• Breaking News

    Wednesday, May 13, 2020

    Home security: Any NVRs from Amazon decent or can handle 4k?

    Home security: Any NVRs from Amazon decent or can handle 4k?


    Any NVRs from Amazon decent or can handle 4k?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    I am looking at adding a NVR to my home (not opposed to a NAS) and I'm just overwhelmed by all of the options that there are. I basically want a good quality image and for it to reliably record. Some cameras I want to run 24/7 and some only when motion is detected. I notice there are 8 channel NVRs and 16 channels as well. I don't think I need more than 8 cameras but it would be nice to be able to add more than 8 in the future. Ive also seen reviews saying some NVRs like an Amcrest 16 ch 4k wouldnt be able to handle that many 4k cameras anyways because the hardware isnt strong enough.I wonder if this is the same for all the brands. . Ive also seen people recommend Dahua and Hikvision due to their ability to add 3rd party cameras. Ive also seen Reolink cameras get good reviews except for the fact that you basically have to use their cameras. Ive also seen people recommend using Blue Iris on a back up computer. I have a extra Intel i5 6600k that I dont mind using but im not sure if its up for the task either. If I went this route I would only have to buy an extra case (upgraded to Ryzen and using my old case) and a hard drive to get it running.

    Are any of these sustainable options to get a quality 4k set up going? Im leaning towards a Reolink because of positive reviews, but mainly thats because im unclear if my 6600k i5 or a NAS will have the computing power to record multiple 4k streams. Not every stream HAS to be 4k but I need at least a couple for the front of my house.

    My budget for hardware is about $500 excluding any cameras. I dont mind buying those afterwards.

    submitted by /u/WRS8
    [link] [comments]

    Outside security cameras that are no drill? Do they exist?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 02:11 PM PDT

    Need security camera(s) that are no drill because not allowed to "damage" property and indoor cameras aren't really cutting it. Do such cameras exist? Like magnetic or suction or something like that?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/AruoraOkami
    [link] [comments]

    Wemo Netcam servers shutting down

    Posted: 12 May 2020 11:50 PM PDT

    Now what? Im going to have a brick soon. Anyway to salvage the Netcam?

    submitted by /u/92se-r
    [link] [comments]

    What security cameras and software should I go with?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    I'm looking for quite a few cameras (probably around twenty) . The majority of them will be outside and any trespasser would be detected by two cameras from different angles at any given time. Six will probably go inside but only at key entry points and the stairwell. Actual placement and amount of cameras are subject to change. When it comes to price I'd rather spend more instead of taking shortcuts

    Some features I'm hoping the cameras will have:

    -> face recognition

    -> subject tracking with pan, tilt, and zoom

    -> 1080p or higher

    -> fantastic Infrared for low to no lighting scenarios.

    -> PoE (probably)

    -> software that will record continously but also timestamp when motion or sound has been detected

    -> multiple cameras on client desktop. Ideally should be able to see a feed/feeds on a smart TV and/or phone

    -> notification on devices when sound or something comes into FOV

    • customizable FOV
    submitted by /u/SkynetHasArrived
    [link] [comments]

    Baseball bat or buck knife?

    Posted: 13 May 2020 11:32 AM PDT

    Hey all.

    I'm a new Dad and been wanting to protect my home a bit more. Will invest in a firearm soon. However, in the meantime I have a baseball bat and a buck knife. Which would you go to for a midnight intrusion?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/djstrum23
    [link] [comments]

    Low Light IP Camera Recommendation/Question

    Posted: 13 May 2020 10:23 AM PDT

    I recently added a Dahua IPC-HFW2431S-S-S2 starvis to my system to replace an annoyingly new Lorex LNB4421 that started having video dropouts.

    The difference between the two is (half pun intended) night and day. I'm amazed at how much better the Dahua is compared to the Lorex. Going from the stated 0.38 Lux on the Lorex to the supposed 0.08 on the Dahua is just an absurd difference.

    The question is this: Is there another camera at all comparable to the Dahuas in a similar (or lower) pricepoint? I have a few more I'd like to upgrade now, and a new one I need to put up watching the street. For the street one I need something I can pull plates off of as well, so any recommendations there would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/boarder2k7
    [link] [comments]

    Help picking a home security systems: Nest Cameras, Z-Wave Locks, Pre-wired sensors

    Posted: 13 May 2020 09:56 AM PDT

    I am coming out of a 3yr contract with ADT in my home and looking to switch to either a local security provider (via Alarm.com) or go the DIY approach(Ring Security/ Nest Secure/ ???).

    The home is pre-wired with sensors from the builder. The ADT equipment(panel, 1 camera) is still there and I am looking to remove them.

    Any recommendation on the home security system I should go with?

    submitted by /u/mmaaarrkkiivv
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a wireless security system (UK)

    Posted: 13 May 2020 04:21 AM PDT

    I bought an Anran wireless NVR a fairly long time ago, and I am looking to buy a new system. The Anran one is good because all of the cameras are completely wireless and I am also able to use Firefox to view the cameras directly, I don't like using their software because it's a resource hog. I just bought one of their new systems, and everything about it is better, but they've dropped support for modern browsers and you can only view the cameras on Internet Explorer which I'm just not doing. I even contacted them and they told me "we stopped supporting modern browsers after 2018", so I had to send the unit back as being able to view the cameras in my web browser is important for me and other members of my household.

    So I'm looking for advice for a security system that has wireless cameras, the ability to view the cameras directly in modern web browsers through the local network, and being able to store all footage on a local hard drive rather than on the cloud. Cost is not an issue. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Dj6619
    [link] [comments]

    Self Hosted NVR solution | What are all my options?

    Posted: 12 May 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    I am looking for a self-hosted NVR solution that is good. I have about 10 maybe more 5mp cameras I want to record at at least 10fps.

    My requirements are that it runs on any hardware (so not Synology or similar), not run on windows (so not iSpy), have a good mobile app (so not zone minder), and be very reliable. I am willing to pay for it but not a subscription.

    In fact, I don't see open source as being a good thing in this case as I'm more concerned about stability and reliability than I am about security.

    Any nudge in the right direction would help. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/greg21greg
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment