• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 24, 2020

    Home security: Is it legal to put a wireless security camera inside my own residential mailbox?

    Home security: Is it legal to put a wireless security camera inside my own residential mailbox?


    Is it legal to put a wireless security camera inside my own residential mailbox?

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 12:23 PM PDT

    I have a custom mailbox at the end of my driveway. It looks nice, but the mail carrier doesn't always put the flag down (and we don't always put it up.)

    I've also noticed on our driveway camera that on at least one occasion a car has driven up and just stolen our mail shortly after it had been delivered.

    I want to put a little wireless camera in my mailbox (like a Blink camera) to notify me when I have mail. Hopefully also to deter mail theft. Is this legal? This website suggests no, but the laws seem vague and it only mentions not tampering with mailboxes if they are property of USPS.

    I realize there are some weird laws in the United States around mailboxes. This is not one of those 'Property of the United States Postal Office' boxes, and it's not a public mailbox. It is only used for our house.

    submitted by /u/SuperNintendad
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to get a full suite of security products for new home. Should I go for Simplisafe or wait for whatever Google+ADT come out with? Main concern is the G/ADT pricing being outrageous. Thoughts?

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 09:18 PM PDT

    Looking for an affordable Hikvision NVR for 4 cameras. What do you suggest?

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 11:26 PM PDT

    I'm only going to have 2 cameras, but want something affordable that can record in high quality.

    submitted by /u/aolsux00
    [link] [comments]

    POE Door bells? Why aren't there more choices

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    Why don't companies like Amcrest or ReoLink make POE door bells? I mean it's a camera with a mic and speakers....

    submitted by /u/Uncle_Bill
    [link] [comments]

    What are competitors to Ubiquity UNVR? Help me find an NVR.

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 01:52 PM PDT

    I am trying out the UNVR right now. I like it.

    Unfortunately, Ubiquiti's cameras aren't cutting it for me (FOV too small, cost too high).

    Are there similar performance devices out there?

    I will start with 4 poe cameras and may extend to 8 over time. I have POE switches upstream of the cameras.

    Things I like: - rack mount - raid / redundancy - connects to switch instead of cameras - slick / easy app for remote viewing of recordings - ease of setup

    Things I don't like: - hard to find documentation - proprietary. Only works with ubiquiti cameras - cost/quality of cameras - inability to send recordings to cloud storage or write to NAS in realtime (I think)

    submitted by /u/VerifiedSlartybart
    [link] [comments]

    Remodeling a home, looking for economical recomendations

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 07:53 AM PDT

    Hi, I'm remodeling a home. Right now we have all the walls open and will soon install drywall. I'd like to consider what the best moves are for security systems as having the walls open is probably the best time to run wires for low voltage electronics. I'd ideally like to not be tied into one system (ADT, Vivent) and have a security infrastructure that will last a few years. Do any of you have a wiring system/standard that you'd recommend? Additionally, general security system recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/outerdankness
    [link] [comments]

    need a low-commitment, fast way to keep people from stealing our yard signs

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    hi all, i spent a long time looking at cameras on this sub last night and feel even more confused now, so i figured i might as well just post lol

    we have some political signs in our yard, and recently someone ripped a 4'x2' sign on 5' stakes out of our yard, broke it in half, and scattered it around the neighborhood. naturally, being petty and competitive, i immediately got a new one, but i want a means to protect ourselves against further theft and other possible acts of vandalism/violence. we live in a mild suburban neighborhood without much history of crime, its just the current ~national climate~ that makes us feel a little uneasy.

    what im looking for is: 1. a cheaper option, since after the election we hope things will settle 2. something we could ideally get from a big box store, so we can get it asap 3. something easy to install, since i will be doing it and im not that handy 4. hopefully something wireless since, again, im not that handy 5. decent enough video at night on the off chance something happens 6. something that can decently cover our front yard, maybe 15ft out and 15ft wide? i might be pulling that out of my ass 7. something with a light?? idk i think that would scare away most would-be perpetrators in our quiet neighborhood

    i hope this isnt too specific!! i was looking at the arlo essential last night, but have found people pretty polarized in opinion on that? grateful for any help i can get!

    submitted by /u/anchen47
    [link] [comments]

    In a gated community in Florida and I Need help choosing a system to use

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 12:02 PM PDT

    I live in Florida in a gated community that is nice on the inside but a mile or 2 so down the road it gets a little sketchy. We have had issues with people sneaking into the community pool, trying to get into cars, taking Amazon packages etc.

    There's so many options that I have no clue where to start. Quality of the video feed is important to me. Having cell phone alerts as well. Not sure what other features would be necessary to determine what product fits my needs best.

    I uploaded a picture of the front of my house and labeled where I think the cameras should go. Would the doorbell be a camera or a smart doorbell? Then above the garage would just be a camera? Are those two spots my best options?

    I would rather use a wired connection instead of wifi but I have no clue how I would get an ethernet cable to these spots??? I would assume installation cant be too difficult. So I am looking for some advice and suggestion on what system to use and placement, etc etc

    [Imgur](https://imgur.com/c3nmAuO)

    submitted by /u/Competitive_Engineer
    [link] [comments]

    Programming a Concord 4

    Posted: 23 Oct 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    My house is about 10 years old and came with a Concord 4 security system. The single keypad looks like an FTP-1000 - it has a READY and ARMED LED on the front. I am trying to get to the various programming entries for things like light codes, zone names, and so on, but it always beeps at me and sends me back to the clock display. Status shows OK. I have a long list of "shortcut codes" to various options that I am trying to get to.

    8+code gets "ENTER CMD" but anything after that beeps, including "00". 9+code gets me to a scrollable menu of simple things but not the advanced stuff I am looking for.

    The "system level" reports as "0701" and the Software Version as 0460 plus a funny symbol that looks like an "F" on its side.

    I have an additional keypad, an ATP-1000, on order to add in the bedroom. Will it act any differently?

    I have found various manuals around the web, including various forms of an Installation and a User guide. They give slightly varying advice.

    submitted by /u/greenbluewhite
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment