• Breaking News

    Thursday, December 10, 2020

    Home Improvement: Contractor vented bathroom into attic, is it an issue?

    Home Improvement: Contractor vented bathroom into attic, is it an issue?


    Contractor vented bathroom into attic, is it an issue?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 02:41 PM PST

    As title says contractor vented directly into the attic and when questioned said it was not an issue.

    Should I be asking him to come back and vent it outside?

    Is this even to code?

    Located in Ontario Canada

    Edit.

    The washroom does have a window.

    submitted by /u/wheelchairdolly
    [link] [comments]

    Am I crazy, or does the new flashing around my chimney look really bad

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 02:57 PM PST

    I've been in a back and forth with a chimney company about how unhappy I am with the appearance of the flashing they installed. They have answered me that it basically has to be this way because of the angles of the roof in that spot. I keep being told that it has to be "up that high" but it's not that I'm objecting to, it's how haphazard and sloppy it looks. Maybe I'm wrong and it looks fine or is supposed to look like that, but honestly, if I knew it would have looked like that I would have gone with someone else. All the pictures of chimney flashing on their website look far neater, cleaner and more straight, of course.

    Can I get some opinions of the apparently quality of this work?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/aBelc83

    submitted by /u/cascadianfarmer
    [link] [comments]

    What were the last owners thinking... Vinyl plank, on top of backer board, on top of linoleum... All to hide these!? (asbestos negative)

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:16 PM PST

    I'm guessing the last owner was too cheap to do an asbestos test so they put down backer board and vinyl planks on top of old sheet flooring. After about 8 hours of scraping and scrubbing here is what we finally found

    Talking to my father in law apperantly it was very common to cover up pine floors as they were considered cheap years ago, but I couldn't be happier. Time to rent/learn to use a floor sander.

    submitted by /u/Tidiliwomp
    [link] [comments]

    Ventilating roof of a single slope shed that I'm turning into an office

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 05:44 AM PST

    Crossposting on /r/roofing also.

    Photos - https://imgur.com/a/o8K0mrR

    I had a Tuff Shed shell installed this week with the intent to turn it into a backyard office. It came with a radiant barrier & shingled roof. However, because it's a shed, there's no roof specific venting. I was given the option to add a simple static vent, however I plan on creating a ceiling with corrugated plastic and insulating along the bottom of the 2x6 roof trusses. That would mean the single static vent wouldn't actually vent the space between the trusses. I know I need to leave space or use baffling for 1-2" of venting in each truss channel. I'm creating the "vaulted ceiling" more for space than anything else.

    I'm pretty sure the best option is a continuous soffit along the lower eave and a continuous ridge vent at the peak of the roof. However it's a single slope roof and I can't seem to find any info on how to install a ridge vent on a single slope... especially on an already installed roof.

    I'm in the part of Texas where we have very mild winters and very hot summers, and heavy rainfall occasionally. I will be conditioning the space with either a mini split or a through-wall unit. The insulation will be to help with cooling costs as well as sound. I'm starting to wonder if its just better to not enclose the ceiling/roof and eat the cooling costs of not insulating the roof... I don't know.

    Any help is appreciated - or advice if you think I'm doing something wrong.

    submitted by /u/yogurt_and_hot_sauce
    [link] [comments]

    Half-acre lot, New homeowner should I buy gas or electric landscaping outdoor tools

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 07:19 AM PST

    My house is set all the way back from a road on a half-acre lot. I have to buy a lawnmower, trimmer, edger, snow blower soon. Should I look into battery-powered tools or gas tool. I am a new homeowner and know very little about what is the best value here.

    Appreciate your advice.

    submitted by /u/homosaphien1
    [link] [comments]

    Daughter flooded bathroom, need advice

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:34 PM PST

    New build from 2017. Our daughter left the sink on slightly and it flooded our second story bathroom. There was about 1/8 inch of water on the counters, under the cabinets, and on the floors. It made it way out to the carpeted area as well. It was on for about 3 or 4 hours. It also leaked through the baseboards and wall down through the first story and into the basement. There was a good size puddle but not a significant amount. Our deductible is $5000 and we called a water repair company Serve Pro who is using fans and dehumidifiers to dry everything out for ~$3k for 5 days. We're trying to avoid the insurance claim if possible. Our friends are telling us that since it's clean water there's no reason for us to do all of this and we could have just let it dry. I was recently diagnosed with cancer so we are being extra cautious and are scared of mold.

    We're trying to find the balance between being safe and responsible home owners but also don't want to go overboard or be ripped off for something that isn't a big deal. Would love any thoughts on what the right approach is.

    submitted by /u/Ghostin0hs
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any benefit to a two-pronged outlet vs. three-pronged?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 03:58 PM PST

    I am redoing my office and one item on the list is to replace all of the two-pronged, ungrounded outlets with three-pronged so I can plug my monitors and standing desk in. The first step before swapping out is to ensure the two-pronged outlet is grounded, so I go around the room with my multimeter and confirm that all 4 of the outlets are grounded. Now I'm wondering (as you usually do when you start a small project) if the rest of my house's two-pronged outlets are grounded - and they almost all are! Which begs the question - why are all of these outlets two-pronged in the first place? To me there doesn't seem to be any benefit since all it seems to do is limit the types of plugs you can plug in. Anyone want to tell me if there are any benefits to two-pronged outlets before I go crazy and replace my entire house with grounded three-pronged outlets?

    submitted by /u/dodgerblue32
    [link] [comments]

    Best greys for cabinets

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 04:57 PM PST

    We are building a home and the builder told us to choose the color of our cabinets from Benjamin Moore. We want to do a lightish gray color but we're having trouble figuring out what specific shade to do. Can anyone recommend certain shades, especially with pictures of the shade painted on cabinets? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/hash-brown3
    [link] [comments]

    Black Mastic vs. Loose Black Paper under flooring?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:22 PM PST

    What is the difference?

    submitted by /u/steven2720
    [link] [comments]

    Gas fireplace won’t turn on (pilot lit) after popping off the front surround to clean. What could I have done?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:13 PM PST

    I took off the front surround (the metal and mesh part) of my gas fireplace (house built in 1978) and after putting it back on, the fireplace won't turn on. The pilot is visibly lit. There's both a manual on switch under the fireplace and a separate thermostat for the fireplace. Neither are turning it on. It was working fine up until I took the surround off. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/frmethistime
    [link] [comments]

    Quoted $16k for 13 vinyl windows in central Texas - Is this reasonable or overpriced?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:59 PM PST

    Met with someone from Power Home Remodeling group who gave my wife & I a long presentation on windows. Long story short, we ended up signing... but I have a 3 day opt out window and am beginning to second guess. My wife is still on board with going with them, but she usually leaves it up to me to coordinate these projects. The salesman was really convincing that we could probably find cheaper windows, but the ones from places like Home Depot won't be as quality and the contractors likely won't know what they're doing (I know, sales tactic). We currently have 13 aluminum windows (house built in the 60's) 3 of which are doublewide... total price with install for all new vinyl is $15,990.

    submitted by /u/CandidToast
    [link] [comments]

    Cleaning mold out of old basement walls

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 08:05 PM PST

    I have bought my first house and it was a major fixer upper for a good price. I've finished almost everything else but left the basement alone for the two years I've been renovating the rest of the house.

    I paid a crew to come in and level concrete the basement floors, it was previously just a dirt floor basement and was always damp/humid.

    I believe there is mold on the basement walls due to the discoloring and I was wondering what is the best way to clean this? I was thinking about just spraying everything with bleach and scrubbing but figured I'd check if anyone else had any advice.

    Here are some pictures of the parts of the basement wall in question. Ignore the bad expansion foam jobs haha.

    Would a dehumidifier be a good option for keeping the basement dry? I need to also put a vent in somehow to get some fresh air in there

    The house was built in the late 1800's as a millhouse in New England.

    submitted by /u/DellickT
    [link] [comments]

    Question about setting posts for a deck extension.

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:44 AM PST

    My FIL is helping me build a deck extension off our back patio. He's built a number of decks up in Ohio over the years so I'm pretty confident in his knowledge and expertise.

    For the posts, we decided to dig 18" deep holes, and backfill the holes with dirt after the pressure treated posts were set. I'm hearing from other sources that this is wrong on all accounts, that rot will surely occur and my deck will fall apart.

    My FIL insist that this method is fine in our region (Central Texas) because we do not have the same freeze and thaw cycle that he experienced up in the north.

    Is it ok that we didn't use cement to set the posts? For what it's worth, the dirt just below the grass is basically all clay, and digging deeper that 18" is almost impossible on account of the bedrock just below the layer clay.

    progress pic

    submitted by /u/TheBockKnight
    [link] [comments]

    Prepping plaster walls for skim coat

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 07:32 PM PST

    Kitchen reno. Do I need to sand these plaster walls before I skim coat or any other prep? Or do I just skim coat and not worry about it?

    If I need to sand, is that done with an orbital sander or drywall sander or what?

    submitted by /u/foodlover516
    [link] [comments]

    New some ideas to melt ice on stairs

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 02:58 PM PST

    Hello guys, during the winter snow gradually add up on my outside aluminum stairs even if we try to remove it as it falls. The surface is uneven so there is always leftover snow that piles and create and ice layer. I am trying to figure out a way to get rid of it permanently. All I've found so far are heating mats that cost over hundreds of dollars. Any ideas? Thx

    submitted by /u/norcobikezz
    [link] [comments]

    How long do gas furnaces usually last?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 05:29 AM PST

    I just had to have some urgent service done on my heating system as it was refusing to fire. The error code on the unit pointed to a pressure switch being triggered and the HVAC technician blew out the system to clear the error.

    During the service call he said that it was "highly recommended" that I replace my furnace but it also felt a bit like he was doing that as an upsell rather than legit and urgent need. I have owned the place for 2 years and this was my first fault with the unit and I don't think I need to replace it yet. It is a Payne gas system that is 18 years old but seems to be working well enough except for this one recent issue.

    submitted by /u/psychicsword
    [link] [comments]

    Work lights (on a stand) recommendations

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 07:13 PM PST

    I need some portable and battery powered work lighting options for home, wood shop, and garage projects. What light stands do y'all know of that have a great quality and some of the features I listed prior?

    submitted by /u/pickleryk
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung Ice Master - looking for real solution

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:48 PM PST

    I've watched at least a dozen videos, and none of them seem to point out this particular freezing problem I keep having. I'm running a hair dryer in here once a month. Short of disassembling the entire fridge, should the fD option be working on where I'm seeing freezing? link to image.

    Thanks to anyone who has personal experience with this. Have had a warranty call out 3x. They replace the maker, hair dry the compartment, have silicone caulked it, and it still keeps having issues. For the last call, we emptied everything out and powered it off for 24 hours to allow it all to defrost, and then the problem resurfaces.

    I know there's a class action lawsuit out there, but I just want to fix it and simply don't know what else I can try to do.

    submitted by /u/sjk35
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone ever DIY a furnace ?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 06:42 PM PST

    They can be purchased for cheap online and I'm talking about a replacement vs completely new install.

    submitted by /u/new2HVAC17
    [link] [comments]

    A small spot on the kitchen floor over the crawl space is freezing cold

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 10:13 PM PST

    I have never experienced this issue before. The floor in a small area of my kitchen between a refrigerator and a small chest freezer is ice cold, yet the area around it is warm. The kitchen is over the crawl space. What would cause such a differentiation in temperature? The floor is dry. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Critical-Mission393
    [link] [comments]

    Paint the Metal Office Table?

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 10:06 PM PST

    So I have just built a new house from scratch (North India 🇮🇳). Took a while but now 2 years later we have started moving in...I started with the office / moving some old stuff which we've had in the current house to this one.

    Below is the table. It's metal. Top is ply board with sunmica on top.

    I was going to add a darkened glass piece on top of the table (not stripping the mica) but wanted to PAINT THE METAL TABLE. I cannot understand what color would go well ?

    Considering the wall is beig-ish and the floor is wooden tiles (as seen in the picture).

    Why would look good ?

    I would rather go for neutrals as my father and I will share the office and to be honest, we are going to elegant/minimal/luxury look a lil in the house.

    Thank You.

    This is my first post here. Hopefully I haven't messed up in asking the right way ☺️

    office table in the office

    submitted by /u/theonewhoistired
    [link] [comments]

    How do I tell the grain of my water softener? (64,000 or 48,000)

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 10:03 PM PST

    So I bought a "Fleck 5600SXT 64,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System" off amazon. It says it's 64,000 grain but the size seems small. Also all the water softeners under it in the recommendations are 48,000 and from the same company. So I went on the company website and I can't find a 64,000 there. How do I tell if I have a 64,000 grain water softener?

    submitted by /u/HallOfGlory1
    [link] [comments]

    Hiring a project manager or owner’s representative for a home remodel

    Posted: 10 Dec 2020 03:55 PM PST

    Hi. I have some projects that need to be done around my home and frankly, the idea of working with any contractor or home improvement types scares the crap out of me.

    The stories of shoddy work, unfulfilled contracts and straight out scams have kept me from going down this path. Not good because the need keeps growing.

    I have the money for some modest and necessary improvements in my home, but I'm not a rich man and cannot afford to be scammed. Who can? And before folks say that not every contractor is a scammer, I know this, I just don't have any clue how to identify them. And I don't know enough about this stuff to keep an honest contractor honest, if you understand what I mean.

    I know enough to ask for three quotes and pay on a set schedule as work is completed etc. but that doesn't prevent someone from doing half the job and then ghosting for a better paying/more lucrative gig elsewhere.

    I also don't know enough to actually tell for instance when certain milestones are reached. Let's say the first payment is after framing. I don't know framing enough to tell whether the framing is actually done or whether they've done a good job.

    Obviously, I have control issues. I recognize that and want to avoid being ripped off and I want to avoid being a pain in the ass to the contractor.

    So, I know with large construction projects there is often an owner's representative who is responsible for holding the contractor responsible for meeting deadlines and for the quality of the work.

    For home remodeling projects, are there people who would fill that role? If so, how do you find them? Is there a typical percentage of the contract they work for?

    Thanks for any answers or advice.

    submitted by /u/TarnishedTraveler
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment