• Breaking News

    Wednesday, June 17, 2020

    Home Improvement: Genie garage door opened stopped working after thunder storm, sensors not working. FIXED

    Home Improvement: Genie garage door opened stopped working after thunder storm, sensors not working. FIXED


    Genie garage door opened stopped working after thunder storm, sensors not working. FIXED

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:37 AM PDT

    After a lightning storm my genie intellicode garage door opener would not close unless I held the button on the wall panel. The lights on the sensors were not on. The problem was the "sequencer board". It sells for $60-$80.

    I traced the problem to a failed TVS (transient voltage suppressor). It was measuring a short (0 ohms) both directions.

    The part number is P6KE12A. Costs $0.75

    I'd post a pic but I put everything back together now.

    It's easy to replace if you have solder skills.

    Just though I'd share to save someone a few bucks.

    submitted by /u/yell0w-sn0w
    [link] [comments]

    Check out my little white deck

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 08:37 AM PDT

    Debated removing this deck altogether as it's too small to be useful. Decided to repaint it for now rather than try to figure out how to build stairs, etc. Scraped it but didn't do a great job. Then primed with Zinner cover stain oil based primer. This finished pic is just with the primer actually, I'll post an update once the white paint is on (though it shouldn't look much different).

    https://imgur.com/gallery/lC0zYgc

    submitted by /u/dgottli1
    [link] [comments]

    DIY barn door backyard gate.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:11 PM PDT

    Built a fence for the first time and had this idea to build a gate that slides like a barn door. I couldn't find a darn thing on google so I had to figure this one out on my own. Here's my story and final product

    submitted by /u/HuskerATX
    [link] [comments]

    HVAC contractors installed a duct that is partially blocking my window. Should I ask them to move it?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:02 PM PDT

    Previous owners of my house botched the entire HVAC system. So it's being redone and my furnace is being replaced.

    The HVAC contractors are still installing everything, but left for the day and are coming back tomorrow. I went to look at their progress and noticed this duct is now partially blocking a window. Is this something I should be upset about, and ask them to move it? Cause I think it looks stupid and I don't understand why it wasn't put a foot father back, in order to be clear of the window. There's enough space behind the duct to have curved it a little.

    I just don't know how I would drywall over this, with it placed there.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/Ujg9yp4

    submitted by /u/peredaks
    [link] [comments]

    My boyfriend put a black pen and a stick of gum in the dryer and the inside is eviscerated

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 09:16 PM PDT

    Half of the black markets you can "scrape off" because it mixed with the gum and the other half are just pen mark. All over the inside of the dryer. Is there any hope?

    submitted by /u/pastelfadedd
    [link] [comments]

    What is this and where can I get more?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:09 PM PDT

    This was on my sliding screen door. I live in one of those houses of : what was the last owner thinking?! I am pretty sure this isn't meant to be on a sliding screen door but it's there and it works so I want some new stuff. Where can i get it?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/SJVR4gC

    submitted by /u/danny3535
    [link] [comments]

    Newbie question about French patio door handle replacement

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:41 PM PDT

    Relatively new homeowner question here: I have a French patio door handle that I think needs to be replaced. It's become very rough to operate and feels like there's a lot of grinding going on inside the handle when I attempt to open the door. Additionally, the deadbolt doesn't seem to fully engage with the jamb when I lock the door. Here is a picture of the handle:

    https://imgur.com/peuo9c3

    My question is: do door handles like these come in relatively standard sizes such that I could just order one from Amazon, or would it be better to remove the handle itself and take it to Home Depot to ensure I'm getting the correct size?

    It's probably a pretty basic question, but I appreciate any insight you can provide!

    submitted by /u/darkgray47
    [link] [comments]

    Quick, before the wife gets home!!Quartz countertop repair.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 09:53 AM PDT

    How can I best repair a chipped quartz countertop? I have the chip that fills most of it, but how to fill the gaps? is there specific epoxy for stone repair?

    https://imgur.com/a/MzloPOT

    https://imgur.com/a/xJHaLF9

    submitted by /u/lynchpinbob
    [link] [comments]

    Gutter drainage help needed

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:58 AM PDT

    I have two gutters that drain into a raised area behind small retaining walls I built. The long extensions I have are temporary - I'm wondering how best to avoid possible damage to the retaining walls by dumping too much water behind them. I'm considering these, but wondering how much they'll actually help. Thoughts?

    Photo: https://i.imgur.com/gkEsbtM.jpg

    submitted by /u/Mag7ue
    [link] [comments]

    Where the hell does my downspout drain to?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    Hey everyone!

    Some background info

    My family and I are renting a home, and during a heavy rainstorm water shoots off the [back] gutters and falls near the foundation, which I know is not good.

    The first picture is the side yard with an awning that drains into the concrete. (I'll make another post about how to open the damn thing to clean it, I know there's tons of organic matter stuck in jt).

    The second picture is the downspout of the back gutter, which is the only one in the back.

    Where the hell is the water going?? I put a garden hose down the drains for a good 5 minutes to see if I could tell where the water was going, but nothing. No clogs, no sounds, no wet spots.

    Nothing is draining to the street, nothing sounds like it's being redirected into the home.

    I just want to stop the water from overflowing so close to the foundation.

    Any thoughts are appreciated!

    https://imgur.com/a/lNEC0pv/

    submitted by /u/AScaredTurtle
    [link] [comments]

    Drywall repair question

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    I hate doing drywall. I admire anyone who can hang it correctly then mud and tape it without any blemishes.

    With that being said, I had to rip out and repair the top 4 feet of a 9 foot section in my house. Got the drywall hung and I have taped and mudded (sp?) it. For a complete noob it looks ok. However, after sanding it down yesterday I can see a few spots where the tape is showing through.

    Do I need to add another coat of mud over it to cover the tape and sand it down again before painting it?

    Edit: grammar

    submitted by /u/vashtaneradalibrary
    [link] [comments]

    DIY chimney removal

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    I'm contemplating removing my old chimney that has a leaky crown for an upcoming gutter installation. My thoughts were to remove it down to the bottom of the fascia and then frame in to match the existing roof line. The grout line is perfectly lined up with the bottom of the fascia. I was quoted $900 to do this job, which seemed a bit high to me. What would be the best way to do this myself? I'm pretty handy with mechanical things, but home projects are new to me. There appears to be a clay(?) chimney insert inside of the cinder block. How would I cut this? Should I seal the top of the clay insert with something? Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? The furnace is vented out of the wall and the hot water heater is electric. I do planning on upgrading the water heater to a gas unit at some point, but I assume that will be vented out of the wall as well? Any suggestions, tips, or tricks would be much appreciated! Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/f5oYzGU

    submitted by /u/MNTonka
    [link] [comments]

    Please help. I've spent hundreds of dollars on this backyard project, it's not working and I'm at my wits ends on what to do.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:26 PM PDT

    The project is hanging string lights in the backyard. I bought planters, concrete, wooden posts and hooks + string lights. The problem I'm having is even though I filled the planters with concrete, they still tip over if I push them even slightly so I'm scared that if there's a strong wind they will all tip over.

    The second problem is that the wooden posts are bending and I'm worried they will crack and break off. I just put this up today, I had to start over because I bought the wrong materials the first time around. I don't know how to make this sturdier, I want to hang the remainder of the lights diagonally but when I do that the planters just tip over. I don't have anyone to help me and I feel stupid and frustrated. Please help :(

    Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Ttlesw4

    submitted by /u/opober
    [link] [comments]

    Can this single light and fan switch be split into two?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:42 PM PDT

    Hey Home Improvement!

    I recently moved into a place where the bathroom has a light over the mirror and a fan over the shower that are both controlled by one single switch i.e the fan and light cannot be controlled independently. It's loud and quite annoying when you just want to brush your teeth at night.

    Here is a picture of the wires behind the switch: https://imgur.com/8I6ZZIB

    Question: Does this look like an easy fix where I can buy a single pole double switch and wire them to work independently, or would it require more work than that?

    submitted by /u/GhettoGopher
    [link] [comments]

    Quite a few asked to see my Future Net Zero Home build planning doc. So here it is. C&C welcome.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 01:51 PM PDT

    Can anyone tell me what this is and how I'm supposed to use it?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    Bought a new house. House had these in the closet. This bar pretty much stops me from hanging hangers how I've ever done so before.

    Am I stupid? This feels like a stupid problem to have yet here we are. I've worked out 3 possible ways to hang clothes on this friggin thing.

    Option 1: this is the most natural way I've always hung clothes, yet it's obviously not right and looks rediculous.

    Option 2- this seems like it works but it's an absolute PAIN to put hangers on and off. Feels like I'm being punished for hanging up clothes.

    Option 3- backwards normal. This is fine until you pull the shirt off, then the hanger falls off.

    Help?

    submitted by /u/gordonta
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to strip and painted deck

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    Like the post says. I have a deck from a recent home purchase that needs to be redone. It was painted originally and now is flaking in many areas. I was thinking to start with paint stripper then sand but would like more opinions before I get going.

    Any suggestions on how to quicken the process overall would be appreciated. The deck is roughly 15 x 20 in size so regardless this will take up a lot of my time.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/GetonthebusGus1
    [link] [comments]

    Does my deck corner post look safe?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 05:39 PM PDT

    I had a new deck installed about a year ago. 16x7 feet. No issues but I saw a split on the corner post. Also I saw the post measure 3.5 x 3.5. Wondering if that is okay.

    https://imgur.com/a/o6oSZtX

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/OverJelly6
    [link] [comments]

    Moved to country and I cant do it anymore - I cant do the egg smell in my water anymore. Help.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    Only comes from hot water. No plumber has been able to eliminate it. What do I need to do to completely get rid of it? I have heard you can buy new tanks without the anode rods, or tanks with different types of materials for the anode rods. Getting conflicting information though - please help!

    submitted by /u/TheTonik
    [link] [comments]

    Skim coating over knockdown texture- how do you treat outside corners?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    My husband and I are remodeling our bathroom/closet area. It's a mix of DIY and hiring out some pros to do move/add stuff like electrical and plumbing. We currently have knockdown texture in our house, but we've decided to do a smooth finish since we're patching/replacing drywall in a lot of areas. I've found some videos on YouTube showing how to skim coat over painted walls (painting joint compound on and smoothing) and would like to take a swing at it.

    The only problem is that nobody tells you how to treat corners that are already finished and not just bare drywall- how do I keep a nice clean edge? Add more bead board on top? Remove all the existing bead board corners and reinstall? I feel like if I skim coat as-is the edges will look ragged.

    Inside corners seem like they do fine with creased paper tape.

    Any advice is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/spacefacerocket
    [link] [comments]

    IKEA Runnen or artificial grass carpet for small balcony ?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:49 AM PDT

    I have a small balcony (about 10.5 square meters) which I want to improve for a small child to play in the summer. I added a bamboo reed and now I want to add some deck tiles or grass on the floor so it's cozy and safe for the child to play.

    The floor right now is made of concrete.

    The cost for Runnen tiles is about $250 and custom grass carpet (26-30mm) about $125. It's the double amount of money.

    I have some concerns:

    • I don't want to throw away the money, so I want something that can be sustainable over time - maybe repair and clean to use it elsewhere (I am on rent).
    • As it's raining, the floor has two siphons to route the water out of the balcony. The Runnen tiles have a small space under the tiles so it would be easier/faster for the concrete to dry out. That goes also for water cleaning the floor.
    • Dirt. I guess that under the carpet there won't be any as it's attached with no space on the floor. On the other hand, I've seen youtube videos of people dissembling the deck tiles and there's a lot of dirt, bugs and shit under them.
    • If the child falls down, I want to be safe and do not hurt.

    Looking for recommendations, thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/tonystarkco
    [link] [comments]

    Help? Crooked bricks making it difficult to add external trim / moulding to the window I’m installing.

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    Old home with crooked everything. Replaced the original window. There were gaps between the brick and the old window that were filled with inches of caulk. I would like to add trim to cover any gaps that I'll be filling with foam. My only problem is making the trim look good with these two rogue bricks throwing off my lines. Anyone have any thoughts?

    Should I file the bricks down? Cope the trim to fit around the bricks? Open to any and all suggestions.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/AA0FPTs

    submitted by /u/SpidermansCape
    [link] [comments]

    Any ideas on what to put in a bathroom that is way to big?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    My new bathroom has about 100sqft of empty space about 12' x 8'. I dont have any idea what to put there i already have everything i need any ideas of cool stuff i can put there?

    submitted by /u/SteakGewoelbe
    [link] [comments]

    Should my return air ducts look like this?

    Posted: 17 Jun 2020 04:14 PM PDT

    Backstory: my house is extremely dusty, like weirdly dusty. My going theory is that my return air ducts maybe aren't sealed or installed properly so they suck in dust from the walls and that ends up on all my surfaces even with a high MERV air filter. If this is wrong, how do I fix it? http://imgur.com/gallery/Yd2nAIq

    submitted by /u/devtotheops09
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment