• Breaking News

    Saturday, June 20, 2020

    Home Improvement: What is some basic hardware that all homeowners should keep around the house in case of emergency?

    Home Improvement: What is some basic hardware that all homeowners should keep around the house in case of emergency?


    What is some basic hardware that all homeowners should keep around the house in case of emergency?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Is Home Depot or Lowe's the right place to buy a tankless water heater?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 01:22 PM PDT

    Our regular style water heater with a tank is 18 years old and dying, and we're looking at tankless water heaters. Is dealing with the big box stores the best way to do this or is there some other better way?

    submitted by /u/TrappistWhiskey
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about putting g a garage door on the back of my garage. Thoughts?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 11:19 AM PDT

    I can't get to my back yard from my front yard. Its all fenced in. When I mow my back yard I gotta carry my lawnmower up and over my deck. Im thinking I could put a single stall garage door on the back of my garage, then I could get to the back yard to stow a boat or a trailer etc. And have access for mowing. Its a two and a half stall garage. Would it be weird to have a single stall door on the back? Or would two stall be better? Its got a single window in the middle of the back wall now if that matters. I'd have to redo the fence to put a gate in it, its hard to explain but trust me.

    submitted by /u/offermychester
    [link] [comments]

    Gap between soffit and trim welcomes insects. How to close?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 09:45 AM PDT

    First time homeowner here. I recently purchased this Virginia, US home from a flipper who installed a bay window (and who I curse regularly, but I digress). Yesterday I noticed a few unwelcomed guests (wasps) darting in and out of this gap between the soffit and the window https://imgur.com/a/yb1Ruqj

    As someone who is inexperienced but willing to learn, can I fix this myself? My solution to a problem like this inside the house would be "caulk it!" I feel like a product like Great Stuff would be ugly here and doesn't seem like a neat or correct fix.

    btw, does this mean there are probably wasps in my attic? Too scared to check.

    submitted by /u/NoExperienceButOkay
    [link] [comments]

    I goofed and painted our bathroom cabinet with wall paint. How should I properly seal it to avoid paint chipping?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 12:05 PM PDT

    I got several different paint samples from Sherwin Williams, and had a lot left over after choosing our paint colors, so I ended up using one of them to paint our bathroom vanity without initially thinking about the fact that it's flat wall paint. Is there anything I can use to seal it that would keep the paint from chipping and looking bad? Thanks

    submitted by /u/_themoodyblue
    [link] [comments]

    What has been your best addition to your backyard? Mine has been my hammock and pergola. Looking for other ideas!

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    First Time Vinyl Plank Flooring

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 04:18 PM PDT

    I am going to be ripping up carpet and installing vinyl plank flooring for the first time.

    Does anyone have advice or tips they wish they knew when they first started out?

    submitted by /u/levittown_
    [link] [comments]

    Window grille to my backdoor snapped with heavy wind, any suggestions?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 03:10 PM PDT

    A strong wind slammed my back door hard enough for the grill to snap, but the glass is fine. I can't seem to find a place that sells just replacement grilles. These grilles were holding the glass in place, they weren't just decorative. How would you go about fixing it?pics

    submitted by /u/closedown_oh
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know why my closed cell insulation foam is wet? The liquid is kind of like condensation and the liquid is thick and sticky. Not sure what the deal is.. Any one know?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 01:13 PM PDT

    Metal plate behind entire surface of wall - why?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 07:40 PM PDT

    I'm located in SW PA. Home built in 1943. This wall is in our dining room, where we were going to hang some upright track shelving. Using a magnetic stud finder in this wall, I found that the entire wall, floor to ceiling, about 42" wide is entirely magnetic. We drilled a 5/8" hole to see what it was, and hit a rusty metal plate that we cannot drill thru.

    I've read other posts in here & elsewhere that hitting metal behind the wall is usually a stud guard, to prevent drilling into an electrical wire behind it. But this plate is floor to ceiling.

    Imgur album

    So - a chimney from the basement fireplace runs up this wall on the outside of the house. I'm guessing the metal plate has something to do with that? I'm just curious about why it was built that way/what purpose the metal plate serves. Or if it has a specific name that I could search to learn more. Google is coming up empty for me right now. And... I'm guessing it's a no-go on hanging shelves on this wall?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/SenoraDroolcup
    [link] [comments]

    Attic access door

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    I'm refinishing a second story room that has two access doors to our attic. The previous owner has these home made doors that leak hot/cold air from the attic. While I'm adding new insulation I'd like to replace them with something a bit more professional.

    Really just a way to crawl into the attic if we need to access it...it's not even storage space.

    Was kind of hoping for something pre-made/insulted that I could just frame around (think attic ladder but for a verticals wall) but I am coming up with nothing. Any ideas or product recommendations are welcome.photo of current door

    submitted by /u/mattmike18
    [link] [comments]

    PSA: water bill is more than usual. Don’t stop checking

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    my water bill was double over the past billing cycle. I thought I was due to a leak on the outdoor hose, fixed it, and thought I had resolved the problem. When looking for some stuff in the basement and saw more than usual water stain on the floor.i investigated and saw I had I pinhole leak from the hot water tank. Turned off all the water in the house, and its still sprinkling from the pressure. Trying to contact the rental company now an see if they'll fix it.

    submitted by /u/Scrapz85
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor did a crappy job tiling the shower...

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    Hi, we just had our bathroom remodeled to the tune of $14,000 (central Florida) by a professional company. They are finishing up. When we inspected the shower which was tiled with porcelain marble like large tiles, we noticed some tiles have rough edges along cuts (mostly in corners and unfortunately along a side wall that will have glass panel installed along it so it will definitely show). The grout is silver gray and the tile mostly white so the roughness shows. Am I being too picky? Should I request a redo? We have not paid the second half of the total cost of the remodel. What do you think?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/WZSYnMU

    Thanks so much for help with attaching images.

    submitted by /u/NOT-a-flatearther
    [link] [comments]

    Washer Installer tossed Bosch AquaStop hose...

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    Just got a Bosch 500 washer and I was going through the owners manual and kept seeing references to this hose. I looked at my hose and it was just a plain steel hose. My thought was the installer might have stolen it, since I looked it up and they are kind of pricey. Checked some security cam photos since they unboxed it right outside the house and sure enough, he grabs it out of the washer and... pitches in a box with all the the packaging waste... So, guessing they (installer/seller) might generally prefer the stainless and just automatically discard the manufacturer hose?

    Does this make any sense? Why toss the hoses? Any advantage/disadvantage to one or the other, other than being out two expensive hoses. Seems like even if they install stainless as preference they should give me everything included from the manufacturer...

    submitted by /u/dctimmer
    [link] [comments]

    Window fashion thoughts

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. First time home buyer here and wondering what kind of window treatment is preferred. Bedrooms have a ton of light which I would like to cover a bit for mornings. Would it be better to use blinds or curtains? Not sure what is most common right now, I like both but wondering if one is better than the other. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

    submitted by /u/random34343434
    [link] [comments]

    Is Engineered wood considered Finished?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    I want to use WeJet. It says to NOT use on un-finished wood. We have engineered wood. Is engineered wood generally considered finished?

    submitted by /u/SweepTheLeg_
    [link] [comments]

    Low Water Pressure

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    My house was built in 1993. We moved in about a year ago and it's pretty consistently had marginally acceptable water pressure.

    There is no pressure adjustment inside the house as far as I know. I've watched 10 or so YouTube videos on increasing pressure from a valve and that valve just doesn't exist.

    All we have is the outside meter, which I've attached a picture of.

    Short of attaching a pump in my basement, is there anything I can do? Is the valve in the picture on all the way?

    Thanks for your help!

    https://imgur.com/a/wVpZT3l

    submitted by /u/funlikerabbits
    [link] [comments]

    How to fully clean my gross shower?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    I live in an apartment building built in 1932 and I can never get my shower fully clean. Here is a link to photos taken moments after I scrubbed it for 30 minutes with bleach https://imgur.com/a/1hS6qlp I'd love to have a clean looking bathroom!

    submitted by /u/magicthelathering
    [link] [comments]

    Upgrading bathroom extraction fans: what are my options here?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 05:24 PM PDT

    House was built in 2003, it was a Build-A-Bear house that I picked up a few years later when the original owners relocated. Over the years it's become clear that the house was built fast and cheap with plenty of shortcuts.

    My next project was going to be replacing the bathroom fans with something other than the $13, 50CFM, 4 sone, 3" duct Standard Builder Broan models that were installed in every bath. The half bath went fine, replaced with a same-size 1 sone model which my husband hates because he thinks the old fan covered up the sound of him blasting out the plumbing (it didn't).

    For the guest bath I can get a decent 80 CFM unit that will drop into the existing cavity, using the 3" duct. It'll be a little noisier than an equivalent fan with larger ducting, but that's fine. A noisy fan lets us maintain the polite fiction that we can't hear our guests pinching off a loaf from the hallway.

    The master bathroom is a bit larger and I was thinking I might just go ahead and upgrade to a 4" duct so I can get a nice quiet 110 CFM Cadillac of fans in there. This afternoon I went up into the attic to get a feel for what it would take and that's when I realized that the cretins who built the house ran both 3" ducts to vent side by side through a single roof cap.

    You guys I really do not want to have to cut a new hole in my less than a year old roof. Frankly, that bitch is steep and I don't particularly love the idea of climbing around up there.

    The bathroom is sized such that the 80 CFM fan would be just about large enough, if it weren't for the 13 feet of flex duct it's working against.

    The way I see it, I can either cut a hole for a new roof cap and then... idk what to do for the old one. Expand the hole to accept a 6" duct and find a ridiculous fan for the first bath. Or I can work with the ducts that I have and just accept that the master bath is always going to vent slow.

    Is there any third option I'm missing here?

    submitted by /u/PlumLion
    [link] [comments]

    Installing a Heavy Chandelier

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 11:43 AM PDT

    So I'm looking to install a heavy chandelier (ball park around 60 lbs), but I have a structural rafter in the spot that I would like to put it in.

    Can I connect the chandelier directly to the rafter or does it require a bracket/fanbar type setup?

    I'm assuming this rafter can support the weight of the chandelier since its basically supporting the roof.

    submitted by /u/azizmars
    [link] [comments]

    Paint not sticking

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 12:40 PM PDT

    Hi in my room 3/4 walls are perfectly normal but one wall has had about 8 coats of paint 2 coats of undercoat and 2 coats of stain block primer but with no success I don't know what's wrong I've sanded and cleaned with sugar soap but the wall is in some areas perfect but it seems to have grey marks running down the wall every 9 inches or so. PLEASE HELP. I'm so close to giving up and painting it black.

    submitted by /u/callumformby
    [link] [comments]

    Question about 2-prong outlets & air conditioners

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    Hey - It's really hot outside where I am

    I haven't had an a/c since I moved into my new place, but it's getting unbearable- so I got a window unit, only to get home and remember that all the outlets in my room are 2 prong :(

    https://imgur.com/aYM5bhi

    I have a bunch of those grey converters (and I know they should be screwed into the plate cover to work properly)

    But since there's only one outlet in my room, and it's not near a window... I'm realizing that I also need an extension cord.

    Is there a safe extension cord that could handle this?

    Am I asking for trouble by using so many buffers between the a/c and the outlet?

    I'm renting, so I can't replace the outlets, and the landlord won't either.

    TLDR;

    2 prong outlet + 3 prong converter + extension cord + air conditioner = safe?

    THANK YOU I'm melting it's so hot in here ugh :(

    submitted by /u/thethirdearth
    [link] [comments]

    What type of siding?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 07:43 AM PDT

    Can someone help me ID what type of siding this is? Previous owners installed an attached garage and roofers didn't correctly flash the sidewall so now I need to replace some panels. siding picture

    Also in case anyone is interested I rebuilt the eave box ends so snow wouldn't just pile up against it. http://imgur.com/a/RYjB7Hm

    submitted by /u/Vakr_Skye
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix a door that will not stay shut?

    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    So after almost living in my new home for a year one thing I noticed was that the really nice double doors in the finished basement that lead out to the back yard will not stay shut on a windy day. I started to find this out in the winter when I came home one day from work and my house felt really cold. I went downstairs to the finished basement and the double doors were wide open. The screen doors remained shut however.

    I closed them and just thought maybe I had opened them at one point and forgot to shut them somehow. The next morning I woke up, went downstairs and they were wide open again!

    SO I shut them and locked them again, and I tugged a bit on them just to see what would happen and they opened right up! Even locked! I pushed them back closed as hard as I could and still they opened with just a tug while locked.

    I eventually got them to stay shut but I had to pull UP on the door handle for the door on the left WHILE pushing the door itslef into the closed position. WHat I think is happening is that whatever mechanism normally is supposed to keep the door closed is something that latches up into the ceiling area. But the doors height literally goes flush against the ceiling so I cannot even see what is up there.

    I tried to grab some pics to hopefully make a little sense of what I am talking about

    https://ibb.co/C7dvrY2

    https://ibb.co/VHYthNv

    This has blown open several other times this spring, so now I have resorted to putting a cinder block in front of it. Is it possible to get this fixed? if so about how much would it be and who would I even contact? Just a handyman in general?

    submitted by /u/voltagejim
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment