• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 28, 2020

    Home security: Best Wire-Free Security Cameras? Blink vs. Lorex

    Home security: Best Wire-Free Security Cameras? Blink vs. Lorex


    Best Wire-Free Security Cameras? Blink vs. Lorex

    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    Looking to get some security cams for my grandparents as they've been having some issues with golfers coming on their lawn to retrieve their golfballs. My question is between Blink and Lorex, which is the best sub $500 kit? Both have everything I need including night vision, audio, 1080p recording, no monthly charges. As of right now, I'm leaning more toward Lorex, but is blink really that good? Thank you everyone in advance for the help!

    submitted by /u/Apeirologue
    [link] [comments]

    Can old ADT system be modernized?

    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 05:08 PM PDT

    I have an old ADT Safewatch Pro 3000 with PROM chip WA3001-1.3.

    I've been interested in disconnecting all the sensors, pulling the wiring, and scrapping the system, and instead get a newer Google Nest type system.

    However, the old ADT system still functions, has features that newer systems do not offer, and was setup for the house. I have seen and read that the PROM can be swapped out to version 9.12 or above, but given my PROM is so old, is that really the case?

    Does anyone have experience with swapping out the entire circuit board for a new one with IP/Cellular connectivity, rewiring the sensors, and reprogramming the system with new keypads? Is this even possible?

    What would be really neat would be to "modernize" this system, then augment or integrate it with Google, Simplisafe, Alexa, etc.

    submitted by /u/ToolManJay
    [link] [comments]

    Hole Size for Pigtail

    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    I purchased Amcrest's turret style IP8M-T2499E camera today with the intention of wall mounting it onto brick. I wasn't going to use a wall mount bracket/junction box just so that it wouldn't stick out too much.

    Later today, I realized that I probably can't hide the pigtail in the mounting box that comes with the camera, so I'm probably going to have to drill a large hole through the brick and hide the pigtail in the brick/wall. My question is, what size hole do you need to drill?

    I can drill a 3/4" hole through the mortar but anything bigger and the brick is going to start to chip. Would 3/4" be sufficient to pass the pigtail through?

    submitted by /u/ac312773
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a basic security camera setup in Australia

    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 11:35 AM PDT

    Hello all, I'm looking for a single/duo home security camera solution to monitor the front door & driveway at the front of my house. I'm pretty new when it comes to security camers however I'm pretty tech savy when it comes to computers if this helps giving recommendations.

    These are my requirements and preferences:

    - Accesbility to monitor live via a PC using the home network wirelessly.

    - Also accessable via an application on an iPhone/iPad.

    - Nighvision.

    - Record to an SD card if.

    - At least 1080p

    Budget of about $200 AUD.

    I've found a few but I'm confused as to which brands and models offer the best PC monitoring software or if it can be streamed to VLC or whatever etc.

    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I know you guys are much more informed about this than me! :)

    submitted by /u/ApexDesignsAU
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for recommendations on a small business type system for parents

    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 09:25 AM PDT

    Sorry if I betray my absolute ignorance about security systems here. I have been trying to find a security system for my folks but am a bit overwhelmed by the options. My parents have a rural acreage with several outbuildings. They have never installed a home security system before but would like an outdoor setup with at least four cameras, one on each corner of the house. I suspect once my dad has it established he will also want to install cameras on the barns/sheds around the property. He is very handy and is capable of wiring the system himself if need be. That said, these are the features he is looking for:

    • At least four cameras
    • Weatherproof from below 0 to over 100
    • The ability to watch live footage on both a TV and a phone
    • Immediate push notification if motion is detected (human detection is preferred if possible, as they have a lot of wildlife around)
    • Hard drive storage of recorded footage
    • No subscription or monthly fees
    • Easy software installation is a plus (my parents aren't great with technology and I'm unable to help as I'm a hundred miles away in isolation)
    • Wireless is preferred, but wired is doable

    I'm also thinking ahead to how difficult it would be to add additional cameras to the system. The ones on the house could easily be wired, but if they wanted to add a camera to a shed that is 100 yards away, would that be possible?

    The two systems I have found so far that seem to meet their needs are the Night Owl C20X-81-8L and the Lorex MPX86W - any thoughts on those?

    Any recommendations are appreciated!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/drfrosting
    [link] [comments]

    "Smart" camera for utterly simple (but future-proof) home control

    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 05:02 AM PDT

    Hello everyone! I'm in search for a piece of advice.

    I'm building a simple yet flexible home automation system for my elders, easing some of their burdens while me and my family are abroad for business. Cobbled together a Home Assistant server, added some Zigbee devices and voila. Now for cameras.

    I need some simple PTZ cameras with the "best" image quality which I can access over the Internet via HA, supporting ONVIF and RTSP for full integration and... well I was looking at Reolink's E1 Pro, but I'm worried of how (aside from the obvious phoning home), they STILL require their application for initial configuration - what if they stop supporting the cam? How can I configure it and add it to the network?

    Advice would be VERY helpful, thanks :)

    submitted by /u/cicciosprint
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment