• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 29, 2020

    Home Improvement: Have I destroyed a brand new washing machine?

    Home Improvement: Have I destroyed a brand new washing machine?


    Have I destroyed a brand new washing machine?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 07:33 AM PDT

    Hello folks,

    I recently bought a house & a brand new LG washing machine. Last evening a towel soaked in spilled Thompson's WaterSeal (https://www.thompsonswaterseal.com/home) got thrown in with a load of other towels, the washing machine was run, and now the whole interior of the washing machine is covered in a layer of extremely sticky goo. Googling this problem reveals that I am the first person to be dumb enough to have this specific issue. Further googling suggests that running paint thinner through my washing machine will only serve to destroy the seals and hoses. I plan on running a few cycles with detergent and hoping for the best. Would welcome other ideas to save this washing machine from an untimely death. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/WatercressAdvanced
    [link] [comments]

    What's your longest-delayed simple project?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 11:57 AM PDT

    I don't mean "remodel the basement into a game room and wet bar," or even "paint the spare bedroom." I mean a small, simple thing that you have the supplies for, it'll be quick and easy, you plan to do it...and it just never gets done.

    Here's mine: my front door deadbolt is wonky so I bought a re-keyable one to replace it - 11 years ago. It's sitting on a shelf in my garage and I see it every time I come into the house. And I don't even feel bad about it!

    submitted by /u/theWacoKidRidesAgain
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor refusing to give me countertop remnant

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:45 PM PDT

    I recently had my kitchen countertop swapped out from 80s white tile to quartz countertop. Of the small square island top I used (36x36), I had to buy a full island prefab of 36x108, of which I was going to use the 36x72 piece as possible island dining table extension top later.

    My contractor initially said I'd be paying for the whole prefab thing since they don't just sell 36x36, and I'd have my leftover, but now he's saying he won't give me my leftover piece. He did say in the beginning that the ENTIRE piece will be mine (invoice indicates I paid for the full prefab slab), but he goes to say that his job was for my wall countertop and 36x36 island top, so he won't be delivering or handling the left over piece. He says this is the industry standard.

    I was worried about this from the very beginning so I made sure I have his confirmation in writing, but he's insistent that no one delivers that big of a leftover piece without charging extra for handling and that he would have quoted me higher price to begin with if I wanted it...

    My assumption was that they just give you the pieces regardless of whether I verbalize it or not (which I did)

    Is this a normal practice in the industry?

    submitted by /u/xkxwrdbboixkx
    [link] [comments]

    Would you bother priming a post-it note sized area of joint compound

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 05:36 PM PDT

    I filled in a small dime-sized hole in the wall with premixed joint compound and sanded smooth. I know you typically prime joint compound to seal it and cause it to not drink up so much paint, which could make the wall splotchy. My question is is it even worth it for this small area and just go over it twice with paint (I'm used a good single coat cover paint - Behr Marquee).

    submitted by /u/possumtree
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Door Springs Rapidly Weakening

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:35 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I've been working on replacing the tension springs for my 2 car garage door the past few days. I originally got the wrong sized springs and learned the hard way why the springs have to be the right length.

    Fast forward to today, I got the correct size springs in, the exact size of the previous ones. I installed them, tightening them the same number of turns as the original springs, and everything seemed to be working all right. That was until a few hours later when suddenly the springs didn't seem to have much force anymore and I was hardly able to lift the door. Alright, so I tightened the springs another few turns and it seemed to be back to where it was. But yet again after another few hours the springs seem to have lost some of their strength.

    What is going on? I did buy relatively inexpensive springs, where these ones just made out of poor material and can't hold their shape? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/Haxses
    [link] [comments]

    PAT vs Drill & Tapcons

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    Hanging a threaded rod from a concrete ceiling in a residential space. Drilling takes longer and is more disruptive than a few pops from a Ramset in my opinion. I've also heard the silenced newer trigger models are pretty quiet.

    However, we're talking concrete that's around 100 years old in a converted warehouse.

    Would a heavy shot in a Ramset even be able to penetrate the concrete? Would I end up with a crumbled mess?

    For a comparison it took the electriction 4 hours to drill 12x 1/4" holes to hang the conduit.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/mattmmax
    [link] [comments]

    How difficult is it to install my own privacy fence?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:40 PM PDT

    Hello! My So is very frugal so we've been shopping around for years for fencing companies to put up or fence. We've waited so long that both or neighbors have fences up so now we only need to pay for the back wall. He's always complaining about the price and so I just want to install it ourselves . However he is always complains that he doesn't trust that it won't come out crappy if we do.

    So my question is how difficult is it and does anyone have recommended on how to show him we can do it ourselves? If he didn't want the exit centered we'd only need at most 4 to 6 panels.

    submitted by /u/DisneySweetheart
    [link] [comments]

    Should shower tile grout have a clear silicon seal?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    Our shower is a constant struggle fighting mold growing in our grout. It is just bare grout that has a color that complements our tile. Should there have been a sealant put on top of the grout to discourage mold growth?

    submitted by /u/bcardarella
    [link] [comments]

    Who decided Americans have too much color in their lives?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:40 PM PDT

    If you're planning a renovation in order to sell your house, you might steer clear of this new trend toward reproducing the first part of The Wizard of Oz.

    Looking for a new house online, I keep being surprised by interior shots that at first glance appear to be black and white. But they aren't. It's just very very grayscale decorating. E.g, a kitchen with gray laminate plank flooring, white woodwork, pale gray blinds, black counters, white cabinets, and stainless steel appliances.

    No doubt the cabinets hold white porcelain serveware and black stoneware dishes; the pantry, only stainless steel bins and glass jars of white rice and black beans. Dinner is a charred steak and white asparagus now that the decorator's spouse had to give up their Cholula for mayonnaise.

    Is this what the recent popularity of stainless steel appliances has brought us to? I find these rooms all very depressing. No way can I picture trying to live in such a gloomy space.

    submitted by /u/MagsWags2020
    [link] [comments]

    Replacing three-prong outlets with new deco ones. Old house does not have ground wire. Did the previous owners wire the old ones properly?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 12:29 PM PDT

    With no ground wire running from the breaker, this is how they grounded it. If so, I'll do the same for my new ones. Does this work? Is it safe? If not, what is the best way of grounding my new outlets?

    https://imgur.com/a/yXI2zIO

    submitted by /u/noondi34
    [link] [comments]

    Drain or sewer cleaning

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    In a small 1950’s house. There’s a pipe that the washer drained into. Water suddenly started to back up. So I tried to see if I could clear any obstruction with a hose attachment that inflated to seal the pipe then forces water forward...

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:25 PM PDT

    Suddenly there's a stream of water pouring down the roof and into the gutters. Maybe a backup diversion. I have no idea what happened. I would appreciate any ideas on things to check on or try to unblock the pipe. Or even to know what happened. I was not expecting the roof! Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/PinkSteven
    [link] [comments]

    How can I cover the transition between the white ceiling and an eggshell-colored wall that's a bad paint job?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 06:11 AM PDT

    Pictures.

    What I labeled 'ugly wall' in the first pic used to be a red wall that I painted over in white about 10 years ago. Because I was young and stupid, and the end result LOOKED pure white before it fully dried, I thought it was fine. As you can see, it dried to more of an eggshell white, plus it's irregular and just kinda ugly.

    As I'm moving out soon and the wall will be painted white at that point anyway, I'm not doing it now. I'm just looking for a solution regarding something I can put right on the border between the ugly wall and the pure white ceiling, so that the transition isn't so glaringly ugly.

    All ideas are welcome (including ideas for other subreddits where I can ask). Sorry for any English mistakes.

    submitted by /u/LilyMarie90
    [link] [comments]

    Door doesn’t seal at top and bottom

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. I have a kitchen door that doesn't seem to create a seal when closed, there's a bit of space at the bottom and the top where I've witnessed some insects crawl and fly through (mosquitos, flies, and this evening a bee).

    I'm going to get a door draft stopper for the bottom of the door, but is there anything I can do create a better seal at the top of the door? Door draft stoppers upside down?

    Thanks so much for any insight!

    submitted by /u/coldcherrysoup
    [link] [comments]

    Need help with lighting

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:43 PM PDT

    Hello everyone, me and my family of 3 just moved into the second floor of a house with 3 bedroom. We have begun painting and moving things around to make it feel like home. The one big issue where I hit a wall was the light. All of the bedrooms do not have lights that come through the ceiling. The only way to have a light source in them is though a wall outlet. I came here today to ask if anyone could help with a solution. I've been rattling my head on what to do. I'm fine with wall outlets but I'd like decent ones or is there another option.

    Thank you for the help in advanced.

    submitted by /u/ariel22hilton
    [link] [comments]

    Materials costs are pretty intense, eh?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 03:12 PM PDT

    Talked to a guy today about rebuilding my deck and he advised waiting to 2021 since materials have jumped fourfold in a lot of cases. My assumption is that pandemic and hurricane season have conspired to create this situation. Is this nationwide in the US? For those with more experience in these things, is it safe to assume that winter brings somewhat lower materials prices? I'm not super price sensitive on the project, but if waiting a few months can save me a few thousand, I'm certainly not opposed to it.

    submitted by /u/classycatman
    [link] [comments]

    Need help attaching heavy, oddly-shaped mirror to dresser

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:48 PM PDT

    See pictures of what I'm describing here

    Posting here because all the tips I find online are for much simpler situations. I want to attach a mirror to a dresser, but because of some quirks with both, I'm not sure if it's possible. If it is, any tips for techniques, tools, and materials needed would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer to just attach the mirror to the dresser and not to the wall if possible, but I'm open to anything.

    The mirror is really heavy (if I had to guess it's probably almost 100 lbs, maybe more). It's shaped like a truncated circle (circular except flat side closer at the bottom) and is 42" tall and 47" wide. The glass doesn't take up the whole shape, it ends where the diagonal wooden pieces start. The glass and wooden pieces are both backed by 1" thick wood behind. There are three screws on each side following the outer curve inserted from the backing into the diagonal wooden pieces. The glass is held against the wooden backing by fitting into the wooden pieces.

    The dresser is 30"H x 60"W x 19"D. It has what feels like plywood backing that's about 1/5" thick. There's a lip that sticks out all around the top of the dresser by about 1/2", so the back isn't totally flat.

    Sorry again if I'm describing this poorly but hopefully the pictures help clarify this. Let me know if there's anything else I can explain.

    submitted by /u/sleepdemonxxx
    [link] [comments]

    Sliding glass door ridiculously hard to open/close.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 04:39 PM PDT

    Here's a few pictures: https://imgur.com/a/mLjW3zD and one more

    We bought this house a few years ago. It's made in 2012. The door has always been like this since we moved in, but I just recently broke off the handle lol! How do I go about making this slide much easier? Adjusting the two screws on the bottom does absolutely nothing.

    Do I just spray down the track? It's so hard to roll, I almost feel like the rollers or whatever is underneath the door are just super screwed up.

    submitted by /u/-NotEnoughVespeneGas
    [link] [comments]

    New Construction - Upgrade options over MI Windows.

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 08:19 AM PDT

    My new home is spec'd for MI 3500 series windows (all white) and we are trying to assess what the best upgrade option would be. We want all black windows which seems to be driving up the cost and decreasing selections somewhat. Builder came back with the following options, anyone have thoughts?

    1. Marvin integrity all black ~$11k upgrade

    2. Vector (not sure what model) ~$9k

    3. Andersen 100 ~7k

    The MI windows do have black outside/white inside option as an upgrade. I feel like if I'm gonna upgrade then I might as well pay more for a better window too.

    I'm in Minnesota if that matters.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/nguye569
    [link] [comments]

    There's a big storm drain in my driveway and we recently went from rocks to asphalt, so now there's a big dip (pothole-like) where the storm drain sits uncovered. Is there anyway to make the driveway flat again?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:13 PM PDT

    Could the asphalt guys have covered the storm drain?

    submitted by /u/UnclutchCurry
    [link] [comments]

    trying to wall mount monitors

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 10:12 PM PDT

    trying to mount monitors

    hey guys i'm trying to mount a double monitor, and 55 inch tv to my drywall but i have what it seems as no studs in this wall. there are also no electrical wires. i checked reddit for best toggle anchors but they are all 2 3 years old and i'm just wondering if anyone has been in this situation, or can remedy it? what's the best dry wall anchor toggle that i can use for wall mounting and not have to worry about my screens falling overnight? thanks !

    submitted by /u/tisimu7
    [link] [comments]

    How should I box these off?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    I've got these ugly pipes sitting on the foundation ledge of our guest bedroom. (black circulates refrigerant for solar water heater, gray I think is power for my furnace, and white is drain for water softener) I'd like to box them off so we (and our guests) don't have to stare at them, but they come up higher than the handles for the windows. What would be the best way to box this off so that it looks ok and I can still open my window?

    https://imgur.com/a/fOmDCGI

    submitted by /u/TheReformedBadger
    [link] [comments]

    Does B-Vent always go to the roof? (Changing water heater to tankless)

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 09:57 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    Changing my water heater from tank to tankless, I picked up a Noritz EZTR75 kit that allows you to use existing b-vent, however you have to run this inner tube through the bvent all the way to where it terminates and then put a cap on it. My house is a two story home and extremely tall and with a tile roof. I have never been up there. To be quite frank, I dont know if my b-vent terminates at the roof or if it shares an exhaust vent with my dryer which is directly above the water heater now (There is outlet there that always smells like dryer sheets). So i suppose my question is, is it safe to assume that b-vent always goes to the ceiling and I just need to figure out how to get up there?

    submitted by /u/ideal2545
    [link] [comments]

    Where is fresh air supposed to come into my house?

    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 01:09 PM PDT

    I have two bathroom exhaust fans, a range exhaust fan, and a clothes dryer all pulling air out of my house, so where is the replacement air supposed to be coming in? The more work I do to seal up my windows and doors the more I end up smelling either the crawlspace or the attic. Shouldn't there be a more intentional way to let in fresh air than just having it pulled in through cracks and crevices?

    submitted by /u/zrpurser
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment