• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 15, 2020

    Home security: Outdoor home security Cameras

    Home security: Outdoor home security Cameras


    Outdoor home security Cameras

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 02:14 PM PDT

    Hi, we've had a couple of creepy incidents in the last few months, including one just this afternoon I filed a police report on. so I'm looking into getting a couple of cameras for the back yard. Perhaps a doorbell/camera. (have a big scary looking dog, but I want to see what's outside, and possibly record an intruder)

    I saw a set of two cameras and a doorbell made by Arlo at Costco. Are these any good? We won't be able to hard wire anything. Our house is also pretty small. Plus it seems you can get solar panels for the cameras.

    The doorbell camera could see the entire front, but the back of the house is pretty weird, kind of L shaped and we have a woods behind us so probably would need two cameras on each side.

    No idea where to start on this.

    submitted by /u/swamptribe
    [link] [comments]

    Help with an unconventional camera!

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 11:09 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone,

    I'm looking for a camera that matches the following criteria:

    Ultra High Res, Optical Zoom, Compact, Live feed

    Something like this maybe?: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340458-REG/marshall_electronics_cv350_10xb_compact_10x_full_hd.html

    I believe someone has been coming into my office and using my computer. I need to surveil the computer screen, in order to find out what he/she has been doing on it. My goal is to be able to zoom in on the screen so that I can see/read what is being done. The camera needs to be compact enough so that I can hide it fairly easily.

    I have found plenty of cameras like the one in the link above, but I'm not sure which are good/not good. And unlike conventional I/security cameras, these don't have many reviewers. Any recommendations/insight would be very much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/thethirdtide
    [link] [comments]

    Is 19 ft from ground level too high for a 4mp camera?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    Hello,

    When wiring my cameras, I put my cameras about 18-19 ft above ground level. The highest point of my house is about 26 ft. I put the cameras that high because I wanted to run the wires through the attic. This would expose only a few inches of wire.

    So far, I haven't had any problems but I'm afraid that if I do in the future, I wouldn't be able to capture faces.

    Note that there are two cameras like this and they are both backyard and side yard cameras, with the side yard one being the side with no gate. Other than that, I have cameras at the front and side yard with the gate about 7-8 feet up.

    Should I move my two cameras that are 18-19 ft up a little lower... like maybe like down to 12 ft or something? The reason I made the backyard cameras so high up is because of laziness but also my backyard is pretty big with lots of vegetation for people to hide in, so I wanted something high up to get a "sky view". Same with with side yard with no gate. Its deep.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/GarageRich
    [link] [comments]

    Top Home Alarms and Sirens? Do you have Recomendations?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    We are looking at Home alarm and control systems, does anyone have experience with Insteon alarms? How are the motion sensors? https://www.smarthome.com/collections/insteon

    Looking for loud motion activated alarms primarily please

    submitted by /u/BriefIce
    [link] [comments]

    Video Enhancer

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 01:28 PM PDT

    Just wondered if someone could recommend a good video enhancement program? Freeware would be nice. I have some nighttime footage of someone stealing something out of my yard, but it's grainy and low frame rate. Not sure much can be done to improve it, but thought I'd ask. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/physical_kid
    [link] [comments]

    HIKVISION NVR Motion settings

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    I'm looking through the manual and doing research online just out of curiosity. But just thought I'd ask on here to get a couple of other responses, maybe learn something new.

    On the HIKVISION NVRs, the one I'm currently working on is a DS-7600 series (specifically the DS-7604NI-Q1/4P), can you set up the play back to show you time stamps for motion and still record 24/7? I'm assuming you set up motion alarms and they will show the time stamp on the playback and still record continuously? Like I said, I'm still doing my own research just thought I'd throw the question on here to possibly learn other new things.

    submitted by /u/ItsZaar
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone installed a Frontpoint system in an old house, a large house or both?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    Hi, r/homesecurity... I could use your thoughts:

    I am in the US and shopping for a (preferably) DIY security system with monitoring that provides a certificate for insurance. Frontpoint looks perfect but I'm concerned about its wireless range.

    The house is a custom designed 1948 colonial. The walls are plaster & lathe with metal diamond mesh. The house also has a complex air handling system and was built with six bathrooms, so lots of piping and ducts in the walls, all metal. Getting reliable WiFi throughout the house was a challenge.

    Questions:

    1. Anyone have any views on the range or signal strength of the Frontpoint hub & sensors? Would particularly like to hear if people had range problems and found a solution.
    2. Is there any way to use two hubs or boost the signal if it turns out to be insufficient? I called Frontpoint and they didn't know of a way to do so.
    3. While on the phone, the agent mentioned they have long range sensors but these do not appear on their website; he has to add them. Anyone know of any other "hidden" items?
    4. How easy is it to add hardware from third party vendors?
    submitted by /u/Malapple
    [link] [comments]

    Spam/flooding Internet "tems of use"

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 04:09 PM PDT

    I changed my dchp settings recently in my router and my usual ip address to forward snapshots from my dvr to my email. My Isp marked camera emails as spam/flooding my isp's server. My internet might get shut off because I am using my home security and they emailed to say I am breaking their terms of service. I don't see anyway around it. Any ideas to keep my cameras up? Thank you.

    submitted by /u/katreddit66
    [link] [comments]

    Can ADT zones be re-wired?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 06:35 AM PDT

    I would be interested in freeing up a zone on my old ADT system. The panel has capacity for 8 zones, and all 8 are used up. Two zones are both for motion sensors - though they are of different type of sensor somehow, per documentation. Could I take the wiring from zone 7 and reconnect it to zone 6 - combining these two zones into one? Would I need to reprogram the system through the keypad?

    submitted by /u/ToolManJay
    [link] [comments]

    Trail cams that connect to your home wifi?

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 12:15 PM PDT

    Hey all. I'm trying to find some affordable options for outdoor home security without spending $500 on a camera. In my experiences, the problem you have with cheap Chinese cameras that you see littered across Amazon is that despite being advertised as 4k, they all have a low megapixel count. You try to zoom into a picture to get better clarity and everything is blown out to hell.

    I thought that getting a trail cam might be a good option because those can tend to blend to an environment a lot better than a bullet camera can, especially if you're wanting to put the camera closest to locations where you want the best clarity. It's amazing to me that wifi security cameras that are in the sub-$200 range all have garbage megapixel cameras whereas trail cams with wifi that are $100 have really high megapixel ratings, like 20-30MP. The problem with these "wifi" cameras is that it's only for allowing your phone to connect to the camera wirelessly, so if I wanted to monitor a location remotely, it's looking like my only option for the trail cam route would be a cellular one... but I really don't want to have to pay a separate phone bill just for this.

    All that being said, are any of you familiar with a trail cam that can connect to your home wifi to act more as a security cam than a trail cam? The idea being that I don't want to have to be in close proximity to the cam to view footage if an emergency comes up.

    submitted by /u/SmokeGSU
    [link] [comments]

    So not tech savvy... But I need cameras quickly.

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 07:28 AM PDT

    Sorry if this is not well written. I am pretty shook up. I really need to set up some outdoor surveillance quickly. The sooner the better. I also only have $200 to spend (or less).

    The person I am watching for is way more tech savvy than me (or has a friend who is) and has hacked the camera's in his recent home (after he was made to leave). He would be pretty easy to recognize on a camera.

    As for requirements, I am also interested in night vision and audio being recorded. I kinda need to watch 3 places to be secure. I have a place to plug in one or two cameras but one would need to be battery operated. I would prefer no batteries but will settle if needed. Also how to best know if and when he shows up? I would like to know right away if possible.

    Where is the best place to head for a deal and what should I really take into consideration? All answers are appreciated and welcomed!

    submitted by /u/Anon4securityplease
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment