• Breaking News

    Monday, October 26, 2020

    Home security: Converting from DSC to another security system?

    Home security: Converting from DSC to another security system?


    Converting from DSC to another security system?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but I'm pretty new at all of this, so any resources you can recommend would be appreciated.

    I just bought a new house that is pre-equipped with a DSC security system (I believe it is the ICON keypad), and it already has sensors installed into the doors, windows, etc. I was considering upgrading the keypad to something with a bit more functionality, but would there be any way to use the sensors that are already installed? Or would I need to get new sensors?

    TYIA.

    submitted by /u/MisterBinks
    [link] [comments]

    "Low battery" events when installing second keypad

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    I am installing a second keypad (ATP1000) on my Concord4 alarm system. The installation instructions say to disconnect power and backup battery before doing this. Makes sense. Of course this makes the panel send a "Low battary" message to Brinks, whose computer then calls me. I could ignore this. Or should I put my account into "test" mode through their web interface? Or what?

    When they originally built the house, they did run 4-conductor wire from the panel to the bedroom box where I am putting in the new keypad, but they did not actually connect those wires at the Concord4 end. So I need to be messing with that for a bit.

    The Concord 4 has a wireless modem and I can hear it clicking as though it was using pulse dialling. (WTF?)

    submitted by /u/greenbluewhite
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for camera systems - wireless

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 02:28 PM PDT

    Currently we have ~6 Arlo's (original and Pro 1 versions), and ~4 nest (1 outdoor, doorbell, and indoor). The challenge with this having two different systems and duplicate notifications. The Arlo's are showing their technical age (miss a lot of motion events, etc.). We prefer the CVR of Nest and their notification system is pretty good, but it's too much bandwidth up to move everything to nest. I've also found the resolution on the nest cam isn't great coving the driveway (people / cars are low quality).

    I've got the coverage I want around the house (we could reduce the total number of cams as well), it's the usability is a pain at this point. We've looked at the option of running cat5 to various points around the exterior and it is not an option (within reason). So any solution will need to be wireless. Most places I can get power to, currently a few are better served with battery - but could debate moving those.

    I like the plug and play usability of a consumer product like Nest/Arlo, but happy to look at more complex solutions. Ideally I'd find a solution that would record CRV locally but accessible anywhere and would provide motion / people alerts. Are any other solutions coming to mind?

    submitted by /u/jalm1
    [link] [comments]

    Changing the monitoring of our system

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    We have a wireless security system with 2GIG panel. We use a local monitoring company that installed the system. Now realizing it is pretty expensive at ~$55/mo (there is no hardware being included). The interface is through alarm.com. The security system works fine and it's installed. We actually dont use it very often. They need to update the radio from a 3g to LTE radio, and that outflow plus the monitoring fee is giving me pause on keeping with this system.

    1) Based on sub, it looks like we could get someone else to monitor at a lower rate (not exactly sure how to make that work?)

    2) We could link Alarm.com into homekit with HOOBS to integrate arming/disarming into existing routines. Does this work for others?

    submitted by /u/jalm1
    [link] [comments]

    Senior Design Student Needing Home Security System Market Research

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    Hey, I'm Hunter. I'm a Senior Industrial Design student, inquiring about market research regarding home security systems for one of my senior projects. I'm trying to design a new, innovative system and I need your help to gauge the direction this consumer product takes!

    https://forms.gle/MimKxQVHWaqNq7ST7

    submitted by /u/hunterxahlberg
    [link] [comments]

    wired & wireless security system with home server?

    Posted: 25 Oct 2020 09:20 AM PDT

    We are looking to put together a home security system with no cloud. Almost every place we want to put a security camera is close to a wired rj45 outlet as well as power. We also have a large home xeon 20 core server with tier'd storage (50tb). I'm looking to put together an NVR camera system with some wireless sensors for things like windows and doors.

    Are there any open source security system software to have like a dashboard where I can see everything and that can send alerts if something goes off? Any recommendations on builds and hardware?

    submitted by /u/allenasm
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment