• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 17, 2020

    Home Improvement: Batten and Board Nursery

    Home Improvement: Batten and Board Nursery


    Batten and Board Nursery

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:32 AM PDT

    My Basement Powerbrace System

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 03:37 PM PDT

    Got this done today. So glad my basement walls won't cave in so my house will fall down.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/OlJ2fSE

    submitted by /u/Noncompusmentus22
    [link] [comments]

    Houses hot water has poor water pressure.. cold pressure is fine. Also what is this?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:30 PM PDT

    House was built in early 90s, oil heat with an original Burnham oil boiler for hot water. I've measure my water pressure at my external faucets to be about 65-70psi but my internal hot water is typically quite a low flow rate. Enough that if I have a hot shower on and someone opens a faucet on hot elsewhere the shower flow significantly drops. It doesn't quite do the same with cold water.

    Sometimes my hot water takes a long time to get up to temp more recently. Note I don't have a separate hot water tank. I suspect it's my oil burner but I am not sure where to start. Should I bring in a plumber or someone to look at my heating system? I plan to upgrade my oil boiler anyway soon as it's 19yrs old, but if there is an easy thing to do here I'd be grateful.

    Also, what is this on my oil boiler? Imgur I suspect it's a valve to control the hot water temp as it looks to mix cold water with hot coming out of the furnace. Could this be a cause for high pressure drop? If it matters I have baseboard heating as well, 4 zones..

    submitted by /u/HoldonTightlyLetsGo
    [link] [comments]

    Where should I buy cabinet hardware?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:14 PM PDT

    Redoing my kitchen. What's the best option for buying hinges and drawer handles? Thinking Amazon but looking for experiences other have had.

    Price is a factor. But not the only one.

    submitted by /u/rog1dj
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone use the kneewall area of their home for storage?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:32 PM PDT

    I'm currently having the kneewalls of my home insulated, so the company doing the work has cut some access holes through the drywall in the dormer area of two bedrooms for access. The original plan is for them to drywall the area back shut again, but after looking in there today and seeing all of the unused space, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to utilize some of that area for storage? Has anyone tried this?

    submitted by /u/PerestroikaPal
    [link] [comments]

    Gas water heater not coming up to house when washer is on

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:09 PM PDT

    A copper pipe connected to the water heater had a leak. Plumber came and cut off the end of the pipe which used to be an L shaped pipe and simply capped it off. The water heater pipe happens to be connected to the washer, but the washer doesn't use any hot water. However now when we use the washer, no hot water can go up to the house, only cold water works. This was never the case. Could the a shortened pipe from an "L" shape to an "I" shape affect some kind of air flow?

    The plumber did have to disconnect and move the washer and water heater to get to the pipe. Everything seems to be screwed back into place. I even switched the hot / cold water hose from the washer in case that made any difference, but no luck.

    Does this sound remotely familiar to anybody's else's experience. I've tried googling it to no luck.

    Thanks for any suggestions !!

    submitted by /u/yilupingan
    [link] [comments]

    Homemade ant poison?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:20 PM PDT

    Has anyone been able to get rid of black indoor ants using homemade poison? I have tried some ant traps from anticimex but they had very little effect. I watched a lot of videos on youtube on how to make ant poison and they all seem to mix in borax with sugar, honey or peanutbutter but borax is not avaliable for purchase in Sweden as far as I know. Does anybody have any experience with using baking soda or anything else as substitution for borax?

    submitted by /u/Tsoya
    [link] [comments]

    Strengthen attic floor?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:07 PM PDT

    I have an area about 8' wide area in my trussed roof that I am going to convert to an attic storage area with a pull down later. I spoke with the truss company and the informed me that l that this area is designed for a 10lb dead load and a 20lb live load and will be adequate for light storage. Easy enough. I plan on installing 3/4" T&G OSB flooring in this area but it got me thinking, any reason too double up the truss bottom cord? It's just a 2x4 bottom chord, I was thinking about adding an 8' 2x4 and just screwing one to each bottom cord (sister them) to help stiffen things up. What do you think unnecessary and over kill of possible a good addition? Obviously the truss is designed to support the loads they provided me but I just question for a couple bucks extra can it be any better?? Not exactly hold more weight but just be a tighter floor system??

    submitted by /u/chrisb702
    [link] [comments]

    How do I draw plans for permit for adding insulation, frame, and plywood walls to an existing attached garage?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:03 PM PDT

    I have a brick house with an existing attached garage in Maryland. The walls of the garage are concrete block and brick and the ceiling is drywalled. I'm wanting to insulate the garage and add plywood walls so that I can hang tools. Also, the ceiling could benefit from redoing the drywall to accommodate a gap where the upstairs joists are exposed as well as to cover some exposed hvac ducts. I called the county department of permitting who said that I could add insulation without a permit but would need one for the rest of the walls. My question is:

    How do I create plans to demonstrate a change like this?

    All of the plans I see are generally for new construction or for remodels that change floor plans. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Jasdar
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing Frostproof Sillcock

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:28 PM PDT

    Hello all! I recently found my old Nibco Figure 52 Frostproof Sillcock leaking and am doing some research to replace it. I tore into the drywall in my garage where it looked like it had been accessed before only to find the pipe is on the other side of the studs.

    Piping exits house to the right.

    Piping from the left of the studs

    Piping from the right of the stud

    I'm trying to minimize the amount of drywall work I'll need to do. On the other side of the wall is the downstairs bath, washer and dryer. Will this thing just unscrew from the pipe and replace with another Sillcock and can I do it from here? Or will I need to sick it up and cut drywall on the other side? I'd appreciate and suggestions as well as what I should replace this with.

    submitted by /u/silverholt
    [link] [comments]

    Uneven tile. Should I complain?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    Hi guys, we just had a contractor finish up and we are generally very happy with his work. However, one baseboard tile is not flush. Is this worth complaining about? Thanks for options

    submitted by /u/JR_Spaceknight
    [link] [comments]

    Air intake always running.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:21 PM PDT

    Ok... we still need our heat a bit here in the northeast and this issue just started a few days ago. Oil furnace is hooked up to power venter and the fresh air intake is running all the time now. It used to only run when the furnace was running. It's bring colder air into my laundry room and it is wasting energy. I've been manually turning it off at night. Photo is here. https://imgur.com/gallery/EnAnLr4

    Anyone have anything like this happen before? Power venter seems to be working fine and heat works fine too when required but the damn air intake can just keeps blowing.

    submitted by /u/hawkman74a
    [link] [comments]

    New Inventory home with a garage door issue that builder unable to satisfactorily fix. Need Guidance from experts

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I bought a new inventory home in Houston Texas. It is a very nice place and was one of the only few options available. We had to close really quickly for personal reasons and basically got the deal done in 10 days from the time we saw the house. As part of the closing deal I noticed a problem on day 1 with the garage door and the builder assured me that it was not a big deal and they said they would fix it. I will list out the repair attempts in order and how individually they have failed to satisfy me. They have been great in all other aspects and all the other repairs except this one. They are starting to give me the impression that I am being to picky and that this is normal. This is my second home purchase and I had gaps in my old garage too but this one seems unusual to me. It is a 2 garage door home. Originally I was concerned that the garage door frames were constructed of unequal size. They builder has assured me they are the same. They said the slight height difference is because of the foundation sloping and that is normal.

    1st problem) The problem was that the garage door had a gap on the top side which was visible from the outside and it was an eyesore. The gap was between the top of the door and the frame of the garage

    1st fix ) they adjusted the garage door distance closing and the reduced the height of how much the door closed. This removed the gap between the top of the door and the frame.

    2nd Problem) By adjusting the door closing distance there was a 2 inch gap on the bottom of the door where it meets the floor which is just a free passage for pests/ water dirt etc

    https://imgur.com/a/MzIa0O2

    If they adjust the closing distance then there is a gap on top.. if they close the gap on top there was a gap in the bottom

    2nd fix) They added a 1 inch piece of wood on the top frame to reduce the gap and they adjusted the door further. Aesthetically they cannot add more otherwise the doors frames would visibly appear uneven.

    3rd problem) There is still 1 inch gap on the bottom now. Much better than the previous but still an issue.

    3rd solution ) they add a thicker weather strip to the door and it closed the gap...

    4th problem ) The thicker weather strip folds randomly at the edges and then looks uneven. Also both doors look different.

    4th solution ) - The place a thicker weather strip on both doors and the gap is gone and it looks even now from the outside.

    5th problem - both door weather stripping randomly folds on the edges. It looks like it will deteriorate really quickly with constant use.

    Another problem is the amount of air gaps that are on all sides of the garage. Especially the left door in the picture.

    I was planning on pest proofing but how I fill out all these gaps? How do I fix the bottom stripping and solver the corners?

    The 5th solution was to trim the edges of the weather stripping so it does not fold but that would leave the holes as big as can be for big rodents.

    I would appreciate all the help and guidance. This is not my strong suit.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/djknashouston
    [link] [comments]

    Why does my wall colour (intended bright yellow) appear lime green after painting?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:04 PM PDT

    Hey all, advice needed!! Painted my room with 3 coats of bright yellow paint but instead of yellow the room looks bright green(lime green to be exact), do I just keep painting over or will the colour always look like that? I was really hoping for pikachu kinda yellow wall...

    submitted by /u/talkJesustome
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with bathroom faucet drain!

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    Leaking tub faucet - is the cartridge the culprit?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:59 PM PDT

    I had my bathrooms remodeled back in October. Both have Moen single-handle tub faucets, and one of them started leaking a couple weeks ago. It's a pretty minor drip, so I didn't get around to disassembling the handle until tonight. The handle and cartridge seem to have been installed correctly (you wouldn't believe what these people managed to get wrong), and I don't see anything obviously wrong there.

    Is the next step replacing the cartridge? I just want to make sure there's nothing else I should inspect first. I'll try to make a warranty claim with Moen. I expected to have to replace the cartridges at some point, just not after six months.

    submitted by /u/Leia1979
    [link] [comments]

    Running New Outlet Above Fireplace From Opposite Wall

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, about to close on a home. One feature we want to add is an outlet above the fireplace for the TV. I searched and this seems to be a common question, but I can't find a post regarding running a new outlet from an outlet on the opposite side of the shared wall.

    Here's some the links to to photos. I circled the area where this is currently an outlet; it's behind the fireplace in the dining area. I then circled the area where I would like to install above the fireplace.

    https://imgur.com/a/M7R5OdP

    Any special considerations for this type of project? I'd like to do it with my dad (who has experience running electrical) but wanted to see if there's any particular way this needs to be done. Thanks for any advice.

    submitted by /u/KChambers83
    [link] [comments]

    I used my dehumidifier while it was on carpet, and on a towel.......risk of overheating?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    For several days, I used my dehumidifier in my living room - it was on carpet, in fact, sitting on a towel - does that run the risk of overheating it?

    If it overheated, might its internal refrigerant Freon start to leak out?

    submitted by /u/SteadfastEnd
    [link] [comments]

    How to cover unfinished edge of drywall

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:25 PM PDT

    Just finishing up a small basement project and noticed there are a few edges of drywall that I'd like to make look nicer. They basically where the drywall in the stairwell going down to the basement meets the floor joists. It is just exposed rock on the edge. I know corner bead is typically used for outside corners such as this, but one side of the bead meets wood. I can mud over the drywall side but not the wood side so I think that may look bad. Basically, there must be something to make this edge look more finished, I just don't know what. Hopefully the attached pics make this more understandable!

    https://i.imgur.com/SLRj0HN.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/Qw1MV0m.jpg

    The joists and wood will eventually be painted white.

    submitted by /u/Aarontj73
    [link] [comments]

    Cost/Benefit to multiple roof levels?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 05:18 PM PDT

    Is there any costs or benefits to having 4 levels of roofing on a house?

    https://i.imgur.com/DVme2Sv.jpg

    submitted by /u/Joffles
    [link] [comments]

    Help with replacing bathroom faucet handles

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:05 PM PDT

    I needed to know what I should get to fix the following handles.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/w1W4T0i

    Hot (left) slips and doesn't open/ close properly so we removed it. The Cold (right) leaks from the handle possible the cartridge?

    Looking specifically for a low cost solution until I replace the whole vanity when I remodel the bathroom in the future.

    Currently the square fitting measures 3/4th but I do not know where to get a handle that could fit over that. Plus, I still may need further parts to fix the right side leaking.

    submitted by /u/DoulUnleashed
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for workshop advice

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:33 PM PDT

    Hello fellow handy people.

    During some unexpected downtime I'm looking to build a "small" workshop/large shed to free up space I need in my garage.

    I need to use it in the interim for storage of a lawn tractor, bikes, general house crap, and then in the future use it for a small wood working/escape my family shop.

    Here are my ideas before I put pencil to paper. I'd also like to keep cost down but am willing to spend in some places for longevity.

    Please poke holes in it.

    The size I'd like to build is 12x20. 8ft ceiling

    I have three windows from my house build I'd like to use. They are made from 2x6. But I am thinking of framing with 2x4, save on some material. I understand the windows will protrude into the space.

    Is it more effective to build my trusses myself or have them made? I feel like trusses may be out of my comfort zone. Any info links for those would be helpful

    I'm not sure if I want to do a wood floor or concrete. Concrete is more expensive I'd imagine but would be more durable.

    I could put some sonotubes in for the wood floor and build off that. Or just deck support blocks on a gravel footing? Wood floor would be built with 2x6 16" centers with 3/4" plywood on top.

    I'd like a wood stove and insulation. (Cement board and left over tile for fireproofing)

    Access will be by barn doors OR a used garage door with an additional man door

    Not sure what I should do the exterior with. Siding is expensive, would painted plywood stand the test of time? Trim the seams and edges to make it look cleaner?

    What am I not thinking of here?

    Thank you in advance.

    Also side project. I need to slap together a leantoo for firewood storage. I need to move my firewood to get my space cleared for the shed.

    submitted by /u/medium2slow
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the point of an alternate key included in a rekey set?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    Just bought a Kwikset rekey kit that includes 4 everyday keys and 2 alternate keys. What's the difference between the two keys?

    submitted by /u/FloggingDog
    [link] [comments]

    How to Remove this Wood Panel Wall?

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:37 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/vRETQEy

    I am running cables through my house and the plan was to remove one or two of these panels (floor to ceiling) to access behind my TV on the other side of the wall. I removed the bottom trim to try to pry it off and to my surprise, these panels are 1/4" thick and very sturdy. Any tips on how to pry one off without breaking it?

    submitted by /u/PK_Subbans_Nephew
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment