• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 15, 2020

    Home security: Avoiding security camera vendor lock-in

    Home security: Avoiding security camera vendor lock-in


    Avoiding security camera vendor lock-in

    Posted: 15 Jul 2020 12:49 AM PDT

    I need to record a room onto sdcard primarily so if someone hurts themselves we can take the camera down and have a record of what happened.

    I don't need cloud recording. In fact, I don't even really need wifi because there's so little to protect. However, it would be nice to have this option so that if internet becomes available at the location at a later date, we can use it later.

    My gopro has loop recording but it's only 10mins long.

    I've noticed that a lot of the cheap cameras upload to a cloud service. Other cameras aren't IP cameras and you need to use an app to view them. I expect that app will no longer work in a few years time when the crumby app they've developed doesn't work anymore.

    Suddenly a simple decision is a rats nest of complications.

    What camera do you recommend and why?

    submitted by /u/After-Cell
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from 5 y/o Q-SEE DVR system to something more modern and pref. US-based, looking for advice

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 08:25 PM PDT

    Presently have this system. Got via costco.com back in 2015 and it has had a good run - in fact 7 of 8 cameras still work. Quality has never been great - forget about identifying anyone at night - even during the day it's a mixed bag - but was useful to know what was going on, and at exactly what time something happened.

    Unfortunately, the DVR now seems to have crapped out, and fuggetabout trying to get any support from the parent company. I am evaluating replacing the existing DVR with an NVR that will support the coaxial lines that are already in place so I can continue using the same cameras for their remaining life + add a few additional high-res POE options to supplement. Ideally would love to be able to reliably capture license plates at night - although not specifically interested in actual LPR unless it's very easy / achievable now - rather would just like to be able to rewind video when needed and make out plates. Ideally all of this will work within the same "hub" (I can access all cameras w. same software, set up remote access painlessly, etc)

    Current situation - I am overwhelmed by all of the options, and underwhelmed at the low prevalence of those from US-based companies (5 years of fighting with Q-SEE's customer no-service has kinda worn me out on the prospect of engaging another overseas vendor). Not amiss to doing something more DYI / dedicating a spare PC to serve as a hub in place of NVR, and learning more about networking and such. What have y'all done that has worked for you that I may be able to "steal" ?

    Some more random details - house is 2-story; closest point to start of road is about 45 feet, another 16 feet to the general area where license plates would be passing on opposing lane. Budget is "reasonable but let's not go crazy" - technical expertise is "I google to figure stuff out or ask smarter friends" if that makes any sense. Already have a solid router that gives me (well, my best friend who is a networking master) full control of the network, etc. Have an Ubiquiti mesh solution for wifi which seems to work great but would not be relevant for cameras as I am not interested in the perpetual "change the batteries" dance - just mentioning in case their camera products are well-perceived and will work well with the existing tech I already have.

    submitted by /u/ballade4
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for opinions on EZVIZ

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    Are the EZVIZ line of cameras worth my time? Looking for opinions of people who have used them. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/lane777smith
    [link] [comments]

    Review mentions Amcrest NV4108E-HS can't do 8mp/4k live view 4+ cameras. Any alternatives?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 11:32 PM PDT

    I have the blink xt2 and absolutely hate how buggy it is. It won't let me live view one of the cameras anymore but records. Recordings end shortly with movement still on frame and the battery life is like 2 months rather than 2 years. So I'm trying to build or buy a setup for around $700 or so and found the Amcrest NV4108E-IP8M-T2499EB4-2TB. This seems fine but I'd like to use 4 cameras to start with and then add another or two more for a total of 6. I like to live view a lot and will check the cameras if I hear a noise outside. So I'd like a relatively decent and quick live view.

    I see this thing about Blue Iris. Do I even need a NVR if I buy Blue Iris? Does Blue Iris save to a cloud or something? Anyway. I'd like Onvif? That way I can upgrade the cameras in the future when 4k 30fps becomes standard with cameras one day as it's 15fps it seems. I don't mind building piece by piece like a gaming pc. Especially if it's cheaper and better quality equipment if that's the case.

    submitted by /u/Fatguyinayellowcoat
    [link] [comments]

    Cameras with great motion detection recommendations?

    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 10:29 AM PDT

    Hello everyone,

    I've had a few people creeping around my moms house this summer and want to install some security cameras to see what is going on. Something with excellent motion detection and night vision is the most important factor for me. Looking for a brand that has an app so I can monitor the cameras from my own house which is about 25 kms away. Ideally they will have an alarm/two way speak so I can trigger if need be. Here are a few I am considering from Amazon, have any of you used these cameras or have recommendations of your own?

    https://www.amazon.ca/Version】CHORTAU-Wireless-Waterproof-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B07KP73NMS/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-6

    https://www.amazon.ca/CACAGOO-Security-Wireless-Surveillance-Detection/dp/B079MBLC48/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-13

    https://www.amazon.ca/HeimVision-HM311-Surveillance-Floodlight-Waterproof/dp/B085ZTLMG2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-3#customerReviews

    https://www.amazon.ca/3MP-Outdoor-Security-Camera-Surveillance/dp/B07R3YH6CL/ref=sr_1_15?dchild=1&keywords=outdoor+camera+alarm&qid=1594668490&sr=8-15

    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07VKK73JB/ref=dp_cerb_2

    submitted by /u/idunnomangg
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment