• Breaking News

    Sunday, March 15, 2020

    Home Improvement: Soundproofing babies room from gunfire.

    Home Improvement: Soundproofing babies room from gunfire.


    Soundproofing babies room from gunfire.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    We live near an outdoor shooting range (Midwest) and up until two years ago the gunfire was not an issue. I'm not sure what happened, if they expanded or paved but the decibel level went from mid 40's to over consistent 90-120 outside all day long. In the house with windows and door closed it hits 45-60 on average. This is the Midwest so we have solid insulation and the windows are new and double paned. This has been hard on our little one who is less than two years old with the louder shots now starting to wake her from naps. I'd like to soundproof her room but we're on a budget. Her room also faces the east so it has the potential of getting pretty warm in there in the summer. We don't have the money to move and the house is amazing in every other way. Any advice would be much appreciated. We did not know there was an outdoor gun range when moving here, the days we looked at the house seemed to be the days it was closed. Learn something new everyday. 
    submitted by /u/Reinheitsgetoot
    [link] [comments]

    Shower Stall: how easy/difficult would it be to replace this piece

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 06:50 AM PDT

    Help! I found a scary fibrous chunk in the garden. Please help us identify it.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/2hlkBWw - PHOTOS

    Hi all - me and my brother in law have decided to turn the yard into a garden as part of our staying sane during the Covid-19 outbreak in LA. We were turning the soil and removing weeds when I came across this small chunk of material. It spooked me because of the glassy-looking fibres protruding from all ends. I was raised in Sydney so anything with glassy fibres scared me and I dropped everything, showered, and covered the item with a thick towel to avoid wind.

    Can anyone please help me identify what this is? I want to believe it's nothing hazardous, but also, avoiding cancer in 20 years where possible was never a bad thing, was it?

    submitted by /u/Jev_lutsen
    [link] [comments]

    Why a single basin sink?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 07:40 AM PDT

    It seems like most people today are choosing single basin vs double basin sinks and for the life of me I can not figure out why. When I am cooking, I like to have one basin full of soapy water that I can wash things as I go along. I then rinse in the empty sink and either towel dry or put on a drying rack. This also leaves the empty sink available for tasks such as rinsing vegetables and having easy access to the disposal.

    When washing dishes the same thing applies. I have one sink full of soapy water and the other available for scraping/rinsing/garbage disposaling. Clean dishes go on the drying rack to dry.

    The only way I can see to maintain a similar work flow with a single basin is to have a tub of soapy water sitting in the single basin.

    I do understand that the single basin is convenient for washing larger items, but the drawbacks dont seem worth it to me. So reddit, what am I missing with regard to single basin sinks?

    submitted by /u/avaxas
    [link] [comments]

    Water heater leaking and can’t figure out how to turn off water

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 08:40 PM PDT

    My water heater has a leak, water is coming out of the side panel and there seems to be no way to shut off the water. My house water valve is in a plastic pipe buried in my yard, and they put a slot for the valve to fit in so it's unturnable unless I dig up the whole pipe. The shut off valve on top is loose, no matter how much I turn it it does not lock. What can I do? pics

    submitted by /u/Ek_Vitki
    [link] [comments]

    How to choose deck stain color? Brand? I basically just want a 'wood' look while using a semi transparent stain.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 06:48 AM PDT

    I have two 12 by 12 decks that are directly above one another on my split level home. The wood has gotten that terrible grey moldy look to it. I've already bought some Behr acid based product and I own a pressure washer to strip the outer layer off. What I can't decide on is the best brand for longevity and the look I want. After thinking I would like either the Redwood or Cedar style look, from most of the videos I've seen you end up having a deck that is either too red or too orange. Is their any particular brand that isn't completely transparent but preserves a natural gold look to the wood than can last me 5 or more years? Trying to decide between brands and what offers what between Behr, Olympia, Thompsons, etc is almost as bad as trying too sift through marketing gimmicks when buying a tv these days. So hopefully I can draw on someone's experience who has taken on this project before. Given the sizes of both decks, could I get away with a single gallon? Pics attached.

    https://i.imgur.com/zFfe4NF.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/u7lQBIL.jpg

    submitted by /u/Riggs909
    [link] [comments]

    "Danger lead hazard" tape under carpet?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 04:21 PM PDT

    We are pulling up a carpet to redo the floor, there is red "police tape" style tape underneath it that says "danger lead hazard" on it. I've never heard of something like this before, does anyone know what it is/what to expect moving forward?

    submitted by /u/pookatdino
    [link] [comments]

    Beadboard vs Shiplap

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    Has anyone ever used thicker Beadboard pannels for their walls? I like the Shiplap look but Beadboard is much cheaper. I don't like the skinny Beadboard that everyone uses for Wainstcoating but I found some that had wider panels. Anyone have any tips?

    submitted by /u/moshi13
    [link] [comments]

    Mistakes were made - how to fix painting errors

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 09:27 PM PDT

    So, blundering my way through my first ever completely self-attempted woodworking & painting project, I seem to have made the amateur mistake of relying on painters tape to do too much. I've either had paint bleed through/under the tape, or, in some places, turns out I didn't quite reach the edge at all (or, it came off with the tape).

    But on top of that, there's an issue with the previous paint job my parents and I did on the walls 3 years ago - the tape pulled it loose in a couple places, but especially in the corner it really came loose and peeled.

    The plan I'm thinking is that on my third coat I should freehand cut in on all the spots that I missed. Then, after that all dries, peel off the rest of the loose paint on the the walls, sand the edges and whatever is exposed of the wall, put a little bit more primer on the bigger holes, and repaint the damaged parts + touch up the edges.

    Will that work as a solution or just end up making things worse?

    • Will there be an obvious seam of new paint/old paint on the wall? I have leftover paint for both wall colors, but I wonder if 3 years is enough time to make the wall color fade a little than fresh paint. And also I wonder if latex paint will properly meld with the old paint, given it's weird rubbery characteristics.

    • I know paint can take 30+ days to cure, should I wait a while before I attempt the wall repair job to prevent too much dust/etc getting on the ledge?

    • Is it even possible to touch up the edges with the lighter paint over the black?

    • Side note where I could use help: I really had no clue on how to get clean sharp lines in the inside corners. They're not horribly noticeably bad unless you look close, but they could have been a lot better.

    Any suggestions or advice welcome, thank you. Definitely won't be taping off everything again, that's for sure. I think with a little more practice I should be able to manage much better lines freehand...and hopefully not glop paint all over the walls in the process.

    Imgur gallery of my lovely handiwork

    submitted by /u/aflocka
    [link] [comments]

    Can I simply add two walls, a floor and a roof to my fence to create storage for my garbage containers?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 07:18 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/DBgKn39

    Not utilizing my fence would seem like a waste but my gut says I'd be doing something wrong. Can you help me understand why or why I should not take this short cut? The completed structure would not exceed the height of the fence.

    submitted by /u/remstarcan
    [link] [comments]

    Stripped screw in wall box

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 05:13 PM PDT

    Hi DIY'ers!

    I am installing a smart switch and ran into the issue of a stripped screw on the bottom. The builder overtightened the screw, so when I tried to remove it, the head stripped, then eventually fell off as I tried to take a pair of vise grips and twist.

    I've tried using a dermal to create a groove, but the surroundings are making it difficult to get the dermal blade straight and deep. At this point, the screw is practically recessed into the housing.

    What should I do now? I contemplated removing the second switch, which is a hot switch, and connect the wires to make it always hot (why do contractors still make houses with hot switches? 🙃), and then place the smart switch in that location, and find a new faceplate that covers the now vacant spot (if that's even available).

    Here's my existing situation:

    https://imgur.com/gallery/4i20AcO

    Thanks in advance for the help!

    submitted by /u/rushjustice
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom vanity ideas needed!

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 08:44 PM PDT

    Bought a house in September and been dealing with an ugly bathroom. Really wanting to fix it up. Not sure if this vanity is salvageable or I'll have to gut it and save up to buy a whole new vanity. Any ideas of what to do? The old sliding doors and lack of storage is killing me! pics of bathroom

    submitted by /u/rlyne1
    [link] [comments]

    Roofing Companies Won't do Soffit Vents

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    Just moved into an incredibly old house, love it to pieces. It needs a new roof however.

    Most of the roofing companies I've gotten quotes from have ridge vents included or as an extra, everyone is offering to remove the already present Turbine if ridge vents are added, and there might be another ventilator too they are offering to remove, can't remember that right now.

    There are gable vents on three sides of the house, a turbine, and another fan. Its a small house at 900 square feet.

    No roofing company has offered to do soffit vents or quote them in with ridge vents. I can't get any of them to add soffit vents. Everyone says they are perfectly functional without soffit vents but with Reddit's help I'm understanding that isn't true.

    I'm reading around that ridge vents aren't great if not paired with soffit vents, and I would have to close up the gable vents.

    Should I install ridge vents, remove the turbine and fan, stop up gable vents, and install soffit vents myself?

    Or should I let them keep their ridge vents, and keep my turbine and gable vents.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_YOUR_SUNSHINE
    [link] [comments]

    Crack in Hardwood Floor Raised Edge After Finish

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 09:13 AM PDT

    I'm working on restoring the original hardwood floors in my 133-year-old home. The wood is a mix of red and white oak and they've come out beautifully with one pretty minor issue I wanted to ask y'all about. After applying the sealer and first coat of finish yesterday there is a small crack in one of the boards where the edge of it is now raised:

    http://imgur.com/gallery/Zpg7sq7

    I have two questions: 1) Does anyone have any ideas/theories as to why this happened and how I can avoid this issue when I do the floors and on the next level of the house? 2) How can it be fixed and do you think I should just pay someone to fix it?

    submitted by /u/Col_Wm_Kilgore
    [link] [comments]

    Stumped on two door casings that meet in a corner.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 08:49 AM PDT

    Hello! My husband and I are currently replacing our interior doors and have come across a casing issue that has stumped us. We have two doors that meet in a tight corner. The clearance from inside jamb to wall is 3.5" on the bedroom door and 4" on the bathroom door. and we are have no idea what to do with our 3 1/4" casing. Our casing has a raised bevel on the outside edge to complicate things. How in the world do we make this work? Even if we dissolve one into the other, what do we do when it goes above the door to meet the top casing? We cannot seem to think of a solution that won't look ridiculous. Any help would be great!

    submitted by /u/rariya
    [link] [comments]

    Should I be concerned - Expanded loss Bearing Wall

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 08:21 PM PDT

    I was going through photos of work we recently had done on our house and looked at this photo - LINK - of the new beam for the load bearing wall (we had the doorway expanded). It looks like a beam held up by 2x4s and I'm wondering if I should be worried. This work was done nearly a year ago and I haven't noticed anything yet . . . But would love to know if I should get ties redone or keep my eyes peeled.

    https://imgur.com/a/Z3KoLHy

    submitted by /u/BLGLearning
    [link] [comments]

    Foundation Repair Options in Texas

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 08:17 PM PDT

    Hi, All, I live in South Texas. I bought a house that had some foundation work done by Company-A with "lifetime warranty". Recently, I felt the foundation work was failing or at least need some adjustment because the floor was settling again. However, Company-A insisted there was nothing wrong with the previous work and more piers were needed at other parts of the house. I don't believe them. My question is:
    1. Can I find another company do the adjustment/leveling on the previous installed piers by Company-A, if Company-A refuse to do it? 2. Where or how to complain Company_A for their failing to honor the warranty?

    submitted by /u/TheSweeper619
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble tightening and securing faucet with toggle anchor

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    Hello!

    I recently installed a Reverse Osmosis water filter and faucet on the side of my sink. It's one of those smaller faucets that just dispenses filtered water, however, I'm having difficulty tightening a "toggle anchor" that the faucet connects to. So, that means, the faucet is loose, and when I try to tighten the toggle anchor, it doesn't seem to move up, to secure the faucet.

    The faucet has a long thread with this style of screw.

    Anyone know how to make sure the faucet is secured to my sink?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/thisismyusernameOK
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone had experience with installing both a free standing shower and a soaking tub in a small master bathroom? (Ours is 8'x6')...open to all ideas, suggestions, pros/cons, etc...Thanks!

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 11:46 AM PDT

    First time patching a roof

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    First time poster and first time home improvementer here. We live in just at the beginning of a valley in Hawaii, so we get a lot of rain. We have a hole in a part of our roof that resides outside of our house and away from any appliances. I have no experience with anything related to fixing/improving homes so I watched a youtube video just to get an idea of how to fix a roof. Just need some confirmation to know if this is a good guide on how to patch a hole in the roof.

    So it looks like I'll be needing:
    * Hammer
    * Nails
    * Pry bar?
    * shingles
    * sheet metal
    * box cutter?
    * roofing caulk?

    Please let me know if I am missing or will be needing anything else and any other information regarding or related to patching this hole and/or roofing in general. Thank you!

    submitted by /u/TheRealFakeKorean
    [link] [comments]

    How to upgrade this ugly, concrete patio

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    I bought a house which made me really happy (first time home owner) but there are few "buts". One is this ugly concrete patio. There is also a quite decent "upper level" deck so that patio is an overkill.

    If I could do something with it without getting another mortgage that would be nice. I thought about covering it with paving but when contractor said >$4000 I took a step back. I rather just remove it for $1000-$1500 in that case.

    But perhaps I could do something else? Stain it? Paint it? These cracks probably will make it ugly anyway. Cover it with some composite decking boards? Basically I am looking for a cheap upgrade up to $1500 or I rather just remove it. Please, give me some ideas!

    Location: upstate NY (Clifton Park area)

    https://imgur.com/a/e7r7btu

    submitted by /u/81mrg81
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice for folks looking to have an AC Unit installed - pitfalls, up-sells, current fair market price?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 07:11 PM PDT

    Good folks, we've been seeking quotes for an air conditioner unit + heat pump for a 1,300 sq2 foot house w/ forced air gas furnace. This sq footage includes 2 floors (the small finished basement excluded). We live in the Ottawa/Gatineau region.

    Q1. Does a heat pump provide energy savings long term, for this regions climate? - It seems to get pitched to us strongly

    Q2. Our first quote from COSTCO is $6k-7k, including installation. Is this ballpark close to fair?

    Any insight or advice that could help us make an informed decision is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Expansion79
    [link] [comments]

    Grey toned vinyl flooring planks

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 04:53 PM PDT

    Are the popular grey toned vinyl flooring planks just a trend that will feel dated in a few years? I've been thinking about grey toned (which is stunning to me) versus brown toned (not as stunning) and I want the one that will be timeless. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/tra6lala
    [link] [comments]

    Tripped my sub panel. Need help.

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 04:52 PM PDT

    Good evening. I'm currently troubleshooting an electrical issue for some basement lighting I am replacing. I have installed four new lights that are now being fed from my sub panel, previously from my main panel.

    The lights are installed and terminated, as well as a new SPST switch. I landed my homerun on an existing and unused 20A GFCI breaker. I re-energized my sub panel as well as the lighting circuit, but I tripped the entire sub panel back at my main when I flipped the new switch.

    I de-energized again to inspect the switch and the sub panel, finding nothing wrong at the switch, but faintly smelled something back at the GFCI breaker. Is it possible to simply have a faulty breaker? I appreciate any help.

    submitted by /u/GBNNolden
    [link] [comments]

    How to remove these AV spring clips!?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    We are doing some painting, but before I do so I would like to remove these AV spring clip wall plates. I want to ensure i remove these properly, any advice would be helpful.

    I plan to patch right over them once I can remove the plate.

    Can I just cap, just in the box and call it good?

    submitted by /u/qm004
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment