• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 18, 2020

    Home Improvement: I'm renovating a 1955 traditional house in Japan if anyone is interested. Photo albu in link.

    Home Improvement: I'm renovating a 1955 traditional house in Japan if anyone is interested. Photo albu in link.


    I'm renovating a 1955 traditional house in Japan if anyone is interested. Photo albu in link.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    I was told this community might be interested in what I'm doing. I hope so !

    The interior should be done by sometime next month. It's starting to look like a finished house. Some of the people on Japanlife/JCJ think I'm working by myself. That's not true, I've had 3 carpenters on and off, 1 plumber, 1 electrician, and 1 tiler, then a few random people like gas workers and stuff.

    The house was bought for about $90,000 USD before some of the fees and stuff.

    Some of the things we've done:
    All new floors
    All new plumbing
    All new modern electrical wiring
    Walls were recoated and painted
    All new ceilings
    Combined 3 rooms into one living room
    Vaulted the living room and kitchen ceilings
    Demolished the giant wall outside that wrapped around 50% of the house and was about 20ft tall at it's highest.

    https://imgur.com/a/MEErgqS

    submitted by /u/kyoto_kinnuku
    [link] [comments]

    Update on Costco shed site prep question

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    Thank you to everyone who provided feedback and anecdotes on my shed project. I took your advice and went against Yardline's insistence that ground contact sheds work just fine. Since this is an extra living space, I want to do it correctly.

    Steps I took-

    1. Purchased 4x 4 pressure treated wood to make a 10 x 14 box for my 8 x 12 shed. The longest lengths HD had was 12 so I had them cut down an 8 ft section and connected the pieces with a 6 inch metal plate. After consulting my little brother back East (and the person who would have done this project if we were on the same coast) I am going to add L brackets to the corners. For now, I just sunk fencing screws to hold while I added gravel.

    2. I planned my site and trenched under the 4 x 4s to level.

    3. I removed dirt inside the box, to insure that I would have enough depth for the crushed rock. Then, leveled it somewhat with the landscape rake. Last, I wet it down and tamped it with the 10x10 steel tamper.

    4. A gravel company delivered 1.5 cubic yards of 3/4 crush.

    5. I installed landscape fabric in the box. Unfortunately, HD was out of landscape stakes and I only had one choice of fabric. I had to use the 4 stakes I had plus bricks to hold down the fabric overnight. I'm not driving all over town during a pandemic for stakes.

    6. Hired my friend's kid to haul the gravel to the site.

    7. After each layer, I wet all the gravel and tamped it with a 10 x 10 steel tamper. Then, wet it again. Did this three times.

    The project cost $200 for lumber, hand tamper, fabric, and landscape rake. The rock was $125 for rock and delivery. I paid my friends kid $75 for the three hours of work. Total cost-$400

    Not bad for a chick, huh? The shed comes next week!

    finished!

    submitted by /u/skankenstein
    [link] [comments]

    How do I effectively paint over heavy burgundy color on our accent wall?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    my wife and I bought this house a couple of years ago which has this terrible accent wall that is in this very obnoxious burgundy color. we otherwise liked the house so we bought it, and we're finally talking about actually doing something about it.

    the color we want to go with is a lot more calm - like lavender, or light blue, something that is more soothing. I'm worried the current color is too strong, that i will need to recoat dozens of times before the burgundy is gone. do i sand the wall and try to get the color off first? sorry, i'm truly clueless with these things it's actually quite embarrassing.

    thanks!

    EDIT : holy shit I am actually stupid. I just need some primer.

    submitted by /u/omegachild
    [link] [comments]

    Running new Ethernet cables to a new room

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:58 AM PDT

    My house does not have Ethernet cables running to any of the rooms. I would like to add an Ethernet cable to my room that has my desktop.

    The modem and router are downstairs in the family room. The desktop is upstairs and over a couple rooms, so not directly above.

    Is there any hope in running this cable through the walls? I was hoping to get in the attic and run the wire down the walls, maybe drill a small hole in the top plate. Both walls however are outside walls and should be full of insulation.

    submitted by /u/iflihi7462
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for washer overflow shut off ideas

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:02 PM PDT

    My washing machine drains into a utility sink, and I'm trying to find a power shut-off option for the rare occasion that the sink starts to overflow. This is for 110v power interrupter/shut off, not water shut off.
    Ideally I would like something with a small footprint (so more like a water sensor and not like a float that would find on a sump/sewer pump).

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/inquisitor1965
    [link] [comments]

    Ductless Mini Split Question

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 08:19 AM PDT

    I'm looking to buy a house, and I've found one I like. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a cooling system apart from window AC units that don't work very well. The owner has agreed to work with me on the price of installing a cooling system after I buy the house, so I've been in contact with heating and cooling companies in an effort to gather information. One company told me -- the only company that looked at pictures of the house online -- the attic space in the house was too small for a complete ducted central air system, but said that ductless mini splits would work well for the house.

    $12,000 for 5 rooms in a 912 sq ft house, was what he quoted me. My question though has to do with how good the mini splits are at heating and cooling a room. I'm looking for comparisons to central Heating and AC from those of you who have experience with central heating and cooling and ductless mini splits -- is it as cool? Do they heat the rooms as well as what I'm used to? I've never been in a room heated and cooled by a ductless mini split, so I'm very curious how they stand up to what I'm used to, or if they're even comparable. For example, I've been in rooms with window units, and they only sometimes cool a room as well as central air, which is my concern, that the ductless mini split system isn't going to work as well as central air. Thank you for your responses.

    submitted by /u/lightdarkthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Crawling under house's to fix plumbing issues is annoying and creepy. Recently had to do some PVC repair under my grandmas house she left my mom. What a pita

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    So recently are water bill was 600$ something dollars. So we started chasing water leaks. Black mold in the bathroom so I start looking under the house in the vents outside for the foundation and find a small lake of water under the house.

    I ordered a pump on eBay for an aquarium at like 90 gallons per hour for 20$. You can take an old garden hose and zip tie on the pump. You need a submersible aquarium pump. Hose fit on with a zip tie to the output.

    So I crawl under and set the pump and ran the hose around to the service port that goes out to the city. Drained most of the water off this way. Left the pump and hose ran just in case this happens in the future.

    Anyways I have a stock of old shingles from a bad wind Storm eventually I'm going to fix the shingles. It's tarped up for right now.

    So I took about 30 of these shingles under the house to make a dry path to crawl on. It was a few days later and still muddy under the house from the water leaks so the shingles where perfect for a dry clean work space to lay on.

    The repair was way enough. Find the leak cut out what's bad and crawl back out to get pipe and fittings. Cut it adapt it and glue back in.

    So back in the 90"s my grandma paid around 1200$ to have her house updated to PVC pipe. It was originally cast iron. They guy who did the work was sub par at best. Everything he took off of the old cast setup was left under the house. And the limited number of joist straps they used rusted away and that's what broke the lines they got loose.

    Luckily there was an old gas line under the house and since it was no longer in use I zip tied all my loose lines directly to this pipe as it was bolted to the joists. It should have been cut off and removed but whatever.

    Dude left all sort of trash under the house. Old quick trip cups and lunch trash.

    And he could have done what I did and make sure the pvc pipes where properly secured. It had two metal straps holding up the weight of about 10 different pipes. And he made how it's hooked up super weird. I would have done it a much simpler way and used less pipe and material.

    And we have always had issue with the front hose. The pvc for that was not even strapped at all. That's why it kept breaking. Same thing with the washer the lines are just laying down there. I'm going to have to go back under and re strap everything sufficiently eventually.

    And at some point a new sewer line is going to need ran.

    I was fucking freaked out about crawling under this house.

    I did what I had to. Would not recommend.

    submitted by /u/pickerpacker42
    [link] [comments]

    Does magnetic primer really work?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 05:27 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right place but I needed to ask somewhere. As a birthday present my family is building me some bookshelves. They were just going to put them together and put some contact paper down to protect my books but I've decided I'll sand them down and paint them myself rather than leave them like that. I've always wanted black bookshelves so I was hoping to use chalkboard paint. Then I read about magnetic primer and have read some pretty mixed reviews. Have you ever tried to use it and if so, did it work?

    submitted by /u/JustMe1711
    [link] [comments]

    Kitchen Remodel Question - KC,MO area - What is a reasonable markup % for a general contractor or kitchen remodel specific business?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    We're trying to find a contractor to remodel our kitchen to include new cabinets, countertops, flooring, painting, & backsplash. We've gotten quotes from several contractors. The smaller one-man contractors are the cheapest but are only providing labor/install services and we would have to source and purchase our own materials. We've also gotten quotes from 3 different kitchen remodel shops. From my calculations they are charging 40% or more markup for their services. Is this standard? I would have only expected somewhere around 20-30% markup. Is there so much demand right now that they can charge a whole lot more?

    submitted by /u/narfnerfmods
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing old artificial grass on wooden balcony

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:14 PM PDT

    Greetings people

    All the condos in my neighborhood have this ugly artificial grass on top of some ugly wood board. It's worn out and needs to be replaced. I have a couple questions before I do it. While most of it is covered, there is one area that gets rain on it and the wood is starting to warp a bit. Should I lay down some sort of underlayment to present further damage? Second question is how should I lay it down? Adhesive? Heavy duty staples? Nails?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/DisposableAcc37
    [link] [comments]

    How long should it take a water heater to adjust to a lower temperature.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 09:05 PM PDT

    I moved into a new house and the water was SCALDING. It has a gas heater that was set to 'B' on the "Hot, A, B, C" scale. I adjusted it down from B to Hot. When will I start seeing a decrease in the temperature? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I've always lived with an electric heater and couldn't find an answer via Google.

    submitted by /u/ToadstoolTerror
    [link] [comments]

    Closet Door Solution

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 08:53 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm looking for a tasteful solution for a non standard size closet. It is 29.5" wide wall to wall and 96" high.

    Barn door? Custom bifold? Custom swing? Make the opening smaller to fit standard door?

    Any recommendations welcome!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/AwGWb6y

    submitted by /u/Roachgigz
    [link] [comments]

    Confusion about vapor barrier/insulation question – – please help!

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:27 PM PDT

    Hi everyone – – I will try to keep this short. I am remodeling a bathroom that has the shower area on an external wall. I had some rot issues, so wound up rebuilding the stud wall. I put up the pink 4x8 insulation sheets before rebuilding the wall. My question is this: what do I need to put between this and the hardy backer for the shower? My guess is unfaced insulation, but I would love for someone to confirm that for me! I don't want one of these dreaded vapor lock situations!! Thanks!!

    Edit: I don't think it matters, but the external wall (outside the pink foam) is mortar and limestone.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/go_clete_go
    [link] [comments]

    How do i fix this the fence is like 1 year old and its sagging and its real hard to lock it

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 02:23 PM PDT

    Pictures below. When it was new it was leveled but over time it became like this.

    Pictures below

    fence

    submitted by /u/mee123jk
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on installing a hose bib and connecting it to kitchen sink

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    I would like to install a hose bib on my back patio. The kitchen sink is directly on the inside of the same wall, so I plan to connect it to the same water line. The sink's water line is enclosed within a cabinet, so I don't have direct access to the wall. On the external side, there is vinyl siding.

    Does anybody have any advice on how I can approach this?

    submitted by /u/charleshb417
    [link] [comments]

    Organizing my Garage. Question about pegboard install and material.

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    Looking to throw up some pegboards in my garage space. The walls are all plywood. My first question is do I need to mount the board to strips or can it go flush against the drywall?

    I also want to mount power tools as well. Is hardboard sturdy enough for that? Or do I need a material that's more heavy duty?

    submitted by /u/liveoakenforest
    [link] [comments]

    Saw a little mouse in my flat yesterday and droppings on the balcony. Now what?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 12:26 PM PDT

    I saw a tiny little mouse yesterday in my flat and noticed droppings today on the balcony. I had some boxes that i used to store stuff (which I have now thrown away because there were some droppings inside too). The droppings were probably there for longer but idiot me has never seen mice outside of a field or maybe the subway tracks so believe when i say that if i hadn't googled it, i wouldn't have known what they were. Anyway, a few nights ago I fell asleep with the balcony door open because it was very warm. Yesterday I saw this little bugger and I am now waiting for amazon prime to deliver traps. I checked all my cupboards and nothing seemed to be toiched, no bags eaten through, nothing, which leads me to think the little mouse inside is just a recent problem. I am not sure whether to call an exterminator and announce my landlord or really rely on the fact that there is just one mouse inside and set a few traps first and panic later? Also, how do you know you no longer have mice in your flat? If i catch it (or several), how do I know I should still worry or not?

    submitted by /u/NearbyLime
    [link] [comments]

    3.5 ton AC for 1800 sq ft home in TX

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    Hi all! Im going cross eyed from research so I thought Id reach out here. We have a 30 year old ac unit that just cant keep up anymore with San Antonio heat and 3 kids that are in and out all day. I interviewed 5 companies and had a mix of 3 or 3.5 ton AC's as we are right on the edge. Any personal opinions on this would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/chasenaiden7
    [link] [comments]

    Door latch doesn't shut all the way, how to fix. See photo

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 01:32 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/b17eGT2

    I was thinking about trying to replace the whole unit. But there has got to be a better way to do this. The latch only sticks out when the interior handle is used. When the outside handle is used, there is no friction and it opens smoothly.

    Very infuriating when you gotta re-pull a couple times to get out.

    submitted by /u/Realistic2
    [link] [comments]

    Help; need to turn a bunch of 2x4s into a water resistant/proof barrier. What adhesive would be good for this?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    So basically I will have 5 - 8ft 2x4s nailed to a couple of shorter cross boards to support them. I have clamps but I thought I should use some kind of caulk or tar between them. Prefer to do on the cheap. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/rob5i
    [link] [comments]

    Water Damaged Drywall Behind Cabinets

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    The neighbor next to my condo had some water damage. They informed me that the drywall on my side has damage and mold. It happens to be right behind my brand new kitchen cabinets. Seems to be about 2ft X 4 ft.

    My question is, could they (or I) replace the drywall (or make some other repair), without having to rip up my kitchen? In other words, could they do the repair from my neighbors side? They already have the wall open.

    submitted by /u/SIX8NATE
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone know what this type of tile is called? (Pic included)

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    I spotted this tile I really like but am failing to find it in a google search, maybe because I'm not using the correct search terms.

    this is the tile

    What I am specifically looking for is the change in color within each tile. Is there a name for this style? If you happened to have seen this anywhere please let me know.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/downheartedbaby
    [link] [comments]

    How do I design/build a built in double desk with shelves?

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 04:59 PM PDT

    I can see the finished product in my head, and have no idea how to execute.

    I have an alcove in my office where the washer and dryer used to be. I envision a double desk with probably 12 or 15in drawer in the middle. Then some sort of shelving up to the ceiling. All built in and trimmed out.

    I've looked at designs and can identify what I like. But how to a draw this up, plan it, etc? How do I know what kind of wood to use or what width? I haven't done a lot of improvement projects but I really want to tackle this instead of paying someone. Especially because I have such a specific idea in my head.

    Need some experienced reddit home improvement folks to tell me if I'm nuts to do this as my first project, if it's doable, and how to get started.

    submitted by /u/tohellwithausername
    [link] [comments]

    New Homeowner and Water Damage Repair Options

    Posted: 18 Jun 2020 02:10 PM PDT

    I have laminate countertops and backsplash in my kitchen. I just noticed that the laminate seems to be pulling away from the wall behind the sink, and suspected water spilling over from the sink made it behind the laminate and into the particleboard. After having a water damage restoration company take a look, they confirmed that was exactly the case.

    The company recommended I have them put their dehumidifiers in for about 3 days and let them treat for mold, and quoted that being around $700-800. They also said I could have the backsplash removed and replaced immediately as another option. They said I'd need to replace the backsplash ultimately, since it warped.

    I'm hoping to throw two questions out to the community: first, are the professional dehumidifiers necessary for this small section, or is there something I can do to help the particleboard dry out completely? Second, is the amount quoted typical? I'm new to this type of repair, but it seems really high.

    submitted by /u/lutevslyre
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment