• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 6, 2020

    Home security: GuardZilla has closed their doors and shut down connection to their cameras. Need suggestions

    Home security: GuardZilla has closed their doors and shut down connection to their cameras. Need suggestions


    GuardZilla has closed their doors and shut down connection to their cameras. Need suggestions

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 06:56 AM PDT

    I now have four cameras that are useless because they connect through account sign in, and their servers are no longer operational.

    Looking for a good cheap interim camera system.

    submitted by /u/Th3MadCreator
    [link] [comments]

    Need some camera guidance

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    Man, I never realized how difficult this topic would be to research. It seems all of these cameras more or less require cloud or SDcard storage, neither of which I want. I want all video stored on my NAS for later review from one of my networked machines (or maybe from my Android TV box, which would be nice). I don't really want a pre-built system as I'd rather "roll my own", as most seem to have limitations on how many cameras I can have if I decide to add some, etc.

    What I have: My custom built home server (Debian). 5ghz Wireless Router/Gigabit Ethernet. I would prefer to use Zoneminder or MotionEyeOS in docker. I would consider an rpi4 with the either of these installed on Raspbian (the new 8gig Pi 4 just seems ripe for this project.. :) ). The cameras should be able to record data to my server network shares (SMB, NFS, etc.. I can set up any)

    I need: 7 cameras. I'm open to the whole setup being wireless, but 2 have to be wireless (both have access to electrical that I can conceal pretty easily). The rest I would consider running electrical for power so I'm not running extension cords all over the place, or getting a gigabit POE switch and running ethernet (way easier). The two that must be wireless, will be subject to hot/cold temps, but no moisture. The others (whether wireless or POE) will be exposed to the elements. If I need electrical, I'll probably run outlets to the camera points in the attic, and keep the plugs completely concealed. Remote access isn't a real concern at this time. If I need remote access, I'll set up a VPN and do it that way.

    I feel I have a pretty good hold on the server end (either via the pi4 or running software in docker) and dealing with the OS, hardware, etc. Where I get totally lost, is cameras. When I research cameras, it seems every single one of them require installing an app on your phone to set them up, which then basically makes them upload to some cloud service, which at some point you have to pay for, etc. I don't really want "webcams" as the quality of those seem lackluster.

    Can someone tell me some terms I should be looking for in camera features to get what I want? I've looked at ip cameras, which when I look at their features.. many require a cloud service. I've looked at ONVIF cameras which when reading about them, seem like they would work, but it seems many of them would require cloud service also. Bonus points if you can recommend some cameras for my needs (I'd like to keep it around $75-$100 each camera)

    Thanks (sorry for the tl;dr.. was trying to be thorough)

    submitted by /u/Ken0201
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Honeywell Vista-20p Board

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    Hello. I'm in IT at a sheet metal company and have no experience with security systems but, as per usual, I've been tasked with "figuring it out." We have an old Vista-20p board that keeps throwing a comm error, yet the router we run it to (via an adapter) gives dial tone. My boss is convinced it is a problem with the board and has bought a new one, but is worried about going through the pain of reprogramming. Can I take the old PROM and put it into the new board? I've already gone through trouble shooting the components of the line out.

    TL;DR: Can I take the old PROM and put it into the new board?

    submitted by /u/koctagon
    [link] [comments]

    Custom or Off the Shelf Security System

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    Hi All -

    I own a small mom and pop shop where I installed a pretty simple 2 camera security system a while back and the equipment is starting to show it age, plus given covid, and not being there, it would be nice to be able to keep an eye out on the business.

    So I started looking for a system and could use recommendation/guidance on brand, system, and whether to piece together DVR and cameras separately. This is what I'm looking for:

    - 3-4 camera system (2 camera completely hard wired, and the remaining 1-2 wireless but not battery operated)

    - Remote monitoring (although seems to be more of a standard rather than a feature now)

    -Cloud backup would be nice, but not at all a deal breaker (esp. given the budget)

    -Budget of ~ $200 - $250

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/eqty
    [link] [comments]

    All in one home automation and security camera platform?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 07:10 AM PDT

    The last thing I want to do is have 9 different apps for camera's/home automation stuff. I am in the process of setting up HomeAssistant with ESPhome and some other addons. I was thinking about a few Wyze cameras to go with it. Is there a common ground app that can do this? I have a few google home items as well. Lots of outlet controls, smart bulbs, etc.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jayjr1105
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment