• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 9, 2020

    Home Improvement: We built our own patio furniture when we couldn't find anything we liked... it was easy!

    Home Improvement: We built our own patio furniture when we couldn't find anything we liked... it was easy!


    We built our own patio furniture when we couldn't find anything we liked... it was easy!

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 04:30 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/8eg9Oaz

    As some of you know may know, everyone and their mom who's been stuck at home during the last 6 month is spending time and effort on home improvement. Part of our plans were to improve and make better use of our small side yard patio. Unfortunately, we either didn't like furniture that was available, or what we liked (and what fit into our space) was just too expensive. So we decided to build our furniture ourselves using regular framing lumber and simple plans we found online. It definitely took a while, but we are happy with the results. It cost us around $600, with more than half of that going towards the cushions.

    We couldn't find any cedar at reasonable prices and didn't like the look of treated lumber for furniture, so we used regular untreated pine. We did at least 2 coats of deck waterproofing stain and topped it with a couple of cans of "gloss" 2x Rustoleum spray. We are doubling that with a sail shade (extra UV protection) and a giant patio furniture cover. We also intend to bring the whole set indoor during winters. Hoping it'll last!

    EDIT: We used Ana White's "Modern Comfort" plans for the couch and chairs. The tables were a bit more custom, but we used lots of what we saw here.

    submitted by /u/h2d2
    [link] [comments]

    I have a cellar room off the side of my basement (only lawn above it). Can I just seal it off with cinderblock? It leaks water when it rains.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    The room is only accessible through the basement bedroom through a tiny door (2'x3'). It is maybe three feet below the lawn and if it rains really hard for awhile, some water will leak through the ceiling in it (it seeps through the concrete). I have no use for the room and want the cheapest solution to safely solve the leaking issue. Can I just seal off the room with a block wall connected to the rest of the block foundation? If so, what kind of contractor would I want to talk to?

    submitted by /u/gwarster
    [link] [comments]

    Normal for contractor to stamp his business logo into my sidewalk?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 04:42 PM PDT

    Hey all -

    I had some extensive concrete work done and when it was done, I went out and looked at it to see he had stamped his company logo and phone number front and center into my sidewalk right in front of my house. Nowhere in the contract is this stated. I'm pissed but is it normal? Doesn't even seem legal to me, I had no idea they'd be advertising forever for free on my property without my permission.

    Also, how do they fix it? Will they have to tear it out or can they skim coat it?

    PA, USA if it matters.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/FeoWalcot
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor left pressure washer marks on deck near railing and swears they will disappear once transparent stain is put on...

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 10:16 AM PDT

    How full of bs is this person? They quoted me and said experienced people will come do it but then they left and the person who is doing it now is saying its their first day. I called the company and they said that its to be expected and that it will disappear under the stain...

    Edit: I confronted the contractor when they came back and they are still working on redoing it. They are pressure washing closer now so im sure that will create some furry wood but they said they would sand it. Glad i confronted them about it.

    submitted by /u/BelgianBillie
    [link] [comments]

    Soundproofing ideas

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 10:04 AM PDT

    Hi all, we have a 2 floor apartment with an open concept (loft style) staircase connecting them.

    Pics: https://imgur.com/a/qzvjttz

    We are going to be using the lower floor for home school and need to soundproof the top floor for the grown ups to work upstairs without noise transferring in either direction during conference calls.

    We're planning to build a wall and door on the lower level (studs, drywall, insulation) to close off the space... See pics for a "rendering".

    Wanted to see what else the smart people of this subreddit would recommend we consider to minimize the noise traveling between the floors as we do the renovation?

    Thanks in advance 🙌

    submitted by /u/arcticfern9
    [link] [comments]

    Do kitchens need to be totally remodelled after a certain age?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 02:07 PM PDT

    I bought a 1967 house a couple years ago and when buying it, I intended to do a full gut remodel of the kitchen. Based on the appearance of the cabinetry and the appliances that were in the kitchen when I bought it, it is likely that the kitchen is from the late 1970s or early 1980s (leaning toward late 1970s). I replaced the dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator but have left the cabinets, formica countertops (they are surprisingly easy to clean and don't get any water spots like the quartz counter I had in my prior house), and whatever electrical and plumbing are behind the walls.

    During quarantine I got used to using the kitchen, decorated it to look homey, and decided that I basically like it and don't feel a need to do a gut remodel of the kitchen any time soon. My question is, is there a reason why you SHOULD do a kitchen remodel when a kitchen gets past a certain age? Does electrical "get old" if it is from the 1970s? Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this.

    submitted by /u/diamondheadhibiscus
    [link] [comments]

    Penetrating Oil on uneven tone deck boards

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 11:18 AM PDT

    If I use a transparent penetrating oil will it hide the uneven tones of the boards? https://imgur.com/gallery/VX0IQ3i

    submitted by /u/itsme__ed
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom Vanity Backsplash?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    Hi all!

    Working on a bathroom remodel and have decided not to install a backsplash behind the vanity. I've seen some posts on this sub about just adding some silicone caulking along the back edge.

    Has anyone here regretted that decision? Or has everything been ok?

    Love some feedback before we start demo! Thanks in advance!

    By the way, I'm keeping a detailed notes of the process so I can post once completed!

    submitted by /u/Virtualali
    [link] [comments]

    Leveling ground for shed

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 02:09 PM PDT

    Hi! Looking for advice:

    I just used an 'ego cultivator' to dig up the mossy grass here, in preparation for a new shed. I need to have the area "level" for the installers to do their job. What should I do with the soil with grass / moss / weed roots? Can I rake it level as the base for them to build on, or would I need to remove (how? compost?) it, and replace it with some other (which kind?) dirt? I've also run into some tree roots from my neighbor's yard - should I just bury them, or will they cause problems over time underneath?

    Thanks!

    Dig!

    submitted by /u/raghav_7
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth owning a pressure washer?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 08:19 AM PDT

    I've been in my current home for about 2 years. It's a 1500 sq foot ranch.

    I have a deck that I need to clean/reseal. I could rent a pressure washer for this job, but I'm wondering if I should just own one for other purposes (which don't come to mind currently).

    EDIT: Well, I'm convinced!

    submitted by /u/brianatlarge
    [link] [comments]

    Replace single 20 amp outlet with dual 20 amp outlets or dual 15 amp outlets?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 08:08 PM PDT

    I have a single 20 amp outlet in my utility room and I need two outlets there. Should I be replacing it with dual 20 amp outlets or dual 15 amp outlets?

    submitted by /u/ksoviero
    [link] [comments]

    Is bathroom/kitchen cabinet quality this poor or is there supposed to be some type of molding here to cover seams and color variation that's missing?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:37 PM PDT

    Is this normal for new home (pics inside)?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 04:17 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Is it normal for framing to have gaps this large?

    https://imgur.com/gallery/IibcD2q

    We are building a new home for our first home purchase and have been checking up on build progress periodically and inspecting it to get ahead of future problems.

    I am not too familiar with framing. Is there a purpose for this? Is it usually part of the process to somehow cover these holes?

    submitted by /u/UnFukWit4ble
    [link] [comments]

    structural patio posts rotting, would like some advice

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    I'm at a loss for what to do about my patio awning's 8"x8" structural posts. They are gradually rotting away at the base where it directly meets the ground. I have called a number of patio contractors nearby but every single one seems to be unable to help, most saying they don't have the bandwidth to do a project like this or they're unwilling to do repairs. Maybe I'm calling the wrong people?

    Images : https://imgur.com/a/CMa8B6Z

    This awning was done by the previous homeowners, not sure of the year, not sure of the company. I bought the house in 2017. It looks fairly new and I assume they added it when they did other renovations in 2016/2017.

    Everything I have research seems that the entire post needs to be removed and either replaced or cut / reattached somehow. You can see in the photos whoever installed it just set these posts on the existing concrete and bracketed them down. I believe that's where the problem lies, they should probably be elevated up a bit so they aren't in direct contact with the wet ground. I can't imagine there being a "patch" job that would be smart for a roof of this weight either.

    Looking through my old photos, I found some in 2018 and it almost looks like they might have been rotting at that point as well. That side of the post was previously covered by a fence and didn't get much attention. I finished removing the fence this year and that's when I noticed it.

    So, anyone have advice on where I can go from here? With contractors unwilling/unable to even come take a look at it, I'm at a loss of what to do.

    Also I'm in the DFW area, and I know it's a shot in the dark but if any of you know of contractors around that do this type of project I'd appreciate their info.

    submitted by /u/CodaMo
    [link] [comments]

    Ugly looking green sink, need help finding a replacement sink but unsure on sizing

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 06:53 PM PDT

    I'm would like to replace my current ugly sink. Picture here

    The problem I'm finding is that it seems my sink doesn't appear to be a 'standard' size. When measuring the dimensions from the top it's about 31 x 22. It's difficult to measure the actual cut out size because of space under the sink but the width appears to be close to 30 inches wide. I wasn't able to measure the depth but I would assume that it would be close to 21 since the width was around an inch shorter.

    Standard size online seems to be 33x22 so the depth is probably good but I don't think the width would work. As you can see here I don't have much room to work with under the cabinet to make it wider. There are 2x4's on each side for additional support since this is a corner sink.

    What are my options? All the major sites like Home Depot and Lowe's don't have great filters to search by a specific width. Do they make slightly smaller sinks?

    What I want in the sink:

    • Stainless Steel
    • 2 Bowl (Equal preferred but offset could work if needed)
    submitted by /u/AroundPolandTravel
    [link] [comments]

    Start kitchen reno with GC, Designer, Cabinet Maker?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:38 AM PDT

    We're getting ready for a large kitchen renovation to update a 70's era kitchen, including knocking down a wall between the kitchen and dining room. We will definitely need design and layout help to make sure it is functional, good space usage, and ties the newly connected rooms together. Where is the best place to start?

    Do we find a good GC with lots of kitchen reno experience and let them lead us through the process?

    Or do we first find an interior designer who can design the space, layout, appliance positioning, etc. then work with their recommended GC?

    Or do we start with a local cabinet maker and nail the cabinet design and layout (given cabinets will be one of the most expensive items and the cabinet maker will have the most experience with effective kitchen cabinet layouts) - then go with a recommended GC who has worked with that cabinet maker?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/sonofol313
    [link] [comments]

    My TV Mount says it holds up to 60lb. My tv weighs 60.3 pounds. Is it safe?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I just moved into a place with a mount already installed. It supports up to 60lb, but my tv is 60.3 lbs. Am I being unsafe/stupid to mount my tv on this? Will it he okay?

    submitted by /u/HT8
    [link] [comments]

    Question about who to contact about crack above the garage

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    Long time lurker, first time poster.

    My wife and I are looking for a contractor in the greater Cincinnati area who we can talk to about fixing a crack above our garage door.

    Does anyone know the type of contractor we should reach out to? Or of anyone in the area that does this kind of repair work?

    Picture here Cracked Concrete

    submitted by /u/Robotvision
    [link] [comments]

    Old light fixture help

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 02:04 PM PDT

    Half of our house is from the 1930s and has fixtures like these. I hate them. Is there an easy way to deal with them without removing them entirely? The center is protruding out too far for the new fixture we want. Thanks to all!

    https://imgur.com/gallery/ZouJLZm

    submitted by /u/videoinvasion
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor/Subcontractor licenses

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 09:35 PM PDT

    I'm based in NJ, and I found out that the contractor I hired to install hardwood in my house used an unlicensed subcontractor to do the install work. I brought this up to him today, after he refused to tell me who the subcontractor he planned to use to finish the job was. He said that the subcontractor doesn't need to be licensed, because he is licensed. Is this true, or was he lying?

    submitted by /u/gfg87
    [link] [comments]

    How do I fix a faucet that’s detached from its countertop?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    My kitchen faucet is operated via a handle at the top that you twist to get hot and cold water. I yanked it a little too hard and the entire faucet came out of the countertop. I used super glue around the base and it lasted a good month, but it just came off again. Rather than busting out the super glue for round 2, is there a better way to attach the faucet to the countertop? Detached faucet

    submitted by /u/BetterAllTheTime123
    [link] [comments]

    I replaced my light with a ceiling fan and now there’s a couple second delay when you switch it on. It’s not a big deal, but I’ve never seen anything like that. I’m curious what could cause it.

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 05:45 AM PDT

    why do paint cans do this?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    how do i prevent paint cans from doing this? why do some cans corrode like this and others are fine after a few years. i keep and use part cans of paint. i dont use once and throw away. i'd like to stop this from happening in the future. the paint in this can is fine.

    submitted by /u/honeybeedreams
    [link] [comments]

    Engineered vinyl wood

    Posted: 09 Sep 2020 08:51 PM PDT

    My parents are planning on building a house and they're unsure of whether engineered wood is a good option. We have a dog and they're worried the wood would scratch. Is this a good investment for a home is there better options that still achieve the waterproof and the scratch proof needs that we need?

    submitted by /u/xXGh0st3DXx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment