• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 10, 2020

    Home security: Help with understanding the alarm system in my recently purchased home.

    Home security: Help with understanding the alarm system in my recently purchased home.


    Help with understanding the alarm system in my recently purchased home.

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 05:03 PM PST

    http://imgur.com/a/s422G3v

    I recently moved into a house that appears to have gone through several security systems over the years. The last system was Rogers and before that ADT. The current panel that I see is an ademco 5881.

    In the first picture I see the the locked cabinet with the circuit board and above is some sort of receiver that is part of the board? To the left there is that other panel that says ADT. Any clue what that was used for? It seems to be disconnected from the panel so I'm not sure if that is needed. In the second picture there is the Honeywell keypad and something beside it. Some sort of noise sensor maybe?

    The whole system has old window, doors, noise, fire alarm sensors, etc.

    About 2 weeks after I moved in I found what it seems to be a panic alarm in master. I pressed it and nothing happened. Fast forward hours later at midnight, the alarm goes off and the code the owner gave me doesn't work to disable the alarm. I end up disabling the speaker after going deaf. Not sure exactly why it went off in a delayed fashion since the system wasnt enabled.

    So I take it that ideally I should be able to figure out how to reset code to the Honeywell keypad. Cut the power to it perhaps? and then eventually add something like konnected to the panel to be able to use my phone with the system. Thoughts on whether that makes sense? I don't want to have a service that alerts a security company. I'd.be happy with just the loud noise and the ability to see.it remotely on my phone.

    submitted by /u/bigronaaa
    [link] [comments]

    Home CCTV - HikVision Value Express Series?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 08:46 PM PST

    Any thoughts? I am deciding between EKI-Q82T46 (4MP NVR and 4MP Cams) vs. EKI-Q82T26 (4MP NVR and 2MP Cams).

    There are no sample videos online or anything regarding quality. The EKI-Q82T26 4MP NVR wouldn't be useful as the cameras are only 2MP right? Are there any comparable brands/models I should look for?

    Looking for PoE cameras and NVR.

    submitted by /u/YungLam
    [link] [comments]

    Something in the greenbelt

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 11:42 PM PST

    I'm hoping someone with more experience can help me with this. I have sleep issues and I am often awake alone at odd hours. We moved into our house in April and part of the allure was the greenbelt in the back for privacy. However the past couple of months I have been getting very unnerved. When I go out there at night I hear things back there and the sounds are louder and more frequent. There is a gate to access the greenbelt but I have only used it once since rattlesnakes are a big issue back there. It's not very secure since the gate shifted and I can hear something large moving back there. Sometimes I hear snuffling like an animal and sometimes I hear can tops popping like there is someone back there drinking beers. The past week the snuffling and cracking branches back there sound like at least a 60 lb animal. Sometimes it sounds like its trying to get inside. It's completely pitch black and we have a bat house for the mosquitos so I am not interested in flood lights. I can't even imagine what I am hearing back there some nights because its so loud and eerie. I want some form of camera so I can see exactly what I am hearing since often the noises don't make sense and I don't know how concerned I should be. Due to the distance from the house it would need to be wireless/battery operated and ideally I would like audio so I can put a visual to the sounds. I have a shed I could hang it on that abuts the fence or there are large trees in and outside the fence I could attach it to. I have never bought surveillance equipment before so I honestly have no idea what I am looking for.

    submitted by /u/TexasPoleCat
    [link] [comments]

    ADT Control / Command works with Google Assistant - NOT directly with Google Home

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 10:36 AM PST

    I finally got to the bottom of a problem I had with our ADT Control system (also called "Command"), which runs on Alarm.com for cloud services.

    Unlike ADT Pulse, which is listed in the Google Home directory of products, ADT Control has to be added as am Action ("skill" in Alexa langauge) in Google Assistant. Technically it is not a smart home integration in the way Lutron, Gosund, Next etc are, but a service in Assistant more like an online radio station or news site.

    Thanks to a resourceful agent at ADT, I was directed to https://assistant.google.com/ on my phone, where I added "Alarm.com", and then sent this Action to my Google home device.

    The result is similar in that one can Arm Stay the system with voice, but worse than a true Google Home integration in that routines don't work.

    Hope this helps someone.

    submitted by /u/PC_Speaker
    [link] [comments]

    What alarm am I listening to every single night?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 09:40 PM PST

    Wireless doorbell camera with removable battery thats not Ring?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 06:43 PM PST

    Hello,

    I am looking for a video doorbell that's like Ring where it has a quick release battery (or even AA batteries) so I can quickly change the battery. I used to have one where I had to recharge it. It was a hassle and someone stole a package while I was having it charged. I don't wanna use Ring due to a myriad of privacy issues.

    Any other reliable brands with a quick release type battery?

    submitted by /u/WillBettleheimLA
    [link] [comments]

    NightOwl - Camera Monitoring with AI

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 06:16 PM PST

    Hi,

    I've been developing a system called "NightOwl" which applies deep learning models to the video footage in real time. I'm looking for some advice from the community on how to improve the offering and figure out who would be interested in this type of setup.

    Current Offering:

    • Deep Learning Analysis: detects anomalies such as robberies, fighting, fires, explosions etc.
    • Watch from anywhere in the world using a browser (or app), in real time with < 500ms delay.
    • Alerts when an anomaly has been detected.
    • Work with existing RTSP & OnVIF cameras and the dvr/nvrs etc

    Caveats:

    • Requires an agent to run inside the network to securely transport the video feeds.The agent is a simple application that runs on Linux, Windows or MacOS (or a Raspberry Pi).Agent has to be running 24x7 and most normal people will simply not bother to manually install this. I think I would need to actually partner up with an existing and upcoming camera brand that wants this tech and can provide the other half of the equation :|
    • The server has full access to camera feeds and we could potentially see the content (not encrypted).

    Here's some questions that I've been pondering about:

    • How important do you feel end to end encryption is to you? Would this be a gamechanger and make you switch over to NightOwl if it provided this functionality?(Technically deep learning models could operate on encrypted data, this would be technically feasible. I have not verified if it is economically feasible.)
    • What markets do you think would be interested in this solution?
    • What would be a reasonable price in your opinion? (Please also state how many cameras you have)

    I'm nearing the completion of the project and I will be opening up an alpha version. If you're interested, feel free to reach out to me and I will supply you with a link to register for free.Alpha testers will get to add up to 15 cameras max and their free account will remain free for the lifetime of the service and will be treated as a paid user without any cost.

    submitted by /u/KeyboardWarriorBE
    [link] [comments]

    Would appreciate advice on a camera

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 05:02 PM PST

    Hello, I live way out in the sticks in southern Missouri. This morning I found something a little weird by the barn under a lean to. It looks like someone may have been staying there for at least a few nights. I found some wrappers and a couple empty cans of beans and they aren't from me. Some of the stuff I store there seemed out of its usual place too.

    I'm wondering what type of camera I could put up. The barn is pretty far from my house and doesn't have power. A couple friends suggested trail cams but is there anything else that would work? Any advice is appreciated. Have a great day.

    submitted by /u/BrianStaufway75
    [link] [comments]

    Hello! I am looking for outdoor cameras for my home and would love some advice.

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 12:24 PM PST

    I am looking for outdoor cameras that are wired, in that they plug into an outlet (I have outlets in my eaves). But I don't want to have to run cables from the camera to some sort of hub. So ideally:

    • Wired cameras
    • Wireless transmission of recordings to local storage
    • Controlled via app: can see live feed, get notifications, etc
    • No monthly cost
    • Huge bonus if they have person detection

    Thank you in advance for your time and help. It's much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/_jp_1
    [link] [comments]

    I need to get a continuous recording outdoor camera (none of that cloud shit). Does anyone have a recommendation?

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 01:52 PM PST

    Any online store is okay but preferably Amazon

    submitted by /u/CellistWooden
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations for a single camera without fees

    Posted: 09 Dec 2020 03:55 AM PST

    Hey, Me and my wife don't live in the best part of town, we are just looking for a solid single camera to watch our porch and deter people from doing anything shady. There's a million cameras and brands and just wanted to ask yall for some advice/suggestions or just generally what to look for when looking for a security camera. Thanks!

    Edit: It doesn't need to be weather resistant as we plan to set it up in a window.

    submitted by /u/Shimapanzer
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment