• Breaking News

    Tuesday, August 11, 2020

    Home security: threatened by illegal dumper

    Home security: threatened by illegal dumper


    threatened by illegal dumper

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 12:03 PM PDT

    So, I live in a perhaps not so great neighborhood.

    This morning, I caught a couple driving up to my trash cans and unhauling an entire load of trash into my trash. I told them that its not a public trash can and took a picture of their license plate. In response, they said that they've made it personal and would take revenge and that I'd better be scared for my life (or something to that effect) and then drove off.

    I have cameras around the house, but none pointed at the trash can, so I didn't get a video or recording of the incident.

    I plan on installing more cameras to improve the blind spots, but sort of shook up by the whole threats of violence thing. I mean I doubt they're going to be capable of doing anything but maybe I should have read this other post https://www.reddit.com/r/homedefense/comments/i2wb3n/discourage_dumping/ first

    So, wondering if people have any suggestions. And I guess in the future unless you have a gun or something (meh, even if you have a gun), don't confront people in your yard directly

    edit: looked at trash, no trash mail, just a lot of food trash (half eaten baby carrot bags? yuck.) and old rugs...

    submitted by /u/throwawayplus123
    [link] [comments]

    Can I Re-Boot a DSC Alarm Panel??

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 02:39 PM PDT

    I have a DSC alarm system in my house, it's the Power Series I believe, and I have three LCD green back-lit keypads at various locations in the house. I installed it around 2009, and it has a mixture of hard wired and wireless sensors.

    Recently I got the yellow triangle and traced it to a Zone Fault on one of my window sensors. I removed it, cleaned it up, still no luck. I opened up another window sensor that was working fine, and pulled the battery out of it to see if that was the problem in the window sensor that was giving me the Zone Fault. That cleared up the zone fault and it seemed to be working fine. I went and got a new battery and put it into the window sensor that was working fine before and now I'm getting a Tamper error and I can't seem to get rid of it.

    The tamper is fine, I've removed it, cleaned it up, it still has spring it, it snaps together properly and the battery is now brand new, but I cannot get rid of the tamper. Keep in mind, this sensor had no problems prior to me taking the battery out to put it into the sensor that had the Zone fault.

    So it's not the sensor itself that was the problem initially, and I'm wondering how to get rid of this temper problem? The first thing I'd like to try is try to reboot the entire system. It has a battery backup so it's never actually been offline or rebooted in eight or nine years. I do not want to lose any of the programming, I just simply wanted to reboot it, ike you'd reboot a phone or a computer. Is this possible? If so, can you do it via the keypad and do an entire system reboot questionmark

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Verminator1414
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision NVR restarting itself

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 01:21 PM PDT

    Hey all,

    I bought a Hikvision NVR from B&H Photo about 2 months ago. It started out working really well.

    However, as time goes on, I've noticed stuttering in playback (app and NVR) and so far in these 2 months, the NVR has restarted itself. Once when I was home and once when I was not home.

    What could be the issue?

    submitted by /u/EconomicsDry5496
    [link] [comments]

    Defending a detached garage sirens and cameras.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    I recently built a detached garage, it has network and electric access. I have ADT in my house, but they wanted stupid amounts of money to extend it, even after me wasting money to run cable for them... (I think it was something like $1200) I don't necessarily need it monitored, but would like to have a way I can have a siren that I can hear in my house if someone tries something at night and cameras.

    I have no clue what to buy as far as sensors and siren's go, just want something simple and easy. Camera's are also a sticking point would like at least one indoor camera and an outdoor camera. Was looking at Blink but free storage seems too good to be true.

    The garage has one entry door, and two garage doors.

    I'm sure this will be easy for someone well versed in the subject.

    submitted by /u/thefloppychicken
    [link] [comments]

    DSC PC1616, Qolsys IQ, or SimplySafe

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 11:34 AM PDT

    Greetings! Ok, I need recommendations for a new alarm system.

    Here are my thoughts/options. Use an existing DSC PC1616 I have laying around. I only have the board, so would need to purchase everything else. I'd pair it with an Alarm.com SEM and use Surety for monitoring. This is what I wanted to do - seems the most robust, and I'm a nerd so it's right up my alley. But I'm REALLY worried about the programming (more on that later).

    Qolsys IQ Panel 2 with Surety (Alarm.com). I really like this - seems really sharp and promising, but I don't know a single person that has it, so concerned about that. But, seems to be easy to program, which is a plus.

    Now, don't hate me for this, but I'm also looking at SimplySafe. I know you all don't really love this, but it's so easy to setup and gives me everything I need. But, prove me wrong please!

    I want a solid alarm system that I can trust, with professional monitoring. I want it to be able to integrate with Alexa and Home Assistant (if possible). My third child is due in 5 weeks, and I'm really concerned about the time it may take to set up the DSC1616 or even the Qolsys. What would you all recommend, between these 3 options? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Eboettn
    [link] [comments]

    Question about baby monitors

    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 04:24 PM PDT

    Would it be possible someone could be watching/listening other than myself if I am using this:

    VTech VM5262-2 5" Digital Video Baby Monitor with 2 Pan & Tilt Cameras and Full-Color and Automatic Night Vision

    We're trying the "cry it out" method on putting the baby to bed. After I put him to bed, he cried for about 10 minutes and then I heard what sounded like someone saying "Shhhh" twice.

    My wife heard the same sound and asked me what it was. I've unplugged the baby monitor and was hoping for some advice/insight.

    submitted by /u/NeedsMorePunching
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment