• Breaking News

    Saturday, April 25, 2020

    Home security: Broken fence...

    Home security: Broken fence...


    Broken fence...

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 07:37 AM PDT

    Hi all! My partner and I bought a house a month and a half ago in a "transitional" area in Oakland, CA. The house next door is under construction and not currently occupied. The construction required removing 20' of fence between our properties and we were assured by the listing agent for our house that it would be done by mid-March (the fence cannot be reinstalled until their work is done, as they are digging down to create a lower level for their house). The fence...is not done, and there's a gaping 20' gap in the fence through which a burglar came this morning. He squeezed through an open window into our house but luckily turned right back around when I confronted him.

    I'm looking into window bars for the ground-floor windows but I'd also like to do something about the 20' of open fencing between an essentially abandoned property and ours. Can anyone suggest temporary solutions to "bridge" the gap between the fencing that is still up? Part of me wants to bridge it with barbed wire, but that's probably not totally legal.

    submitted by /u/hwy4
    [link] [comments]

    31 Year Old Woman in Chigaco Protects Herself Against Home Intruder

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 04:04 PM PDT

    4K DVR with BNC

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 03:48 PM PDT

    My DVR is not working and I need a new one. My cameras are installed and are 4K BNC Wisenet cameras. What is a recommended DVR that I can check the cameras remotely on my phone?

    submitted by /u/TheycallmeMrR
    [link] [comments]

    DIY Home Fortifications, Part 3: The Living Room

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 08:39 PM PDT

    One stop information shop?

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 02:00 PM PDT

    Camera I see almost all posts are camera recommendations, I know there is no one size fits all option but is there a surveillance system for dummies? Someplace the basics are spelled out and advantages of each?

    NVR vs DVR digital vs analog camera Dome vs bullet

    I see there are 5MP analog I'm curious what the real difference is between that and digital.

    What I am looking for - 4 camera's - recorder - Live view

    I would like to spend in a perfect world ~$200. The main purpose is more to catch if something happens (more reactive). Color night vision would be awesome, but I understand only night vision may be feasible with the small budget. It would be great if i could make out license plates but with the small budget I understand it may not be feasible.

    Tips on running wires? I'm handy but realize there may be some pro tips on ways to run them.

    I have photos of the proposed locations if it would help.

    I have tried searching but searching here for camera give the result of almost the entire sub.

    submitted by /u/Cigar_smoke
    [link] [comments]

    Alhua Security cameras

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 10:34 AM PDT

    My dad had some security cameras installed at the home. I looked at the setup and it is some Alhua techonology machine. I looked it up and it is some Chinese company. Is there a way to put an open sourced or some more trustworthy software in its place? I am planning on moving these cameras over to VLAN at least to secure up my network.

    submitted by /u/FancyBrownie
    [link] [comments]

    Add smart lock to Alarm.com system managed by a company

    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 09:02 AM PDT

    An alarm.com system with an Interlogix control panel was in the house when I bought it. I pay the alarm company for their services but I would like to add a smart lock myself. I can install the hardware but they told me they need to come out to add it to my account? Is there a way for me to do it myself. Aside from not really wanting to pay the service fee, I like doing this stuff myself.

    So I guess I have 2 questions

    1) can I gain more control over my alarm system? 2) How do I add a smart lock with this control panel?

    submitted by /u/synergy14
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone have experience with firearms and intruders?

    Posted: 24 Apr 2020 09:07 PM PDT

    I'm not a gun owner, I've only been shooting once but I'm trying to debate between a shotgun (semi auto) or a glock 19.

    I feel like both have their pros and cons, my house isn't very big, around 800 sq ft upstairs and 600 sq ft in the basement.

    I think a shotgun would be the most impactful, but cause a lot of damage to the house as well. I like that a glock is more versatile as I could actually use it for going out to shoot and stuff

    Any feedback is appreciated, thanks

    submitted by /u/waynemc
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment