• Breaking News

    Saturday, September 19, 2020

    Home Improvement: Safety First. This is why you use a push stick with your table saw

    Home Improvement: Safety First. This is why you use a push stick with your table saw


    Safety First. This is why you use a push stick with your table saw

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 10:33 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/7KnWsSo

    So this just happened and I'm taking tgis little break to regroup, share my fuck up, and refocus on my table saw.

    I'm ripping some long shims for cabinets and probably let my board get a little too narrow. I tried to readjust using a push stick to finish the cut and zipped the stick right up the saw blade. This would have absolutely been a missing finger had I not taken the time before hand to protect myself.

    Be careful out there and keep up the good work.

    submitted by /u/motherfuckinwoofie
    [link] [comments]

    48sf 1926 bathroom renovation

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 08:14 PM PDT

    Probable asbestos, out-of-square everything, and cramped spaces. OH MY! Also... the toilet of doom. Here's an amateur's attempt at turning a shite bathroom that hadn't seen renovation work in probably 50 years into something halfway decent. I think I succeeded. If nothing else, I LOVE taking showers now.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/tmV2MgM

    submitted by /u/37chickenducks
    [link] [comments]

    Granite countertop water stain removal

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 10:05 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/wtxoJEg

    We had this countertop for 4 years now and it's just starting to show this. Can these water stains be removed?

    submitted by /u/Alabaster13
    [link] [comments]

    So..m my bathroom fans don't exhaust anywhere. What now?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:11 AM PDT

    I wanted to replace them as they're old and super loud.

    I went into the attic aaaaand they don't have an exhaust hose or anything set up. They're just providing some white noise for the occupants I guess...

    What are my options to fix this, the right way?

    I'm handy, but not "let's cut a hole in the roof" handy lol

    submitted by /u/NHarvey3DK
    [link] [comments]

    Concerned about flooding from new home being built next door

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 10:01 AM PDT

    Some photos of their property and ours then and now. Also the flooding we had when their property was vacant and flat: https://imgur.com/a/vJddVgK

    I'm going to call our township on Monday but just wanted to get opinions if new construction usually has to worry about how their runoff affects already established properties. Our yard gets oversaturated every spring. The new house/yard next door was just graded. They added truckloads of dirt around the house which means we'll be getting some of their rain now and my pole barn was already close to flooding last spring when their property was vacant and flat.

    Would you be concerned if you were staring at this situation? I'm thinking I'll have to dig a retention ditch/swale along the property line if the city doesn't think the grading is a problem that needs to be addressed by the contractor.

    submitted by /u/FvnnyB0nes
    [link] [comments]

    Fix leaking toilet shutoff

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 05:02 PM PDT

    Howdy. I just replaced the fill valve on my toilet, and when I turned the water back on again the shutoff valve started leaking. It seems like this is a common problem, but when I went to try and tighten the packing nut I couldn't find it on my setup, which has a small plastic knob rather than the usual metal knob. Mine looks like this:

    https://imgur.com/a/ObhTnWX

    I can't even see how to unscrew the plastic knob - there's no screw running through the middle that I can access.

    submitted by /u/tcmi12
    [link] [comments]

    How should I go about fixing...this...?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    Hey there folks!

    First time poster so please forgive me if the formatting is trash and my imgur link is broken! The staircase in my house is kind of torn up, as you can see. The previous owners had carpet covering basically 90% of the house- they had three kids under 5, so not only was the carpet covering up the original wood flooring of the house, it was disgusting and stained to hell! So of course we had it torn out when we bought the place, BUT the carpet must have been done wrong on the stairs because this is what we're left with. Huge gouges out of the risers which are not only hideous, but also collect dust and dog hair (and occasionally catch on my socks!)

    Okay, all of that to ask- how would you lovely people go about fixing this? My goal is to smooth and paint the risers and keep the original wood of the stairs. I'm decently handy with small fixes/projects around the house, and went to school to learn metalsmithing, so I'm not completely terrified of tools & all that jazz! We also have some bigger projects that I will need professional help with, and I am planning to give that business to my friend's husband (he has a local construction/remodel business), so I need to save money where I can. I have about $100 of "fun money" that I'm willing to put toward the tools necessary, and if I have to put it off and budget more I certainly will!

    Alright I think I've rambled enough! Thanks for all your help and suggestions y'all, appreciate you (:

    (Also I'm in Iowa if that changes anything haha!)

    pics of the stairs

    submitted by /u/octoberschild
    [link] [comments]

    I broke my bathroom sink stopper! How can I get the remaining piece out?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 06:57 PM PDT

    HERE are some photos.

    Recently purchased an older condo, and the master bathroom sink is haggard as hell. Started to snake it and then I realized it's nasty as shit right at the tippy top. Tried to remove the stopper and I broke it. Any guidance on how to remove it and put in a new one?

    Thanks for the help!

    submitted by /u/BeardedMillenial
    [link] [comments]

    Electrical Switch extension

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I was wondering what is the best way to extend this switch, so that it is flush with the plate. The images are here https://imgur.com/a/BOW3lwy

    The switch is in a 2 gang square box with a 1 gang plate that looks like THIS.

    submitted by /u/Soviet_spy14
    [link] [comments]

    Help hanging on sheet metal

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    So I have this wall mount from ikea: ikea table So I got everything on and I need to put the little lever that lets the table fall on the wall and I bumped into sheet metal. I drilled into the sheet metal with a hammer drill and it was just a loose fitting. Is there anyway to drill into sheet metal and screw it in?

    submitted by /u/Khaos05
    [link] [comments]

    Preparing for adding insulation baffles in attic

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    In an attempt to increase efficiency, and hopefully prevent ice dams this winter, I want to add substantial thickness in my attic insulation. I plan to use blown in cellulose insulation. Before I do that, there are several baffles that have fallen down, or just seem to never have been installed in the first place. There were two places in particular where the insulation had been blown completely back by the wind coming up through the eave blocks! so first I need to go in and add baffles so that my insulation doesn't block the vents. I also plan to add more vents to increase airflow through the attic.

    Obviously this is horrible, but necessary work. The environment is itchy, tight, and delicate. I plan to Bring up a flexible cloth tool bag with me. I also am hoping to build at least one padded board that will span between ceiling trusses so that I can kneel on it without following through the drywall.

    Wondering what tool you would recommend to attach the baffles to the roof trusses? Hammer-tacker seems like it'd be small and relatively easy to wield. Though I'm not sure it'll be easy to swing because of the tight confines at the edge of the attic.

    I have two types of baffles, a black plastic variety, or a foam variety (both just off the shelf from Home Depot). Not sure which one I'll end up using.

    Any other advice? Mask, headlamp, audiobook...cold beer for after....check check check

    submitted by /u/doughpat
    [link] [comments]

    Roofers want to use homeowner’s insurance to pay for replacing a very old roof. How is that not insurance fraud?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 10:50 AM PDT

    The house I'm in has a very old original roof (built late '70s in Idaho, US) and I'm looking around at roofers to replace it. So far 2 of the 3 roofers we've had look at it want to make a claim on homeowners insurance and get them to pay for it all (we'd only owe the deductible). Seems to me like the roof has ran out it's expected lifespan so getting insurance to pay for it seems a little...wrong.

    Is this a common and ok practice? Or is this kinda scammy.

    submitted by /u/7DollarsOfHoobastanq
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ok to have one style of tiles for bathroom walls and other style for tub surround walls?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 07:53 PM PDT

    So I can not put tub surround because there is a 2x3 window in larger wall ....so I am thinking I should tiles instead of surround.

    But tiles I got are not enough to cover other walls and walls around/instead suround.

    So question is ..will it look ugly/odd if I have one style/share for bathroom walls and other style/share in stead of surround?

    submitted by /u/curiosityv
    [link] [comments]

    I removed carpet colour by accident

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 05:21 PM PDT

    I used a carpet stain remover and I'm guessing I removed carpet dye because there is white blotches where I sprayed the damn thing. At first I thought it was just the soapy residue (???) and would dry translucent but no, turns out I probably removed the dye. Is there any way to fix this mess? I'm a renter so I'm quite concerned.

    submitted by /u/HereKittyKittyyyy
    [link] [comments]

    Garage Walls

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    Anyone know what material this is? It's too flimsy and breakable for OSB, but maybe it's just old school OSB.

    https://imgur.com/a/mmyb7xZ

    submitted by /u/mercenator31
    [link] [comments]

    Possibilities of drilling 7075 Aluminum with Hand Drill

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 07:23 PM PDT

    Hello there, I Planned to Buy a 1cm thickness of Aluminum.

    First side will be length of 30cm( heigh of 30cm wide of 30cm x2 plate ).

    Second will be the wall of it for holding top layer and buttom layer base of the plate that i wrote above the length will be 30cm and heigh of 15cm and wide of 30cm.

    But there is a concern for me a bit about 7075(Which's the place i lived in is impossible to get drilling mechine) and i need to use hand drilling instead.

    People online said that the aluminum 7075 is more stronger than steel by a bit and the only thing i wasn't sure of is the thickness of 7075 of 1cm can be possible by drilling with hand drill and if it is going break my hand drill fast are there any other way of around it?

    I was planned to make an strong box Enclosure and i need to drill a hole for air ventilation 12cm 4 persitions for cooling the electric component inside of it.

    submitted by /u/markus303
    [link] [comments]

    Dehumidifier to sump?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 02:05 PM PDT

    We built a new house and we're advised to run a dehumidifier for at least a year while the concrete cures. The house is at about 70% humidity with out it. We got one today, but I have limited options on how to drain it. It can drain via a garden hose, but I don't think it has a pump. I can put it into my sump pump, but the lid is bolted down (I thought of cutting a small hole for the hose?). Other option is a small condensate drain for the air conditioner, but that is almost all taken up by the AC drain. What's my best bet? No other drains in basement.

    basement

    sump

    condensate

    submitted by /u/rbooneemt
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a cheap and elegant way to block the sun out of this arched window?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:44 AM PDT

    https://imgur.com/UfBFDci

    Any DIY method to cover up this arched window? Specifically, the top semi-circular section. Bottom part I can just put up some black out curtains, but not sure what options I have to block out the sunlight from the top portion.

    This window faces south, so it can get pretty bright at times.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/StarchCraft
    [link] [comments]

    Water and hardwood floors question.

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:54 PM PDT

    We just put hardwood floors in my family's house and my dad is super paranoid about water getting on the floor. I know it's bad to wet them but how bad, for how long can the wood tolerate it, and how can I clean my floor etc

    submitted by /u/KookyInvestigator2
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor Dust

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 06:08 PM PDT

    So I was recently recommended a contractor in the area who from both a performance and quote perspective appears to be reasonable so far.

    However, there has been essentially zero dust mitigation. During the demolition of the bathroom upstairs all they seemed to do was open the window.

    How normal is this?

    I brought it up to the owner, who could only offer an apology and state that he instructed his employees to shut the bedroom doors (which they did not) and that they would vacuum.

    Most of our belongings are downstairs in a room that usually has the door shut (currently moving in), but I'd hate for this mess to travel throughout the house, including rooms that we are beginning to paint. I feel like there is not much that I can do now that demolition is over.

    I could go on, but I think you get the point.

    submitted by /u/RockAddict311
    [link] [comments]

    Proper way to prep a basement floor

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:46 PM PDT

    Old paint and old tile in my basement. Took care of the tiles (asbestos). Planning a floating vinyl or maybe just a paint. Anyone have pros/cons? Any experience I can lean on? Perspective and advice appreciated

    submitted by /u/hhhansen2002
    [link] [comments]

    Would you live in a property during renovations?

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:35 PM PDT

    To anyone who has lived in a property during renovations would you do it again? I'm considering renting a different place before starting the kitchen's and bathrooms. We are a family of 5 and it seems like renovations go pretty slow trying to work around keeping a livable space. In the future I definitely would not move into a property I had plans to renovate unless they were very minimal.

    submitted by /u/Deevorceeng
    [link] [comments]

    [Help!] I can't unscrew my stubborn/weird faucet aerator!

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    I'm trying to remove my aerator but it doesn't seem like the standard one that you can unscrew it with a delta key or a wretch. I guess the issue is because the water pipe is attached to the aerator as in the first picture. I am afraid that if I try too hard on the aerator the black pipe will break (see picture 3). Any advice on how I can get rid of this bad boy?

    [Pic 1:] (http://www.imgur.com/a/T1GZsvL)

    [Pic 2:] (http://www.imgur.com/a/4YHxIBF)

    [Pic 3:] (http://www.imgur.com/a/SaXfFXI)

    submitted by /u/amidumborwhat00
    [link] [comments]

    Exhaust fan allowing rain water in.

    Posted: 19 Sep 2020 09:52 AM PDT

    Bad storm yesterday found out the wind can blow rain into the exhaust fan exit on the roof. Roofers aren't able to get out to fix it under warranty.

    Hurricane is set to hit tomorrow night and I want to close it off until they can get out to fix it. What's the beat way?

    submitted by /u/TheYearsGoneViral
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment