• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 22, 2020

    Home security: Best security camera/ system option on Amazon?

    Home security: Best security camera/ system option on Amazon?


    Best security camera/ system option on Amazon?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    We have come to the conclusion that we need to get cameras for outside our house.

    Would really like it to all be wireless with the ability to record audio possibly, store footage, night vision up to 10-20 ft.

    Would like three cameras minimum.

    Wide range of view would be ideal for atleast one that records in high def.

    Something that can be accessed from a smart phone

    Would like something that either doesn't have a subscription or has a not ungodly expensive yearly subscription

    Looking to spend like 300 ideally all in

    Any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Banksy998
    [link] [comments]

    I am moving to rental home and interested in wireless home security system. Any suggestions?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    I have no idea about home security systems as I was in condo till today. In few days we are moving to a rental 🏡 and it is on the corner of the road so I thought one or two outdoor cameras, two door sensors would do decent job. Home owner told he would only allow wireless kind of system so that it won't damage his property. Please provide suggestions.

    submitted by /u/Trenchant_Karma
    [link] [comments]

    Conduit Help

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    First of all thank you! because with this thread's help, I have settled on a Reolink system. I'll have 6 bullet cameras and 2 dome cameras all on the outside. I have a 3 story brick townhouse with 5' white fence all around. So I am planning to install these cameras at least 15'-20' high. I was planning on running a pvc conduit pipe 3/4" at the camera height all around the house to run the POE wires.

    I have the following question: 1. Does the camera come with a setup where I can directly connect it to a pvc conduit pipe or do I need conduit boxes?

    1. If I need a conduit box would a professional install mean installing cameras right on conduit box or would the box be detached from the camera?

    Btw running PoE wires indoors is not an optional as this is a rental building, my NVR will be in the basement and running cables 2 floors up and in 4 direction will be very impossible.

    TYIA!

    submitted by /u/aparm91
    [link] [comments]

    Outdoor security camera - suggestions/advice

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 09:15 PM PDT

    I have been researching outdoor security cam solely for the purpose of documenting a guy in the neighborhood driving around numerous times and slowing down and/or stopping in front of our driveway if female family members are present.

    It's a ridiculously small rural town, so besides this person only 5-10 cars probably drive past each day and one is the mail lady.

    The location that the camera would need to be for my purposes is rather far from a power source, so i'd need to bury a power line to that location or an extension cord, which we would rather not do, but do understand if that is only solution that delivers what we need.

    We don't necessarily need wifi/internet access. I think ideally it would just have a motion sensor and record a clip to a SD card when it's triggered. Maybe a 10-20 second clip, so that it can be seen that the person slows down and/or stops at driveway in these situations. As I said, we are rural so there's not a lot of activity other than this guy, so as long as the motion detection isn't so sensitive that it detects slight light changes or grass blowing in wind, I think it would work.

    So my question is if anyone has used a device that can do this at minimum? If not, is there a wired version that saves to a sd card? I'd also rather not run an ethernet cable out to this location if possible. Having instant access and the wireless / cloud storage features that Ring etc sell are not important to me.

    If there is not a device that can do this at the moment, I guess I go wired. But in 2020 you'd hope this is not too large an ask. Price wise I'd go higher to get these 2 specific features. (battery/motion sensor triggered video storage to sd)

    Quality of image is not as important. Even at 720p, his car would be recognizable. But framerate of 30fps at least might better exhibit the slowing down/stopping fluidly as opposed to choppy where it's less obvious what's going on.

    It's hard to tell from amazon reviews if the bad reviews are faulty devices or if those are the realities.

    Thanks in advance to anyone who has first hand experience with a device that can deliver in this way or if I should be just looking at a wired system. (in that case a recommendation would be appreciated as well)

    submitted by /u/aggressive_beep
    [link] [comments]

    Security cameras with no internet. What are my options?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 08:43 AM PDT

    I could really use some help. I own a 3 family building across town and would like to set up some cameras.

    I've had drama of a hit and run car out front and a slip and fall in the driveway so I'd like to be able to capture footage and review it.

    I don't live in the building so I have no internet there. Getting internet isn't a viable option because it would cost $55/mo.

    I want a camera out front, a camera out back and some cameras in the basement. I'd like night vision.

    What are my options? Thanks in advance. I know virtually nothing about security cameras.

    submitted by /u/two_pounds
    [link] [comments]

    Converting a wireless doorbell chime to work with Amcrest Video doorbell kit?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 10:49 AM PDT

    Hoping this is the right group of experts to help with my question. I have an existing Heath wireless doorbell system. I want to replace the doorbell outside with the Amcrest Video doorbell kit. Reading through the instructions, there is a chime conversion kit for wired doorbell chimes. It also says it works with wireless chimes, but searching online there are none currently it supports. I was curious if there was a way to open up the chime itself and solder wires to the correct connections to give the Amcrest chime conversion power and the ability to trigger the wireless chime.

    Amcrest doorbell: https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Doorbell-Weatherproof-Wide-Angle-AD110/dp/B07ZJS3L5Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=amcrest+doorbell&qid=1587491276&sr=8-3

    Amcrest doorbell manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JmduLOXZetxixoFjSTGhf5IbDlLUHB7M/view

    Wireless chime I have: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Heath-Zenith-Wireless-Plug-In-Door-Chime-and-Entry-Alert-SL-7368-02/100627086

    submitted by /u/djwhowe
    [link] [comments]

    Honeywell Lyric Question

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 07:32 PM PDT

    So, I think I have settled on this. Am I correct that the cellular module is 3g for att and CDMA for Verizon? Does it make sense to go with the Verizon module then since they plan to shut down CDMA in the next few years?

    Also, any Ethernet module yet for the controller? I am looking to go dual path and prefer Ethernet to WiFi.

    submitted by /u/gaff2049
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone Use Andersen Varilock Sensors?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 07:30 PM PDT

    Have questions. I am planning on either using ADT Command (got confirmation with a module it supports these) or Honeywell lyric (know these work with it). Is it just the verilocks I need? No open close sensor in addition to it and no translator which is for diy? The local Andersen dealer is clueless. Quoted me 1 of each sensor per window plus the translator and I think all I need is the verilock.

    How well do they work? Assume like any other sensor just with better aesthetic?

    submitted by /u/gaff2049
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendation for panel to connect pre-wired security system

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 03:22 PM PDT

    We moved into our new home this winter and I had it pre-wired to all the doors and windows with reed switches home run to my panel location.

    I had initially planned on doing something more DIY (Konnected.io'ish), but I'm now looking at a more professional system because I have done enough DIY lately.

    I feel like I'm having a difficult time understanding what I need to purchase to get the functionality below:

    1) Home Assistant reporting - I would like to have all of my windows and doors be individually reportable as binary sensors in there. I have 35 doors/windows.

    2) I have 2 motion detectors, 1 siren, and 1 keypad location (cat 5e drop) pre-wired. I would like to be able to add more motion detector but have them be wireless.

    3) I just bought a 12 camera lorex nvr: https://www.lorextechnology.com/nvr-network-video-recorder/4k-security-nvr/N881A63B-W-1-p

    It has an alarm block on the back that I'm not 100% sure how that works but I would like to consider it (nvr is located next to alarm panel).

    4) I would like to be able to add optional monitoring down the road via internet but I do also like the cell backup option I've seen.

    Really appreciate the guidance.

    submitted by /u/shoeman22
    [link] [comments]

    Camera suggestions

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 06:55 AM PDT

    New here, but thought this would be the right place to ask ☺️ I'm wanting to get three cameras for my house and carport to catch any potential intruders.

    I'd like to set it up to be able to monitor and record locally or on a computer, and then set up an automatic upload to google drive.

    Two of the cameras could be wired, but at least one would have to be wireless as I am in a rental property.

    What would you guys and gals recommend?

    Thanks in advance for you help 👍

    submitted by /u/dantritt
    [link] [comments]

    Best indoor/outdoor security cameras

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 04:07 PM PDT

    So my boyfriend and I have been thinking about getting cameras for a while and haven't looked into it too much until now. Our 2 year old German Shepard started having seizures and we want an extra eye in the house now on top of wanting it to protect our children. So here are a few things to explain our situation.

    We live out in the country and we don't have very many neighbors. We are renting and want something we can take down and take with us when we buy a house. We want something that has good visibility so when we watch footage back we can actually see what was happening. My boyfriend is worried about anyone hacking into the system and stuff like that as well.

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you need more details please let me know. I'm not too great at this. :(

    submitted by /u/NoEscapeBanana
    [link] [comments]

    Want to self monitor - Qolsys Panel 2, ADT Pulse, Concord Express hardwiring, z-wave sensors

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 11:27 AM PDT

    Hi folks, I'm new to home security and am hoping for some guidance. I've been reading through a lot of threads but can't seem to grasp where I should start and am hoping for some help from your expertise.

    I just bought a house that had what I thought was an ADT system in it. The ADT guy came out and said it looked like a DIY system, and he could upgrade the equipment and install a "real" ADT one. I am really confused, were the previous owners self monitoring? I want a self monitoring system but am not sure where to start with this. Alarm.com seems to be the answer most people mention, but I cant figure out where to start or what additional hardware I need. I have some home automation experience and all of the sensors are z-wave, but I cant figure out how to view the cameras or what to buy to make this self monitoring. There's also a Concord Express hardwired system (pictured in link) in addition to the Qolsys Panel & Pulse Gateway that I'm not sure how it relates to the rest of the system or what it does.

    What would you do with this equipment if you wanted to self monitor and have access to the cameras? Thank you for any help!

    Pictures of system, plugins, and cameras: https://imgur.com/a/DiWr3bV

    Not pictured are glass break sensors & motion sensors.

    submitted by /u/meowmeowmeow73
    [link] [comments]

    landlord lowkey spying on me?

    Posted: 21 Apr 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    Hello! So I live with three girls and were all pretty tight. One of the girls parents owns the house. Last year was great, then this year a couple months ago it got kind of rocky with the girl who's family owns the house. She started like dictating who we can and cannot have over, and random rules that aren't on the lease (nor would anyone try and bestill upon their roommates lol). And it was whatever. Then I just kinda asked her like hey, are you planning on renewing our lease? (Cuz even though she turned kinda cray I still low-key wanted to live here bc the house is baller and the rent is low). And she told us all that she wasn't renewing our leases and decided awhile ago. So that's whatever, kinda expected it so its fine and there's so many places we can rent haha. Anyways, ever since we moved I've been asking for ring access. I never was like really "friends" with the girl even though we were in the same group, more like acquaintances. Thats kinda how we all were. And she kept forgetting to give me access or whatever. But one girl eventually got it. Well fast forward to now me and my roommate are home alone and the Next Door App (if you've ever heard of it) has reported SOO many break ins/stolen cars in our street/neighborhood. Like an ALARMING amount. like 10 a night basically. So the girl who's parents own the house, told us that her dad was pick her up to go home last week. So before she left I said hey can you give me access to the ring, there is a lot of shady stuff going on. She said she had to talk with her mom about it. So I texted her the next day and asked for an update, she said no update but to keep porch lights on. I said ok. Then i texted her the day after... no response... the day after ... no response... so then a couple days ago I decided to just reach out to her mom (should've in the first place bc she is the landlord) and her response was basically why do you need it? something happen?. I didn't respond because I didn't feel like I needed to and honestly I was just heated AF.. Also I want to include in this essay that me and my friend/roomate have a coworker who is black and whenever he comes over the mom/landlord comments to her daughter/my roommate "who is the black boy coming over?" (CAN YOU IMAGINE!!!) I'm adding that because she comments on who we have over and its weird and uncomfortable and me and my other roommate don't understand why the people in the house can't see who's coming in, but someone who lives in another state can just because they own the house? Like we hear weird things at night and would love access to see what is goin on. Is that unreasonable!? SOO then yesterday me and my roommate decided to cover up the ring because we were pissed (lol we know it was petty). I just happen to be the one on camera doing ithahahahahhahahahahaha. It didn't actually touch the ring. Its just an inflatable limbo stick. Nor did it damage the property... she send me a really rude text today saying that the ring will not provide us anything to keep us safe, and due to my actions she will not give me access to the ring at this time. BUT YALL this isn't a game like this is our safety. So now im annoyed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I feel like my character is being targeted (just to preface, I'm a very nice 20 something year old girl, pay all my bills on time, am genuinely so clean and neat, I'm nice and bubbly, like I'm in grad school at a really good school getting a degree to help kids. like I mean I am proud of who I am!?!?!!)

    submitted by /u/heyyall0609
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment