• Breaking News

    Wednesday, December 9, 2020

    Home security: Somebody is casing my dad's cabin

    Home security: Somebody is casing my dad's cabin


    Somebody is casing my dad's cabin

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 04:01 PM PST

    My dad lives in a 12'x28' cabin behind my house. We live in town. His cabin is actually on top of the concrete pad that the ice house was built on that served the town a 100 years ago.

    Two nights in a row someone has tapped on his window. The first night they just tapped. The second night they tapped and then loudly said "hey are you in there?". Both times it brought him out of a deep sleep. He said it was around 1am both times.

    I feel like its someone trying to figure out if there is someone living in the building or if its just storage. His car is parked next to it, and it has lights at the entrance that he leaves on all night.

    He also has a wyze cam that feeds into my Blue Iris server, but he's had it unplugged for a while due to wanting some privacy, but I convinced him to plug it back in and aim it out the window like it was before.

    I want to put a flood light at the end of his cabin where he parks his car. This is where the person has been tapping on the window, the only two windows are at one end of the cabin near his couch and TV. His bedroom area is on the far side away from that.

    He has a 12 gauge shotgun, and he knows how to use it. I grew up shooting clay pigeons with him, he's a good shot. I told him if it happens again, even if he doesn't see the person, I wouldn't be above firing a shot into the dirt to let them know you are there and you will protect yourself. We live in town (a small rural town) and I don't think one shot would be able to be located by anyone, especially in the middle of the night.

    Besides the flood light, is there anything else I can add to help prevent and solve this situation? There are signs posted saying "Area protected by audio visual recording". We've had several cars keyed in the past parking where he parks, but I assumed that was just some shithead kids.

    Edit - Basic layout of the situation

    https://imgur.com/eBlmDjR

    And here is a shot from the security cam aimed at my backyard.

    https://imgur.com/DlhVhHz

    Unfortunately, motion sensing at that distance in the dark wasn't good enough and I didn't pick anyone up back there the last two nights.

    submitted by /u/MediocreFisherman
    [link] [comments]

    HELP: HNR32P6-16 BEEPING SOUND

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 12:14 PM PST

    Wyze Home Monitoring- Any thoughts?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 03:42 PM PST

    Cheap and simple remote door look?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 05:21 AM PST

    Have a wooden door, and want to open it from 3 meters away.

    Any system or device which I can install on my own? So the door remains locked by default, and through the remote/wireless/keypad, I can open it from both inside/outside.

    The wooden door has a door knob hole, so any advice please??

    submitted by /u/seasonel
    [link] [comments]

    NightOwl - Camera Monitoring with AI

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 05:26 PM PST

    NightOwl - Camera Monitoring with AI

    Login

    Hi,

    I've been developing a system called "NightOwl" which applies deep learning models to the video footage in real time. I'm looking for some advice from the community on how to improve the offering and figure out who would be interested in this type of setup.

    Current Offering:

    • Deep Learning Analysis: detects anomalies such as robberies, fighting, fires, explosions etc.
    • Watch from anywhere in the world using a browser (or app), in real time with < 500ms delay.
    • Alerts when an anomaly has been detected.
    • Work with existing RTSP & OnVIF cameras and the dvr/nvrs etc

    Caveats:

    • Requires an agent to run inside the network to securely transport the video feeds.The agent is a simple application that runs on Linux, Windows or MacOS (or a Raspberry Pi).Agent has to be running 24x7 and most normal people will simply not bother to manually install this. I think I would need to actually partner up with an existing and upcoming camera brand that wants this tech and can provide the other half of the equation :|
    • The server has full access to camera feeds and we could potentially see the content (not encrypted).

    https://preview.redd.it/959fmqm0j9461.png?width=1673&format=png&auto=webp&s=d82a2f1336a5892ee4d6f8d15c3dd537e6086ae6

    Here's some questions that I've been pondering about:

    • How important do you feel end to end encryption is to you? Would this be a gamechanger and make you switch over to NightOwl if it provided this functionality?(Technically deep learning models could operate on encrypted data, this would be technically feasible. I have not verified if it is economically feasible.)
    • What markets do you think would be interested in this solution?
    • What would be a reasonable price in your opinion? (Please also state how many cameras you have)

    I'm nearing the completion of the project and I will be opening up an alpha version. If you're interested, feel free to reach out to me and I will supply you with a link to register for free.Alpha testers will get to add up to 15 cameras max and their free account will remain free for the lifetime of the service and will be treated as a paid user without any cost.

    submitted by /u/KeyboardWarriorBE
    [link] [comments]

    Options for alarm panel and monitoring

    Posted: 08 Dec 2020 11:27 PM PST

    I am moving to a house that's hardwired with sensors on windows and doors. It also has a bunch of cameras that are connected to a NVR. What's missing currently is an alarm panel. I had a few questions:

    1. Should any alarm panel work with the existing sensors or is there some limitation?
    2. What would be the best "bang for the buck" alarm panel with monitoring? I have read up on various options like Vivint, ADT etc. but they all seem to have an upfront install cost and the monitoring is also not very cheap. Is there an option to buy a no-name, effective alarm panel and just use any third party provider that does monitoring?

    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

    submitted by /u/mentiontension
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment