• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 14, 2020

    Home security: Are separate NVR channels needed for main and sub streams?

    Home security: Are separate NVR channels needed for main and sub streams?


    Are separate NVR channels needed for main and sub streams?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    I've been researching the purchase of my first camera system, and plan to use a NVR initially. One suggestion I came across to save bandwidth was to record the sub-stream 24/7, and record the main stream using motion-triggered events only. Assuming I have 8 cameras, would that mean I would need to have a NVR that supports 16 channels to record both the main and sub-stream?

    If it makes a difference, I'm leaning towards Reolink 5MP cameras with their NVR. Seem to have a nice package, and the 5MP cameras look to support ONVIF to give me more options in the future as I learn more and want to expand to Blue Iris or other directions. I think the context of the this suggestion was for 8MP cameras, so not sure if it even applies...

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/txwhistler
    [link] [comments]

    Security camera suggestions

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 07:55 AM PDT

    I am looking for suggestions for security cameras.

    Requirements:

    <$1000

    1080p

    7 cameras

    Indoor and outdoor

    Around 2TB of storage or cloud storage

    Live view from monitor or mobile

    I also want them to just plug into an outlet and stream to the monitor or mobile device wirelessly. If anyone could help, that would be amazing.

    submitted by /u/YeetleYvetal
    [link] [comments]

    When did you first realize that you needed to secure your home?

    Posted: 14 Jun 2020 11:03 AM PDT

    I am a young guy living in the city and never felt the need to secure my home. I don't own a house and have little to no possession. I was wondering at what stage in life do people start thinking of installing cameras and alarms?

    submitted by /u/manipalbug
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone recommend cable covers

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    I currently have plastic cable covers running above my radiator, however I've noticed the covers coming off the wall due to the heat. I think the heat affects the adhesive and now I want to change them. I was thinking of getting plastic covers that screw to the wall or if someone can suggest something better.

    submitted by /u/Kingchimmy
    [link] [comments]

    Physical vs. software ip cam segregation

    Posted: 13 Jun 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    I'm currently in the final stages of completing my surveillance setup but I'm looking for some advice on securing the setup. Here's what I have so far:

    • 1x Dell optiplex (i7-6700 and dual-gigabit NIC)
    • 4x 5mp IP cameras connected to a poe switch (TL-SG108PE)

    So the network plan right now looks like: IP cams > POE Switch > DVR + Access points > Switch > Router, where the ip cams do not have physical access to the router/internet

    But most threads I've read recommend: IP cams + DVR + Access points > Managed Switch > Router, and use vlans for segregating the ip cams.

    I found an old thread discussing this: https://www.reddit.com/r/homedefense/comments/5bjdha/why_does_no_one_set_up_their_ip_cameras_in_this/ and I'm wondering which route I should take.

    Right now I'm stuck deciding between buying another managed or unmanaged switch for the connection to the router. Thanks for the help.

    submitted by /u/MisanthropicPotato
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment