• Breaking News

    Monday, March 16, 2020

    Home security: Is someone trying to get into my house or am I just dramatic and paranoid?

    Home security: Is someone trying to get into my house or am I just dramatic and paranoid?


    Is someone trying to get into my house or am I just dramatic and paranoid?

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 02:56 AM PDT

    For backstory, I am a single young female living alone in a house in a not-great neighbourhood. I wouldn't call it bad, but it's definitely the kind of place that you lock your doors. Always. I have lived alone before but always in apartment complexes with security cameras and alarms and stuff. This is my first time living in a house by myself. I have never experienced anything like this prior to moving into my new home. My house is not the nicest on the block but it is far from the worst. It is obviously lived in with neat gardens, a mowed lawn, and little garden trinkets like gnomes and wind chimes, but there's no indication that I have money or valuables and I have sheer curtains on all my windows so you can't see my stuff from outside.

    Within two weeks of moving in, someone ordered pizza addressed to my house and the delivery driver couldn't pronounce the name it was addressed for. I sent him back to the store and about half an hour later I realised that what he was TRYING to pronounce sounded exactly like a mispronunciation of a screen name I used to use on social media. None of my friends had known I was moving, I hadn't told anyone or posted online that I was moving OR where I was moving to.

    A couple weeks later, I was going to sleep and I was in that half-sleep half-awake state when I was woken up by what SOUNDED like someone trying to open my front door. I listened out and didn't hear anything else, so I went to sleep. I completely thought I had just dreamt it up but now I'm not so sure.

    It's been about 3 months since then, and nothing of importance has happened. This morning, I realised the fly screen on my front door has had a large rectangular hole cut in it near the handle. I then discovered that the lock barrel on the outside has a bunch of scratches on it and the lock is incredibly hard to lock/unlock with the key now, you have to spend a couple minutes jiggling the handle while trying to turn the key before it will do anything. It has been two days since this happened. My mom found out that the door was messed up while visiting for a few days but didn't tell me because she "didn't want to scare me" so I don't know if there's any use filing a police report considering the area I live in.

    I'm assuming someone cut the fly screen to get at the little latch on the inside of the door, but once they found out they couldn't do that, they tried to pick the lock. I keep all my doors locked with the keys and keep my keys away from any doors or windows at night.

    I have no idea if the events are related. The pizza could have just been for someone with a name similar to my screen name, and it happened to get delivered to the wrong address. I could have just been dreaming when I heard something a couple months ago. But something has definitely happened recently.

    Today I went to the hardware store and got a new lock barrel (because mine is completely ruined now), and I got some of the clear acrylic things that attach to the door to stop people from getting to the door latch (even though I use my keys to lock the doors). I also got several solar lights for my front garden, leading up to the driveway and on my front stairs. I put some on my back stairs as well.

    I also bought a motion detecting security light to angle towards my driveway and front steps, and I will be buying a doorbell camera.

    Am I being paranoid here, or is someone actively trying to get into my house? Should I be worried that someone is trying to get into my place, or will they be deterred by a failed entry? What else should I do? I'm currently a broke uni student and these purchases are stretching me as it is.

    submitted by /u/PM-ME-ROAST-BEEF
    [link] [comments]

    Resources on running Ethernet cables

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 07:38 AM PDT

    Do any of you know of any good video or web articles on running Ethernet cables through walls? I'm looking to install some POE cameras and need some help. I have two story house plus a basement. I think it would be easiest to run it all to the basement where I have a drop ceiling. Walls are typical drywall. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/smoknjoe44
    [link] [comments]

    Doorbell camera w/ no service

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 02:55 PM PDT

    Any suggestions on a doorbell camera that has free service or a free app?

    submitted by /u/Mijeelan
    [link] [comments]

    Best how to guides- programming and installing DSC PC1616

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 05:04 AM PDT

    As the title says - would love everyone's recommendation on installing and most importantly, programming a 1616. How to guides, blog posts, etc. thanks!

    submitted by /u/Eboettn
    [link] [comments]

    DIY DSC serial cable possible???

    Posted: 15 Mar 2020 05:01 AM PDT

    Greetings!

    I have a PC1616 that id like to connect via serial to my computer to use DLS 5.

    Is it possible to diy your own aerial cable? Or do you have to use that pclink cable? I can't seem to find somewhere to buy it....(found a few places on back order).

    submitted by /u/Eboettn
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment