• Breaking News

    Monday, July 20, 2020

    Home security: Ammo Question

    Home security: Ammo Question


    Ammo Question

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:41 PM PDT

    Hey y'all. I had a question about home defense ammo. I use an AR-15 as my primary home defense long gun and I have some G2 .223 RIPOUT Trident ammo in it right now. My question is -- Will this ammo penetrate the walls in my house? I chose the AR-15 as my defensive firearm because of multiple studies that .223 tends to not penetrate walls as much as buckshot or pistol ammo due to it fragmenting at high speeds. My main goal in purchasing ammo is to avoid overpenetration as much as possible. I am very concerned with the safety of my housemates and neighbors. Will this ammo suit my needs or should I buy something else? I saw a balistics test for it showing that it actually underpenetrated on ballistic gel thanks to the very rapid expansion, but I'm unsure how that translates to walls. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Bigmans9
    [link] [comments]

    Please help a total novice what cameras to buy!

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:20 PM PDT

    One thing I know I want is to improve security in my home and online. I just ordered a new router a TP Link AC 1900 because I just had my pc plugged right into my ISPs modem they gave me. I'm still learning everything I can do and there are a ton of products out there.

    Recently I purchased simplisafe and was excited everything was working well except the cameras would constantly be disconnecting. I tried everything but realized that WiFi cameras just aren't reliable.

    I have a 1600sqft house so I'm thinking I would need about 4 cameras to start and maybe add some later? I want to run these wires through my atttic and into a central location. Let's assume the hard part is done and I have my 4 wires ran to a bedroom with PoE cables what do I need? An NVR? A switch? I've seen the name blue iris but idk what that is or does. Should I just buy the amcrest or reolink package that comes with everything on amazon or would I be better off putting together my own system? My budget would probably be about $800 max.

    submitted by /u/RufusDaTrufus
    [link] [comments]

    Blue Iris and AMD APU performance?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 08:53 AM PDT

    Anyone here running Blue Iris with an AMD APU? Sepecifcially one of the Ryzen processors? I'm looking at swapping out my dad's intel e3-1275 with a ryzen 5 2400G but I'd like to know if thats the best way to go for him.

    Currently he is running UnRAID with a VM for BI. It works, but that CPU is taking a beating.

    Neither Proc has QS.

    submitted by /u/rustynailinthefoot
    [link] [comments]

    ADT Cancellation Help- 3-Day Window?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 01:14 PM PDT

    Hi All. I signed a contract with ADT for a home security system and monitoring and then agreed to additional fire alarms/CO2 detectors/window alarms during the in-home installation process (I'm a 20-something single woman living in my own home for the first time and the representative definitely had me a bit scared and I felt very pressured to make a quick decision. In the past few hours I've realized that the monitoring and equipment/installation costs are ridiculously high compared to other systems and would like to cancel ($65 monthly contract + over 1K in add-ons). Can anyone help me by answering the following questions.

    1. What is the best way to cancel the monitoring contract and make sure I don't get charged? I am within the 3-day no-charge cancellation window. I signed the contract this morning, July 20.
    2. Safe Haven is the name of the representative's company. They were the ones who installed the system. If I cancel through ADT can I get the extra installations cancelled and removed as well?
    3. If the answer to 2 is yes, how?

    Thank you in advance for the advice and for all of the information posted in this forum!

    Edit: Location is Houston, TX.

    submitted by /u/esquirette17
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone tried using a splitter for input into a BNC based system?

    Posted: 20 Jul 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    Background: I have one of the Lorex security systems that takes BNC camera inputs and one RCA channel input. My cameras are BNC cables and don't have audio built-in. I have microphones that are RCA, but the problem is the Lorex system only takes one RCA input that defaults only to channel 1.

    My question is... has anyone tried this?:

    Camera gets connected to one side of a BNC splitter that is connected to Lorex.

    Microphone RCA gets connected to a RCA to BNC converter, and that gets connected to the other side of the previously mentioned BNC splitter that's connected to Lorex.

    Would this work? If not, what do you suggest I can do? Preferably would not like to spend more money on extra cameras if possible.

    submitted by /u/thepianocian
    [link] [comments]

    My car is frequently broken into in my apartment complex and I suspect my neighbors. What should I do?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:13 PM PDT

    Today my car was broken into again, but this time during broad daylight in the afternoon while parked in my suburban apartment complex, directly beside my unit, away from the main road and out of general sight. I believe it is a neighbor of mine doing this. I was away for only a couple hours, and I never see shady transients around our tucked away community. I notice cops being called to the complex on occasion and recently saw a neighbor call the cops on one of our other neighbors, the only guy that seems shady as he walks around the complex constantly looking around, watching people, blocks up all views of his unit, and doesn't seem to work. I haven't been able to ask around about the incident with him as our office is closed long term due to COVID and I haven't seen the other neighbor (that called the cops) around. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case as it's not exactly a quality community or complex. I have all the time in the world these days so I plan to catch this motherfucker.

    submitted by /u/MyPenisMightBeOnFire
    [link] [comments]

    Amcrest UltraHD 4K PoE on ZoneMinder?

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 09:00 PM PDT

    I've been trying to setup my Amcrest 4K camera with ZoneMinder - in any resolution - with no luck.

    I can stream it to VLC, or the Kodi plugin using the "usual" RTSP address format:

    rtsp://user:pass@ipaddr:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0

    subtype 0, 1 and 2 all work as expected on the other consumers, but in ZoneMinder v1.34.16 I only get a connect and a tiny tiny frame rate - no picture, and a Log full of rtsp errors. I've tried various resolutions from 640x480 up through 4K, most effort focused on 1080p. The cam has one way audio, enabled/disabled doesn't seem to matter. I have a TrendNet 310 IP camera that's streaming 1080p to this ZoneMinder (and VLC and Kodi) just fine...

    Kind of bummed, would really like to be able to montage view the two cameras (on a Linux media center), but it just doesn't seem to be happening. Tried mosaic view with VLM in VLC - that was a whole lot of frustration too.

    submitted by /u/MangoCats
    [link] [comments]

    I have 8 cameras installed to my house, all 8 cameras link to a DVR, and I use a phone app (iVMS) to view live and for playback. I am with a local company, and what the local company does is provide a "static" IP address instead of dynamic. Also, they provide a "Service" fee. This guy is terrible

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 10:57 PM PDT

    I have 8 cameras installed to my house, all 8 cameras link to a DVR, and I use a phone app (iVMS) to view live and for playback. I am with another local company, and what the local company does is provide a "static" IP address instead of a dynamic, for convenience. Also, they provide a "Service" fee. This guy is terrible and I need to switch. I want to keep the cameras, change the DVR (DVR so that he is no longer in the picture). Could this be done by keeping the cameras and the wiring throughout the house the same, but change where the camera plugs into (let it plug into my own device instead of this company's device [DVR]? I would also be willing to install a wireless camera system and my own DVR system. What do I do? I am not a tech guy, I'm retiring next year, and I just don't have the patience or the time anymore to be dealing with these scammers.

    submitted by /u/sirTaco418
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for CCTV Advice for farm in Australia

    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 11:18 PM PDT

    Hi,

    My parents have a farm that they would like to add some security too but there is so many different options to choose from and i am not sure what would be the better fit.

    Here is a couple breakdowns of the property:

    • The property is quite large but only has one easy/viable entrance for vehicles and consists of 3 sheds.
    • The street access is at a higher elevation than the buildings but the roofs of the sheds are visible.
    • The driveway is 75 Meters long (250 Foot)
    • There is no street lighting.
    • We have mains power and satellite internet so the idea is to use PoE connected cameras and an NVR.

    I think the idea would be to set to constant recording and either purchase an NVR or build one out of spare parts and get a PoE switch. Purchasing an NVR would be easier no doubt.

    Ideally i would like a system to have push alerts with an image if something was detected. Or even email alerts that i can then push from else ware.

    I also want to avoid anything subscription or cloud based and preferably something ONVIF in case i want to mix and match but this sounds i'll advised from what i have read.

    A couple options i have put together might be:

    • Reolink RLK8-800B4

    This is a 4k Ultra HD system with 4 x bullet cameras and an 8 channel nvr with audio recording.

    It is very cheap and has decent image quality and half decent night quality.

    • Option2 is a Dahua setup

    Comes with Dahua DHI-NVR4104HS-4P-4KS2/L 4 Channel nvr (might need to upgrade this) and 4 x DH-IPC-HDW2831TMP-AS-0280B-S2 8MP cameras which are labels as starlight so i presume they have really good low light visibility.

    The idea was possibly to also get a DH-SD49225T-HN 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ camera as well and aim it from the smaller shed to the front gate to catch a license plate on entry. I am not sure if this would be useful at night with with headlights going towards the camera. I also dont get the flexibility to use this with the reolink NVR.

    I think typically on the farms they are robbed during the day so the dahua system might be overkill but i am open to suggestions.

    Another option could be cheaper cameras and several floodlights on a motion sensor.

    Edit: Forgot layout

    Layout https://imgur.com/a/EqvlSlU

    submitted by /u/TheUltimateSausage
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment