• Breaking News

    Monday, December 7, 2020

    Home security: Synology Surveillance vs Unifi Protect vs Off-the-shelf NVR vs Blue Iris

    Home security: Synology Surveillance vs Unifi Protect vs Off-the-shelf NVR vs Blue Iris


    Synology Surveillance vs Unifi Protect vs Off-the-shelf NVR vs Blue Iris

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 10:01 PM PST

    Thank you for your help. First off, I will say, while I won't say "money is no object", I am willing to pay a relative premium for improved quality of life, features, stability, performance, etc. With that in mind, which should be my NVR system?

    I plan to do ~5 PoE cameras. Ideally high quality (4K). Half indoor/half out. May add 1-2 later, maybe even a wifi one down the line but probably not. (Recs on the camera appreciated too)

    Some of my options...

    1. Synology Surveillance Station:
    I am already setting up a DS920+ with 4x 14TB HDDs in a RAID configuration anyway. Primarily to run media (Plex, etc) and store files in my home. Hosting only myself really.
    Added relative cost: Synology license per camera after the first 2. Not that crazy in the grand scheme.

    2. Unifi Protect:
    I am already setting up a Unifi Dream Machine Pro to run my network anyway. However, I'm pretty sure I'll need to buy another hard drive for the UDM Pro, which is a waste because of the absurd amount of space I'll have on the NAS. Seems to focus so heavily on simplicity, which while makes it easy, also may be missing features compared to other options here.
    Added relative cost: Locked into Unifi Protect cameras only which carry a price premium. Hard drive specifically for UDM Pro.

    3. Off-the-shelf NVR/packages:
    Not sure which direction to go with these. I've seen Lorex, etc. Downside about these - I've heard their UIs are not so good. Trading out features for a consumer-friendly package. Whereas I'd rather have something slick that works well even if it costs more.
    Added relative cost: This is probably a cheaper option overall... But the NVR device itself.

    4. Blue Iris:
    Seems like I'd need to run this on a dedicated system, so probably would need to buy one of those Dell Optiplex i7-6700 type systems, run Windows on it, and run BI on it. And then I don't know how easy it is to integrate with the NAS for storage and how the performance of that would be. Correct me if these assumptions are wrong.
    Added relative cost: Additional computer: refurbished Dell I mentioned seems to be only around ~$300 (though not sure if I need more powerful). BI license which is relatively cheap.

    Thoughts? Anything you recommend that's not listed?

    submitted by /u/sauladal
    [link] [comments]

    DIY All in One Security System Recommendations

    Posted: 07 Dec 2020 12:43 AM PST

    Hello! I'm looking to build my own security system for my house. I am very techie, but I have absolutely no clue or previous history working with home security systems. The most I've ever explored this is the Amcrest IP camera I've had set up in my office for several years (PoE).

    I'm looking to do all this myself and am not interested in home monitoring or a monthly plan, mainly because I'll enjoy installing everything myself.

    Here are my goals with this system:

    -I would like the entire system to operate under one umbrella, like one app where it all works together if possible.
    -video doorbell with notifications.
    -3 door sensors.
    -multiple window sensors.
    -audible alarm.
    -indoor and outdoor camera system with storage.

    My question is, where do I begin? I have heard about Abode and they seem to be what I am looking for. Are there other companies that have similar offerings?

    submitted by /u/CullertonA1
    [link] [comments]

    Best options for a closed circuit home outdoor camera system?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 01:18 PM PST

    First time camera buyer here. -I'm looking for an oudoor 8-camera system to mount in my eaves. -Routing cat6 cable is no problem for me, or the building -I'd like all the camera data to go to a central hub, that I can pull off locally -I have an old laptop that I can dedicate to the system if necessary (and add an external hard drive) -I am open to either having a closed loop dedicated system, or having that closed system link to my wifi for monitoring on my cell phone. - I'm not into paying a subscription, I'd like to pay it all up front - Budget is $2,000 or under - I'd like to be able to use some different manufactuer cameras on the system if I decide to upgrade some cameras. - Clear nightvision for up to 30 feet is a must.

    Thats it... as far as I know. Thanks for the advice!

    submitted by /u/blauerruck
    [link] [comments]

    What happens when I'm out of town?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 04:32 PM PST

    I have a Vista 20p with Envisalink and some security cameras. What do I do if my alarm goes off but, it appears to be a false alarm on my security cameras? Is there a way to remotely shut off the alarm? I have been searching but, I'm not even sure how to do it on the keypad. I've accidentally set it off when in instant mode and I have to scramble to get to the panel and unhook the power. I have a siren hooked up so it really gets my blood pumping. I guess, worst case, I can unhook the siren when I go out of town. Any advice or ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/eloiamb
    [link] [comments]

    Paradox security system review?

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 04:18 AM PST

    Hi all!

    I'm currently building a new house and the builder has offered to install some home security for me. It seems to be brand called Paradox. I tried to search for some reviews, but haven't been able to find any online. Has anyone here have experience with this brand?

    I'm just thinking if the builder is trying to offer me the cheapest brand they can and if I'm better off getting this sorted myself with someone else after the house is built.

    Ideally, I want something with a doorbell camera or front porch camera so I can see when the delivery guy comes when I'm at work or when the Ubereats guy comes. Not sure if this is something that is offered by Paradox. Also, if I go with this offer, is it hard to change brand later if I don't like it?

    If so, please let me know of any of your recommended brands if this is kind of a "do it once, do it right" thing.

    The total cost of supply and installation is AUD $1364. Here's the quote:

    Provide Paradox Bronze security system package including:

    - 1 No. 10 Zone Security Panel

    - 3 No. PIR Movement Detectors

    - 1 No. LED display keypad

    - 1 No. Recess Internal siren

    - 1 No. External siren and Blue strobe

    - 1 No. User instruction manual

    - 1 No. Battery Backup

    Note: Including 1 No. telephone and 1 No. data point.

    submitted by /u/711karaage
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for NVR solution for 18 or so Amcrest cameras of various age

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 10:07 AM PST

    Hello world

    Looking to give up on the NV4116E-HS I have for several reasons, mostly I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to reliably keep all of the cameras recording. I've set static IPs on both the camera and router side and the NVR inevitably loses connectivity with some of the cameras over time and thus no recording... On top of that there's no more firmware upgrade support for this model, and the software is truly clunky. Also, the new AI cameras don't seem to play well with the older apps and NVRs.

    It seems like since even Amcrest resells the Blue Iris software that may be the most logical choice for a non-Amcrest replacement. What has your experience been with either Blue Iris or has anyone found a good NVR solution for an Amcrest camera environment?

    submitted by /u/Aromatic_Squirrel361
    [link] [comments]

    Help me decide between these 3 PTZ cameras

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 03:19 AM PST

    Inexpensive camera options

    Posted: 06 Dec 2020 07:12 AM PST

    Looking to get a small motion detecting camera to put on a window sill to cover the back door of an apartment. Really would prefer something on the lower cost end (under $50 USD) but one doesn't somehow try and force you to purchase their cloud or etc in the future. Preferred SD card.

    Also, what would be the best way to protect a car from vandalism when it's in an apartment parking lot and there is no access to mounting outdoor cameras around it?

    submitted by /u/needurhelp123
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment