• Breaking News

    Monday, March 9, 2020

    Home security: I have a hole, and it is hot.....(this isn't a joke)

    Home security: I have a hole, and it is hot.....(this isn't a joke)


    I have a hole, and it is hot.....(this isn't a joke)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:06 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right subreddit for this, sorry if it isn't... I found a hole in my wall (the other side of the wall is my neighbor), its about enough to put the tip of a finger through, and the wall is literally hot, like I almost burned my hand when I touched the rim of the hole. Its the hottest around the hole, gets colder going away from it. What is this? And why is it hot? I can post a picture if you ask

    submitted by /u/donutsonsale
    [link] [comments]

    New homeowner, new locks

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I recently moved in to a new condo and need to change the deadbolt on the front door.

    Does anyone have any experience with ASSA 7000 series locks? Specifically 7900?

    https://www.assalock.com/en/products/deadbolts/7000/

    If so, where do you buy these locks?

    Is mrlock.com reputable?

    How do you get keys copied and how many does the lock come with?

    Can you key a padlock to the same key as the ASSA lock?

    I know that in addition to swapping out deadbolts, I should use longer screws for the strike plate and the hinges.

    submitted by /u/rpi2
    [link] [comments]

    Need help understanding security camera system that came with home purchase. Photo link in comments.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:26 PM PDT

    https://imgur.com/a/88fYFBa

    Hello everyone,

    I have a new house that has a variety of cameras around the property.

    I know next to nothing about these cameras. From doing some research it looks like it's going to be complicated. Or maybe they are obsolete now...

    Any pointers on how to get started understanding this security system.

    Please let me know if I need to provide further details.

    Thank you

    submitted by /u/TheAlamoo
    [link] [comments]

    Vivint Help/Advice

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 01:33 PM PDT

    I, a former Sergeant of Marines, was duped this weekend by an extremely pushy and manipulative Vivant salesman. On Saturday (3/7) I was prepping my lawn for the spring with my back towards the street, spot treating some weeds and I see the salesman behind me. I turned and thought to myself "Ill let him do his spiel and tell him no" . Its not even clear to me how but my wife nearby heard the conversation and got pulled into the conversation. I didnt want to come across as rude to my wife in front of a third party but I knew the minute she invited him in, it was done.

    He was very convincing, manipulative, and pushy. It wasnt until signing that he mentioned I would be financing the equipment for 60 months. No mention of Vivint's rights to increase the price to monitor after the 60 month term. He told me installation would happen the next day, Sunday (3/8) at 1PM. 1PM came and went, and I called the salesman at 1:40 and he told me they "ran out of inventory" and that installation would have to be another day. It wasnt obvious but what a red flag. i was livid though because I had rearranged my whole schedule for this. He called 30 mins later and said a tech would be out that same day at 4PM. Installation went as planned.

    After reading reviews on BBB, Consumer Reports and the Reddit community, I felt sick to my stomach. I called customer service and they gave me the whole rundown about how they could lower my payments and I told them "I dont care what you say, this does not align to my financial goals and was susceptible to a convincing and manipulative salesman. The contract is over". They setup an appointment for tomorrow (3/10). I also emailed [documents@vivint.com](mailto:documents@vivint.com) with my notice to cancel with account #, service # and cancellation case #.

    Looking for advice on if I have done the right thing. I am within my 3 day window, I just want to be done with them and ensure I have covered all my bases and move on with my life.

    submitted by /u/texasixtyR
    [link] [comments]

    Would like to further secure front door when out of town/night but concerned about garage door to get back in.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 11:03 PM PDT

    Title probably didn't make much sense but hopefully this post does.

    I have two keyed entries into my house; front door and door from inside the garage. We use the door within the garage 90% of time, especially when coming home in the car.

    The front door just has the deadbolt but I would like to further secure it (alarmed door stop, bar, etc.) when out of the house for extended periods of time or even at night.

    The reason I haven't is the fear of one day the garage door not opening or otherwise malfunctioning and needing to use the front the door to get back in. Obviously if the front door has any of those extra security measures in place, we're not getting in. I understand we could place extra security at night while we're home but there's a pretty good chance it would get left in place while we rush out the garage door in the car in the morning.

    Looking for thoughts on how to best handle this situation. The garage has only the remote rolling door, no side doors/windows. Generally are there other ways to get into the garage if the door/remote/motor fails?

    The door into the house from the garage has a deadbolt + handle lock but aside from that I haven't secured the garage with anything extra.

    Appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/HistoricalLocksmith5
    [link] [comments]

    Just bought a house...totally overwhelmed by options

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 10:18 AM PDT

    Hi all! My partner and I just bought a house in a "transitional" neighborhood in the Bay Area. We have a hefty, spiked metal gate at the sidewalk but there is no active security system in the house itself. The previous owners had Comcast (?) and no break-ins (they lived there for 10 years). Ideally, I'd like to have sensors on all 9 of the ground-floor windows and the front door (only door), with professional monitoring. A camera would be nice but not required. I'm not interested in home automation at this point.

    I feel like there are just too many options (SimpliSafe, Nest, Ring, Abode, ADT, Vivint), and because I've never gotten a security system before, I don't have the expert knowledge to make an informed decision. What are your recommendations?

    I don't mind buying the equipment upfront, but I'd love to keep the monthly cost under ~$50.

    submitted by /u/hwy4
    [link] [comments]

    New Subreddit: /r/alarmdotcom Ask questions, get answers, and help each other with Alarm.com

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    A new subreddit has been created for discussion of Alarm.com and the surrounding ecosystem. Learn, get help, share news or just chat about Alarm, Qolsys, 2GIG, DSC, Interlogix, Z-Wave, and anything related.

    /r/alarmdotcom

    We're looking for mods if you're an Alarm.com professional, expert or enthusiast and want to help.

    submitted by /u/suretyhome
    [link] [comments]

    The hole

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    Video doorbell with wifi & POE + RTSP, is this any good?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    Motion detection

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 11:45 PM PDT

    I'm trying to find a good motion detection camera for outdoor and indoor that is battery powered. Has good Infared for night time 50 to 100 feet I'm guessing, and doesn't have wifi capability.

    submitted by /u/dancingdeers
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment