• Breaking News

    Friday, May 1, 2020

    Home security: Security Systems

    Home security: Security Systems


    Security Systems

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    Hi all! New home buyer here. What home security systems/companies do you use? I've been doing some research but there's so many companies out there. Just looking for a place to start.

    submitted by /u/New_to-Adulting
    [link] [comments]

    Method to log drive-by wireless MAC addresses?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:27 AM PDT

    Hey all,

    My street has had a recent rash of car/home prowlings, me and my neighbors are fed up with it and I'm working on setting up a security system to attempt to catch the culprit.

    It helps that I have a server with spare storage, RAM, and CPU time. So for I've sorted out:

    • Night vision door cameras

    • Street facing cameras with automated license plate reading/logging

    • Motion activated lights

    Basically the plan is to be able to hand the cops a license plate number and say, "this car has driven by within an hour of the car prowlings every time". However, in order to be able to correlate that the same person is doing it each time, I figured most thieves are probably going to have their phone with them, so why not also log MAC address which come within range of my WAPs. Then I can say, "this car driven by someone with the same phone, bearing this mac address, has driven by within an hour of the car prowlings every time, you should go talk to the owner of that car".

    I know this functionality exists because I've had systems that did it for retail marketing (after the user agrees to terms and conditions). I'm wondering if anyone knows a consumer market or pro-sumer way to accomplish this?


    Edit:

    I have been researching this and believe I've found a promising avenue to explore. I found this python script: Probemon. Probemon logs 802.11 probe frames, which devices with wifi turned on send out about once per channel per minute per saved network (so, for the average thief I'm figuring that's at least once a minute if you're on a static channel, hopefully they're a low income user with a bad cell phone plan who uses the free wifi at mcdonalds, starbucks, etc... it could conceivably be 10 or 20 probe frames per minute).

    With that script I'd be able to see any device with wifi turned on as long as they're reliably in range for a minute or two - regardless of whether they actually connect to any network (I won't even be providing a network for them to connect to). To run probemon, you need to have a dedicated wireless adapter and a python-capable device which is compatible with the adapter.

    Aside: It also occurs to me that most thieves operate semi-locally, and you by no means need to have this setup be stationary. It's theoretically possible to give the cops the thief's home address if you're dedicated enough. We have a pretty good idea the general area thieves in our area come from. If you drove around there with a wifi pineapple in the early morning a few times I bet you'd find your MAC address, and also a physical address as long as you log GPS position along with your probe frames. I don't think I'd try this, but a dedicated person could.

    So I'm convinced enough that there is merit to this method of home surveillance that I intend to run an experiment with it. My plan is to make an ubuntu server VM with a dedicated PCIe wireless adapter and to extend the antennas to windows facing each direction to maximize the range and possibility of capturing the device. I'll report back here when I have an idea of how that plan works.

    Some pitfalls I can already see and may need to address:

    • Thief could have wifi off, I do not see a way to counter this.

    • Some devices spoof and randomize their MAC address for probe frames in an effort to suppress this exact type of surveillance. Theoretically you'd still capture it and be able to correlate it with your plate reader and cameras, but you couldn't use this information for anything on it's own.

    • Thief could drive by quickly and leave their phone in the car

    As someone else pointed out, this information isn't super actionable on an individual basis without resorting to barbaric vigilantism. BUT, having several neighbors participate in reporting this and providing all of this information to a detective gives them an easy win and tons of hard to refute evidence to turn over to prosecutors. Ethically I see no problem with it, but with all of that said should this prove fruitful enough to be handed over to the police I'm going to do that through a lawyer in order to ensure that I've not broken any privacy/wiretapping laws in collection of the evidence. I live in a one party consent jurisdiction so I don't think it does, but IANAL and the last thing I want is to become the guy who has to fight it to set a precedent.

    submitted by /u/electricsandstorm
    [link] [comments]

    Cheap wifi camera with local live viewing

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    I have a customer that needs cameras to monitor treatment rooms live.

    cabling isn't an option, wifi only

    Live viewing only, no reason to record

    Would prefer no audio at all (so there is no concern someone is listening)

    They basically do counselling that is really sensitive so I would hate for the cameras to be hacked, they just need to able to see into the room from the main office to make sure things are safe, and they are a charity, so have no money.

    So like a really cheap wifi camera that lets you watch it through a local ip address kind of thing is what I am looking for, if it exists.

    I have done it with Axis and stuff, but I am looking for like sub $50 ones.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/jduffle
    [link] [comments]

    Live security camera connected via ethernet?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 01:01 PM PDT

    I'm looking for a security camera for my grandmother's house so I can keep an eye out. She's 88, lives alone and her new neighbors are troublemakers.

    I'm needing something that can meet these requirements: 1) Can be live streamed to my phone. She lives about 45 mins away so I would need to access it when I'm not there. 2) Able to be connected via Ethernet. She has Wifi but it's pretty weak and on the other side of the house from the where I want the camera to be. I am planning to run the ethernet cable through the attic and down to the router. 3) Able to stream to something like an Echo show or similar. She doesn't have a smartphone and I would like her to be able to see what's going on outside too.

    I would like to try and keep all of this under about $400 if possible.

    submitted by /u/CrunchyTunes12
    [link] [comments]

    Placement of Vibration (Shock) Glass Break Sensor

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:53 PM PDT

    I got some vibration (shock) glass break sensors for my home security system, and I'm trying to figure out where to put them. (Note: These sensors detect vibration/shock when someone smashes a window; they are not acoustic sensors designed to detect the sound of breaking glass.)

    1. For a standard two part sliding glass door (where half of the unit is the door that slides open and the other half is the stationary part, like this photo), do you need to put one vibration sensor on the glass portion of each half of the unit (i.e., on the door that slides and on the stationary part), or can you put one vibration sensor on the frame in the middle (where the two halves overlap when closed)?
    2. For a standard, single-hung sliding window (like this photo), do you need to put one vibration sensor on the glass portion of each half of the unit, or can you put one vibration sensor on the frame where the two units overlap?
    submitted by /u/BlueCyber007
    [link] [comments]

    Light + socket

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    Did you ever see or use some outdoor box that has both wires for light/pirsensor as well as socket for adapters? (2 prolonged outlets for European socket)

    submitted by /u/liqvi
    [link] [comments]

    How to wire power kits for TWO doorbell cameras

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:14 PM PDT

    I purchased another doorbell camera for the back door, but the instructions only show the wiring instructions for the chimes for one doorbell camera: https://ipcamtalk.com/attachments/img_20200422_202902-jpg.60178/

    I was thinking that I would just add the transformer wire of the second power kit to the transformer post, then wire the pigtail to the transformer wire bundle. Then do the same for the back post (then pigtail to the back button wire). Does this make sense? I don't really want to try it and find out it destroys my hardware.

    submitted by /u/StinkyKitten
    [link] [comments]

    Security cameras for outside

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 01:39 PM PDT

    Hello all, sorry if this has been asked but I am having a hard time finding answers.

    I am looking for about 4 cameras to put outside my home to keep eye on whats going on around. I know I dont wan any subscription based plans and am wondering what my options are.

    I reached out to best buy but of course all they push are super expensive models on top of trying to get me to buy a 400 dollar router to go with it. I dont mind dropping money on the cameras as i want something that will be reliable. but to also drop 400 on a router is ridicuouls.

    Any feedback will be welcomed. Thank you guys

    submitted by /u/Da_hambergler
    [link] [comments]

    Securing door

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 11:05 AM PDT

    So I'm trying to replace the tiny screws in the door frame that hold the latch plate etc onto the door jamb and I've heard 3" screws are the way to go. I've also heard I should drill a pilot hole but I can't seem to find any 3" long drill bits for #8 screw pilot holes. Am I missing something or can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dreamerorbust
    [link] [comments]

    [65% OFF] Swann 12 Camera 16 Channel 1080p Full HD DVR Security System | eBay

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 09:03 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment