    submitted by /u/2LPOWER
    [link] [comments]

    HIKVision or something else?

    Posted: 09 Jun 2020 09:30 AM PDT

    Looking at getting a home security system installed. I have a quote from a local licensed company that deals with mostly commercial property but he is helping me out. He only deals with Hikvision, I have no experience. I'm getting 4 cameras installed with DVR system and everything for $1000. It's also the Trucolor cameras for night time color viewing. Any opinions on this would be much appreciated. I need the cameras but feel like the cost is a bit much.

    submitted by /u/StulianJubbs11
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment