• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 30, 2020

    Home security: New house: looking for an extensible security system and automation framework and...

    Home security: New house: looking for an extensible security system and automation framework and...


    New house: looking for an extensible security system and automation framework and...

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Hello all:

    I've been researching both DIY and all-in-one services for a house we're moving into, and I can't seem to find one that 'checks all of the boxes'. Given the list I've compiled, here are my requirements after checking out the landscape.

    Requirements:

    • Non-Proprietary Door Cam (PoE, most likely - maybe solar)

    • Non-Proprietary Outdoor Cams (PoE, most likely - maybe solar)

    • Multiple connection protocols (this is fluid if the protocol is a common one)

    • Compatibility with things like Alexa, Siri, Google (I have yet to decide what home automation methodology we'll use. Definitely thermostats, probably household lighting in the future.)

    • Motion sensors outside, triggering lights

    • Mobile app

    • Touchscreen panel inside

    • Front door locks/keypads

    • Window alarms, smoke, and water sensors are of lesser concern.

    • Potential for monitoring

    • No Landline

    • Local Installers. This would include running cable and such. I can take it from there with upgrades and such, but I'd rather start from a base level.

    Thanks all!

    submitted by /u/avguru1
    [link] [comments]

    I’m looking for outdoor cameras, wireless that I don’t have to use cloud with, I’d prefer alarm/voice functions too.. hook up to the iPhone

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:23 PM PDT

    I've found a lot of people are using the wyze cameras but I can't find any that are wireless ! Not interested in ring because I've had a bad experience with that... people hacked it

    submitted by /u/typewunderfull
    [link] [comments]

    Is there an app for android that would let me cast my cameras to my tv with a chromecast?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    First off I don't know too much about this stuff, my dad contacted someone to install the cameras, they work fine but probably was way overpriced for around $400.

    The camera says that they're Msonic Vision 2.0 megapixel Turbo HD AHD camera, model KDM-5703G, there are 3 cameras.

    The DVR is a Prismatic PRM-7508HD of 8 channels, I connect to it on my phone through XMEye with a QR code.

    So i was wondering if there's an app that would let me connect to the DVR the same way as XMEye and then cast the cameras to my tv, or i can only use that app for this specific DVR? Or if it's not possible is there a better app that i can use? because when i lock my phone while using XMEye and then unlock it again the app will try to buffer the video for about a minute or so, it'd be better to just close and open again the app and that's kind of annoying, also every time that i open the app i have to log in, select my device and then select a camera.

    Also is it possible to use a camera of an old laptop and connect it to the DVR? like in this video, or would it be better to use an old laptop or a raspberry pi for that?

    submitted by /u/Utinnni
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for wireless cameras that are hard wired for power.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:23 PM PDT

    Like the title suggest have a hard time finding what I'm looking for, looking for a camera that is wireless to the base or is baseless but it has a way to hard wire the power for each camera. I'm looking to install this in my building for each floor. I don't want someone to just unplug it.

    submitted by /u/PokemonRex
    [link] [comments]

    Emtek door keypad compatibility with Qolsys IQ Panel 2

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    All- new construction going on, and will be using a Qolsys IQ Panel 2. I'm trying to see if I can use an Emtek lock. It's not on the Qolsys compatibility list. There's 1 August deadbolt on the list (though not on the alarm.com list). some of the Emteks are "powered by" August, but with the help of an August Connect Wi-Fi Bridge. I might be reaching here- has anyone successfully got a newer Emtek lock hooked up to a Qolsys panel (with native alarm.com functionality)?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/texas_max
    [link] [comments]

    Best AI camera with people and vehicle detection

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:21 AM PDT

    Looking for a AI camera system, ideally cloud based with people and vehicle detection, not motion based alerts

    NEST IQ / Verkada / Rhoombus / HIkVision seem to have this feature, I'm leaning towards Rhoombus - does anyone else have any suggestions ?

    submitted by /u/lenovoguy
    [link] [comments]

    New house with a comprehensive ADT system already installed - do I reactivate it?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:00 PM PDT

    I just moved into my first home and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the security system. I've never had one before (always rented) and I probably wouldn't have even thought about it, but the house already has a very comprehensive ADT system installed (glass break detectors in every room, motion sensors, door/window sensors everywhere, etc.). So, even though my town is super safe (it's a wealthy town with essentially no crime and only 1 burglary per 1,000 people), I figured I should look into activating the system.

    So, I had ADT come out to do an estimate and the guy seemed shocked that the previous homeowner had gotten so many sensors. He literally wouldn't shut up about it, every room we entered he was commenting on how they went the distance on it, and so on. Like, window sensors three stories up the side of the house (which he said was unnecessary). He said they probably spent $10k+ on it, and his recommendation was that I basically just activate it without adding anything new. He even said that I don't need to activate all the sensors since some of them are overkill. He said that it would cost about $55 a month or something like that. So, they're coming out to install/activate in a few weeks. Seemed straight forward enough to me.

    But then I found his sub and now I'm second guessing this decision, given the reputation that ADT seems to have. I do suspect that they'll try to upsell me (I have 5 ADT smoke detectors and the guy said that I should replace them for $100 each, but I "can decide at the time of activation/installation"), but if I just stick with what I have already and pay $55 per month then can I really go wrong? It's also an older system I think, no touch screen panels and all that, but it is wireless.

    submitted by /u/NewPrivatePractice
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment