• Breaking News

    Friday, October 16, 2020

    Home security: Hit and run caught on my home camera today

    Home security: Hit and run caught on my home camera today


    Hit and run caught on my home camera today

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Home security system without IOT

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 02:08 PM PDT

    My wife and I are buying our first house and I want a home security system. My wife is reasonably resistant to the internet of things and does not want a security system that is IOT.

    What are some good home security companies or products you all would recommend that don't have any IOT functions? I've always lived in apartments and never had a home security system before, so I'm new to this.

    Home is a rowhouse in Baltimore. 1,200 Sq ft, two entrances, good neighborhood so I'm not looking to turn it into Fort Knox necessarily.

    (I did Google it, but didn't get super helpful results. Mostly just IOT security solutions).

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/MrMiner88
    [link] [comments]

    A little overwhelmed by trying to learn about security systems and need a system soon for the house I've just moved into.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:23 PM PDT

    I've just moved into an old house with my family and don't have a security system, and want to get one installed soon. I want:

    1. Rock solid reliability
    2. Focus on protecting the home while we're in it at night -- ability to arm the house, while triggering for door/window entries, glassbreak, etc.
    3. Professionally monitored 24/7
    4. Resistant to intruder techniques like disabling Internet, jamming radio signals, etc.
    5. Professional installation available with the ability to add sensors or equipment like carbon monoxide detectors myself.

    I don't need any smart home integration or camera integration other than cameras designed to trigger the security system (i.e. I don't to see my home while I'm on vacation or anything like that).

    I've tried to learn as much as I can on this forum but all I've been able to figure out is:

    • Don't use Simplisafe/Ring/etc.
    • Don't use ADT
    • Don't use Vivint

    So now I'm trying to figure out how to actually get this done. What I think I need is:

    • A controller panel from a company like Honeywell or Bosch or DSC
    • A monitoring company who will monitor this
    • A bunch of wireless encrypted sensors

    But I'm not sure how to make this happen, or who to call. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any help would be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/toptaptip
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor surveillance camera with floodlights that doesn't require wifi or a smart phone.

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 10:52 PM PDT

    My in-laws neighbourhood has had a lot of car break-ins, and they have been victims before. They would like to have footage in the case their cars are broken into again. They would like an easy to install camera that detects and records motion to an SD card.

    The only solutions I can think of are game cameras. But I think they would prefer a visible camera or one with flood lights that would act as a deterrent. Is there anything of that nature on the market? Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/AbioticLemon
    [link] [comments]

    *24/7* Recording with NVR Recommendation/Second Opinion

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 09:32 PM PDT

    I am getting my own place and I've been interested in getting some kind of surveillance for it. This would be my first surveillance system and I really want to skip over the entry-level, wireless, subscription-based services/cameras.

    I've done a fair amount of research and I am leaning towards an IP PoE system with an NVR but I am not 100% sure what exactly that entails; so I thought I'd post my shopping list and see if any kindhearted soul had the time to give it a once over before I click "Purchase." I'd hate to end up with some expensive hardware that's useless.

    With that said, here's what I've put together. Please let me know if anything is missing or if it something looks like it's missing (almost forgot a PoE switch originally):


    (2) https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect-cameras/products/unifi-video-g3-flex-camera

    (1) https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-protect-nvr/products/unifi-protect-nvr

    (1) https://store.ui.com/collections/routing-switching/products/edgerouter-x?_pos=1&_sid=54f1e7f52&_ss=r


    With this equipment, would I be able to record 24/7? Obviously there are variables such as HDD space that will determine how long any one recording could be, but I'm just looking for someone with some experience in the field to say, "Yes, that would work."

    If I'm missing anything, please tell me. Any wisdom on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/jxmayhem
    [link] [comments]

    Speco Cameras and Recorder

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    I just bought a home and found these Speco Cameras CVC-627B cameras around the house outside

    https://i.imgur.com/04bqJOG.jpg

    There looks to be a single black wire that comes from the camera into the box below it which goes inside the house

    https://i.imgur.com/YJAf6bE.jpg

    In the basement I found this Speco Technologies DVR Recorder which doesn't seem to turn on anymorehttps://i.imgur.com/uYPxFhW.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/hx2GyX4.jpg

    There looks like a 4 channel NVR recorder.

    My Question is how does these Speco Cameras get there power? Is it from the DVR Recorder via that Coax looking black cable? Just trying to see what I can to get this existing system operational.

    Thank You

    submitted by /u/theseizure
    [link] [comments]

    Starting From Scratch on a Security System

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 05:50 PM PDT

    Hi Home Security Folks,

    Just bought a great great great fixer upper. As a result, we are going to be starting from scratch with security systems. I had my car broken in to a few months ago, the salt is fresh on the sound and I want to do this right. I'm not looking for the best of the best, but a solid, good to go system (Think Glock 19 or Toyota Hilux).

    I'm looking to do several door, window, and motion detectors. I'd like to have several integrated cameras, with good night time/ir coverage, remote monitoring, siren, panic button, and at least one control box in the master and near the front door. Digital locks could be nice, but not a deal breaker. Smoke/CO detection would be nice. Two story house built in the early 1900s with a detached garage. It's 2020 so I'd expect app/smart home integration.

    A DIY system like simplisafe seems to be cool, but it feels like it requires a lot of maintenance, and seems to have some vulnerabilities.

    On the other hand, I hate dealing with customer service from big companies, and I get nervous about being locked into a contract with an ADT or Xfinity.

    So with all that in mind, is there a gold standard for where I should start?

    Thanks Everyone.

    submitted by /u/KappaPiSig
    [link] [comments]

    2-way audiio for hikvision cameras?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:58 AM PDT

    Hello everyone. I have some nice Hikvision cameras (DS-2CD2785G0-IZS) that have a 3.5mm input and output for audio. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good all-in-one device that I can use for this. Also, the more weather resistant it is the better. The location it will be installed is by the ocean. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/im4goku
    [link] [comments]

    Why in the USA windows and doors of residential and commercial buildings are not defended by armoured doors, grilles, etc. like it happens in Italy and other European countries?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    What happens if the police respond to a security system alarm and the gate is closed and padlocked?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 06:26 AM PDT

    I have a gate that I manually close and lock with a padlock when away on vacation, but also there are woods leading up to the back yard. Conceivably, someone could walk onto the property through the back woods or even jump the gate and make mischief, triggering my security system. If the police arrive to a locked gate, do they just leave? Do they break the gate? Cut the chain? Jump the fence? It is a farm style fence and gate so easily jump-able (about 4' high). I realize there are many factors such as if they see someone climbing out a window or something, but is there common police protocol for this type of thing?

    submitted by /u/bootsnooper
    [link] [comments]

    Considering monitored service

    Posted: 15 Oct 2020 11:57 AM PDT

    Roughly how much does a system cost from ADP, ADT, Vivint, CPI, Brinks etc?

    One of the websites of the above was advertising up to $400 off...which made me wonder, Gottamighty what does a nice setup cost if they are advertising 400 bucks off?

    I would like at least one outside camera which would film the driveway, maybe a door camera for the front door. I have 3 doors: front, back and the door inside the garage. 8-10 windows on the first level. I don't really care about home automation unless it happened to be included/free with the control panel.

    Am I looking at a price tag that has a comma in it just to get started? ...and then a monthly monitoring fee obviously. I was under the impression that most of the equipment was "free" sort of like Dish Network, DirecTV, etc. Am I wrong?

    I want to have a rough idea of what I'm facing before I contact anyone and starting getting a sales pitch. I loathe someone trying to "sell" me something.

    Thanks...

    submitted by /u/EzrasHonor
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment