• Breaking News

    Tuesday, April 28, 2020

    Home security: How did a security camera (not) help you after your incident and what did you learn?

    Home security: How did a security camera (not) help you after your incident and what did you learn?


    How did a security camera (not) help you after your incident and what did you learn?

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    To those of you who have security cameras and have had an incident:

    Please note that this particular topic is not about the deterrent value of a visible camera or camera(s), but we could certainly start another discussion about that too!

    How did your camera(s) recording help you after a theft or break-in? Specifically, how did footage help you recover stolen goods, or apprehend someone for property damage or physical violence or deal with your insurance company easier?

    Or was your footage after an incident of no practical use, and if not, why not? What lessons did you learn and what changes did you make or plan to make as a result of your experience? e.g. did you change your camera position, angle, or field of view, improve camera lighting, record differently, add a camera, etc.

    I think many here would agree that physical security is a top priority. For those going to the next step of surveillance video, it would be helpful to learn from others' experiences.

    Thanks for sharing them!

    submitted by /u/I_care_too
    [link] [comments]

    Smart Cams that work with Samsung SmartThings

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 09:00 AM PDT

    I have an Arlo Q, and it sometimes takes a minute from firing up the app to getting streaming video. Can anyone recommend a smart cam with quicker response, ideally one that would work with SmartThings?

    Has anyone tried both an arlo q and qplus? does the ethernet allow it to connect quicker?

    submitted by /u/stockskeptic
    [link] [comments]

    Can/should I upgrade strike plate screws in apartment with metal frame and doors?

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 11:00 PM PDT

    Amcrest IP2M-841E Issue

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 04:50 PM PDT

    I'm having an issue of my Amcrest camera losing its' correct preset locations. Every so often when I choose a preset it is wildly off in one direction or another. Each time I have to go in and re-setup the preset locations in the web portal.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/bdg004
    [link] [comments]

    Security system feedback

    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 02:18 PM PDT

    Hello everyone! Long time reader here. I've been living in my house for 1 year and I've never had any problems where I felt unsafe. There usually is car break-ins and "heard shots fired" reported on the Neighbors app within a 4-mile radius, but never in my direct subdivision. I believe it's because we're not on a main road and there's no outlet once you turn into the subdvision (not gated) - which my house is way deep in.

    I would love to get your feedback on my current setup (budget), which I attempted to illustrate in the two pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/hcivOuc - I apologize in advance for the quality. Feel free to ask any clarifying questions.

    Thought process

    • Monitor movement during the day with motion cameras/notifications
    • Deter intruders with motion detection floodlights at night
    • Deter intruders/alert me with loud siren triggered by motion sensors/door sensors at night
    • In case of siren trigger at night, wife calls 911 in our reinforced door bedroom upstairs while I hold the stairs/door armed (I'm trained & live in Georgia)

    Things to note:

    • Driveway entrance by the street has lights on both sides
    • The front door has been reinforced with 3-inch screws & automated lights on each side
    • My backyard is pretty much inaccessible coming from the back woods
    • The "main floor" windows facing the backyard are not reachable from the outside
    • The basement is currently unfinished and has no valuables

    Thanks in advance. Looking forward to your feedback.

    submitted by /u/poolnewb1e
    [link] [comments]

    What’s a decent/inexpensive indoor POE sec camera which

    Posted: 27 Apr 2020 07:38 PM PDT

    has a free or low-cost cloud storage? NVR too pricey now & am afraid memory card will go with camera if burglar steals it.

    Counting my pennies, but still need in-home security for a studio apartment.

    submitted by /u/IAC0920
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment