• Breaking News

    Friday, April 3, 2020

    Home security: PSA. Be careful if reviewing Alder home security. My experience and their cancelation policy is, a little wanting.

    Home security: PSA. Be careful if reviewing Alder home security. My experience and their cancelation policy is, a little wanting.


    PSA. Be careful if reviewing Alder home security. My experience and their cancelation policy is, a little wanting.

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 09:47 AM PDT

    So the service they provided was fine, it did what I paid for, technically, However they require 5 YEAR contract. I also paid 50 a month. That's twice as much as some and 5 times as much at plans like Ring. This was not video monitoring, just alarm.

    Now after 5 long years, and alot of overpaid money, I did review them again, so give them a fair shake and see if maybe new plans are better, because as I said the service was ok, just overpriced. To renew was again, ANOTHER 5 year contract. With IoT and the market as it is, your locked into hardware for 5 years.

    I politely said no thank you and moved on to cancel. Their cancel process is to notify, BY FAX, 30 days prior to not renew by filing out some big form. If you do not cancel your auto renewed. I did fax in the form and called the following day to confirm it was cancelled. It was nit. An hour on the phone and it was now going to be canceled again. Waited a month and got a call for unpaid bill. It wasn't cancelled. Now 5 emails into their retention Dept and a few more calls. 6 months after their archaic FAX request to cancel, it still has not been.

    Last time the put me on hold for 30 min to get to a retention agent so I stopped. Today they transferred me and wait time was actually short, agent said hello, I said hi, realized I was muted and in the it took to pick up my cell and unmute, he hung up. He didn't try to say high twice, but 3 seconds of silence and he dropped my call. So their CS is fantastic.

    Just wanted to share. Buyer beware. Hopefully your experience is different if you tried.

    If anyone is wondering why on Earth I agreed to a 5 year plan, at that time there was no IoT home security like now. 50 was not as high for the time, but mostly a colleague had recently been shot in a home invasion like a week prior and getting something for my own home was a high priority that probably made me skip some review.

    Anyway, hope this prevents someone elses experience.

    submitted by /u/trich101
    [link] [comments]

    Dog alarm

    Posted: 03 Apr 2020 12:36 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I am looking at boosting my home security. I was just thinking, why not have a speaker system that imitates a dog barking? Are there any good products that do this? What are the drawbacks?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/HStuart18
    [link] [comments]

    Abode vs setting up Wyze cams and Wyze sensors?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 02:53 PM PDT

    I'm looking to rig my house for some home monitoring, and I am deciding between Abode and setting up a bunch of Wyze sensors and cameras around the house. I also have a Yale T1L lock to install. If I get the Abode, we would most likely go with the self-monitoring plan. If we go with this, I can't see what is the difference between Abode's sensors telling me when doors or windows are open, and Wyze's sensors telling me the same thing. Can anyone tell me?

    submitted by /u/spetstnelis
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision DS-2CD2142WD-I vs Dahua DH-IPC-HDBW1431E

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:04 PM PDT

    Sorry for asking this because I can just google it but the problem is I dont even know what half of the technical info means

    I have 2 camera domes. Hikvision and Dahua

    DS-2CD2142WD-I and DH-IPC-HDBW1431E

    both are fixed lens at 2.8mm
    non wifi models

    Are there any big differences ?

    submitted by /u/Drekk0
    [link] [comments]

    Can an already-installed Concord 4 wired+wireless alarm system be configured to alert to my cell phone instead of a central monitoring station?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 05:13 PM PDT

    I have an already-installed Concord 4 system. I don't want to pay for central monitoring, I'd like the system to just alert my cell, and I can decide whether to call the police. The communicator that came with the system is 2g, so it's obsolete. I'd like to use the existing sensors and would rather not start all over with a new system if that's possible. Is there a communicator that would send alerts to my cell number? I understand that I'd need to pay for the cell service. Thanks for your advice.

    submitted by /u/joninvirginia
    [link] [comments]

    Help on deciding a simple security system

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    Hello, we just moved to a house for our first time. We have been living in apartments our whole adult life. So we feel kind of "exposed" now. To give some more information, we live in a sort of gated community, but our house is on the "edge", so someone from outside can jump the fences and try to get in. The previous home owners used to have Xfinity home system, so I can see that they left the window and door sensors as well as a simple keypad. Based on what I have been reading here it seems that those things are not usable outside of that provider. What I'm looking for is just a couple of window and door sensors that can easily be armed/disarmed (through a phone app is a plus) and when any of those sensors are activated they will trigger a siren or something with a loud noise. For what I have been researching it seems that most of the security providers offer on top of those things cameras, motion sensors, 24/7 professional monitoring, etc. I don't think I need all that, I just want something that will wake me and my family up if someone tries to get into our house and hopefully will also scare them out or give us enough time to call 911 and get out of the house. Any suggestions on what can meet those requirements? I was looking at Eufy, but it seems that the window and door sensors need to be connected to a home base, which is not available outside of bundles that come with cameras. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/fricco
    [link] [comments]

    DSC 1832 indoor siren whine

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    Hello experts! I have a DSC 1832 that I upgraded from a PC2550 mostly by moving wires from one to the next. I also installed an Envisilnk EV-4 for tcp connectivity. It all seems to work fine except that from time to time the indoor siren will start making a low volume high pitched whine which will be a continuous tone then go silent for a few seconds, then return and then sawtooth, all in a random order. I've been trying to find someone (paid) to come look at it, but since it's not monitored and I don't want a new system, I've had no luck. Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/ImpossibleBarracuda1
    [link] [comments]

    $4,000 or $500

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    Local company quoted $4,000 for a fairly basic system that would use our existing wiring, motion sensors and door switches. Installing 2 new control panels and a water sensor. Seems a BIT extreme, especially with DIY systems for a lot less. We can afford the installed system, but these days we REALLY don't want installers in our home spreading their invisible viruses. Looking for advice: what would you do?

    submitted by /u/iawegian
    [link] [comments]

    4k PTZ cameras with audio. Do these exist?

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    So I've been looking into upgrading our outdoor blink cameras to wired and am having trouble finding ones with all the features I would want. Seems like everyone has something missing. I found a lorex one with 4k and audio but no PTZ. Then they had a 2k camera with PTZ but no audio. I found one that had PTZ and audio but was only 1080p. Anyone know of any systems that have all 3? I have gotten so used to my wyze pan, it seems like a must have feature now. But if i had to drop one feature i guess it would have to be the pan.

    submitted by /u/Sms4001
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor security camera recommendations!

    Posted: 02 Apr 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    I'm looking for some ideas on a security camera to go outside on my driveway, I live in Canada so it will be really cold in winter. Preferably if you link it please be a Canadian site, thanks!

    submitted by /u/portugalfreak
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment