• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 12, 2020

    Home security: 24/7 Video recording with Reolink battery powered cameras

    Home security: 24/7 Video recording with Reolink battery powered cameras


    24/7 Video recording with Reolink battery powered cameras

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 04:33 AM PDT

    First and foremost, I know that these cameras will not support 24/7 video surveillance natively and are trigger-based recording only.

    However, I am wondering if it's possible to pair the Reolink 2/3/pro with ZoneMinder with persistant storage to create 24/7 video surveillance?

    I had originally planned on buying the Nest Outdoor cameras, and using their cloud offering for £10 p/m, but I really like the idea of pairing one of the aforementioned cameras with the solar panels and not having to drill through my wall / run cables etc.

    Does anybody have any experience with doing this? Is it even possible?

    I haven't purchased any cameras yet, so I'm not tied to Reolink if there are better alternatives.

    submitted by /u/wibblywobblywang
    [link] [comments]

    ZOSI NVR, how trustworthy?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 09:17 AM PDT

    What do you think of the ZOSI brand for NVR security systems?

    They are sold in Europe as well as the US.

    There are security and privacy concerns such as weak encryption or backdoors.

    Fair to try or stay off, at all?

    submitted by /u/il_magnificenti
    [link] [comments]

    Lorex DVR keeps disconnecting from PC software only

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 07:23 AM PDT

    Hello,

    For some time now my Lorex LHV2016-DFS3 (Costco 16 channel DVR) began regularly disconnecting from the PC software (works for 2--5 minutes, disconnects, reconnects about 30 seconds later). The Android app seems to work fine (no disconnecting).

    Upon further inspection, the router's DHCP log shows that the Lorex DVR keeps renewing its IP address ONLY WHEN RUNNING THE PC SOFTWARE... the rest of the time, it doesn't renew its IP address, and works fine--as if the PC software connection is triggering a LAN disconnect? During this time, as expected, the DVR doesn't respond to HTML requests to its IP address.

    Also, while exporting a large section of video (~10 minute download), it doesn't appear to disconnect at all from the PC software.

    I've tried many Lorex/Flir PC desktop software versions with the same results. I'm currently running Lorex Cloud V1.0.0/2019-11-27 64 bit version.

    I'm sure other's have had this problem... any fix?

    thanks!

    submitted by /u/goodguy5000hd
    [link] [comments]

    Repurposing existing home security sensors

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:51 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Recently moved into a new(-to-us) home. Previous owners installed an Alarmforce wireless system with a number of door/window sensors and a motion sensor.

    Is it possible to repurpose the components in a new security system, or for smartphone functions? If so, what sort of equipment do I need? Keypad: Climax KP-7 Door/window sensors: Linear DXS-36AF

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/boysaremyarmsattire
    [link] [comments]

    Is 24/7 home monitoring worth it? Or overrated? Home security/alarm - Abode, Cove (RapidSOS), Simplisafe, Surety, ADT, Scout?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:25 AM PDT

    Is 24/7 home monitoring worth it yeararound? Or overrated for the price?

    How much would you pay for it monthly? $10, $15, $25, $45?

    Does the home security company you go with have better monitoring than others? or do some companies use live video sent to the 24/7 monitors as a more efficient for real/false alarms. I think Simplisafe top service does this to identify false alarms? worth it?

    What about RapidSOS company that COVE partners? Does it really make a difference?

    I live in a relatively safe neighborhood as far as I know and crime reports online seem low, but it could happen to anyone I suppose. Would you get it still?

    I've heard a thief or someone intending on doing harm will be in and out faster than anyone can get there whether you have monitoring or not. Perhaps RapidSOS can help with this?

    I know you can't put a price on the safety of your family, I'm just wondering if 24/7 monitoring really saves a lot of lives and is more than peace of mind.

    Abode vs Cove (RapidSOS) vs Simplisafe vs Surety vs ADT vs Scout?

    submitted by /u/PermissionGranted117
    [link] [comments]

    Need recommendation on alarm systems that play well with Home Assistant

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 05:15 AM PDT

    Looking for something to alert me of entry through open window.

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    My ground floor flat gets incredibly hot during the summer months and im always to scared to leave any windows open if im not in that room, have tv/music playing or asleep.

    Is there a cheap alarm available that i can install inside a window frame that has a breakable beam or something?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Gords78
    [link] [comments]

    What disguised security camera setup would be best for apartment?

    Posted: 12 Aug 2020 12:48 AM PDT

    So I want to monitor my apartment and want to set up small security cameras (disguised).

    Sound also needs to be recorded. They need to be running remotely, so I can connect at any time and see what's going on and also enable disable them as needed. They should also be able to record this on a server using WiFi, so in case they get disabled I can still see recording up to the point.

    2-3 cameras is what I need. What would be the best setup you'd recommend?

    submitted by /u/BackgammonMasters
    [link] [comments]

    Any home security cameras with user permissions?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 01:36 PM PDT

    Most cameras that I have read about and also the one that I am currently using right now will allow everyone to deleted videos. This is very poor if managing many houses like I'm doing.

    I am sure there are others looking for the same thing- is there one smartcam home security solution providing user permissions allowing many to view content but not delete?

    submitted by /u/chapolap
    [link] [comments]

    Confused on the network hardware requirements for setting up security camera network

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    I am setting up 3 amcrest cameras connected to a TP link PoE switch. I plan to run Blue Iris on a dedicated desktop computer running headless. I already have the cameras and switch, and I have a refurb i5 EliteDesk box and 4TB WD Purple on the way.

    I want the cameras to be protected from the internet as much as possible but I also need the computer itself to be connected to the internet so I can access it. I'm having trouble envisioning the layout of this network because I don't know anything about network design. First of all, does this even make sense? Do I need a separate router for the cameras or can I connect the PoE switch directly to the computer? Do I/can I install 2 regular old network cards into the computer (or better yet use the already on board WLAN and ethernet connection simultaneously) so I can simultaneously connect the cameras and my main home router, and does this functionally isolate the networks from each other? Thanks

    submitted by /u/and_eazy
    [link] [comments]

    Adding new IQ sensors, compatibility, etc

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 06:51 PM PDT

    I have an ancient GE Simon XT monitored by alarm.com. All sensors are wired and one went bad, so Brinks sent me an IQ DW Mini as a replacement. Super-easy install and tech support got it going with my system in 5 minutes. Now I'm thinking why not get some more of these and stick them on the 5 sliding windows that currently have no sensors. Any reason not to do this?

    Eventually I plan to upgrade the panel to an IQ Panel 2, so obvs these will work with that. Not sure about the old wired sensors though. Any idea?

    submitted by /u/AyLilDoo
    [link] [comments]

    Help securing low-security rented apartment

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 04:55 PM PDT

    Just found this sub, glad I did. I live in an apartment complex that's recently seen a huge uptick in car thefts, and the police say we should expect it to escalate to home robbery as well. We've got lock bars coming for the sliding door and single window, but the main door is left untouched save a 150db alarm. Which, as soon as a thief notices no one is home and that not a single neighbor so much as pokes their head out, will be about as good as a sign saying "please don't rob us".
    We have a deadbolt that's rather loose when locking and unlocking, and a lever handle with no lock on either side. We've been told we're not allowed to make any changes that require modifying any hardware. Does anyone here know of any solutions to protect the main door while we're out? It's the only loose end left. There's motion and vibration alarms on the door, sliding door, and window that will go off in the event someone smashes the glass, a motion sensing camera, and thankfully the door hinges are on the inside of the main door, but it remains the weakest area.

    submitted by /u/Unsolidwaste
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking initial thoughts on a NVR system and 4 camera system for a "tiny home" (actually a van).

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 04:06 AM PDT

    Looking for some pointers on where to start looking for an NVR and 4 camera system for my RV.

    The primary purpose is for situational awareness. When I'm in the back (in the "home" portion of my RV), there are no windows (it's a van) except for the back. I'd like to know what's going on outside. Especially at night if I'm in a strange neighborhood.

    Recording retention is not super important. 1 or 2 days is fine, 3 is probably more than I need.

    I understand there are 12V DVR systems designed for vehicles, but since I also have 110V AC in my rig and thus I am thinking it opens the door to using home security systems.

    There seems to be more choice with systems geared towards home than there are with vehicle systems. Maybe home systems are more advanced too because there's more competition. I see that 4K cameras and recording are plentiful whereas many vehicle systems are still stuck at 720p.

    Perhaps the NVR device for home systems is not as rugged because of the use of mechanical hard drives. But I'm hoping they can be swapped out for SSDs (can they be?).

    One issue is camera size. 4K cameras are somewhat large. I'd like to have really tiny cameras--partly for stealth and partly because of aerodynamics (I need to drive at highway speeds). Are there tiny dome cameras that are compatible with NVRs? The front and rear cameras need to be small but not as tiny as the ones on the sides. The front and rear are inside the van looking out through the windshield and rear windows.

    I can do the legwork to investigate the various options. Just looking for some direction on what to look at and what's possible. Maybe my concept is impractical; hopefully not.

    Some capabilities I'd like:

    • 4 x 4K cameras (front, rear, left and right) (if small size means less than 4K, I'll be ok with it)
    • good night vision (if good night vision means less than 4K, I'll be ok with this too)
    • 2 or 3 days of recording to a rugged device such as an SSD.
    • Rugged enough to take the pounding of driving over bad roads (sometimes, not often).
    submitted by /u/acid-rain-maker
    [link] [comments]

    Hikvision Turrert > 2CD2385FWD looks like 2CD2385G1

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Everywhere I look the 2CD2385FWD looks different from the 2CD2385G1-I

    But I got this one and the box clearly says FWD-I and not G1:

    https://www.netcamshop.nl/hikvision-ds-2cd2385fwd-i-b-2-8-4k-turret-dome-camera-2-8-mm-zwart/pid=63683

    But when I search on the internet the 2CD2385FWD looks like:

    https://www.digitalsi.com.au/hikvision-ds-2cd2385fwd-i-8mp-ip-black-outdoor-turret-camera-with-4mm-fixed-lens

    submitted by /u/OccultMonk
    [link] [comments]

    What version of the Honeywell Vista Series is this? Former ADT Customer

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 07:15 AM PDT

    I recently turned off my ADT monitoring. I had been using it for 4 years, I "own" the equipment at this point. I still have the system running in self-monitoring mode.

    I'm considering hooking up a Hub6 or Envisalink 4.

    This is my current logic board. It is branded as a Safewatch 3000 Pro.

    Logic Board

    My questions:

    1. Do I have to login in to the ADT panel to "disable" the old cellular communication module? (I've just unwired it from the panel at this point). I don't want errors from the system if it trys to "phone home" to ADT every month.
    2. Is this an old PROM? If I change the PROM, do I have to reprogram the entire system from scratch again? Where would I buy a new PROM for this? Would a new PROM support the ADT keypad that already exists. The current one is: "WA3000 - 9.12 (2010 Rev 9.12)"
    3. Any experience with Hub6 or Envisalink 4? Envisalink looks to offer easy features, better price. Hub6 has a $10 a month monitoring option and Cellular backup.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/atlcatman
    [link] [comments]

    Floodlight Reccomendation Based on Human Recognition Rather than Any Motion

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 09:07 AM PDT

    Any recommendations for a security Camera/floodlight that can detect if the movement of a human and then turn on the floodlight so we limit the false positives (stop lights turning on due to nonhuman motion)? My parent's house got broken into and thought this would be useful since in my experience floodlights go on way too much.

    submitted by /u/No1Statistician
    [link] [comments]

    Samsung Smartthings Camera: putting them outside?

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 06:42 AM PDT

    I am getting the free $150 for ordering a new Samsung phone and can get 2 "free" Smartthings cameras.

    To my knowledge they are indoor cameras and they don't offer the outdoor ones on the promotion.

    I was thinking just spraying them with some Flexseal and running the wire inside.

    Will these work outside ok? What's the worst that happens? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!

    https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-home/smartthings-cam/cam/smartthings-cam-gp-u999covlbda/?cid=pla-ecomm-pfs-sth-us-google-na-01012020-169906-&ds_e=GOOGLE-cr:0-pl:268235754-&ds_c=FF~%5BIM_SmartThings%5D+_CN~smartthings_PH~on_MK~us_BS~ec_PR~smra_SB~damul_PK~roas_FS~loe_CA~pla_MD~h_KS~ba_MT~na-&ds_ag=AG_%5BSmartThings%5D+SmartThings_MK~us_AT~sa_MD~h_PB~goss_AI~no-&ds_k=PRODUCT_GROUP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwg8n5BRCdARIsALxKb97Y_Wgvwt_-0NCqc7UolR9MkD5WV_UDUVin74CJ3OGHkIVNXyoa274aAl_oEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

    submitted by /u/ItssRandy
    [link] [comments]

    This community seems to be a bit more active, just looking for some guidance

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 08:06 AM PDT

    Door camera

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 04:27 AM PDT

    Just moved into a not so nice neighborhood. I would like a camera to install that not only included outside my door but the stairs. The apartment is upstairs and I would like to be able to see what is directly outside my door while also being able to see anything on the stairs.

    submitted by /u/Lord_Mcleod
    [link] [comments]

    Need to catch a garden thief

    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    My street used to be inhabited families for the longest time, but most of them moved away and the houses turned into section 8 housing. Needless to say, they filled up with sketchy dirtbags from out of state, and now my garden is getting pilfered. Is there a wireless outdoor camera I can set up in a nearby tree to record to sd card that would be of any use? I would rather stay under $100 though I realize that might be unfeasible, I just don't have much experience with this kind of product and don't know what it would cost. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/XylophoneZimmerman
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment