• Breaking News

    Friday, May 1, 2020

    Home Improvement: I installed a new lock on the front door

    Home Improvement: I installed a new lock on the front door


    I installed a new lock on the front door

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:27 PM PDT

    OK, I know this isn't a big project but this is my first house and I had planned on hiring someone to change the locks or rekey them. After some research I realized it was easy enough to do myself. Yay!

    https://imgur.com/a/b8VH3nG

    submitted by /u/STELLAWASADlVER
    [link] [comments]

    What can I put on clay soil so home builders have an easier time walking around property when it’s wet out? It can take days to dry up. Thanks in advance!

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 04:44 AM PDT

    Hi. Me again. It's not important HOW the giant hole got there.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 04:34 PM PDT

    What's important is that it's there. And it should not be.

    Sterling Ensemble Medley 60" x 30" 3 piece shower wall set.

    That hole is going to be a water damage nightmare. I'd caulk it, but it's huge.

    I tried to see if I could just buy a replacement wall, just that side, but I can't find it online anywhere.

    I don't WANT to replace the entire thing. I really don't.

    Other than going to Menards and begging for one piece of the display model, I'm at a loss on what to do.

    https://imgur.com/a/8VXG6eQ

    submitted by /u/GTFOakaFOD
    [link] [comments]

    Buying my first house tomorrow! Any advice for the future?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    Had our final walk through today, without the realtor. This Covid stuff has made the process really interesting. The seller has fixed everything that we requested be fixed. We measured all the windows, and purchased blinds for all of them. Already purchased new locks for all the entry doors.

    I'm planning to run Cat6 cable to all of the rooms. Thinking of building a 6ft. privacy fence in the backyard.

    I'm so excited for having an actual house that's mine. It's in Baltimore County, MD and built in 1953. Brand new roof, appliances, heat and a/c as well is new.

    Meanwhile working from home, I'll have a lot of time to work on the house.

    Any advice you guys have?

    submitted by /u/DogsCatsAndHorses
    [link] [comments]

    One bedroom has very poor heat/AC, and I happened to find a tear in the flexible ducting

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:40 PM PDT

    I went down under (my house) to tget crawl space to change my furnace filter, when for the first time in our three years living in this house I looked closely over some of the flexible ducting coming off of the furnace. I looked for what I was pretty sure was the ducting heading towards my son's bedroom. It's a room pretty close to the location of the furnace, but it's suffered from poor heating (cooling, too, though we've been less affected by it) that was noticeable I'm the winters.

    I saw a pretty noticeable tear in that ducting. You could see into it and see the insulation and the smaller duct. Quick snap here. .

    Is this a possible source of the issue? Or is it more likely some kind of constriction due to sags or tight quarters? Is patching this with foil tape likely to appreciably change the situation?

    submitted by /u/dilla506944
    [link] [comments]

    Easiest paint to later pressure wash from concrete driveway?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 09:06 PM PDT

    I am currently building a basketball hoop in my driveway, and I am looking to paint the 3 pt line and free throw line so I know where I am when I throw up some airballs. However, I plan on selling the house in a few years and dont think paint on the driveway will help with resale. I have considered tape, but want something only adhering to the surface, i.e., paint. What type of paint is easiest to pressure wash? I think it may be latex but don't want to mistakenly find out that I was wrong. Also open to other suggestions on surface markings. I am fine with repainting every few months, but not every few days like chalk. Thanks

    submitted by /u/IdealCrayon
    [link] [comments]

    New home: LVP or hardwood?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    I'm gearing up to hire a builder to build a new home which will be my "forever home". I had initially thought I'd go with hard wood floors or an engineered hardwood floor but recently I've seen some friend homes who had LVP flooring and was pretty impressed.

    Obviously it's not hardwood, but it was so easy to clean, if a spill happens it was no big deal and the stuff was bomb proof.

    My current house has solid hardwood floors and I like them but it has scratched over the years. I began to consider LVP, though part of me gets hung up on "it's a lower tier material" but LVP might be way more practical. I kinda like the idea of a lower hassle and maintenance.

    No pets, kids, etc. Both options fall within our budget so set aside the cost difference. What would you choose?

    submitted by /u/ryan112ryan
    [link] [comments]

    What a journey but ready to start again. thanks

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:33 PM PDT

    I always see those posts where people show their drawings after a couple days, then show it after a couple years and how much it has improved. I feel like our home improvements have gone the same way. I remember when I first took a drain trap off the bathroom sink to replace and now I'm jack hammering concrete and installing a full bath. It's crazy to think of all the stuff we've done in the last 5 years of owning our house but it's also incredible the stuff you learn. There are so many things that, while they were done "correctly" they could have been finished so much better. Things I wish I would have known before hand and done it the "professional" way instead of what I figured was the "good enough" way. While I don't want to redo or tear out anything we've done, it wouldn't be bad to move and get to start over with all the knowledge gained. Maybe that's also a good analogy for life.....thanks r/HomeImprovement for all your help and guidance!

    submitted by /u/buzzardgut
    [link] [comments]

    Best way to level newel post on new landing guardrail.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    I'm building a new guardrail for our landing and the floor is, of course, not level (nor are the nearest vertical lines, doors, etc).

    Pics

    (Also please forgive the haphazard in progress wall patch)

    I was thinking of shimming the posts to get them level. Seems better than trying to scribe them and cut at the perfect angle. Any tips?

    Oh, I'm anchoring them with these Sure Tite Fasteners

    submitted by /u/daniel_boring
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help or suggestions for adding a privacy trellis at our condo, BUT we can’t nail, drill, or screw into the structure. Nosy AF old neighbor watching me bb

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 06:17 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/gallery/8G8GZHL.

    I can't drill into the brick or the wood pillar from the upstairs deck. I'd really prefer to not see my nosy ass neighbor watching me every am from her window. I can use wire, but I don't want to half ass it and it look ghetto.

    submitted by /u/Cars-n-travel
    [link] [comments]

    Ceiling Fan Installation Help

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:02 PM PDT

    Hi there, I am trying to install a ceiling fan, but having some trouble figuring out what I am working with here.

    We live in a concrete highrise and ceilings are made out of; well you know, concrete :)
    The location is Western Canada, BC.

    Now, there is an electrical box that was used to hang previous light, but for the life of me, I can't find any info about what it is. It is an octagonal box 3" deep. The only markings that I could find read " SA (it appears to be a logo) OCTAPUS OCT 03, 1640 mL CONCRETE" it is made in Canada according to the little stamp under all the text. Please check out the picture.

    The fan I am trying to install is about 20lbs/9kg, however manual recommends box rated for 70lbs/31kg.

    I am not sure if I can use this at all, furthermore, what can I do to hang this fan, can I replace the box? If yes with what? I am also a little confused about how is this secured to the ceiling. In case I'd had to take it out, I have no idea where to start.

    Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

    submitted by /u/Wulmar
    [link] [comments]

    Fear of falling through the floor

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    I am curious if someone can help me. I've gained weight over the last few years and I'm afraid of falling through the floor. My husband +me+bed roughly 1100pounds. Next our tub is pure porcelain and I'm in it daily, as well as my kids. (Not at the same time). We are above our basement. I'm afraid the floor will give way. Can anyone put my fears at ease? If we were would we get hurt? Especially my kids? That terrifies me the most.

    submitted by /u/bella_donna80
    [link] [comments]

    Should be suspicious of a low concrete quote

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:54 PM PDT

    I got 3 quotes to extend my 8'x8' concrete patio to 10'x20'. One quote of $2600, one of $2300 and the other came in at $950. Should I be suspicious? It's not like the guy is out of work right now, he's 2 months out

    submitted by /u/disinformant
    [link] [comments]

    Black bi-fold shower door?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    I need one for a small bath with an alcove shower, but all I can find is chrome unless I start searching in Europe where they are common. Does anyone know of any shower door manufacturer in the US that has a black bi-fold product? Barring that, a company that will import one from Europe for me?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/IHRSM
    [link] [comments]

    Knock-off DeWalt Battery Packs?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    Anyone ever have good or bad luck with the knock-off DeWalt 20v battery packs you can find on Amazon and other sites? The Amazon reviews are mostly positive with a few reviewers receiving dead packs at first but exchanging for functioning packs and then being fine.

    The branded packs are so freaking expensive. I'd love to have 5 or 6 around for big jobs but don't want to drop hundreds on them.

    submitted by /u/bliffer
    [link] [comments]

    Just laid hardwood floors, need advice

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    My wife and I just ripped up the carpets on the 3rd floor of our townhome and put new laminate hardwood floors down. We measured a bunch of times to make sure everything was good before we began to start laying the flooring. We were told it was a good idea to start with the nose piece and work out from that. I don't know if we were given false information or not, but that's what we did. Things weren't going together, so we started over and just measured so we would meet at the nose piece.

    I got everything down and found that the boards didn't line up with the nose. It is off about a quarter inch. I have thought about trying to rip a scrap piece down to try and fit it in but the jigsaw I used to cut the boards would not cut a clean enough line in my opinion. I don't have the money to buy a better saw for cleaner cuts.

    Would it be best to try and cut a thin strip and fit it in or try some sort of inlay? I asked the people at a local Lowe's and they told me to rip the nose up then put it back in. But doing that will mess with the flow of the stairs in my opinion. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/irondevil518
    [link] [comments]

    AC has a smell when it turns on. Like a mold or fungus smell. Not familiar with HVACs at all.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 06:45 AM PDT

    Unit is fairly new ~ 2 years old. Its happened fairly recently..usually, it get this smell but a bit stronger smell when (i thought the filter needed to be changed) it uses a media filter (AprilAire) which says is good for a yea but ive changed around 2-3x a year.

    I havnt changed the filter too long ago, and never really ran the unit since it had been the colder months.

    Now I get the same smell when the AC kicks on but is not as obvious and the smell is a bit faint but very noticeable (to me)

    I read that i need to clean the coils...is this accurate? Where would they be? Whats the best product to xlean them with?

    On the main big fan unit (outside)or the setup thats in my attic?

    THe attic unit has a ventilation control timer on it as well...i dont think this has ever been used.

    https://www.supplyhouse.com/Aprilaire-8120A-Digital-Ventilation-Controller

    Would using this help at all with the issue?

    submitted by /u/OriginalATX
    [link] [comments]

    Roughly how much will a home water filteration system and installation cost?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:43 PM PDT

    Also do retailers like home Depot or Lowes ever install it?

    submitted by /u/bthug27
    [link] [comments]

    No traction on /r/LawnCare - Having topsoil delivered for raised garden bed tomorrow - should I go ahead and take advantage of the delivery and dive into a bit of my lawn leveling efforts?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:38 PM PDT

    I have quite a bit of leveling to do, but with a $125 delivery fee I'm wondering if I just go ahead and get a head start with this delivery? No rush on my part, mostly just curious on timing. I can't seem to find a straight answer on when to level with sand or topsoil, but my assumption is spring/late spring since grass should be actively growing.

    Zone 5b, TTTF and KBG lawn.

    Some spots are significant, maybe I can skip those and go for the 1" or so spots so I don't break my gd ankle every time I mow?

    If anyone happens to see the previous homeowner out and about, feel free verbally assault him on my behalf.

    submitted by /u/loopy-larry
    [link] [comments]

    How to get rid of the skunk smell in my house?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 08:35 PM PDT

    I came home this afternoon to be hit in the face by the smell of skunk permeating every corner of my house. I went out to find a skunk lying dead right by my back porch. I have no idea what killed it, but I curse the predator that chose this as the location to make its kill. It's been several hours since I disposed of the carcass, but the smell is still very strong throughout my home. Is there anything I can do?

    submitted by /u/KineticDream
    [link] [comments]

    Bathroom Vent into Chimney?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 11:13 AM PDT

    Location: MN/USA

    First time poster here so please let me know if I'm missing anything.

    So I own an older house which has a half bath in the basement and I want to convert it into a full bath. Unfortunately though due to how the house is laid out there isn't an easy way to route the vent fan output outside the house for this bathroom. While I'm not opposed to doing the extra work to give it a dedicated vent I did have a possible easier solution I wanted an opinion on. Being that this is an older house there is a nice big brick chimney that happens to run right next to the bathroom I want to renovate. As it is both my gas water heater and gas furnace vent into that chimney. I could very easily run the vent pipe from that bathroom into the chimney. Needless so say I'm skeptical at best about doing this because I've never seen it done before and I'm assuming there's a reason for that. Any advice is appreciated. My main concerns are as follows.
    1. Would the vent fan being turned on cause back pressure in the chimney and cause the furnace/water heater exhaust to escape into the rest of the house?
    2. Would the moisture from the bathroom exhaust cause problems in the chimney? What about during winter?
    3. Am I right in assuming that this is a dumb idea and should in no way be attempted?
    4. If none of the above are true why isn't this done more often? Can I just vent everything into the chimney?

    TLDR: Would venting my bathroom exhaust fan into my chimney kill me and everyone I love?

    submitted by /u/Fosheze
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for binding pea gravel

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    All,

    Putting some pea gravel into some timber stairs, and I kind of don't want all my rocks kicked out when people walk on them. I've seen things like gravel-lok and pour-on, but they're quite pricey. I've also seen sakrete as a suggestion but don't know how well that works. Has anybody had good luck with any binders for this kind of application that won't break the bank? My depth is about 3 1/2 inches and the stairs themselves are roughly 3 feet wide and 2 feet long.

    submitted by /u/Wixxyl
    [link] [comments]

    How much laundry machine vibrations should I expect?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    We just installed a stacked compact front-load washer and dryer. We have a small closet on the second floor of our house that held our previous machine (which was a top-load laundry center).

    When I installed it, I made sure it was level in the drain pan (although the plywood base we installed it on was a little bit warped). After running a cycle, it showed some vibrations.

    Now, this isn't a horror story - the vibrations aren't terrible and nothing else in the house is shaking violently; it just shimmies a bit during the wash cycle and as it speeds up/slows down to and from its spin cycle. I'd say there's at worst 1/4 inch of movement in any direction at the top of the stack.

    Is this fairly normal? What could be considered too much vibration - and would something like a well-placed shim help reduce this? I'd rather not lose sleep over whether our house is getting torn apart by a washer gone wild!

    submitted by /u/michimoby
    [link] [comments]

    Large West Facing window results in too cold-hot temperature in master bedroom. Any fixes to regulate the temperature?

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 11:22 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have this sliding window into the backyard. The air vent is right in middle on the floor and the grey curtains are blackout.

    The problem is room will heat up significantly during hot summer afternoons and the air conditioning will take a long time to cool this room. The remaining house cools down faster. Likewise in winter the room is extremely chilly in-spite of the heating being on. I had to purchase room heater.

    The air ducts and vents are about 4yrs old and we got it checked-they are working as they should be.

    Are there any solutions to regulate the room temperature? A screen/ film/ shade which can help resolve this? We enjoy natural light and like to have as much sunlight in as possible.

    Location: San Jose, California

    Pictures

    submitted by /u/MB2802
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment