• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 1, 2020

    Home security: I've just been informed that people around my neighborhood are using some kind of remote device to break into cars. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

    Home security: I've just been informed that people around my neighborhood are using some kind of remote device to break into cars. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?


    I've just been informed that people around my neighborhood are using some kind of remote device to break into cars. Is there any way I can prevent this from happening?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 12:17 AM PDT

    I'm not sure exactly how it works, I've only seen it on the Ring cams of people on my street. It looks like they have a little device that when pointed at the car, unlocks the door and overrides the alarm. As far as I know it's never happened to me, but I'd like to be able to prevent it from happening.

    What exactly is this device, and what can I do about it?

    Edit: I don't have keyless entry or keyless start, but I do have a key fob that unlocks the doors. It's a 2009 Subaru. Also, I'm not particularly worried about the car being stolen as the KBB value is less than $2k and it has several bugs (that are more like features to me, but wouldn't be for anyone else) that would make it not ideal for people trying to steal a car to sell, I'm more worried about people going through the car.

    submitted by /u/Repulsive-Divide
    [link] [comments]

    Best CCTV System for tech savvy

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:55 AM PDT

    Straight to the point, i'm looking for a CCTV/ Home monitoring system for the tech savvy. i don't mind a diy system, i will be running a home server so would prefer if it could be connected to that. i do not want any subscription based systems. i want to start with around 8 cameras and have the option to expand. bonus points if i can set relays to be triggered and add other sensors. also i'm UK based. whats everyone else using? in the past i've used systems such as Swann and Lorex. just looking for something with more customisation. Thanks

    submitted by /u/JoshuaLeeAtlas
    [link] [comments]

    New Home Build Pre-Wire Appointment

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Long time lurker after getting suckered into a big box security system contract. Building a new home and am trying to consider what my home defense will look like. We have our design / pre-wire appointment next week, so trying to get this figured out. I'm thinking about doing AlarmGrid Honeywell Lyric HomeKit system after closing. Builder will only install hardwire home security options if I sign a contract with Brinks (their home security sponsor).

    Cat6 lines can be run at $125/outlet. Laundry room will have a 30" wiring panel. I am planning to run Cat6 to all bedrooms, loft, sunroom, garage, and doorbell area for PoE doorbell cam. At $125 per, is it worth having them prewire exterior corners for PoE cameras? If I do this, they will go ahead and run those Cat6 lines for cameras anywhere I want instead of the wiring panel in laundry room.

    Is there anything else I should think about regarding home defense and this pre-wire appointment?

    I've also posted a thread in r/Homebuilding and would love input there as well on other electrical and low voltage options: https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebuilding/comments/ikrt4v/upcoming_design_appt_advice_on_electrical_and_low/

    TIA!

    submitted by /u/workinboy
    [link] [comments]

    7 Best Security Door Stopper Reviews | Top Picks Of 2020

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    Wireless camera plan B

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    I have a Swann NVR with several Poe cameras installed. It works ok.

    I need to add a couple more cameras. Trying to find out if I can add a wireless camera, even a Swann product, has proven impossible to do. Swann is no help.

    The main camera I want to add will be about 300' from my wifi/NVR. So even adding another like wired camera is probably not possible at that distance.

    I will use solar to power my camera and I will use a wifi bridge (have one and it works great) to handle the distance issue.

    The problem I am facing after hours and hours and hours of looking is that while I have resigned to not being to integrate a new wireless camera into my existing Swann NVR, there are other considerations.

    I want to be able to view live video on my PC, just like I do with my current NVR. I am not remotely interested in any cloud solution. The cameras that support cloud/SD leave me with a lot of questions about how/when you can view the video on the SD card.

    Does someone make a camera/software that:

    Has PIR motion trigger recording to SD but provides a PC-viewable live feed 24/7?

    Has a PC app to view the contents of the SD card IN THE CAMERA whenever desired?

    I've tried to narrow this question down as best I can. Thanks for any advice you may have.

    submitted by /u/gizmozed
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment