• Breaking News

    Wednesday, April 1, 2020

    Home Improvement: What is the best affordable quality of life project you've done to your home?

    Home Improvement: What is the best affordable quality of life project you've done to your home?


    What is the best affordable quality of life project you've done to your home?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 05:37 AM PDT

    Before finishing my basement I installed an automatic dust pan in the kitchen. It wasn't hard as I could just run the vacuum line to the central vac pipes in the basement. It was less than $80 and it's something we use every couple days.

    submitted by /u/FortnightlyBorough
    [link] [comments]

    can someone help me figure out how to replace my lightbulb?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:15 PM PDT

    The overhead light in my kitchen has burnt out and I can't figure out how to get the cover off to get to the bulb and replace it. I've tried unscrewing the glass center part but nothing is moving. anyone have ideas?

    submitted by /u/boutthatbread
    [link] [comments]

    Perplexed by my patio door

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:48 PM PDT

    I bought a house recently and I have patio doors in my kitchen and living room. For whatever reason, one of the doors is sealed in and cannot be opened. In fact, it does not appear to be hinges on the non-opening door. This is the same for both the kitchen and living room patio door. I intend to make both doors operable. But before I proceed, I am curious why it may be installed that way. Maybe I am missing something?

    Picture

    submitted by /u/roadrunner919
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone help me identify what these are in basement

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:52 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm doing some cleaning in my mother's basement and have hooked up some fluorescent lights, but when I got to installing the last one I came across this. I wasn't sure what this was so I just left it and was hoping some one could give me some insight on what it was.

    Her home was built in 1943 and is a 1400 square foot bungalow. Thank you

    https://imgur.com/gallery/rSwRkEE

    submitted by /u/Stinky_Dog
    [link] [comments]

    Contractor cut a quartz countertop in my garage.

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:24 PM PDT

    My garage, and everything in it, is now coated in quartz dust.

    Am I or my family in danger from this?

    If I haul everything out and clean it off, is that sufficient.

    Kinda pissed.

    submitted by /u/Bipolar_Wookie
    [link] [comments]

    How to fix a brick mailbox that was run over?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:10 PM PDT

    The neighbors across the street backed into their brick mailbox and it fell into 2 pieces, 1/3rd on still standing and 2/3rd on the ground, but still complete.

    Thought I'd try to surprise them and fix it, but have no idea how to actually pickup the fallen section - any ideas?

    submitted by /u/callmejeremy
    [link] [comments]

    Balcony Privacy Options

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    Hoping you guys can help me figure out a simple solution. We have a small balcony in our apartment that we never use because it faces a parking lot and some barbed wire. The view's pretty awful and I don't like the lack of privacy. It seems like the easiest and cheapest option would be to go with some bamboo fencing but I'm not sure how to secure it to this wall. I don't want to drill into anything since we're just renting. What options do I have here? Not attached to the bamboo fencing idea either.

    Picture of what I'm working with

    submitted by /u/__Kevin
    [link] [comments]

    Liftmaster keypad opens garage door but won't close?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:58 PM PDT

    My parents-in-law have a Liftmaster opener. They asked me to reset the code on the keypad. So, I read the instructions on how to do it, and did it. Now, no matter what I do, if I use the keypad, the door opens fine, but it will not close. Yes, I have verified that there is nothing obstructing the IR sensors along the bottom of the door. The car remote works; the wall button works. It's just that the keypad will not trigger the door to close, only open. Searched high and low and can't find an answer that does not involve ensuring the sensors are not blocked, or resetting the opener, which I've done. Anyone?

    submitted by /u/brock_lee
    [link] [comments]

    Hvac drain leak in attic - water bubbled between paint and drywall. How do I even start repairing this?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:51 PM PDT

    How to get rid of the stains in this white wooden cupboard?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:16 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/vANpmmT

    Apologize if I post in the wrong sub. I tried rubbing this wooden cupboard with baking soda and vinegar but the stains wont come out. Can I repaint it ? What if I repaint it and the paint drips fall down? (Because this cupboard is attached to the wall and underneath is my counter with electric stove). Sorry if this is the wrong sub. Thanks

    submitted by /u/myfluffybunny
    [link] [comments]

    How should I fix the rusty degraded parts of the rack in our dishwasher?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:47 PM PDT

    Probably a very common problem but our dishwasher has rusty parts of the rack that have really degraded.

    What's the best way to fix it? Some aerosol plastic spray or something?

    Thanks for your advice

    submitted by /u/notanimalnotmineral
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the best/easiest way to convert a packed gravel driveway to grass?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 06:16 PM PDT

    Our 100yo house has a packed dirt and gravel driveway which I would like to shorten and convert to grass. I was thinking of renting a high end tiller from HD, tilling, raking up all the gravel and then spreading grass seed. Is this a reasonable plan?

    image1

    image2

    submitted by /u/mburshteyn1
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for ideas: updating an older bathroom makeup vanity

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    I'm looking for some advice or ideas to spruce up this old bathroom makeup vanity.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/VjyxLJJ

    I'd like to spend less than $100 to refresh it, but I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas to do so. Some of the issues I'd like to fix:

    Drawers have gaps and don't slide well

    Countertop is very worn

    Wood near the floor has also worn

    Removing the entire thing would be costly as we would have to replace the tile and window trim surrounding it. Any ideas would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/kayayay02
    [link] [comments]

    Wall joints?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 10:50 PM PDT

    Can someone tell me what is up with this trim in between wall sheets?

    I'm looking at purchasing my first give and all my experience is with homes with drywall/plasterboard.

    It's this inferior? Can something be done to remove them? Or would the whole walls need to be replaced? image of walls

    submitted by /u/MamaMilk7
    [link] [comments]

    Radiant heat DIY?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:01 PM PDT

    I'm doing preliminary research. I came across Radiantec, has anyone used this company? The set up seems to make sense. I figured I'd do the loops and then have a plumber hook it up.

    Has anyone done this before?

    submitted by /u/BrickTamland_
    [link] [comments]

    Help Request - Washing Machine Sounds like a Squealing Pig

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 08:34 PM PDT

    Just replaced the bearings and tub seal, and for a week this machine ran smooth and silent. It is a Maytag Bravos XL. Now, when it is agitating like in the video, there is an awfully loud squeal. The squeal is a bit quieter on full spin, but it is no longer silent as it was right after the repair. There are no error codes, and the squealing noise is the only symptom. When I first heard this squeal, I honestly thought a hurt animal was at my back door. Is something screwed in too tight on my repair work? Are the new bearings faulty? Is there another issue? Any advice appreciated.

    Video: https://imgur.com/a/k7AD3IO

    submitted by /u/gijoeusa
    [link] [comments]

    Is a buying a working vintage 50’s or 60’s electric range a huge mistake?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 12:38 PM PDT

    Hello new friends on reddit. I'm buying my first house, and it was built in the 60's. It needs lots of updating and new appliances, but I'd really like to nod to the vintage of the house on the redesign, since I love mid century modern design. I will have very little $ left after purchasing, so I had an idea to buy a vintage range. (OMG NEW STOVES ARE SO EXPENSIVE) Specifically a 50's GE or hotpoint double oven or 60's Flair, in working order, if I can find one. I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, but I'm relatively intelligent and able to look up easier fixes online (because I am aware it may be difficult to find someone who knows how to maintain it) Is this a terrible idea? I live in the PNW.

    Edit: also I'm new to reddit so please lmk if there are other more relevant communities I should be posting to!

    submitted by /u/Ta8atha
    [link] [comments]

    [Advice] Angle Grinding Sparks When Grinding Concrete and Motor Gets Hot

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 06:18 PM PDT

    I just got a 4.5 inch angle grinder with a 4 inch diamond cup wheel to remove the sealant on my concrete floor to prepare for an epoxy coat..

    Now I installed everything correctly and started up tonight. As soon as I gently put down the diamond cup wheel on the concrete sparks started to fly and I got a little worried so I stopped. Anyone have advice or experience with this?

    submitted by /u/JDGWl
    [link] [comments]

    Do I stagger drywall on the ceiling like you have to on the walls?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 07:45 PM PDT

    Montana. Want to finish my grandma's basement and I was wondering about a few things. Also do I leave a 2 inch gap between the concrete wall and the wall frame I want to put in?

    submitted by /u/Ranchking91
    [link] [comments]

    anyone know if its possible to change "default settings" on a Smart Samsung Washer/Dryer?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 01:44 PM PDT

    I have a Samsung Smart Washer/Dryer (WF45R6300AV and DVE45R6300V). I'm trying to change a few default settings on it and was wondering if it was possible. I can't figure out how to "save" anything I do. Basically, when I turn the Washer on and it's on it's "Normal" setting, I want it to wash with cold water (level 1), instead of warm water (level 3). I get if I can't change the actual settings of the Normal preset, but is there a way to make it default to a different setting (my premade one)? For the dryer, I'd like dryness level to be 5 instead of 3 by default. My clothes always come out damp, so I've started running a second "timed dry" EVERY TIME I run the dryer. I'd also like to default "Wrinkle Prevention" on if possible. I don't see anything about saving defaults in the manuals. I see I can make "favorites" in the SmartThings app, but then it looks like I always need to have my phone to start the machines instead of just being able to do it from the machine itself.

    submitted by /u/itsxluigi
    [link] [comments]

    Do you have to call the utilities to move their pipes, plumbing and wires around for me or can I do it myself?

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:37 PM PDT

    Say I wanted to re-arrange some water pipes and metal ducting in my basement and fasten the cable and phone cables in a different place.

    submitted by /u/Ranchking91
    [link] [comments]

    How to uninstall engineered hardwood to check underneath for MOLD

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:26 PM PDT

    Backstory

    I've had several spills in this smaller room where freshly squeezed juices have been forgotten there and proceeded to leak out over 3-7 days. Resulting in some of this juice liquid staying there on top of the hardwood for 2-5 days. It's happened a few times and I'm concerned their may be mold under it.

    No the hardwood was never topped with a seal - regret it now.

    It was professionally installed 2 years ago, with baseboards around the room. My questions is what would the most idiot proof way be to uninstall some of the hardwood where I could check underneath the boards for mold then reinstall it?

    Thanks for all the help

    submitted by /u/Gypsy99x
    [link] [comments]

    Converting 2-prong outlet to 3-prong

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 04:11 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/rKJQuBU 1960(ish) wiring

    I'm in Michigan and had an electrician in doing wiring for a master bath renovation. He saw the back of an outlet in the master bedroom itself (see picture) and told me I could replace my 2-prong with 3-prong if I did... something. It didn't quite register but he indicated these copper ground ties were part of the solution. Any idea what the path forward is? Do I just run a little piece of ground wire from the ground post on the outlet to these little copper ties that hit the metal box?

    submitted by /u/Erollins04
    [link] [comments]

    Foundation for a concrete stoop/front step

    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 09:02 PM PDT

    Hi,

    Anyone have any idea about best practices for concrete steps/stoops (whatever they're called)? I've just added a second story to my house and a small 'mudroom' addition in front and would like to pour a relatively large set of steps leading up to the door. I don't wan't them to move/separate, but it seems sort of excessive to dig down to the frost line and pour a continuous footer for a silly little stair case.

    Could I treat this like a thickened edge slab and have the bottom step be sort of like the slab of a building? Can I use sonotubes or something equivalent to create pillars down to the frostline that get filled at the same time as the rest of the pour? How many should there be and how should they be placed? Should I dowel into my house or should I just let it float?

    This must be a fairly common project with well defined best practices, but then again I see a huge number of front steps separating from the house so maybe this is something that most people do badly. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/LickitySplit939
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment